Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Homegrown Herbs: A Complete Guide to Growing, Using, and Enjoying More than 100 Herbs
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 5, 2011
The book begins with an introduction to growing and using herbs. You will learn how to select plants and design a variety of different types of gardens depending on your needs, space available, and colors you want. There's a very handy chart that lists each herb along with its growing cycle, nature, light requirements, height, spacing, bloom color, water requirements and soil preferences. There are also several really gorgeous garden designs that you can follow or use for inspiration in creating your own garden design. You will also find a guide to habitat preferences which will help you select the ideal plant for your location and needs, prepare your soil for planting, compost and propagate your plants. The section on garden maintenance is well written and will guide you through the necessary steps by season to care for your garden and control pests and disease. I love the section on all natural pest treatments! The Harvesting section will show you how to harvest the different types of plants and what parts you use on each.

There are also sections that contain recipes and instructions for not only foods but also for medicine and personal care. There are lots of step by step photos that really make this easy to follow along. I'd read this section just to enjoy the gorgeous color photographs.

The final section of the book details each herb. There is a color photograph, Latin name, common species, personality, height, bloom traits, likes and dislikes, how it's propagated, sun/soil, companion planting, harvesting, culinary use, medicinal benefits, parts used, home pharmacy uses and information on the flowers if they are edible.

We made Aunt Diane's Greek Tomato Salad using fresh basil and oregano and it was amazing!
33 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2013
Having just obtained some French Tarragon, which is fairly hard to get in Las Vegas because it is a cool weather herb, I looked in this book that I just received today. Not a word in it about tarragon. Why is that, fresh tarragon is one of the most wonderful culinary herbs. You can't make bernaise sause without it. It is considered one of the four fine herbs of french cooking. So why isn't it mentioned in this book on homegrown herbs? I think because it has no medicinal value and the author seems to be only interested in those with medicinal value. Goldenseal is mentioned, this has no culinary value, but it is used for medicinal purposes. So the bottom line here is if you are buying this to learn about herbs medicinal uses it is a great book, probably the best you will find. If, on the other hand, you are buying it to learn about culinary herbs you can do much better elsewhere. The only mention of bay leaves is that they can be kept in a pot. There are some very good recipies in the book, which will give me my money's worth but I will have to use Burpee The Complete Vegetable & Herb Gardener: A Guide To Growing Your Garden Organically for many culinary herbs to learn about growing most culinary herbs as many are not mentioned in this book.
33 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
This book is chock full of information from compost all the way to harvest. Inspiring recipes too! Tammy is clearly a Goddess in the garden. She gives the information of an experienced hand; someone who really knows, loves and respects herbs and the art of gardening. I'm very happy with this purchase!
on August 9, 2011
This book is excellent. It has lots of information and many wonderful charts to help you in your selections of herb gardening. It has garden plans, charts to plan a theme garden, what part of each plant to use. And to think I went back on my order to cancel this book, thinking I didn't need it, but couldn't. Thank goodness, it completely blows me away. This book is great!! Get it you won't be disappointed!
on September 22, 2012
I've had my eye on this book for awhile and decided to check it out at my library. It's fantastic. My favorite parts:
Every herb she discusses in the "meat" of the book, she covers in useful detail in the 10th chapter. She has amazing useful charts included in most chapters as well. When I finished working through this book, I felt sad because I would have to return it. Well, I'll fix that! I'm buying my own copy today.
on April 10, 2012
I learned about this book from a blog. I then checked it out from our local library. It was full of so many details and wonderful recipes. I knew I had to own a copy of my own!
on November 6, 2012
This book is crammed full of very good factual information. It is well set out and a great resource for anyone who wants to grow herbs.
on April 29, 2012
The first half of this book explains the organization and care of the herb garden. Only later does the book dive into its catalog of herbs. While it doesn't go into deep detail on each topic, its coverage of the many issues gardeners face is encyclopedic and easy to read.

The catalog in the back includes well chosen descriptive photographs. Brief descriptions of both culinary and medicinal uses are listed. I was impressed to see comments like the one on mullein that notes if the stalk is twisted the plant has grown in tainted ground and is unsafe tom consume.

Overall this is a very through very likable book that will be well received if given as a gift to most gardeners.
on January 22, 2016
Fabulous book with loads of color photos. There are plenty of recipes and ways to utilize herbs in everyday living, plus information on planting, growing, harvesting, and propagating herbs. The books is well-organized, making it easy to dip in and out of when I'm looking for specific information. The author has also included multiple charts showing which herbs prefer what types of growing conditions, what herbs are useful for what, their heights and colors, propagation methods, and more. I love the charts, as they allow me to compare and contrast several different plants easily, as well as get a quick "sum-up" of the plant's habits, needs, and benefits. A large section of the book is dedicated to a sort of encyclopedia of herbs, with color pictures and a few columns of information for each herb.

This is a great book for anyone interested in growing their own herbs, whether you're looking to plant a few kitchen herbs in a pot on the windowsill, or dig up the entire backyard for an apothecary garden. With garden designs and plenty of information on individual herbs, this is an excellent handbook.
on June 1, 2013
We've got several herb books already but when I saw this one, I had to have it. Love the way it's set up -- this is the nuts and bolts of herb gardening.... not just a listing of herbs as much as it's a guide to how to build a garden, how to choose a site, how to amend the soil, then it gives lists of herbs and their soil and growth requirements so you know wt is going to grow best. Includes great ideas for preserving and using the herbs as well. I have plenty of books that give me info about an individual herb, but none that area a comprehensive guide, as this one is, for actually putting the herb garden together. We are long time expert gardeners and I've had an herb garden for years, but after I got this book, I made significant changes and additions to our garden based on the book. I consider it a must have even if you've already got a garden!