Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 14, 2009
The print edition of 'Homicide' has a 8-page set of black and white photos in the middle:

1) 6 portraits of detectives that appear in the book.
2) below them 6 pictures of the characters they inspired in the TV series.
3) and three more: 2 detectives at a crime scene, David Simon at the pub with the guys, The Board.

These pictures are gone from the Kindle edition. Whereas this is a rather minor loss, you are not missing anything essential from the reading experience, something has been subtracted from one edition nevertheless. So you've been warned.
on December 29, 2015
Depressing. I loved the HBO series "The Wire," which was derived from this book, but the book is depressing and gets boring after a while. I couldn't finish it. I can understand why those in law enforcement would love it though.
on April 24, 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in homicide detectives. They would find it interesting, but I really did not.
on November 12, 2015
Decent.
on May 30, 2013
i'm only about half-way through. it's a little hard to keep all the characters straight, but well written and informative. also i think it doesn't need to be quite as long---600+ pages. i'll finish it because it holds my interes.
on November 21, 2009
Given the hype, I expected to like this book more than I did. As the author was "embedded" with the detectives there is little balance in his reportage of them. They are all likeable types with some quirkiness. Perhaps I might have enjoyed the book more had I read it when it was first published in 1991. Reading it now, I found its style to be a bit dated.
on September 16, 2009
The author develops this plot so slowly that I'm amazed he is a journalist by profession. Perhaps that's a refelction of why journalism today is so lousy. I found the development of the plot and the writing of the book so cumbersome that I've put it down and read other books three times.... Oh I'll finish it on some night when I've read and reread all other books in the house....