1,038 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, memories!
This software does what it says: it helped me convert my old VHS home movies to DVD. Yay! The software has two settings: 1) The basic mode works smoothly and simply. 2) The advanced mode was incredibly S-L-O-W on my computer, but it works if you're patient.

Basically, you install the software on your computer, then hook up your VCR (or camcorder) to the...
Published on January 7, 2011 by Frogleggy

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me
Unfortunately, this did not work on my HP computer with a dual-core 2.2 gHz cpu, 3.0 gig of memory, and 2.0 USB running Vista. Their e-mail technical support was quite supportive and responsive; however, in the end they said they could not figure-out why it wasn't working on my computer and offered a refund. It would work at lower resolution; however, the DVD at high...
Published on April 13, 2011 by Penguin

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Does Not Work, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
I'm running a Dual Core Windows 7 machine with 4 GM of RAM, well above the minimum requirements.

* Seems to capture video ok but frequently fails when "Creating DVD Structure"
* When it actually succeeds, it fails to burn the disc
* Looking at the resulting VOB files after it failed to burn the disc (which you can't just subsequently burn, you have to redo the whole freaking thing) the video and audio are woefully out of sync
* I tried about 6 times to burn a 2 hour video, each time it failed in some way

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid hardware, decent software, October 3, 2011
Scott C. Savett (Allentown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
Rescuing content from 20-year-old home VHS tapes has been on my "to-do" list for a while. Realizing that the tapes were likely degrading over time, I bit the bullet and purchased VHS to DVD 5.0 based on the Amazon reviews.

I am quite satisfied with the end result. Using a high-end JVC Hi-Fi Super VHS deck and its S-Video output, the quality of the resultant MPEG videos was surprisingly good. Keep in mind that this product does not perform miracles: native VHS resolution is poor compared to modern DVD or Blu-Ray resolution.

The drivers installed flawlessly on Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). The software had a slight glitch and complained about a missing template every time I started it up in advanced mode. It turned out to be a permission issue that was fixed by changing file permissions as a Windows administrator.

Initially, I was concerned about the tracking pixel rows on the bottom of the video coming from the converter. However, once the MPEG files were burned to a DVD and displayed on a set-top DVD player, it was obscured. However, when viewing the DVDs on a computer, the additional tracking pixel rows were visible, but was not a big deal.

Also of initial concern that turned out to be a non-issue was audio/video sync mentioned by other reviewers. After transferring a lengthy video, there seemed to be a lag between audio and video. Fortunately, it was only a user interface artifact. When the MPEG was played later, the two were in sync.

Needing more advanced editing functions, I ended up using the included software only to capture the video. Once the MPEG files were on my hard drive, I used Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0 (commercial, free 30-day trial) to finish things off and prepare the DVD content.

Overall, I would recommend this product. The price point was good, and the performance met my expectations. You could spend more money for a more robust hardware solution (such as an internal card), but there's no guarantee the end result would be any better since the source VCR and its VHS resolution will likely be the limiting quality factor.

1.0 out of 5 stars VHS to DVD converter, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
This item did not work for me. I was able to burn one out of about 5 trys. I was able to send this back with no problems, which I really appreciated, and got my money back.

3.0 out of 5 stars good video; bad editing, January 5, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
Good video quality. Utter crap when it comes to transferring to DVD. For whatever reason, it can't transfer any video over about 35 minutes to DVD without splitting it into two downloads. This takes about two times as long as the digital file lasts ... and then it can't seem to download to the DVD.

In other words: software asks for a reasonable amount of time to edit and download video. But when it comes to burning to DVD, it's useless.

Who has this kind of time to waste?

2.0 out of 5 stars Still in Limbo, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
48 hours later and I am still trying to get a 2nd DVD burned. Actually, it only took 12 hours the first time to read the instructions and get through "pilot error" to burn a DVD from my old box of VHS tapes. Since that initial "success", every time I get through the 2-3 hour process of reviewing the tapes, copying them and then editing them -- the software freezes when I hit "merge and save". I have waited patiently for HOURS but finally had to reboot my computer and start over every time. I have been careful not to exceed the DVD-R limit and have even tried burning as little as 30 mins. I am tired and ready to throw it in the garbage, but will probably return it and look for something that works. I am no technomage, but no ingenue, either. If you are planning on editing your VHS tapes, look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best.., January 6, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
I bought this during a daily special for under $30, and I still feel I paid too much. The quality of the digital conversion is much worse than the original VHS source, and the editing software was the most counter-intuitive program I have ever used. Even deleted segments kept coming back, and it kept adding an opening segment with the text "My text" and closing segment with the date on it even after I repeatedly deleted them. I would rather lose my old VHS source than use this product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very grainy reproduction, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
All VHS tapes copied to DVD using this item were very grainy and not worth the time to record them. Quality was very poor. I am keeping my VHS player and tapes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy but parts may work, January 26, 2011
LS "Miracle Man" (scotts valley, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
After finding this product and reading about it, I wondered why I would purchase from a company called Honest Technology. I did it though even after reading the reviews that gave me a warnings. What was compelling after even reading the negative reviews was the price I got - after discounts, etc. I felt I couldn't go wrong. What I saved in dollars though I've lost in man days in trying to get this to work. however, all was not lost.

