3,295 Reviews
 (2,335)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good range and good audio quality
Update March 2014: I am not changing my review (read below) but I just wanted to mention that Amphony just released an integrated Bluetooth receiver/amplifier which I am now using instead of the Homespot/Amphony stackup. Excellent sound quality and less expensive than the combo I am reviewing below.

My Homespot Bluetooth receiver review:

I have been...
Published 7 months ago by Janice Sehr

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Range....
I loved the idea of this product. I received it and hooked it up, and it had very little range. SO I ordered a long audio cable from my sound system to make the bluetooth device closer to a good range. NO change, I get about 10 feet away and I get only bits and pieces of music. HELP ?
Published 2 months ago by Thomas J. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Good range and good audio quality, February 2, 2014
This review is from: HomeSpot NFC-Enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System (Electronics)

My Homespot Bluetooth receiver review:

I have been debating whether to buy a pair of wireless speakers for my patio. There is a barage of models on the market and after testing a few of those I instead opted for the Homespot NFC Bluetooth receiver which I have connected to an Amphony 200 mini amp and a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Here is why:

1) The sound quality of almost all Bluetooth speakers that I tested does not compare to the sound of my bookshelf speakers - not even by a longshot.

2) The sound quality coming from my Homespot NFC and my Amphony 200 is excellent. Obviously it is only as good as the source material. Most of the music that I stream is compressed in some fashion. Depending on the bitrate and compression format, it sounds either very good or less decent. However, this wireless combination rocks.

3) The range that I can get is a lot better than the range of some of these Bluetooth speakers. I can get around 50 feet of range depending on what I use as the transmitter. My Samsung Galaxy phone has the highest range. I also have a Bluetooth USB dongle which on the other hand has horrible range (less than 15 feet).

4) This receiver along with the amp is really inexpensive.

5) Both the receiver and the mini amp are small. I actually have the receiver stacked on the amp itself so it stores away nicely.

6) I can use any speaker to connect to the amp plus my mini amps pumps out really loud volume, a lot more than any of the Bluetooth speakers that I have tried without distorting.

So thumbs up for the Homespot NFC.

5.0 out of 5 stars HomeSpot NFC vs. Logitech Bluetooth Receiver, July 22, 2013
I wanted to upgrade my sound system with a Bluetooth receiver so that I didnt have to have my phone tethered to the system if I wanted to listen to music. So, after some research, I bought the Logitech Bluetooth Receiver thinking that I wouldnt be able to go wrong. How wrong I was. Bluetooth streaming compresses your audio because it cannot handle the amount of data that is being streamed, so I was not surprised when I heard less bass impact and distortion in the highs. Then, wanting to compare that with a newer product, I bought the HomeSpot. And I was consequently blown away.

1. Sound Quality: The HomeSpot seems to have a built in amplifier and I was hearing much better bass impact and treble in my music. Even classical music with its high's didnt have the amount of distortion that the Logitech had.

2. Looks/Footprint: The HomeSpot is smaller than the logitech but it does lose out in the looks department. The logitech looks classier and more streamlined. That being said, it is more than twice as big.

3. Range: The HomeSpot has much better range than the Logitech and does not cut out when I placed my body between the phone and the receiver. That being said, if there is a thick wall between the streamer and the receiver, there will be signal quality issues.

4. Cables: This is one region where the logitech wins. The logitech has a better charger and longer cables. I had to place the HomeSpot on top of my subwoofer until I figured out a way to thread the cable to my cabinet. However, because this does have longer range, this shouldnt be a problem for most people.

