Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 31, 2015
Update March 15:
I recently purchased another set of speakers and instead of the Homespot/Amphony combo which I am reviewing below I decided to go with the Amphony 300 which integrates the Bluetooth receiver and power amplifier into a single tiny unit. Gets rid of a lot of cable clutter. Both the Homespot setup and Amphony work great.

My original review:
I have been debating whether to buy a pair of cordless speakers for my patio. There is a flood of models on the market and after testing a few of those I instead opted for the Homespot NFC Bluetooth receiver which I have connected to an Amphony 200 mini amp and a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Here is why:

1) The sound quality of almost all Bluetooth speakers that I tested does not compare to the sound of my bookshelf speakers - not even by a longshot.

2) The sound quality coming from my Homespot NFC and my Amphony 200 is excellent. Obviously it is only as good as the source material. Most of the music that I stream is compressed in some fashion. Depending on the bitrate and compression format, it sounds either very good or less decent. However, this wireless combination rocks.

3) The range that I can get is a lot better than the range of some of these Bluetooth speakers. I can get around 50 feet of range depending on what I use as the transmitter. My Samsung Galaxy phone has the highest range. I also have a Bluetooth USB dongle which on the other hand has horrible range (less than 15 feet).

4) This receiver along with the amp is really inexpensive.

5) Both the receiver and the mini amp are small. I actually have the receiver stacked on the amp itself so it stores away nicely.

6) I can use any speaker to connect to the amp plus my mini amps pumps out really loud volume, a lot more than any of the Bluetooth speakers that I have tried without distorting.

So thumbs up for the Homespot NFC.
22 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
After reading some of the negative reviews, I almost didn't purchase this. Just got it delivered today and hooked it up to a vintage Luxman receiver and it sounds great. I am completely satisfied. I have quite a few vintage systems and will be ordering a few more.
on January 28, 2015
Brilliant! My car does not have Bluetooth functionality but does have a USB / cigarette charge port and headphone jack, both located in the center console storage cubby. I plugged this in to both and bingo! Now I have Bluetooth in my car....sound is actually very comparable to when I had it hard wired. Great solution. (I used the cigarette port as it powers off when the ignition is off)
on October 15, 2013
I added an update at the bottom. (6 stars :)
I have had the 'HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System' for about three weeks now and so far it has worked great. My main reason for buying this unit is to stream music from my laptop or my android tablet to my home stereo unit and to be able to control the music remotely without having to go back and forth to the stereo. I will let you know about my experience so far.

Bluetooth Connectivity:
I've connected the HomeSpot to my home stereo unit with the included phone to RCA adapter. Upon plugging in the unit to the power supply (also included), my laptop quickly found the new device and connected easily. Since I've kept the HomeSpot attached to the power supply, each time I power on my laptop, it automatically connects to the HomeSpot. It connects just as easily to my android tablet. Distance wise, I've moved about 30 feet away from the HomeSpot and I have yet to hear any loss in sound quality. So far, I haven't had any problems with Bluetooth connections.

Sound Quality:
I don't claim to be an audiophile but I do like music and enjoy and expect good quality sound. I have been impressed with the quality of sound that comes from my stereo using the HomeSpot. I've yet to experience static or any loss in sound quality. Basically, I have not noticed any deterioration or difference in sound quality compared to devices that I have connected directly to the stereo unit.

Summary:
The HomeSpot is a small square device with a decent looking exterior. It includes all the connections needed to connect the device to a stereo receiver; basically, the phono to rca adapter and the power supply to keep it powered on. It connects easily and consistently. The green LED light switches from an intermittent blink to a gradual on off to indicate when it has connected to a Bluetooth device. Sound quality is clear and crisp and doesn't disappoint. Overall, I am very happy with this device and would definitely recommend.

By the way, prior to buying the HomeSpot, I spent a long time reading reviews about similar devices until narrowing down my search between the HomeSpot and the Logitech. Since reviews were similar, I chose the HomeSpot because of the better price. I am very happy that I did.

