4.0 out of 5 stars Good price

Published 16 months ago by Phillip Jenkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Reserve an afternoon to assemble, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
Silly boy. I thought I was getting a bed. Instead I received a stack of wood and a bag of fasteners. Well, the price was right. After assembling my bed I have lots of suggestions. The "bed" comes with a parts list which you should look over carefully and make sure you have everything because it would be hard to come up with a missing fastener on your own. My bag had everything. This kit is like many that have the round "nut" with the threads on the sides that drops down into a well. Then the threaded bolt screws into it from the outside of the wooden member. Be careful! It is easy to crossthread the bolt into the "nut". Start it by hand before using the allen wrench provided. As the instructions say assemble on a cleared carpeted area about 10 X 8. Start with the headboard. The three boards for the headboard have a small hole on one side. I have no idea why. Anyway, you want to make sure that the holes ends up facing down so you won't see them when the bed is assembled. Next I assembled the side rails to the headboard and the middle legs to the siderails. Next assemble the footboard and its side rails. I have a shop so it was easy for me to cut a stick that I tied between the siderails while I was assembling them to the footboard/headboard. This way you can turn the frame on its side while you are assembling. Then you assemble the two sections together at the middle leg. Leave all screws a little loose during assembly and tighten after the bed is all together. Now if I have room here, I am going to tell you how to turn a $130 bed into a $300 bed. The manufacturers put the minimum finish on the wood. It scratches with the smallest bump or abrasion. I buy polyurethane by the gallon but less than a quart will do for three coats. There are now water base clear finishes that are very good. They dry very hard and do the job of polyurethane without the mess. Nevertheless, you will have to check to see if it applies over the existing finish. Sometimes these finishes don't adhere well unless you first steel wool the existing finish. I am old school and use polyurethane. If you go that route, buy the cheapest can that actually says polyurethane. Polyurethane is polyurethane. Use the store's brand if it is the cheapest. Put down a tarp for drips. Elevate the bed on 4 five gallon buckets or four newspaper covered chairs. Go for three coats. By painting your bed you will not only give it a durable finish but you will have coated all the fasteners so that they will not rust. Paint the slats as well. Wood that has gotten dirty from dust cannot be cleaned. Your painted slats will clean up easily. One coat of clear finish is OK, two is better and three is best. Pianos get seven. Unless you are in a humid environment you can squeeze three coat on in a weekend. Put on the subsequent coat as soon as the first one is no longer tacky. OK if I have room I am going to talk about cleaning brushes. I have brushes that are forty years old. Most people don't know how to clean a brush so they just ruin them and so buy cheap brushes. If this is the only project for which you need a paintbrush, then buy a cheap brush. But if you want the luxury of a good brush that you would like to keep, stay with me. My dad used to call it the rule of three. You wash a brush in three separate baths of thinner (for polyurethane) and then soap it up (I use liquid laundry soap) and rinse it three separate time. I save the baths of thinner but pour the used thinner into a clean can keeping the residue that collects in the bottom of the old can from running out. Pour the now used thinner back into the old can for next time. Now here is the painter's secret. In the thinner you can just jam the brush down into the thinner to get it up into the hilt of the brush but that doesn't work with soap and water. After your three thinner washes go to the sink. Dribble some liquid soap on the middle of the bristles. Grab the end of the bristles with your hand. Hold that hand still. Then twirl the handle of the brush as if you were beating an egg. What this does is work the soap deep into the bristles and the bristles rubbing on one another help clean them. After you have done this about as long as it takes to beat an egg, rinse out the soap, again using the twirling action and run the water down the inside of the bristles from the end of the bristles to the hilt. Repeat this at least two more times. You can just shake the water out when you are finished but you may have noticed that paint brush handles tend to be round. Painters take the handle of the brush between their two hands and twirl the brush to expel the water. But now we are getting too fancy. Good Luck. Sleep well.

