5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use
I was hoping this would be an easy little device for giving quick readings for both pulse and blood oxygen levels. Fortunately, that's exactly what it is.

I've found this to be small & lightweight, very easy to use, and it seems to give consistent readings. It's also easy to store away in the included case.

If there is a downside at all, it's that...
Published 11 months ago by D. Matheny

1.0 out of 5 stars Least impressive of the three that I own
Let's take the "features" listed on the product page one at a time...

*Clinically validated, measures oxygen level and pulse rate

Yes, it does measure that stuff. The pulse, compared to my other two meters, the Finger Pulse Oximeter SM-110, the Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, and just taking my pulse is even accurate.

The O2 Saturation is a...
Published 12 months ago by Bob Tobias

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Homedics Px-100 Deluxe Pulse Oximeter with State-of-the-Art Optimetrix Technology (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

If there is a downside at all, it's that the replacement battery is a size I've never seen before (1/2 AA) - but I did find them here on Amazon, so even that isn't a huge deal.

Overall, I would recommend this if you're looking for a quick and easy way to measure both pulse and blood oxygen levels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Least impressive of the three that I own, October 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's take the "features" listed on the product page one at a time...

*Clinically validated, measures oxygen level and pulse rate

The O2 Saturation is a different matter entirely. I make a point of taking one of my meters along with me when I go in for my physical to compare with their equipment. The readings are always within a %. The two meters are consistently no more than a point off from each other. This meter reads consistently two or three points below my other two. Granted, readings too low are better than too high so the meter I reviewed is at least OK on that score. However, and I would prefer something that is accurate in addition to consistent.

*Pinch-free design that permits movement during use

This is my favorite claim. The pinch-free part brings to mind other claims like non-skid marshmallows or a book of hypoallergenic poetry. I don't believe that "pinching" is a problem with traditional style "finger meters" and there is no problem being solved. As for the physical movement part, the other meters I have hold well enough to slip on and stay on while I'm jogging, biking, or doing similar activities.

*No prescription needed for sports and recreational use

...which is true for the dozens of other, similar, and lower priced alternatives available.

*No interference from nail polish

Possibly not (and I'm not aware of this being a problem with other meters either). However, I can see where it could interfere *with* nail polish. You need to stick your finger in a snug rubber sleeve which could sneer your French tips or whatever you are sporting on your index finger.

*Over 10x longer battery life

And a good thing, too. This meter uses "1/2 AA" batteries, for example the 1/2AA Size Lithium Batteries which cost... wait for it... as much as 10x more than inexpensive AAA batteries typically used the dozens of other, similar, and lower priced alternatives available.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Product, October 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second oximeter. I had a competitor's product first. I prefer Homedics Px-100. The "pinch" is not a big deal for me since I have small fingers. I also like the size and clarity of the readings on the screen.

I have two issues with the unit: first, I have trouble making the oximeter turn on. One button turns the unit on (but not off) and switches the orientation of the readings. I found that the button must be pushed firmly and held down for a second or two to turn on the oximeter. My second issue concerns the "bar" indicator on the right. It starts out with the preferred 5 bars. Within 30 to 60 seconds, it drops to two bars - and occasionally one bar. The reading is not considered accurate when the reading drops to one bar.

4.0 out of 5 stars No basis for comparison; that said, ..., October 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
...seems to get the job done. This is my first pulse oximeter. And I got mine free. So, I can't complain and I can't compare. However, I would complain if anything struck me as problematic about this device. So far, though, so good. The device works well and relatively speedily. I, too, am not a huge fan of the finger-to-device interface. But as I am not aware of the range of options other home versions of this device provide, I can't say I like it more or less than the alternatives. Suffice it to say, as someone new to the pulse oximeter world, it's not a deal breaker for me. The non-standard battery in the device may or may not be a deal-breaker, depending how difficult it is to replace. If it's not, and if the device continues working as well as it has so far, and if the battery life is fairly long, and if the device itself holds up over the long haul (at least some reasonable long haul) -- then, I'd rate Px-100 Deluxe a fine enough entry on the home medical devices market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What the Doc Ordered, October 7, 2013
John N. Schëar "cxxi121" (Roanoke, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am delighted with the Homedics Px-100 and use it often. I would use it even more if it had been shipped with a battery that went south after several hours of use over several days. I opened the battery compartment and found an expiration date of 2-13 and that pretty much answered the dead battery puzzlement. Luckily, however, I had a chance to test the results of this device with the device my pulomanologist uses and each measured the same results. I did not expect to see parallel results and am delighted about it especially after seeing some folks who wrote about lousy results. My results were quite good.

The best part of the Homedics Oximeter is that I can carry it with me instead of visiting a doctor to get the results and paying a co-pay once a year. I measure often simply because of lung related issues and now I can at least see when I absolutely need to go to the doc.

