4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Nostalgia
I bought this as a gift for my husband's 28th birthday. When he was a kid, his mother never let him eat candy. Needless to say he is a complete sugar fiend, and would eat candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him!

When he opened the box, he exclaimed, "This is a really cool gift!" and immediately tore into the box. It generated a great conversation...
Published on March 27, 2006 by G. Noonan

2.0 out of 5 stars major disappointment
Published on December 26, 2007 by Ramon Olivo

2.0 out of 5 stars major disappointment, December 26, 2007
Looking at my 80's box, I am very disappointed with it. I cannot believe that there is a 1 liter bottle of soda in this small box, it takes up a third of all the space! This is a flat out rip-off, that was space that could have had candy! Not to mention that it isn't even a brand that we'd ever heard of, so it does us zero for nostalgia. Furthermore, there are more suckers in the box than anything else! I feel like this box, which should have been very easy, was completely thrown together without much thought and is complete garbage, especially as most of the candy is still available in stores.

I had to spend more money just to fill in that empty third of the box when I threw the soda away!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 80's, September 3, 2008
They missed the mark on this one. Zours is NOT an 80's candy. It wasn't introduced until the late, late 90's. They didn't include sour patch kids?

Missed Bonkers, Fun Dips, and other now defunct candies. Lame!

2.0 out of 5 stars Let Down!!, February 21, 2008
When I saw the picture I was excited. I was going to give this as a 30th birthday present but I decided to try if for myself. It was a huge let down. I don't remember wink soda and it tasted like a generic mountain dew. The candy could have been from any decade. BTW where were the gummy savers. It was mostly generic stuff. Not worth the price at all. Shipping was too much. If they would take out that nasty generic soda the shipping could be cut in half.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but..., June 15, 2009
Frugal McDougal "Frug" (binghamton, ny United States) - See all my reviews
The idea is a good one. Who doesn't want to reminisce about their childhood when they were free and innocent?! But the price is a bit steep and the products aren't that impressive. Many of these items can be found in certain grocery or candy stores, and for a fraction of the price. It would be much more impressive and tantalizing if there were items that you can't find regularly. I would like to see one with old favorites such as dweebs, bonkers, gatorgum or bar none (to name a few). Bring back those and you can charge me any price you want!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the DinoSour Eggs??, November 22, 2010
Matt "Matt C." (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
I might actually buy it if it had those. But seriously folks, just find a Sweet Factory in a mall and you can get 90% of this stuff for 90% less money. They're just trying to sell you on the 80's nostalgia title.

3.0 out of 5 stars Couple of favorites saved it, January 23, 2009
Most of the candy in this package goes into, as others have said, a generic feel. I was only 4 when the 80s started so I do remember most of these items, but I don't ever remember buying wax fangs for anything except Halloween.

I do remember Wink, I've noticed that some reviewers have mentioned they had never heard of it. I believe it was a mid-atlantic, upper south drink, Tennessee/Kentucky maybe Ohio areas. It seems like I liked it better when I was younger, but I don't really care for soft drinks now so that could be the problem.

The ones that saved this package for me: The Smoothie and Goetze's Cow Tail. I never saw Smoothie's sold anywhere except this one little corner drugstore back in the early 80s. I can remember going there with my grandmother and she would always buy me what is pretty much a Reese Cup with no chocolate. The Cow Tale brought back the most memories for me. There was a gas station called Hop In, where I lived. The Cow Tails were in a big see-through container and I think were 20 cents each. My friends and I, when in elementary school, would buy these every morning before school from the Hop In beside of the school. I can remember holding one in my mouth while playing Donkey Kong or Joust in the back of the store.

For bringing back some memories, I give the product 5 stars. It was used in a recent 15 year reunion from high school. For product selection, I give it a 3. Most of these candies are still available. As a matter of fact, I just bought a large container of Fire Balls, which was my favorite candy of the 80s. I have to take a little off the score for the shipping and the inclusion of products that aren't exactly candy, like the Wax Fangs and the Wax bottles.

Anyone reading this that wants to get a few good memories and taste does help you remember things, I would recommend it, especially for reunions, but I can't say for candy lovers to buy it.

Now can someone tell me what those candies were called that were like Fire Balls, but they were extremely sour? My wife and I are from two very different parts of the country and she says I'm crazy, "That's explains why I married you!"

Seriously, I'm thinking they were called Tear Jerkers or Cry Babies or something like that. One of the things I remember about those is that they turn your tongue yellow. So you could never hide them in school, in your mouth. Anybody know what those were called?

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, August 24, 2011
I bought this for my fiance's 30th birthday. Some of the candy was smashed, some of the boxes had a tear/hole and there was very little candy. This box is very overpriced. This is by far the worst Amazon purchase I have made.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it!, April 10, 2010
This is a major disappointment. I found a much better one elsewhere online.. Better yet? The store in my local mall carries better candy and without the shipping cost... AND, I for soda? I still find "Crush" in my local store. Sure the label has changed.... Whoa? I just had an idea.. I'll make my own box and market it here. It will be better than this one!.. Stay far away!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this item!, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Hometown Favorites 1980's Nostalgic Candy Gift Box, Retro 80's Candy, 3-Pound (Grocery)
I really wish I would have read the reviews before purchasing this,unfortunately I bought it during a lightening deal and felt rushed to purchase it. Read the review I completely agree this product or sale is crap! The cute box in the picture isn't even in the shipped product, it all is just tossed in a shipping box with some cheezy saying I can't even read because it's covered in shipping labels, and tape. I opened the box to find the majority of the weight it a 1 liter bottle of some soda I have never heard of, and I would say about 50% of the candy wasn't even legit, and most of it was generic! Seriously disappointed in this product. I could have created something unique myself with candy from the $1 store because that's what this felt like! So save yourself some time and money and don't buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 23, 2011
I received this box for my birthday, and the candy tasted stale, like it was stored in somebody's basement and the soda was flat. The pop Rocks were melted into a single gooey mess, and some of the packages were wet.

Rate and Discover Movies