Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on January 4, 2008
Sonya Haskin draws upon her experience and expertise as a mother who homeschools her five children in writing and compiling "The Homeschooler's Book Of Lists". Accessibly organized by academic areas and subjects, there are more than 250 lists that will enable the homeschooling parent to customize and enrich unit studies, encourage and facilitate memorization work, as well as enabling parents to readily answer questions asked by their children in the course of their studies. These 'user friendly' lists about people, dates, mathematical formulas, word origins, etc., will substantially assist the sparking of curiosity and a desire to learn in the student -- and so much more! Enhanced with the inclusion of an accompanying CD that will enable any list in being printed out, "The Homeschooler's Book Of Lists" can be confidently recommended as an invaluable curriculum development aid and supplement for all homeschooling parents.
on August 17, 2009
I first found this book through our local library system. After checking it out from the library, I looked through it and decided that this book was worthy of purchase! One of my favorite things about the book is the companion CD which includes every list from the book - ready to print out! I expect that we'll print out certain pages & use the printout to easily research various topics on the internet or at the library. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who homeschools but also to parents with kids in public school.
on January 12, 2008
I purchased this book as I homeschool my children. This is a very helpful book for quick reference on a large number of topics. I just purchased it about a month ago and have used it several times already. I see myself using this often.
on January 16, 2008
The Homeschooler's Book of Lists is the most useful resource (next to the Bible) I have for my homeschool. Some of the lists I printed off for my 7th grader to memorize and many more will be just for reference. Just this week, my son was doing his geography and asked me what the 7 wonders of the world were. Not wanting to tell him I don't remember them all, I got the book of lists and sure enough, it was there! I was so pleased, we didn't have to go online to research. Every homeschooler should have this book on their shelf right next to the dictionary!
on June 21, 2014
I really enjoy this book and think the author needs to publish an updated version to keep it current with the times. My one beef was under the major world religions where it seems a few were omitted for whatever reason and I believe they should all be included or skip the chapter all together. We are Catholic but it was clear that the Mormon faith, which is a world religion, was omitted as was as Jehovah's Witness. Our children will not break into a million pieces if they are given all the facts of the world to sort out with our guidance rather than omitting facts in order to hide things that adults may not be comfortable with.
on October 15, 2009
I agree with all of the 4 or 5 star reviews about this book. I too, first got it from the library. I liked it so much that I purchased it on Amazon. My kids, age 7, age 13, and age 16, all love it. I find it very interesting and fun to read! I too recommend it for both homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers. It's a book everyone can enjoy and learn a lot from!
on July 9, 2011
The Homeschooler's Book of Lists, by Sonya Haskins

The first word that comes to mind when trying to describe this book is WOW. Whether you are going to home educate or not, if you have kids this book will be useful.

With over 550 pages of lists, this book has topics of interest for any child. A few examples of topics included are: Independent Agencies of the Federal Government, major inventions (including the who, when, what, and where), major world religions, deadliest animals (including how many deaths worldwide, and how to prevent attacks), and recommended reading for all ages. Though there is a bit more focus on American topics in some chapters, there is plenty of information that covers worldwide topics as well. This is by no means a book geared specifically to Americans.

Of all the books I have, I can easily see this book being pulled off the shelve the most often (besides my Bible, of course.) If you're homeschooling, this will be a great resource for study topic ideas and research, and if your kids attend school elsewhere, they can find information on pretty much any topic.

This book also includes a CD-Rom so that you can print off any list. Nice!
(...)
on October 9, 2011
There are some helpful comments from both the publisher and the author that are at the end of Sasha Mahone's remarks. For example, the author makes an excellent point when she states,

"Rather than do that, the publisher opted to include a CD that can print out each and every list from the book and here's the great part, you can search even by a single word or phrase to find what you're looking for anywhere in the book! It was a terrific alternative and I think it ended up working better than any index could have. For example, when I want to find out if any of the lists contain information with "German" in them, I would just type in "German" in the "Find" box and it would pull up every single instance that this word is used in the book."
I will now definitely buy this book / CD combo!

My 11 year old son will not stop studying the copy we borrowed from the library. Now that I realize the exponential value of the CD, I will purchase it.
on August 31, 2011
This book is a great comprehensive list of lists.
My favorite lists are not necessarily the curriculum based ones...like toddler chore ideas.
If you are building a curriculum, whether homeschool or not, this book is great.

One thing to note, it's religion section is very christian. I wish it had a more diverse point of view. But because it doesn't really matter that much I only took away one star.

That and I really wish it was...updated. George W. Bush isn't listed for his first election...but not the end of the world.

I don't foresee using this book past middle school. But I do think it helps take the pressure off while one gets into the groove of homeschooling.

It is also really fun to look at.
on February 22, 2008
This has to be the best reference book I've come across, for finding quick references!
The information is organized and very easy to find, and was a pretty interesting read.
I do homeschool a 2nd grader, and I know this will be invaluable in our schooling future.
Every house with school-aged children should have a copy of this book!
If you get it, you won't be sorry!