2.0 out of 5 stars I had really high hopes...., October 2, 2013
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
I bought this bed to replace and old one that had been passed down from my older sons to my younger ones. I loved the simple design and my son was excited to have a bed again. That excitement has turned to disappointment because there seems to be a serious design flaw in this bed. The "legs: that are located in the middle of the bed are on the outside of the bed. This causes two problems. One, it is easy to hit your feet on and if you weigh more than 100 lbs, the legs bend outward, which could cause the bed to break. We tried relocating the legs to the inside hoping that would give it some stability. But, it didn't help. We finally had to give the bed to our much smaller son. (60lbs) But, the bed will need to be replaced soon because children grow and this bed can't handle much weight at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, August 23, 2013
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
It's solid wood, but very light. Probably pine or something similar. The finish is so-so and there's some ripples in the coat of polyurethane or whatever was used. Hardly noticeable though when assembled and it looks nice in my room. Assembly went smoothly (though I've been assembling a lot of furniture over the past year and have become an assembling machine). Packaging was good, so no complaints there. I paired it with a Signature Sleep Contour 8 Inch Twin Mattress and it's a perfect fit and very comfortable. It makes no noise whatsoever, which is why I chose this over a metal frame. It's sturdy and I'm happy with it. Considering the price, I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
Putting them together was harder than expected. The long boards of bed frames are split in two and they join with bolts and knots in the middle. On the Amazon picture the comforter covers this union. I figure this can make the beds last a bit less. Also the boards supporting the mattress are not well sanded and they should be covered to avoid damaging the mattress. Any sheet will work. Other than these two issues the beds look good and are comfortable enough for a kid's room. The price can't be beat and if they last more than 3 years I am happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Parts poor., December 14, 2013
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
Construction seems solid, but time will tell. The hardware was poor quality. I needed to go to the hardware store to purchase parts. Some of the nuts were not machined properly. Also, instructional labels on the wood parts were off ; one said left when actually a right side part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Price, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
We bought this bed to be our son's transition bed. He had been sleeping on the floor on his crib mattress for a couple months so he was ready for a "big boy" bed. I was hesitant to order after reading some of the reviews, but am very pleased with the bed.

Assembly: As so often nowadays, the instructions weren't overly clear and our pieces were not labeled. This being the case we separated the pieces and made sure we had all the parts, then placed them on the floor where everything would be located. After some trial and error (maybe 10 minutes) we figured out which direction every piece had to be facing etc. and began to assemble the bed. It took maybe 30 minutes with two of us working at the same time.

Durability: I was also hesitant to order based on other reviews on durability. As this is going to be our son's transition bed, he most likely won't be too heavy for the wood while using this frame. My husband (approx 150 lbs.) and I (currently pregnant and around 130 lbs.) have both fallen asleep with our son on this bed and there is no creaking/shifting/bending/ or anything else to suggest that the bed is not going to last.

We have been pleasantly surprised with this bed. As it is less expensive, I didn't expect it to be the same quality of frames that are several hundred dollars, but I am not disappointed with the purchase in the least.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, both in cost and quality, December 5, 2013
Marvin Schuldiner (Somerset, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
You get what you pay for. This is a serviceable bed frame made from soft wood and cheaper screws and bolts. Fit and finish is uneven. Assembly is a bit of a challenge, but not overly difficult. We bought this for my pre-schooler son's first bed and it will do just fine. If you're looking for an inexpensive bed option, this bed frame is a good option.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it., January 5, 2014
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
Definitely easy to put together. I have no idea why others gave this less than 5 stars because they thought it was difficult. I'm a college student. It's functional. Looks good. The plain boards on the bottom aren't amazing quality but they never are. No one sees them. Good piece of furniture.

4.0 out of 5 stars CAME WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS!, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
We purchased the bed on Dec 18th and it arrived on Dec 27th. While we did receive all the parts, it came without the instructions. Luckily, the design of the bed is pretty straightforward and my husband and I were able to put the bed together without the instructions in a couple hours. I contacted the seller about the lack of instructions and they emailed me a PDF of the instructions on January 3rd. Better late then never, but we had already decided to tackle putting the bed together long before instructions came. IF ANYONE BUYS THIS BED AND DOESN'T GET THEIR INSTRUCTIONS, LEAVE A COMMENT AND I WILL SEND YOU THE INSTRUCTIONS VIA EMAIL! As far as the quality of the bed goes, I don't recommend it for an everyday bed for an adult. It's perfect for our 3 year old son with a 5" memory foam mattress. Slats that mattress rest on are flimsy but do hold up my weight if I get into bed with him to read a story. (I'm a petite thin woman though) It serves it's purpose which is a "big boy bed" for our 3 year old son but I don't think I would want to sleep on it every night without additional support under it. Otherwise, bed seems sturdy and it's cute. Perfect for our little dude! :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars nice looking, but flawed design, June 11, 2014
taxworep (Washington DC, the last colony) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homelegance 5794T-1 Platform Bed, Twin, Cappuccino (Misc.)
Although the bed looks nice, the engineering is not. Since the side rails come in two pieces in order to fit into a box, the middle legs are the essential elements in holding the bed together. However, they are placed outside the bed, which is unpleasant when getting into or out of bed, AND, much worse, there is no way for the legs to remain perfectly vertical. We are constantly having to push the legs back into place to keep them straight. This is not reassuring! The possibility of the bed falling down while getting into or out of bed is an ever-present worry. On the other hand, it's been months now, and the bed has not cracked or fallen down. I recommend tightening the bolts every so often with the stupid little Allen wrench type tool. Actually, if you have one from Ikea, that one is better.
Let's just say this bed is not likely to become an heirloom, but it does look nice and so far it is holding up.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›