5.0 out of 5 stars Homemade Love is rich, endearing, and joyful reading.
Published on July 12, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Oops!
While the book was in pretty good shape,I was very disappointed that it did not have a dust cover, especially when the advertisment showed one. There were a few pencil marks but, that was to be expected.
Published on September 12, 2011 by pkeithley@centeronhalsted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Homemade Love is rich, endearing, and joyful reading., July 12, 1999
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
I received this book as a graduation gift in 1992 and have read it at least five times since then. This book is a collection of warm, sad, funny, deep stories. Homemade Love is about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness. One particular story of a country born and raised man who becomes fascinated with the lights and sights of the big city, teaches the lesson that we often don't know what we have until we don't have it anymore. Yet while teaching this lesson, the story will have you laughing out loud. Other stories have lesson to be learned but do it in such a hilarious and sometimes emotional way that you forget you're learning something in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, April 20, 1999
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
I recently recieved a book by J. Califorina Cooper as a gift, "In Search of Satisfaction", and I have been hooked every since. After reading that book, I realized I had to have all of her books. She is such a gifted author. The books are so good that I refuse to read them, one after the other, because I don't know when the next one will come out. I'll have to make them last for a while.
I have read a few short stories, but the ones that are in Homemade Love are by far the best. Each story has a lesson on life. The stories were were simple and easy understand. I found myself laughing out loud and wanting to call someone to read a portion of the story to.
As I have said before, if I had a reading group, J.Califorina Cooper would be at the top of the list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, June 27, 2002
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
Ok... I feel a bit guilty about not putting 5 stars as everyone else, but I guess I just need to let others like me know what to expect when they read this book.
The main reason why I bought it was because everyone put 5 stars on it, and I do have to admit I liked it. It is filled will lessons of life, some of which are very funny, others are a bit sad, but in the end the messages are encouraging and motivating.
Now, the reason for the 4 star rating is that I found some of the stories a bit unbelievable, and although I love happy endings, there were way too many here. Also, I found the writing style hard to understand sometimes, since it uses a lot of "argot", which made it difficult to focus and keep the stories flowing.
Having said that, I do have to point out that this is definetly a Happy Book, full of funny characters, nice stories and lots of love ... it will put a smile on your face and fill your heart with joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an excellent read!, February 26, 2003
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
If you think this book is excellent, poignant, funny, truthful, etc. listen to the 'books on tape' version. The various narrators bring this excellent work to life. I borrowed it from the library (several times) and love it every time. Classic lines like when the guy tells his wife he's leaving to find the life he's missed he says 'that's it in a nutshell. She looked at me like I was the nut in the shell." Don't miss this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book in the World!, September 3, 2002
D. Brown "dcsb" (New Orleans, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
This is my favorite book in the world. J California Cooper is my favorite author in the world. The characters in her books have a triumph of the spirit. Her words invite you into the lives of the people in her stories. She captures your heart with real life lessons and common sense. Most of all, I love her honesty. Life is best served warm, with tears, smiles, and truth and she serves it up just right.
The best gift given is that which is a part of you. So, in that spirit, I've given this book away to so many people that I have lost count. Last October I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Cooper at a book signing here in New Orleans and she was gracious enough to sign my copies of her books; (I own and have read them all). What a Blessing her words are! Read Homemade Love, and all of her books, and you too will become a fan for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wise, down-home stories that show life as it is, May 20, 1999
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
Cooper is a master at revealing truths about simple, yet complex life events. These stories are some of her best (and I've read all her short stories). Her characters are real people like my aunts and uncles and cousins and myself. Common ordinary events are handled with care and insights that most of us don't have. Each story is a perfect jewel; all the elements are clearly defined in language that I can not only understand, but which evoke deep feelings in me. I KNOW her characters as surely as I know my friends and relatives. Cooper is an extraordinary writer! If she reads this I want to know when she will publish another short story collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homemade love is what you make of it., January 31, 2003
Candise Banks (Hazel Crest, Ill USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
J California Cooper was magnificient in this book. She talks about love, lost, lonliness, and happiness. She also tells how even though life is consistantly taking you through hard times. Theres always a rainbow at the end of your journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Funny, April 30, 1999
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
J. California Cooper is a very talented writer. I enjoyed the first book,(In Search of Satisfaction), of which I recieved as a gift so much, I had to buy the rest.
Homemade Love is a very good set of stories that I enjoyed very much. I laughed a lot and felt sad. Although the stories are fictitional, they all had a life lesson. The last story "Spooks", was the funniest. I guess she sort of saved the best for last.
I now have all of her books, but I will have to read them slowly to make them last for awhile. Who knows, I may just read them twice.
If you have not read any of her books, you are really missing out.
Heres to J. California Cooper: Much success to the author of such great stories and future ones as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars True to life stories, October 12, 2000
"malouise" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
These stories remind me of stories that I heard my aunts and uncles tell. Amazing that they are universal because I'm a native of the islands. The stories made me sad, they made me laugh. They are true of a life of yesteryear...homemade love is hard to find nowadays.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best!, June 18, 1998
This review is from: Homemade Love (Paperback)
This book made my cry, it made me laugh. The stories were too real and touching. I have read this book no less than 7 times, and each time I cry and laugh, just like I had never read it. Everyone should read at least one J. California Cooper book just for the sake of humanity. Needless to say I simply love J. California Cooper.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›