4.0 out of 5 stars Eventually worth some frustrations
Published 13 months ago by Elmer M. Cranton

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed--will not work
So I bought this based on the reviews--should be pretty plug and play, but it isn't. Let me preface this with the fact that I work on various types of software all day long, so I'm an advanced user. Hugely unimpressed with the vidbox and software.

Published 14 months ago by Laura Betterly

4.0 out of 5 stars Eventually worth some frustrations, August 19, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
Caution: This hardware is powered only through the USB-2 port. USB-2 ports are notorious for being underpowered, especially on laptops or if not attached directly and closely to the computer motherboard, without a bridge, not a shared port, and not with an excessively long cable, etc. This may explain some of the problems reported by others. If your hardware and operating sysem match the manufacturers requirements, you may have no problems at all. Some users report a seamless and sucessful insatllion. Not the case with me, even with a good port and adequate power.

I had a frusrating time installing, but it eventually works OK and as as advertised.
I have a powerful desktop system, far exceeding manufacturer's stated requirements, operating under Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit version. After multiple attempts to install and connect with the device, I share the following.

The driver on the installation CD was out of date. After a failed installation, uninstall, multiple attempts to reinstall,I found it necessary to uninstall totally, do use a registry clean utility to delete many registry entries not removed and not deregistered by uninstall, and start fresh with an updated driver downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

The following procedure eventually worked. DO NOT connect the VIDBOX to the USB cable until step 4 below.
1) download manufacturer's latest driver from online and install this first, before an anything else. Then reboot.
2) Check "Device Manager" to insure that "HT VIDBOX" is installed and working normally under "Sound, Video, Game Controllers."
3) Install software from CD that came with the product. Then reboot again.
4) Only after the above do you connect the USB-2 to the VIDBOX.

Hopefully, that will sucessfujlly get the VIDBOX connected to your computer video/audio input

The sound card or system sound settings may require adjustments to record the sound properly, without clicks, squeals, whirring sounds, etc., depending on your setup.

Do not open or use any other application on the computer while capturing and recording video or video may get jumpy.

Once sucessfully installed and connected, this product worked for me as advertised. In the "Advanced Editing" mode I found that the merge/render function was quite slow, even on a powerful system, and I could not find a way to save a DV-AVI file for editing with other software. The editor provided was not very intuitive and quite limited.

Despite that above comments, I do not know of another capture product that will perform as well, especially not at this price, so it may be worth any potential frustrations. And you may have no problems at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
I received this product May 3rd. I had it working in about 5 minutes. It comes with all the necessary wires, one to connect to the vcr (rca cable) and one to connect via usb to your computer.

No need for a tv in the mix, just a pc, a vcr and the device in the middle.

The software installed easily and is simple to use.

I have already saved several old VHS tapes of family gatherings and such.

This is a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
I have a ton of old VCR tapess that go back into the early 1990's and need to convert them to digital format for burning to DVD. My choices were to outsource this at $10 per tape, purchase a VCR to DVd recorder (about $210.00), or take a chance on software. For the cost of the program, I figured there was not much risk in trying the software first. The beginning of the installation process was ok, but the program did not work after registration. It appeared that another option was going to be necessary. However; I kept digging around, and determined that the driver for the interface (a little white box which comes with the software) between my VCR machine and the laptop did not come with the installation disk. Worse, this problem was not disclosed in the installation instructions, so luckily I was tech savy enough to eventually figure it out myself. Go to the product website, sift thru the various drivers available, and find the one that matches (Windows 7, 64 bit). After that drama for several days, the next thing was to learn to work the program. The simple burn to DVD option worked like a charm, but the Advanced, which gives you a lot of options on content, etc. took some more time to use.