So overall, the HomeSpot won for me because of its superior sound quality and its staggering $13 dollar difference between it and the logitech. I would have no problem recommending this to any of my friends and to any of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bluetooth Receiver Ever!, August 26, 2013
Overall: Before I purchased this item I thought long and hard about my setup; rather to use Bluetooth or Airplay. After considering cost and equipment, Bluetooth became my standard of choice. After reading the reviews I decided that the HomeSpot Bluetooth Audio Receiver would be my receiver of choice. This was not an easy decision since I am a brand loyalist. The Logitech receiver also has rave reviews, but it cost $12 more. With money being an issue, I purchased the HomeSpot. Let¡¦s just say, I could not be happier. This receiver paired with the Leipai 2020A+ Mini Stereo Receiver and a pair of Bose 301 Series IV bookshelf speakers (that I have owned for 10 years) are a knock out combination. I was instantly blown away by the performance.
Sound quality: It rocks! I am no audiophile, but this sounds great. I only notice a slight bump in quality with direct aux in. However the versatility of Bluetooth makes this setup ideal. It¡¦s great in situations where music is secondary to the action (i.e. offices, parties, barbershops, and BBQs)
Range: I become more impressed as I purposely and accidentally push this product to its limit with better than expected returns. This product is easily worth 3x the price; here's why. This device cost $26; I often wonder why Bose charges $100 for their BT receivers. I own several BT devices that do not equal the range of the HomeSpot. Namely, Jawbone¡¦s Jambox and the Bose Soundlink. These speakers are good in their own right, but the Jawbone Jambox requires direct line of sight in order to work. It often loses connection when I walk across the room with my phone in my pocket. The Soundlink has the tendency to crackle when paired with my Macbook Pro. However, the HomeSpot has phenomenal range. I accidentally left the office with my phone in pocket to go across the hall. When I returned to my office to look for my phone... I was shocked when I realized it was in my pocket the whole time while the music continuously played. Wow! This thing transmits through concrete walls. While at lunch, I give my phone to a coworker located in the office next door, divided by a half wall. He controls the music and volume with ease. No interference! Simply amazing!
Devices: This device easily paired to all of my Android and iDevices. I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, iPod Touch 4G, and iPod Nano 7G. With the Nexi the NFC pairing worked flawlessly out of the box (touch and go) just that easy.
Hopefully this review was helpful, if so click yes :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and Perfectly Simple, March 7, 2014
Keith Burgoyne (Westminster, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The HomeSpot Bluetooth Receiver is one of those rare products that is amazingly simple, straight-forward, and extremely functional. Just plug it in, connect up the cable to your stereo, pair your phone (or whatever) to it just like your Bluetooth hands free ear piece, and you're all set.

I'm using it in my computer room/office. The unit is small enough that I just stuck it behind the wireless charging stand for my Nokia Icon cell phone. I never intended to care that much about range. I just wanted to get rid of the need to plug and unplug wires all the time. Since the phone has wireless charging, it's a luxury just plopping the phone down on its wireless charging stand and also have it play music through my audio system without fiddling with any wires.

The HomeSpot amazed me the other night. I took my cell phone halfway across the house just to listen to a quick podcast using my phone's speaker while brushing my teeth. Turned out, the phone was still paired to the HomeSpot. I didn't realize that Bluetooth supported that kind of range.

I'm a bit of an audiophile and I listen to a very broad range of music. Classic rock (hard and soft), some pop C&W, classical, Broadway musicals, etc. I did some testing of various big name low-to-mid priced Bluetooth speakers and rejected them. I expected to reject the low-price ones, but I was very disappointed in the garbage companies like Sony were putting out at even the mid-price range. It was necessary to get into the high-priced stuff to start getting decent quality.

The audio quality on the mid-priced units was probably good enough to mislead the average consumer, but an audiophile could easily tell they were lousy. If you've already got a good sound system at home and listen to quality full spectrum music, don't waste your ears on Bluetooth speakers. This HomeSpot will drive your home audio system at whatever quality you have for source material. (If you've compressed your music, it'll give you lousy compressed music quality. Don't get carried away compressing your music and then make the mistake of blaming your audio system.)

I only have one complaint I've found with the HomeSpot. I (personally) wish it had a shorter Bluetooth range. I'd rather be able to walk out of my computer room with my cell phone and have the pairing automatically break, than to be halfway across the house and discover that my podcast is playing through the HomeSpot back in my computer room. :-) But hey, somehow I suspect other people would probably prefer the HomeSpot working over a long range.

A note for people who may not have experience with multiple Bluetooth devices paired to their cell phone. Your phone should have some setting location where you can manually tell your phone to break the connection with a Bluetooth device while you're still within range of the device. It's probably the same place on your phone you go to establish the original pairing with the device. It's also probably the same place you would go to tell your phone to reconnect with the device later. You normally shouldn't have to go through the pairing procedure again just because you broke the connection. That should normally only be necessary if you told your phone to "forget" the device or if you "deleted" the device from the list of devices your phone knows about.

Quick comment about Mogeeks, through whom I purchased the HomeSpot. I used just normal cheap shipping, and the product was in my mailbox in either two or three business days (forget which). Mogeeks fulfilled the order promptly, accurately, and didn't dally around. There was actually a cell phone case that I ordered from a different company at the same time, and it took a day longer to arrive. The delivery time for the case was "fine" and about as long as I'd typically expect, so I was very happy with the faster delivery time from Mogeeks.

