5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, excellent on gas
We drive a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and get consistently between 45 to 50 mpg (commuting 20 miles in city highway traffic) as average on a tank of gas. I did see a performance degradation, too, after that software update - however it was only 2 or 3 mpg.
Published on September 2, 2012 by Thomas Hutegger

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised
Published on September 22, 2010 by DigitalMah

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, excellent on gas, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Honda Civic
Overall, I am very happy with this Civic, and clearly would buy another Honda - if they were to focus on good gas-mileage again. Their current cars are listed with less than 40 mpg, which, to me, in today's world is inadequate; something I would expect from GM, but not from Honda!
I hope they get their priorities adjusted again soon, so I can get my fourth Honda, when this car needs to be replaced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Honda Civic
My 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid is quiet, comfortable, HOWEVER, it is not as advertised. I do not get 40 mpg regardless of what the manufacturer recommends for fuel efficiency. It is rare that I get 30 mph; usually no more than 25-28 mpg. I have a "light foot" and am conscientious about using fuel saving driving techniques. I had a software upgrade to the main battery function last year, and since then my fuel efficiency has dropped drastically. The dealer (Long Beach Honda) and their corporate office in Torrance deny there is anything wrong with my car and blame it on "operator driving habits." No way! Nothing has changed in my driving habits; I contend that it is directly related to their software upgrades. Honda is denying this and trying to blame me for their technological failures. Subsequent to my initial review, I have had two dealers state that they do not like to lie to their customers, and that the mileage decline is directly related to the software update Honda did last August.

The other issue I have had is with the glass. It became "etched" with what looks like water spots on the sides of the windshield (the dealer's definition) and at the "V" junction where the wipers do not reach at the top center of the windshield. The dealer replaced it as a "courtesy"; however, I believe it was a warranty issue because there is an apparent defect in the glass. The car has received no different maintenance and is parked in the same environment as any of my previous vehicles, which never had a glass problem. I use Honda products to clean the windshield. The new windshield has the same problem; so, I can only conclude it is a defect which the manufacturer is not acknowledging.

Obviously Honda does not step up to the plate and accept the responsibility for lack of perfomance by its Civic.There are too many hybrid vehicles available now; based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend buying a Honda Civic Hybrid, and based on Honda corporate's rejection of their responsibility, I would not recommend buying any Honda.

Honda Civic