Anyway, now I am very pleased with this product, and I enthusiastically endorse it, if you are willing to get in there and get your hands a little dirty figuring it out. By the way, I have already more than "paid" for the software, and have over 20 tapes that I have already converted over to my hard drive, and some to DVD. Also, you can work with them once on the computer, because it creates Windows Movie Maker file formats as one of the options.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give this product 5 stars!!!, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
First of all let me say why I gave Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe 5 stars. I picked up version 2.0 several years ago at Costco and it worked great, but had issues. With a recent upgrade of my XP machine, I had to make a choice. I could buy the latest that would run on Windows 8 or change products.

After reading the many reviews here on Amazon on other products that were cheaper, I spent the extra money and went with what I already knew. Coming from 2.0 to 7.0, the changes are huge. I love the interactive menu and being able to change the aspect ratio. I am going to have to re-digitalize my movies again with the new larger ratio as home movies are priceless.

So it does convert the VHS or other media types (Camcorders, etc.) that have RCA inputs/S-Video in MP4/AVC format that work great for iPad, PC, etc., but as far as digitalizing my old movies MPEG is fine for me. I then use Nero 12 to edit and recode my movies to MP4 format. I have tried some of the other features and love the new everything. I hope this review helps and couldn't be more happy.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone interested in easy video converting/editing.

Dell Inspiron One
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed--will not work, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)

OK--followed the instructions--installed the software-rebooted. Then hooked up the Vid Box. Driver wouldn't install so I installed new drivers--rebooted. Fired up the software and it wouldn't recognize my VCR--OK went to support--reinstalled unit on different usb port. Then tried to fire up the software. Software hung up and had to reboot the computer. Tried again--hung up again. Tried various things to fix but always the same problem.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, found an update--same problem.

After about 3 hours I gave up and am going to return.

My son had a dazzle--used that and some free software we found and I could record--that took about 20 minutes total.

5.0 out of 5 stars best i have tried, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
tried several and were not great. recorded off JVC super hi-fi VHS top of line at the time. DVD playback of tapes was near same quality of VHS play. easy to use. has a neat feature, you tell it how long you want to record, up to three hrs.
recommend for beginners, have not tried audio yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars best choice out there, August 4, 2013
Zeppy "Zeppy" (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
My husband is a photographer who has been transferring VHS to DVD for years. We looked everywhere and read all the reviews for DVD recorders. We were looking at prices ranging in the $600-$1200 and the reviews still were disappointing. Most of them only worked for 3 months to a year and then broke. We were discouraged.

We took a chance at ordering this. In his professional capacity, my husband wasn't convinced that this would do the same job that he was used to producing for his clients. Well, he was extremely surprised. The volume and image from VHS to DVD was awesome. We watched the first test DVD on a 42" LED flat screen and there was absolutely no pixalation. The conversion went smoothly and it was extremely easy to use.

We've read some reviews suggesting that when making chapters the sync on the volume and picture fall out of sync. We haven't come across that yet. Maybe we will encounter it in the future, but for now, all seems to be working well for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars no response from manufacturer, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
Advance mode does not work. Have exchanged the item for a second set and still the same - the ADVANCED MODE WILL NOT WORK.
Have been calling the manufacturer's customer service for the past month and there is no response. Have left many messages without any call back. Have tried their 800 and regular phone numbers and always with automated response. Have left my name and phone numbers and there is never any call back.
Have tried e-mailing the customer service Dept. and same thing - NO RESPONSE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
After spending two days and 4 reinstallations of this product I finally gave up and sent it back to Amazon. Amazon is real good on returning items but the product itself is junk. The product comes with no instruction manual. There is however a pdf file that really is not that helpful. My video looked good in capture mode but in the edit mode it had lots of jumping and noise so much that it was unwatchable. Did not work for me. Thank you Amazon for taking it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use, August 17, 2013
Pablo Diaz (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe (CD-ROM)
Found it real easy to use. The only issue I had was getting my PC to update the driver. Went to the Honestech site and downloaded the driver for my VID BOX - the rest is following the wizard - could not have been simpler

Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe
Honestech VHS to DVD 7.0 Deluxe by Honestech (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$79.99 $63.41