A final note of humor... if your phone seems to be paired just fine with the HomeSpot, your phone appears to be playing your music, and the HomeSpot appears to be properly powered and connected to your audio system, but you're not hearing anything from either your audio system or your phone, check the volume on your phone as well as on your audio system. I spent a few minutes one morning thinking my setup had broken until I finally realized the volume on my phone was turned all the way down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth to RCA - Great Sound, Easy Connection, October 15, 2013
I added an update at the bottom. (6 stars :)
I have had the 'HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System' for about three weeks now and so far it has worked great. My main reason for buying this unit is to stream music from my laptop or my android tablet to my home stereo unit and to be able to control the music remotely without having to go back and forth to the stereo. I will let you know about my experience so far.

Bluetooth Connectivity:
I've connected the HomeSpot to my home stereo unit with the included phone to RCA adapter. Upon plugging in the unit to the power supply (also included), my laptop quickly found the new device and connected easily. Since I've kept the HomeSpot attached to the power supply, each time I power on my laptop, it automatically connects to the HomeSpot. It connects just as easily to my android tablet. Distance wise, I've moved about 30 feet away from the HomeSpot and I have yet to hear any loss in sound quality. So far, I haven't had any problems with Bluetooth connections.

Sound Quality:
I don't claim to be an audiophile but I do like music and enjoy and expect good quality sound. I have been impressed with the quality of sound that comes from my stereo using the HomeSpot. I've yet to experience static or any loss in sound quality. Basically, I have not noticed any deterioration or difference in sound quality compared to devices that I have connected directly to the stereo unit.

Summary:
The HomeSpot is a small square device with a decent looking exterior. It includes all the connections needed to connect the device to a stereo receiver; basically, the phono to rca adapter and the power supply to keep it powered on. It connects easily and consistently. The green LED light switches from an intermittent blink to a gradual on off to indicate when it has connected to a Bluetooth device. Sound quality is clear and crisp and doesn't disappoint. Overall, I am very happy with this device and would definitely recommend.

By the way, prior to buying the HomeSpot, I spent a long time reading reviews about similar devices until narrowing down my search between the HomeSpot and the Logitech. Since reviews were similar, I chose the HomeSpot because of the better price. I am very happy that I did.

Update June 4, 2014
Just wanted to say that this device continues to impress me. Still works as good as the day I bought it and I'll be honest and admit that I have never turned it off. I've left it plugged in (on) for months now even when my stereo unit has been off. I will be plugging in the unit to the switched outlet on my stereo so it will only turn on when I need to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Great is This?, January 24, 2013
D. McCall (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Sometimes you find a technology that does something simple, but amazing. This is one of those. Literally, I received this from the postman and less than 3 minutes later I was playing music through my stereo from my cell phone wirelessly! How? Well, I pulled it out of the package. It came unceremoniously packed in a little zip-top bag with all of the appropriate cables. I plugged the 1/8th inch (headphone) to RCA cable to the AUX input on the stereo. I plugged in the USB power adapter and USB-to-micro-USB cable. I turned on the stereo and switched it to AUX. I tapped my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus which has NFC) on top of the box. My phone asked "Are you sure you want to pair with this device?" I said "Yes". Music started playing! I am currently streaming Spotify from my cell phone to my stereo from about 15 feet away, but I've walked as far as about 50 feet away with no sign that it was losing signal.

The only thing I can find wrong with this is that when I start listening there's a little pop in the speakers (I think from when the device "engages"). Other than that, this does exactly what I want it to do very elegantly. I may buy another one so I can put it on the other stereo in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Elegant Bluetooth for Your Home Audio System, March 1, 2013
Here's the bottom line right here at the top: this little device works, and is well worth the price.

Here are the details:
1. Shipping and communication from this vendor (Mogeeks) could not have been faster.
2. The receiver came in a small bubble pack, with no retail box. Included were the receiver, a one-page instruction sheet, a USB-to-120v power adapter, a 3-foot mini-stereo phono cord, and a 3-foot RCA stereo cord. Not the best packaging, but sufficient.
3. The unit itself is very small (approximately the size of post-it pad).
4. IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Strangely, there is no RCA port on the unit, and no RCA-to-mini stereo adapter was included. Therefore, if you want to connect it to your home stereo via the RCA cable (the most common type of connection), you'll need an adapter. If you already have a mini-stereo input port on your receiver, then no adapter is needed. This missing adapter is the reason for the 4-star rating instead of a 5-star.
5. After pressing the button on the unit to activate broadcast mode, my Nexus 10 tablet recognized the unit, and with one touch, it immediately linked to it and I was able to play music from the tablet wirelessly through my home audio system.
6. It works flawlessly with a Nexus One android phone, a Nexus 10 tablet (using the NFC feature), and an iPad 3. To switch source units, you must repeat the broadcast/recognition step.
7. Compared with similar units I've seen, the range on this is EXCELLENT. I'm able to wander through other rooms, up to 40 feet away with a wall between my tablet and the receiver, and experienced no dropouts whatsoever. Sound quality is very good.
8. There is no on-off switch. If you want to power it off (which I prefer), you have to remove the power cord from the unit.
9. Because the unit is so small, with both the power code and the output cable connected, I had a little trouble pressing the broadcast reset button (between the two cable ports) with my fat finger. This is a small nit, but I thought I'd mention it. It won't be an issue if the device you're coupling uses NFC.

