5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I would have guessed
I bought this as a back up, but now I love it. I go to bed each night with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach, timer shuts it off in 30 minutes. (I'm out before then)
Published 15 months ago by Dan McMonigle

2.0 out of 5 stars It's like a nightlight... only brighter!
I have three things to say about this clock:

1. If you, like me, hate a loud beeping alarm, this one lets you pick 6 "nature" sounds to choose from, and you can set the volume on those -- or on the beep. This is, to me, a fabulous feature, and the reason I bought the clock in the first place.

2. It's a clock. It's a radio. It's a white noise...
Published on December 30, 2010 by k8nyc

2.0 out of 5 stars It's like a nightlight... only brighter!, December 30, 2010
k8nyc (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homedics SS-4510B Soundspa Autoset Clock Radio (Electronics)
I have three things to say about this clock:

2. It's a clock. It's a radio. It's a white noise machine. It's R2D2. (Ok, no, but the projector piece makes me think the video of Leia is going to show up on my ceiling.)

3. It's *ridiculously* bright. There are two settings on this clock, Really Bright and OH-MY-GOD-AM-I-IN-TIMES-SQUARE? bright. It cast a shadow of me on the wall while I slept. If you keep the clock across the room from you, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but mine is on my bedside table and it was like sleeping with a flashlight in my eyes.

I'm not kidding, I could read by it in bed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kick Me for failing to read Amazon reviews prior to Purchase, January 18, 2012
My only excuse is that I purchased this Homedics projection clock/radio using a Christmas gift certificate from a brick and mortar store. But I should have at least looked at the Amazon reviews.

I set up the clock radio, it flawlessly acquired the correct time via the atomic clock, and I set the alarm. I set the light setting on the display for the lowest of the two settings, and oriented the projection on the ceiling. As soon as my light was out, it was evident that the bluish lighted display was producing way to much annoying light, and the projection was not helping in that regard. We've had an Emerson projection clock in our household for a couple of years with a red lighted display and projection which produces no such problem.

Finally, by the early hours of the morning, I'd had enough. The comment someone made about Homedics clocks producing enough light to make shadow puppets was apt. The only good thing I can say about it was that it made enough light so that I had little trouble in what would have otherwise been the dark to find the cord and plug and pull it out of the outlet, so that I could finally turn off that blasted over-bright display and properly relax for a bit of sleep.

It is going back to the store at the next opportunity. And I won't make assumptions that nobody could mess up the manufacture of something as simple as a clock display. I'll read the reviews next time and steer clear of Homedics clocks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Projector mounted on the wrong side of the clock, November 13, 2011
The clock projection is mounted on the wrong side of the clock. This would have been an ideal clock except that the project can be tilted only at a 90 degree angle, allowing the projection on the wall behind the clock. If you need to see the time on the ceiling, you have to turn the clock around backwards to have the time project overhead. I returned this clock to Amazon for a Sony Projector Nature Sounds Dream Machine which has a 180-degree range of motion in the projector.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect color... but not so great., July 21, 2013
I know a lot of people complain about this clock, but I think it's perfect. White noise is fine if you just want "WHITE NOISE"... if you are looking for the rainforest in your NYC bedroom, well, you'll be disappointed. It's atomic so it's ALWAYS the right time and the wall/ceiling projection is crystal clear. I do not like the clock facing me at all, but rather look up at the ceiling to see the time, since I'm not a good sleeper. The fact that I didn't need to read the directions to make this clock work and the low price make this one a winner.

January 25, 2014: Just an update on the clock. It did not change properly for Daylight savings time and there are NO directions anywhere to adjust it manually. It is supposed to be an autoset clock... but that feature doesn't work. The time is now consistently 25 or more minutes behind. I have unplugged it and given up. I have now decided that Homedics products are way better looking than actually using. I have downgraded my review by quite a few stars.

My suggestion: buy something more reliable (and more expensive) than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it., February 13, 2014
Within a week of the purchase of this alarm clock it quit operating. Unfortunate, because the wake up sounds were very pleasant. Also had a previous model which lasted only a couple of years. Will not buy this brand again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not long lasting, November 30, 2013
William Cook (Dripping Springs, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This is the second one of these I have had. This is a nice clock, however they do not seem to last very long. The first thing to go out is the projection. Then the alarm doesn't always sound. Then they die. Too bad because this could be a very nice clock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., February 12, 2014
I had this item for only a few months and never felt like it quite was worth purchasing. To start with, it will not let you set the time manually. This would not be much of an issue except when it automatically set the time it set it wrong. It was only a matter of minutes and so I learned to compensate for the discrepancy by setting my alarm clock accordingly. This worked all right for a few months until I touched it one night and had a small spark of static electricity jump between my finger and the clock. At this point the display began reading 8's all the way across. I unplugged it and took the back up battery out. I let it set, unpowered for 24 hours. I hoped by doing this it would reset whatever mechanism it uses to set the time. It did not do so. Now I have a clock that is off by several hours and minutes and cannot be set manually. Needless to say a clock that is wrong is useless. It is now in the garbage and I will never get one of these again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work long, January 21, 2014
This was bought for our grandson. I never really could set the correct time, and we finally got the sound to work that he likes to sleep with....white noise. That was the most important thing for us. Well, it stopped working after 4 months. Amazon's return policy did not allow us to ship it back. I called Homedics, and they will replace it. However it will be another 2-4 weeks to get the replacement. Hopefully the next one will be better. If not....no more of this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Volume Control!, August 9, 2013
I own the original SS-4510 (which they no longer make) and I love it, so I thought this would be a good purchase. I did not encounter any of the problems other reviewers have mentioned; however, I did find that there was no way to control the volume of sound when the alarm went off - and it was loud enough to make you jump out of your skin! Listening to sounds or the radio could be adjusted, but the alarm always came on at the same volume. I assumed this was a defect, so I returned the product to Homedics. They promptly sent me another one - that had the same problem! I called Homedics and was told by the rep that this feature is deliberate - all of their alarm clocks come with a pre-set volume for the alarm!! There are many reasons why someone would want to set the volume of the alarm higher or lower; I can't imagine what marketing guru came up with this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I would have guessed, August 28, 2013
I love that the time projects onto the ceiling. I tend to sleep in patterns. Bed at 11, wake at 3 and roll over, I can easily see the time on the ceiling as it is big on standard height ceiling. I wake to radio and easy to hit snooze.

Took me about a week to do stuff in the dark with it, but it's intuitive.

Homedics SS-4510B Soundspa Autoset Clock Radio