5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the day....
Published on February 23, 2005 by kennedy19

3.0 out of 5 stars The Beginnings of the Berenstain Bears
Published on June 11, 2000 by K. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the day...., February 23, 2005
This review is from: The Big Honey Hunt, 50th Anniversary Edition (The Berenstain Bears) (Hardcover)
The Berenstains should be remembered for their beginning reader books of the sixties and early seventies. Back then, the drawing style was more free, the stories were simple but clever, and the bears were a memorably comic tour de force. (In latter years they became cranked-out and preachy, and dealt with all sorts of issues in longer picture books and novels. Bah.) What child has ever completely forgotten the impages of their early adventures? In this, their first book, we meet Papa Bear, the bluff but incompetent teacher, and his son, the woshipful pupil who is actually smarter than the teacher. Off they go with a bucket to get some real honey from bees, eschewing the store next to their house. A series of comic misadventures ensure, climaxing with the bears being chased by a swarm of bees and hiding underwater. They return home to buy honey the easy way, as Mama told them to do in the first place. Funny, concise, and still fun after all these years - such are the early Berenstain Bears.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Berenstains' book, February 18, 2002
This story is a fun adventure with lots of expressive illustrations and easy-to-read words. With 61 pages, a child really feels like he's accomplished something when he finishes this book.
Small Bear and Dad Bear go in search of honey. Mother tells them to go to the honey store, but Dad Bear has a better idea. They go in search of a honey tree. One mishap after another, they finally find their honey - only, where a bear finds honey, he also finds BEES.
Dad is clever, though, and they manage to escape unscathed... and they come home with honey, too!
A fun book, and great for beginning readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Beginnings of the Berenstain Bears, June 11, 2000
K. Bennett (Rolla, MO USA) - See all my reviews
The Berenstain Bears are my secret weapon in my constant battle to instill good habits in my kids. My kids may not listen to me nagging them to clean up their rooms, but they will listen to Mama Bear. Since there's a Berenstain Bear book that covers just about any problem that crops up in our house, we know Mama, Papa, Brother and Sister Bear almost as well as we know our next door neighbors (and they're related to us!).
If you only know the Bear family though some of their more recent books, you might be surprised to learn that the first few Berenstain Bears books aren't about problem-solving at all. Instead, they are rhyming books about life in what later came to be know as "the tree house down a sunny dirt road in Bear Country."
In the very first book, an empty honey pot sends Papa Bear and Small Bear (later to be known as Brother Bear) on a quest for some honey. Mama tells them to get it at the honey store, conveniently located just outside the front door. Papa Bear, however, has grander plans.
"Not at the store. Oh, no, Small Bear. If a bear is smart, If a bear knows how, He goes on a honey hunt. Watch me now!" If you've read any of the Bears' adventures, you'll know that of course Papa's grand plans backfire. He and Small Bear end up hiding in a pond to escape a swarm of angry bees. On the last page, Mama watches with a knowing smile as Papa buys honey from the store.
There's one person in my family who cringes every time a new Bear book shows up on the night's list of requested reading. My husband doesn't like to see Papa always portrayed as a buffoon. Sometimes, just to make my husband feel better, I'll let Papa be the sensible one and Mama be the comic relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fun book, much better than the later ones, February 8, 2011
Please don't judge all the Berenstain Bears books by the later ones, which deal with "issues" like cleaning your room, different-looking neighbors and eating too much junk food. The earlier ones, like "The Big Honey Hunt," are excellent - gently funny, without the tedious moralizing. My children loved this book and the Christmas one very much - they were read-every-night kind of books. Kids look forward to all the misadventures Papa gets into - they're lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic that all children should own, November 17, 2013
I love the original Berentain Bears books and so do my kids. They are wonderfully illustrated and the rhyme and meter are second to none. I was born and raised on these stories and I bought them for my children when they were born. "Inside, Outside, Upside Down" was the first book by daughter learned to read on her own. She is seven years old now and still loves them. These are timeless classics that you can pass on to your children and grandchildren. Buy them all now!

4.0 out of 5 stars We like this one a lot, July 23, 2008
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. Despite the cover, the bears on the *inside* of this book are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books. Also, the book is more of an early reader, it rhymes and is nowhere near as wordy as the newer, $4 books. (Tell the truth, I like all these older Berenstains better!)

The little bear and his dad go out to get honey, but of course they eschew the honey store *right next to their house* and go on, surprise, a honey hunt.

You can already tell that this Will Not End Well. After a series of predictable mishaps, they end up (predictably) buying honey at the store after all, much to the delight of the little ones.

This one is a *little* long for toddlers. Save it for the older pre-readers, or the ones learning to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If a tree goes BZZZZ, February 8, 2005
avidreader (Huntington, IN) - See all my reviews
This was one of my favorite books as a child. By the time my nephew was 1 yrs old he could do the "BZZZZ" part without being cued. Now, I've been reading it to my son, and he's beginning to read it back to me. There's just something very "comforting" about this book. I'm finally breaking down to buy a second copy, as my orignal copy is in many pieces and don't think it will survive long enough for our 2nd child to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun storytime book, November 9, 2006
My 2-year-old loves seeing Papa Bear get into trouble. We already had the Bear's Christmas, the Bear's Vacation and the Bear's Picnic, and she loves those too. The punch line, where Papa decides the best honey comes from the store he passed in the beginning, is lost on her but she looks forward to all the animals coming out of all the non-honey-trees to attack poor Papa.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Tradition, June 7, 2009
The Big Honey Hunt is a fun story for kids and adults, but it is essential reading in my family because my kids' grandparents were professional beekeepers. I bought this book for my first grandchild, who will not arrive for another three weeks. That is definitely a tradition! She will hear it read to her many times before she's old enough to read it to herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, May 25, 2013
Letricia (Gridley, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for a baby shower. Books were given instead of cards, which was such a good idea and more personal. This was my favorite book for my mama to read me as a child 50 years ago. I still like this one, it doesn't have all the politically correct jargon that the books have today. I would buy from this seller again.

The Big Honey Hunt, 50th Anniversary Edition (The Berenstain Bears)
The Big Honey Hunt, 50th Anniversary Edition (The Berenstain Bears) by Stan Berenstain (Hardcover - September 12, 1962)
$8.99 $8.09