In summary, I'm very happy with the performance and value of this unit, and I really appreciated the quick shipping and good communication from the vendor.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good bluetooth receiver with some drawbacks, August 10, 2013
Overall I'm satisfied with this bluetooth receiver. The price was good and it does the job. I like the small size and the subtle green light that pulses when connected. However, I've experienced a few drawbacks:

1. The receiver works great with my Macbook Air with no audio dropouts. It also connects flawlessly at every attempt. However, when streaming from my iPhone 4s the audio occasionally (maybe once every 3-5 minutes or so) cuts out for half a second before resuming. This happens more often with the HomeSpot than with the bluetooth speaker I was using before (Creative D80). Then again, the D80 didn't work as well with my Macbook.

2. The unit has no connect button. If you have NFC (near-field communication) built into your device then this is probably not an issue for you, but with the iPhone it is annoying to have to go into the settings app and enable the connection each time. It would be easier to just tap a button on the unit and have it connect. The button on the back is only used to enable initial discovery/connect a new device.

3. The range is fine for a single room, but don't expect to be able to walk around the house with your phone in your pocket and listen to music. The transmission doesn't work well through walls (this is just the nature of bluetooth). This isn't a problem for me since I have a single room sound system and use bluetooth just because I like the convenience of being able to control the audio wherever I am in the room and still be able to use my phone if I need to. The Creative D80 had slightly better range, but not much.

Hope that helps

EDIT 8/12/13:

I've done some further research and the dropout problem appears to be a common issue with bluetooth on the iPhone 4s. If you turn WiFi off on the phone then there are no dropouts at all. Of course, this is not really a solution, but it shows that the issue is on Apple's end and not with this receiver. In light of this, I've raised my review one star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, November 13, 2013
I purchased two of these for home, One I have tested, the second is still unopened. The product is packaged in a simple plastic bag with their directions, cables, etc. It is wrapped in bubble wrap so shouldn't be damaged or scratched in shipping. I like this as there is not a ton of packaging to throw away.

It comes with two audio cables, one has RCA connectors and the other 1/8" mini jack. Is powered by a micro USB connector like so many small devices and has a power brick with it (1000ma - 5V). As a side note my iPhone 5 (iOS 7) happily charged from the AC adapter as well.

-------------------

The stuff that matters.

The audio output is a little quieter than the headphone jack on the iPhone. Not really an issue, turn the knob more on the amp. Only a problem if your amp needs a fairly loud source.

Quality: Its not as good as direct. This is where it lost a star for me. I would say about 95% of the original sound is coming through. The highs are not quite as crisp and the lows are very slightly muddied. For most listeners it may be unnoticeable, I only noticed it at high volume when swapping back and forth. I still plan to keep, use, and live with this.

Pairing: It doesn't have any annoying voice menus on how to pair, and immediately goes into pair mode when power is connected. It doesn't auto-pair with my iPhone when it is turned on like some other devices though. This is probably better if you have more than one source, worse if you only have one.

Range: So far I have had it work fine anywhere I have gone in my house. It is in the living room on one end and I went to the far end about 45' away and still worked fine with my phone in my pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Wireless Input, April 14, 2013
The good:
- Sound quality (tested with iPhone 4S & Nokia Lumia 920)
- NFC makes it super easy to pair/connect, I simply hold my phone above the receiver and in a few seconds my phone is streaming to my home stereo
- Non-NFC phones can still quickly pair through their menus
- Small, sits unobtrusively in the entertainment center

The not-so-good:
- Included cables are a bit cheap, but they work fine
- No instructions included, not terribly hard to figure out though

Overall, I bought this to add a wireless "aux-in" to my stereo system and this device is working great for that. I would recommend it!

Rate and Discover Movies