Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on October 10, 2005
I was mislead by the title of this book. I expected it to cover honda crv 2001 as the title suggests, but brief look into the book showed that both engine layouts in the book do not match my car. Also cabine air filer installation was different too. I didn't check the rest.

My experience with this Chilton's type of books they are not adequite even to install security system, since electrical layouts in these books are very schetchy (I am talking about Chilton's Odissey-crv book I got later). They don't even have layout of stock radio, which is probably the most common type of work done. What's the point in buying them then? I wonder if anybody uses this type of books for engine overhauls. If it is as bad as their electrical layouts, what is the point to include that section?

Amazon did poor job as well by not refunding me shipping charges for the book, while I clearly indicated that the book is not about what it claims it is. I guess this is the last Chilton's book I purchased, since the web is much more complete source of the information, for something which is not trivial just get the official shop manual.
0Comment26 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2007
I purchased this book for information on changing brake pads for a 2001 Honda Civic DX. It has the information I was looking for. (NOTE: I haven't actually done the work yet so I can't comment on the quality of the information) At the same time I ordered the Hayne's Manual for my model thinking it would be good to have two different sources of information. Revieweing both books I found that the text and photos are exactly the same in both books. They must be published by the same company. So don't bother purchasing both. (NOTE: As a tribute, I am posting the exact same review for the Hayne's manual.)
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2007
I bought this just to be disappointed. Every car has a list of common problems that pertain to pretty much all of them. This book doesn't mention a single one. Squeeky clutch? nope! rocking driver chair? nope! Fuel filler door not opening? not there either. And these are VERY common in 2001-2002 civics. I have a manual 2001 civic dx. This book doesn't even show you how to replace the transmission fluid correctly. The screw they show in pictures is not the transmission fluid drain plug. I also bought this book to fix my back brakes (shoes). Sure, there is a step by step instruction with pictures, unfortunately it's all wrong, why? when you remove the drum, the whole shoe assembly is behind the bearing hub. They never show or tell you that it's supposed to be removed, yet on their pictures it's mysteriously gone! They fail to mention that it's very hard to remove it, and without removing it, you can't just "pop" everything else off just like that. the bearing hub is in the way and it's hard as hell to replace those brakes with it in the way.
on September 23, 2007
I bought this book because I'm sick and tired of being ignorant about car repairs. When I talked about my car with somebody, I was at their mercy because I had no way of knowing whether they were being truthful with me. If I have to take my car to an auto mechanic I wanted to have more knowledge so that I could talk intelligently with the mechanic regarding the course of action that they would recommend for my car. I also wanted to have the knowledge to know whether or not I could fix a problem myself. After reading the book, I now have a better understanding of my 2001 Honda Civic EX, and I feel I can make better choices if I ever have a problem with my car. And I feel that I have enough knowledge to know whether or not I could fix the problem on my own.

However, the book did have a few shortcomings. It discussed the interior ventilation filter, but it failed to mention that there are 2 filters instead of 1. Thankfully, our local Advance Auto Parts store had a computer that knew that I needed to purchase 2 filters.

I do not feel that I have enough knowledge to disassemble the engine, but I do feel I have enough knowledge to change the brake pads. For these reasons, I rate the book a 3 out of a possible 5.
on July 6, 2008
This book mixes 'how-to' for the civic and CR-V, but neither with the detail or completeness that either civic or CR-V owners would like. If you have a CR-V and want a complete manual... keep looking.
on July 24, 2012
This book is great. It explains all the major service that you will need to keep your car in top condition. I saved tons of money using this book to help with all the major maintenance procedure.
on December 10, 2013
Did not include my year model of 2001 Honda CRV which title suggest. Front cover list other models lower on cover, different than top of book.
on September 7, 2013
I thought this book is a guideline for Honda in entire world. But in fact its not because its so much different with Honda in Indonesia.
on January 21, 2013
This book had all of the information I needed to be able to maintain and repair my car. I would definitely recommend it to others.
on August 10, 2015
Not very good. Covers too many models. Haynes would be much better