5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to read without some form of magnification
Published on December 22, 2012 by Carolyn

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, March 7, 2012
M. Schmidt (Sag Harbor, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade: Irresistible Homemade Recipes for Every Occasion (Hardcover)
This book, and its author, are appealing to the eye and put forth simple, creative and delicious recipes that anyone can master. I've heard Ms. McKenna referred to as the "Irish Rachel Ray." While perhaps true, I'd also classify her as Rachel's more fashionable, bohemian sister. This book makes the perfect gift for a housewarming, birthday or any occasion. The down-to-earth cooks in your life will love it. I hope to see much more from this author soon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to read without some form of magnification, December 22, 2012
I would give this book many stars, but cannot because it's difficult to read. WARNING!!! The font and the very light print almost require a magnifying glass in order to see if the recipe takes 1/4 or 1/2 or any ingredient. What a pity, because it ruins an otherwise good book. I'm sure they were trying to make it all look home-made, as if typed on a typewriter. Clever idea, but it doesn't work. Even with my glasses at close range I needed a flashlight. I may actually return the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WANTED TO SCOFF AT THIS BOOK, I REALLY DID BUT...., January 29, 2014
I wanted to scoff at this book. I really did, it struck me as yet another, "oh look at me how hipster and gourmet I am" type of tome. Yes well, sigh....Ms. McKenna you have a place on my shelves! I started paging through and realized wow, this is not only really, really pretty, it is actually really useful! This is the kind of book you want to sit down on a Saturday afternoon with a cup of tea and plan to make all the cool, but not expensive homemade things! Everything caught my eye from the recipes for homemade preserved lemons to the great recipe she got at a wedding in Tuscany (sigh) that was marinated chicken with bits of fruit and couscous. Fresh, not expensive and definitely different from the sloppy joes and mac and cheese I make as kid friendly foods! What won me over the most? The preserved items section and the section on cheeses. Great info to include in an overall great cookbook and again - it's soooo pretty :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and lovely to read!, January 15, 2013
My favorite cookbooks these days are those that are fun to read, have wonderful pictures, teach me something I didn't know, and has good recipes. This book covers all of the above.

I was interested in the book as I'd enjoyed seeing the author on her PBS show about Ireland. I knew she taught cooking when possible from local sources and using fresh foods so I had an idea I'd like the recipes. I just wasn't certain how they would relate to my American style of eating.

Well, the recipes are for the most part easy and are those my family would enjoy. But I must admit, I would buy the book again just to read it! I'm going to purchase it for a pre-teen who is interested in a culinary career someday. I think many of the recipes are easy enough for her to follow and she will enjoy reading about the food and culture.

If you enjoy curling up in the evening with a cup of tea and a cookbook you can read... add this one to your library. If I had only one complaint... the light color of grey in which some of the book is written. It seems to be quite popular to do this with cookbooks these days so the recipes do not cover the beautiful pictures but I'd rather have the print easier to read. Having said that, it is not so light that I couldn't enjoy the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I AM BLOGGING ABOUT MY COLLECTION OF COOKBOOKS!, August 22, 2013
I have a cookbook collection of hundreds of cookbooks I have moved all over the place! I finally bit the bullet and decided to reduce my cookbook collection and have started out reviewing three cookbooks a day (that is the goal anyway) at my blog - [...]

Here's my review on this one-

I wanted to sell this book. I really did, it struck me as yet another, "oh look at me how hipster and gourmet I am" type of tome. Yes well, sigh....Ms. McKenna you have a place on my shelves! I started paging through and realized wow, this is not only really, really pretty, it is actually really useful! This is the kind of book you want to sit down on a Saturday afternoon with a cup of tea and plan to make all the cool, but not expensive homemade things! Everything caught my eye from the recipes for homemade preserved lemons to the great recipe she got at a wedding in Tuscany (sigh) that was marinated chicken with bits of fruit and couscous. Fresh, not expensive and definitely different from the sloppy joes and mac and cheese I make as kid friendly foods! What won me over the most? The preserved items section and the section on cheeses. Great info to include in an overall great cookbook and again - it's soooo pretty :)

4.0 out of 5 stars HOMEMADE FOR ME, August 14, 2012
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK AND REFERENCE IT QUITE A BIT.
THE RECIPES ARE NOT COMPLICATED AND I LIKE THAT SHE GIVES YOU OTHER OPTIONS FOR BASIC RECIPES AND GIFT IDEAS

3.0 out of 5 stars cozy cookbook, January 28, 2012
Easy and delicious recipes. Nostalgic meals,yet modern as well. I have already made many dishes.
This makes a great house warming gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Canning recipes, I have made them for Christmas Gifts., December 5, 2012
My husband saw Coldagh McKenna on the Create channel and we are hooked on her Irish style. Easy to use with nice family insight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely and inspiring cookbook, December 29, 2012
I added this book to my Christmas list on a whim and I was very impressed with the recipes inside. I love pretty cookbooks. And I know a lot of pretty cookbooks lack in substance, but Homemade doesn't. The photos inside are high quality, and the food styling is beautiful. Most importantly, the recipes are not totally out of the ordinary, but they're also not average and boring. The ingredients are easy to find in your local market, but what you create with them is unlike the basics you'll find in the much loved Betty Crocker cookbook. Makes a great gift for a bride-to-be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique Cookbook, February 5, 2013
I have had this cookbook for about a month and I love it. The photography is gorgeous. It is also organized in a unique way...from canning/preserving, how to stock your pantry, lunches, brunches, to seasonal dinner parties with decorating tips.

I have made the banana bread, the orzo soup, the spaghetti with meatballs, and the homemade muesli (twice!). Yummy!
I had already been making my own muesli for over a year now and this recipe is actually even better. The touch of toasting the oats makes a big (and delicious) difference.

Homemade: Irresistible Homemade Recipes for Every Occasion
Homemade: Irresistible Homemade Recipes for Every Occasion by Clodagh McKenna (Hardcover - May 16, 2011)
$24.95 $16.63