Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Software|Change

Showing 1-10 of 181 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on April 13, 2011
Unfortunately, this did not work on my HP computer with a dual-core 2.2 gHz cpu, 3.0 gig of memory, and 2.0 USB running Vista. Their e-mail technical support was quite supportive and responsive; however, in the end they said they could not figure-out why it wasn't working on my computer and offered a refund. It would work at lower resolution; however, the DVD at high resolution was jerky and pixilated whenever there was much movement. According to their tech support, it was not a lack of computer-power or resources, and they said it must be a conflict with some other software installed. They were unable to determine what conflict, although they did ask for and received a system profile file using MSINFO32. So I will take them up on their offer of a refund and write-off the return postage as the cost of experience.

It is too bad, as it was exactly what I needed and it worked well, except for the poor quality of the final product it produced.
99 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2011
The software is easy to work with, and the VidBox gadget is easy to plug-and-play. However, they just don't work. As soon as a tape starts playing, the audio and video start to fall out of sync. By the end of a two-hour videotape, there are as many as two seconds between someone's lips moving and hearing the words.
1111 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2011
I'm running a Dual Core Windows 7 machine with 4 GM of RAM, well above the minimum requirements.

* Seems to capture video ok but frequently fails when "Creating DVD Structure"
* When it actually succeeds, it fails to burn the disc
* Looking at the resulting VOB files after it failed to burn the disc (which you can't just subsequently burn, you have to redo the whole freaking thing) the video and audio are woefully out of sync
* I tried about 6 times to burn a 2 hour video, each time it failed in some way
77 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2011
This item did not work for me. I was able to burn one out of about 5 trys. I was able to send this back with no problems, which I really appreciated, and got my money back.
on January 6, 2011
I bought this during a daily special for under $30, and I still feel I paid too much. The quality of the digital conversion is much worse than the original VHS source, and the editing software was the most counter-intuitive program I have ever used. Even deleted segments kept coming back, and it kept adding an opening segment with the text "My text" and closing segment with the date on it even after I repeatedly deleted them. I would rather lose my old VHS source than use this product again.
on May 1, 2011
All VHS tapes copied to DVD using this item were very grainy and not worth the time to record them. Quality was very poor. I am keeping my VHS player and tapes.
on May 9, 2011
I don't like to give negative reviews but this one deserves it. My comments on the refund form say almost all that needs to be said.

"VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe does not fulfill any of the manufacturer's claims. It does not even capture at VHS quality. Even with S-Video from high quality Laser Disks and quality software I already have. The included software is a toy and very cumbersome to use." ... It also has an onerous registration and activation set-up like one might expect for Avid or Final Cut but not for this dumb program. Plus, one must go behind the program's back and move the temporary mpg files because the software insists that you insert a writable DVD to set the encoding parameters. If you don't have a dual layer DVD laying around, there is no option to just save the file to disk.

My purpose for video capture is this: I have a large collection of Laser Disks, whittled down to those that have not been re-released on DVD. About 20 Laser Disks are from NASA space missions, others are films you can't get on DVD like Wim Wenders long version of "Until the End of the World."

I went to a local Micro center store and tried two other USB video capture products; the SIIG USB 2.0 Video Capture Device and Adesso Video Capture Express.

The SIIG product is identical to the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe. I didn't bother to install it when I saw the device driver was for VidBox, the same hardware in a sleeker case and the same, useless Honestech software.

The Adesso product does a good job at capturing 4x3 video but mats 16x9 video. I have tried to contact Adesso support but this product , as of today, is not even listed on their drop-down to select the product you are asking about. I filed a report under "accessories" 12 days ago concerning the matting issues and have heard nothing as of this date.

Adesso comes with Cyber Link Power Director, which is a nice product. However they have "gone to the dark side" with copy protection. It won't record analog video from a Laser Disk.

If anyone out there knows how I can record the video off these ancient Laser Disks without matting the 16x9 format, please, let me know. And no, I don't want to buy an iMac and a MacroVision filter. I only want to save my investment is Laser Disks that make DVD prices seem trivial.
66 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2011
I bought this program to transfer my grandkids old vhs tapes to dvds. After the first install I experienced my first fatal blue screen since upgrading to MS windows 7 pro. Called support and got some suggestions to remedy the problem. More fatal blue screens. Finally gave up and returned it to Amazon
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2010
no matter what resolution I set things to, the quality is 5th rate. In other words, it would be better to watch the VHS and then throw it away. It is also time consuming for the poor quality. I would return it, but it would cost me return charges. Just suck it up as a lost cause.
on April 5, 2012
Bought this as a economical tool to covert my old VHS to digital format. I have a new 64-Bit Windows 7 laptop, 2.7GHz processor, 4GB RAM and figured this was enough firepower to do a simple conversion but I guess it just wasn't chunky enough for the Honestech software. Captured video was more choppy than Boston Harbor during a hurricane and when trying to do simple editing the software would simply seize up every time I went to do a split. I mean even the Windows Movie Maker can do a split and that's a Microsoft app folks.

I contacted the Honestech people and their service department had no clue and was supposed to send me a form and turn my case over to actual engineers but they never sent the form and that was a long time ago and I missed my opportunity to just bundle the whole thing up and return it. Now I have to go get some other product and this is getting less economical by the moment.

Don't be me. Go elsewhere for your conversion needs.