This all started as a result of buying a new HDTV. As I was going through the entertainment center which I had for 20 plus years, I noticed my old 8MM camera. I also discovered that my VHS unit, which I never use, was broken. My grandkids mostly watched old children videos but I also had some tapes that I wanted to preserve. I hit upon the idea of converting them all to DVD. Upon searching the web, the options weren't great. I was looking at one converter that was around $300. VHS to DVD looked to be a solution without a lot of money but the reviews from some were pretty negative. I wasn't too concerned about the quality but the sound and general video were important and some people did not have luck with that. I finally took the plunge when I saw an ad at our local computer store - it was so cheap I couldn't resist.

Soon after purchase, I was up and running. The hardware was easy to install and so was the software. It took a few minutes of reading to get my 8MM camcorder hooked up and recording video. I was off and running. I recorded about an hour of some old golf video I had and wanted to edit it to just have the golf swings on it. Soon I had my MPG file with the golf video and sound and I plunged into the EDIT mode of the software. Not being familiar with movie editing, it took a little bit getting used to spltting, trimming, etc. I eventually split my video into some 20 small clips, after several halts, restarts, and crashes, and was ready to create my finished file. That's when other problems started. I could not get it to merge all those clips and create a file. It would start, take about 1-2 hours, stop, hang, etc. I realized then that the EDIT part of the software was very unstable and could not be used except for maybe the shortest of videos with the minimal amount of editing.

That led to another journey - the quest for video editing software to replace the EDIT function of VHS2DVD. I thought at least I could use if for the capture capability. I found a great piece of software for editing and movie creation for less than what the retail price of VHS2DVD costs and its 100x better. I was then able to take my original golf video captured by VHS2DVD and create a new video edited with all kinds of effects and am very pleased with the result.

I then started on the more ambitious project of downloading vacation videos (up to 3 hours for my first one) and going through the same process. This was where I was putting the conversion facilities of VHS2DVD to a real test. The results - mostly failure initially. On my first attempt, I downloaded 2 hours of video and went into my movie editing software to edit the movie. I noticed to my surprise that the first hour of video was missing although the file size was large enough for a full hour of video. Several downloads produced different results. Sometimes I'd get video but no sound, parts missing, etc. It was really a crapshoot. Now during this time I was also doing other things on my machine. I finally set the program up to run by itself, gave it a HIGH priority status within windows to make sure it would get all the available CPU & RAM possible (I have a Tecra M11, Intel I5 2.4GHZ processor, 4 MB RAM, 320GB hard drive, with separate NVIDIA GPU) and that seems to be working. I only download ˝ hour at a time with the idea that I will splice and edit it all within my movie software. This seems to be working fine and it has solved, albeit with a lot of effort, the objective of capturing the video from my 8MM camera and VHS without having to go to a DVD burner.

So, bottom line is this. If you're looking for a device that can capture your video from VHS or 8MM camcorder, then it may work. I say may because you probably need a very fast machine with lots of memory. Unless the video is small and requires very little editing, don't use their edit software. It doesn't work and as other reviewers indicated, is very slow to get even the most basic videos produced. I would have given this a 1.0 but I do have the capture part working to my satisfaction. However as a full integrated package of capture/edit/burn, it falls short and hence my 2.0 rating.

I will conclude though by saying that for an outlay of $70, I have a great piece of video editing software and the ability to capture VHS (using a loaner VHS) and 8MM video, edit them to create movies, and burn them to a DVD. There are some great moments which has been a pleasure to discover. Without VHS2DVD, I would have likely used a 3rd party service and not achieved the results I'm been able to get even though it's cost me a lot of time. They have a new version coming out which is supposed to support HD with a new piece of hardware but same software. Hopefully they've fixed some of their problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got Rid of those Old VHS tapes, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
Bought this item to get rid of boxes of old vhs tapes. Comes complete with hardware and software. All you need is a VHS player with red-white-yellow output.Had it hooked up in two minutes.Product software has two modes:
1. Easy Wizard mode
2. Advanced mode
Easy wizard allows burning DVD right to disk no frills. Advanced Mode has great features. Only negative is help section is sketchy and you have to dig down for ways to do advanced editing - titles,credits etc. Another thing I had not counted on was reliving all the memories on the vhs tapes. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and user friendly, July 30, 2011
Length:: 4:50 Mins

This my hands on review of the Honestech VHS to DVD unit.

Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe
Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe by Honestech (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$74.99