Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 18, 2012
If you want to transfer old tapes from an old cassette recorder and perform clean-up operations, you will do better with a full-featured audio editor like Magix Audio Cleaner which allows input from multiple sources. I bought this in addition to owning the Magix software because it came with a free USB cassette player. The cassette player is junky. The lid (the cover that opens to insert a tape) is flimsy and looks like it is easily broken. The auto-reverse (one time) did not work. This would be very useful if it did because you could set the total recording time and let the tape play/record both sides. Tech support advised me to set it on the permanent auto reverse (the player will keep reversing the tape until you stop it. There is a tape direction toggle but no indication of which way it changes direction. The "Play" button did not always work--kept popping up without catching.

After a few transfers from a tape deck to PC, the USB player started introducing a low frequency flutter-like rumble. Tech Support, which used to be good from Honestech with their VHS to DVD converter, has plummeted. Technician offered only simple obvious troubleshooting suggestions like trying a different USB cable or USB port, which I had already tried. Support seemed bound and determined to insist the probem was something on my computer. My original tapes played clean and transferred without the rumble using the Audio feature in the Honestech VHS to DVD program and converter, even though it was more cumbersome.

I finally sent support samples of tapes digitized with the Audio Recorder, with the VHS/DVD Audio app, and with Magix Audio Cleaner. Only the ones made with the Audio Recorder 2.0 Plus had the rumble. The technician replied that he could not detect the rumble, even though two witnesses here could hear it. I finally used Magix Audio Cleaner to remove the higher frequencies from a recording, leaving just the rumble and sent that. The Technician had to admit he could hear the rumble on this sample, but said if I returned it, they would determine whether it was something added by the product (as if I am wasting my time creating a fictitous noise or it is an electronic ghost?).

Support consists of returning the player for "Evaluation." The warranty specifies that your protection only extends to having the player repaired or replaced (with a re-manufactured player). In rare cases, they might agree to refund your purchase but this is solely at their option. And they will charge a $10 re-stocking fee. The tech said another option was for me to purchase a new one. My mistake was in buying direct, not through Amazon with some buyer protection.
on November 15, 2011
My husband has 40 years of old cassettes that he will no longer be able to listen to after this cassette player dies. Fortunately, it is a vintage cassette player from the early eighties and was a good one for that time so it'll probably last a while but who knows. This software and cable was so easy to use even I can use it. There are not a lot of editing options but it works well and the cd's sound great. I wish I had seen the honestech software that burns vhs as the reviews said it can also convert audio as well. I should have gotten that software as he has lots of old vhs tapes laying around and still has a player that works for now but probably not forever and they are getting harder to come by.
on May 22, 2015
Ad was a little confusing. Said converter box included along with software and cables. When product arrived no converter box. Contacted seller an he explained no box was needed if I played my lp ' s through my home stereo. Product works as described. Still playing around with the software. Working as intended. Thanks