The included lanyard and carrying case add to the benefits of the meter and I only wish Homedics had considered sending a fully charged battery instead of one that was on its last volts. Moreover, taking that little 1/2 AA Lithium battery out requires patience and stamina in opening the battery case. The carrying case and lanyard were not designed at the same time which is close to zero on my consideration chart but when married together they are off balance and do not complement each other.

While the unit measures well the LEDs are designed in such a manner that most folks can read the digits and generally do not need additional magnification. It would not hurt to have handy a magnifying glass to increase the digit size on those ocassions when light is either too high or too low. Do read the instructions carefully and you will reduce the chance of causing a hangnail or worse. A simple squeeze on the rubber insertion tube will reduce those aggravations before they begin.

Overall, I gave this a 4 star due to having to order a new battery and some of the other minor negative matters; however, this is a 5 Star product and could easily support such conclusions with what might be better policy issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars LEAST Favorite Of My 3 Pulse Oximeters, September 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After a heart attack in Feb 2010 I bought a Nonin Go2 Achieve Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, Blue here at Amazon. Simple, trusted and recommended by my cardiologist, uses standard single AAA battery. It is still as good as the day I bought it with NO side effects or problems. Next, I bought a Contec CMS50+. Reason being, I had 2 different heart surgeons insisting I have 2 totally different heart surgeries. Both from Scripps for what it may be worth...Or should I say WORTHLESS Scripps. My ONLY symptom was sinus tachycardia ONLY nocturnally according to a single 24 hour Holter Monitor test. With this alone, I was ordered to have a Pacemaker from one moron, 2 or 3 stents from another moron. I did a simple Google search for nocturnal sinus tach and kept coming up with OSA (sleep apnea). Thus, I ordered the above Contec brand as it is a recording monitor allowing me to connect to my computer with included software that shows me when and IF I have any 02 desaturations and or heart rate increases. On top of all that, it allows me to set an audible alarm to wake me at whatever preset level I choose to keep me out of trouble if having any event.

Now at the time I knew NOTHING about OSA and fell for the rip off price of over a hundred bucks for this great Contec unit. Later on Fleabay I found it available for under fifty bucks if bought directly from the manufacturer in China. It turns out that they are 100% trustworthy as I passed this info on to over 40+ folks on assorted OSA support groups with perfect feedback. I demanded a sleep study and had OSA confirmed and began CPAP, then APAP but was taken off of both after severe hearing loss and sinus problems caused by the pressure. So My Contac unit is my got to pulse oximeter. It operates on 2 AAA batteries that have now been in it over 2 years! Only warning is you have to use alkaline batteries. If you use rechargeable batteries you get erratic readings. I personally use it and it alone now.

So why 2 stars for this Homedics unit? It has an extraordinarily comfortable rubber slot for your finger but for sanitary reasons I find it not to my liking. The battery is a battery I have NEVER seen before and don't know where to even buy one! Bizarre thing I am sure a Google search would resolve but I have no intention of switching to this since it does nothing but the most simple of tasks. And I need MORE....This is attractive to look at, but I feel it is unsanitary, too basic and I have NO desire to start an internet search for some weird, non standard battery. I will stick with my Contec unit and never look back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice in concept, poor in design., September 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an EMT, I was excited to see this "pulse ox" and test it out. I've have seen many of the others that my fellow EMT's carry in their bags and on their belts and expected this Homedics to have a form factor like those Finger Pulse Oximeter SM-110 with Carry Case and Neck/Wrist Cord. Very much like the ones that we have attached to our 25K Heart Monitors, the design works and it's simple.

Homedics was not happy to use a tried and true design and decided to create a rubber finger / sheath that requires the user to insert their finger inside a creepy rubberized finger. I am not a fan of this methodology and think that the inside of that rubber finger is going to be a HUGE harbinger of germs! I am guessing Homedics is using this design for their "Optimetrix" technology. I don't like it and wouldn't recommend it.

The redeeming qualities: the build on the unit is relatively good.

The cons: the rubber finger and the battery which is an odd size. I would have been happy with 2AAA - the size would be negligible.

Two stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 2, 2014
C:

1.0 out of 5 stars useless, June 14, 2014
This product worked great for about 1 week, then would only give incorrect readings. I exchanged it, but the second one did the exact same thing. I ultimately exchanged for a different model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not dependable, June 7, 2014
Had this for two months and although the readings were accurate enough, it takes too long to get them. Had to replace the shipped battery before it would work. After installing a fresh battery it would display the readings after an approx 10 sec wait and sometimes refresh and sometimes would not. It displayed sporadically over the next two months, meaning, when touching the power button it would show the initiating screen (dashes) a small flashing bar and then would turn off. Press the on button again, initiating screen displayed, then maybe a reading, if a reading sometimes it would refresh sometimes not, sometimes turn off. It was purchased because of its claims to be accurate, innovative finger insertion boot, flow meter, and quick reliable readings. The readings when you get them are accurate but does not refresh reliably enough to show any changes, the finger boot is awkward and too variable for finger placement.Other than that it's nice looking.