Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Homemade Christmas Gifts and More - Frugal Christmas Gift Ideas For The Whole Family
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 8, 2012
If you're new to experimenting with frugal, homemade gifts, this is worth the download. It's not a bad little book, full of ideas for making simple gifts and avoiding the financial and emotional drain of conventional retail. It includes:
- Recipes for cookies, drinks, and other sweet treats,
- Instructions for body scrubs and other bath items,
- Simple crafts that make good gifts, with a great selection of kids' crafts,
- A VERY good section for gifts in a jar (cookie mixes, soup mixes, etc.), and
- Ideas for gift baskets and homemade gift cards.

As an e-book, it has the disadvantage of lacking pictures to go with the projects. It could also have used a grammar-smoothing checkup, but it's readable.

If you've been doing the "frugal thing" for a while and looking for new projects, this e-book probably won't be what you're looking for. The ideas aren't particularly fresh, but it's nice to have several standbys all in one place.
on November 10, 2012
But really and truly - a FREE book filled with gift ideas? COME ON, give it more than 1 star, people!

I enjoyed the section on flavored coffees and teas - in fact, Chai Tea is *SO* uber popular - I think I will probably end up making some as gifts this year. All I need are a plethora of MASON JARS! :)

Thank you SO much for making this book free!
When faced with the reality of the commercialization of Christmas, the Hillbilly Housewife decided to make homemade gifts. For anyone seeking alternatives to the shopping frenzy that happens each year this book can feel like a great solution. Some of the ideas include baking cookies and placing them on a festive plate. You then wrap them in cellophane and include a bow and gift tag. This is one of the simplest ideas and there are some great recipes too. There is a recipe for tree cookies and stained glass window cookies. So you can really get creative.

Next the Hillbilly Housewife shows you how to make beverage mixes which all sound delicious. One of her ideas about making chocolate spoons is something I've done in the past and people loved them. There are also recipes for making bath products. Instead of just using epson salts I'd encourage you to also use your favorite essential oils.

There is also a cute idea for making memorable picture frames for grandparents. If you are looking for memorable gifts to give to your children there are also lots of ideas. I'm using one of her ideas - I'm knitting a scarf for my mother.

So if you are looking to spend less this Christmas I can highly recommend this book. Your friends and relatives will feel very loved if you make them something homemade.

~The Rebecca Review
on November 10, 2012
I was disappointed with the gift suggestions here -- I've been doing handmade gifts for several years now, and was looking forward to some new ideas. This book didn't provide any. Many of the craft ideas were really cheesy (glue a picture to a flip flop?) and may not be easy to execute, either, since there are no step by step directions or pictures, which I would imagine would make it very difficult for someone who hasn't done these types of projects before... and honestly, those are the ones who might be excited about this ebook. There were a couple ideas for gifts kids can make, which I'd say would be OK for kids from about 5-8 years old.

I was particularly put off by the "Knitting, Crocheting and Sewing" portion. It starts with "Knit Something" section - all 8 sentences of it - and recommends a hat, scarf, socks, or mittens, and then lists another website to browse for patterns. Seriously?! If someone is a knitter, I'm pretty sure they've already thought of that. The crocheting and sewing sections are more of the same.

My suggestion: skip this and head to Pinterest to find some good step-by-step tutorials.
on November 10, 2012
I guess if you are really really stuck and in a hopeless spot, this may kick start your brain but for the most part I found more recipes, ideas, and illustrations online by just typing "homemade Christmas gifts" into my search bar. The recipes in this book were very very basic and the ideas were very simple. I agree with the other reviewer, in saying that if you are new to homemade gift giving then you might like this book but if you are a "prepper" or someone who has already spent a lot of time on pinterest or googling ideas then this book will not do you any good. I feel this book would have been more useful if there were illustrations and some UNUSUAL or not already published on the web ideas in it. All in all, if you are brand new to homemade gift giving and are stuck, maybe you'll benefit from this book but truthfully, google has more ideas listed in their search engine and most come with video or illustration.
on December 4, 2014
This fun book has many inexpensive easy-to-do crafts for yourself or the children in your life to make. Many of the crafts can be adjusted for any time of the year. In particular, the recipe for soup ready-to-make in a jar would be great to have on hand and given to those friends/family members who are sick. I'll be using this a lot for Christmas this year....
on December 31, 2014
Love handmade items as gifts. good to get and to give.
Very easy and frugal things to assemble as a gift that can be done ahead of time. Also recipes of food that are easy-but not always healthy choice.
Food recipes do not include nutritional information nor pictures.
Knitting section I particularly like as that is one thing I've very good at doing.
Lots of ideas for different gift baskets along with resources.
on November 11, 2012
I am a big fan of homemade gifts for Christmas (or anytime, really) but I often get overwhelmed with the time and skill required... so I just drop the whole idea. But now, I can pick myself up and start crafting away because this little book has REAL frugal fun gifts that are easy to make.

The gifts in jars are wonderful, both the food and the beauty items. But, what I really love are the kids gifts - that is both gifts FOR kids and gifts kids can make by themselves, or almost by themselves. Rather than having a list of supplies from the craft store, the ideas in this book focus on turning things you probably have around the house (or can find at resale stores or rummage sales) into fun items. I LOVE that idea... Reduce Reuse Recycle... very cool, indeed.

Thanks for this fun book. I know I'll be putting many of these ideas to work soon.
on February 1, 2015
This book had lots of ideas - some "recycled" and some new ones. I liked how the author spent some time explaining how to make up the packaging. There were plenty of ideas with recipes for many gifts, for example, all the different hot drinks with coffee and cocoa. I also liked the section on themed gift baskets. I got this book free, but will refer to it for gifts. It nudges my creativity and has good resources.
on December 6, 2014
Free is free, so you get what you pay for. This is a pretty good book for recipes and quick easy gifts to make for the holidays. I've bookmarked several for this Christmas.

I might have given it one more star if there had been pictures or illustrations. It's one thing to leave out pictures for recipes. But photos are a must for craft projects. I really think it would have added that little touch to make this a great resource for the holidays.