Update June 4, 2014
Just wanted to say that this device continues to impress me. Still works as good as the day I bought it and I'll be honest and admit that I have never turned it off. I've left it plugged in (on) for months now even when my stereo unit has been off. I will be plugging in the unit to the switched outlet on my stereo so it will only turn on when I need to use it.
on February 27, 2015
I bought this one and the Poweradd™ NFC-Enabled Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver Adapter at the same time. The Poweradd was only $16 so I took a chance. The Poweradd has an awesome build quality compared to the HomeSpot. The Homespot feels light weight and cheap compared to it.
However, when I tested both of them, the Homespot audio quality blew away the Poweradd. The audio is almost as good as a direct connection, which is saying a lot for Bluetooth. The bass is tight and the highs are crisp and clear. I'll use the Homespot for my home office audio and the Poweradd for my garage audio system.
The Homespot also paired quicker at set-up and pairs very quickly afterward.
The Homespot was twice as much as the Poweradd but is well worth the few extra bucks.
I also bought the "Samyo SMSL SA-36A Pro 20W*2 Hifi TPA3118D2DAP Digital Stereo Amplifier AMP with 24V Power Supply" at the same time. It sounds awesome with the Homespot Bluetooth.
on October 23, 2013
This is a great idea and I was thrilled to find out that these kind of things existed, so I ordered one that day. It is a very nice little gadget except it doesn't really have any range. I live in an apartment and I had a tough time getting music to play from more than 15-20 feet. I don't know if that's just my piece, or if these things don't have much range to begin with. But it's a cool product if you plan on using it in a small area, like an office or something.
77 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2013
Overall: Before I purchased this item I thought long and hard about my setup; rather to use Bluetooth or Airplay. After considering cost and equipment, Bluetooth became my standard of choice. After reading the reviews I decided that the HomeSpot Bluetooth Audio Receiver would be my receiver of choice. This was not an easy decision since I am a brand loyalist. The Logitech receiver also has rave reviews, but it cost $12 more. With money being an issue, I purchased the HomeSpot. Let¡¦s just say, I could not be happier. This receiver paired with the Leipai 2020A+ Mini Stereo Receiver and a pair of Bose 301 Series IV bookshelf speakers (that I have owned for 10 years) are a knock out combination. I was instantly blown away by the performance.
Sound quality: It rocks! I am no audiophile, but this sounds great. I only notice a slight bump in quality with direct aux in. However the versatility of Bluetooth makes this setup ideal. It¡¦s great in situations where music is secondary to the action (i.e. offices, parties, barbershops, and BBQs)
Range: I become more impressed as I purposely and accidentally push this product to its limit with better than expected returns. This product is easily worth 3x the price; here's why. This device cost $26; I often wonder why Bose charges $100 for their BT receivers. I own several BT devices that do not equal the range of the HomeSpot. Namely, Jawbone¡¦s Jambox and the Bose Soundlink. These speakers are good in their own right, but the Jawbone Jambox requires direct line of sight in order to work. It often loses connection when I walk across the room with my phone in my pocket. The Soundlink has the tendency to crackle when paired with my Macbook Pro. However, the HomeSpot has phenomenal range. I accidentally left the office with my phone in pocket to go across the hall. When I returned to my office to look for my phone... I was shocked when I realized it was in my pocket the whole time while the music continuously played. Wow! This thing transmits through concrete walls. While at lunch, I give my phone to a coworker located in the office next door, divided by a half wall. He controls the music and volume with ease. No interference! Simply amazing!
Devices: This device easily paired to all of my Android and iDevices. I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, iPod Touch 4G, and iPod Nano 7G. With the Nexi the NFC pairing worked flawlessly out of the box (touch and go) just that easy.
Hopefully this review was helpful, if so click yes :-)
88 comments| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I installed this in my current-gen Maxima that didn't have Bluetooth audio. It's ideal for this purpose. It goes into 'discovery' mode when it receives power, so you don't have the press the pairing button on the back to add a new device. In theory, you could hide it away behind the stereo, though the metal might have some impact on range.

EDIT: To the folks having trouble automatically connecting after pairing, that's a device problem, not a problem with this unit. Multiple apps will force an auto-connect.

To have this in a car, you need to power it. You could use any of a hundred cigarette lighter USB adapters and store it in a compartment near your aux-in port. I opted instead to hardwire it to my fuse box so I could mount it in a hidden location. Here's the parts list:

1. Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse (Amazon, ~$10) - Unless you've got an old pickup with older-style large fuses, this is what you'll need. It inserts into any of your fuse jacks. You'll probably have some empty spaces. No matter if not, it can also replace an existing fuse.

2. DC Converter 12V to 5V 3A USB (EBay, ~$10) - This is a little box that'll give you 5V power from your car's 12V battery. No phone charger will pull over about 2 amps, so it's plenty powerful for this purpose. Many sellers have them pre-wired with USB outputs.

3. Cable ties, Velcro backers, electric tape, wire caps

The procedure is like so: push the fuse tap into an empty fuse space, ideally one that turns on when the car does. The DC adapter has red and black wires. Run the black wire to a metal part of the car. My Max has a nearby bolt to attach it to. Run the red wire to the protruding lead of the fuse tap. Now you've got power. Attach the USB lead, electric-tape the two wires together so they don't ever dislodge, and use that to power this adapter. Easy-peasy.

Sound quality seems fairly good. The base noise level is higher than with a direct cable. I've had the best luck cranking the volume of the input device (phone, iPod, whatever) and adjusting the car's volume from there. I didn't test range, but it certainly didn't have any trouble connecting with the phone four feet away. The same phone is also connected to car's stock Bluetooth calling system. Other reviews suggest the two shouldn't conflict. I'll update if I run into any problems.
on February 3, 2014
This unit cut in and out every 30 seconds from less than 3 ft away. Tried everything. Would completely cut out at 6 ft. I returned this unit and got a Logitech for $30. That baby works flawlessly greater than 10 ft away!! Go get yourself the logitech!!
on May 22, 2015
Had serious stuttering and cutting out issues, and computer was only 12 feet away. If someone walked through the line of sight, sound would cut out, and then, even when nobody was blocking line of sight, stuttering would continue intermittently. Bought a different receiver and I have no problems at all. I'm not sure why this HomeSpot receiver has so many great reviews...
66 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse