Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 6, 2013
The story about his Jewish lover and adoption of her religion was not very interesting and contributed nothing to the main story. The story about his wounded Viet Nam war buddy was only a little more interesting but contributed nothing to the main story. I skipped chapter 27 altogether. I felt like I should have skipped more than that. The main story was a good one and stand on its own.
on August 14, 2015
I was surprised and, at first, delighted to see the author use her cultural knowledge of the Jewish religion in her development of plot and character. Then, realized, I was missing her inferences due to lack of my background and her full disclosure of languages used other than English. I wish I knew more Hebrew, but I'm not going to begin classes so that I can fully understand her untranslated passages. Cut them down to a minimum and provide full translation immediately. Other than these lost, to me, inferred insider passages, her writing is good, plot development good, character development good. Timing and flow is a little choppy. But, overall, I rate her early books a good read.
on June 5, 2013
Faye Kellerman has been a favorite author since her first novel back in the days when you could buy a paperback for 50-75 cents. Yes Virginia, there was even a time you could buy a paperback for 35 cents. Of course, I was VERY young and the memory of it is dim. In general, I can no longer afford her so imagine my delight when this came up as a Daily Deal. This fits well in my effort to downsize my need for living space to hold a couple of thousand books currently residing in stacked boxes in my garage. I bought this one, read it right away, and was absolutely delighted. It was like revisiting an old friend I've not seen for a long, long time. I hope more of my favorite armchair detective / police procedurals start showing up in the Daily Deal. In any case, this was a good read that gives one pause to ponder consequences of bad behavior and how they can ripple out to cause collateral damage. Excellent read.
on December 24, 2014
Fast paced, well developed characters and plot. I gave four stars instead of five because I'm not a fan of sexually graphic content. There were some gory depictions that the squamish reader might want to be aware of in advance. Death isn't pretty, especially when some time has passed. I would have liked to have seen the necessary scenes handled more artfully and less graphically, though in defense I would say the crime scene imagery was memorable.
on March 24, 2015
In this an early addition of Decker and Lazarus, Decker finds a toddler in the early hours of morning, wandering around a neighborhood, alone and with blood on her nightclothes. Who does she belong to, where did she come from, and whose blood is on her. Great who did it book.
on February 19, 2014
I just began this series. A friend gave me a box filled with all of the Decker/Lazarus books and advised that I "suspend belief" as well as ignore the too-frequent editorial goofs. He called them "good airplane stories." I barely got through the first one. But thought that they had to improve once the characters were better established, so read #2. I just finished shaking my head at major portions of #3, Milk and Honey -- parts of which I had to skim to get through them -- and began #4, Day of Atonement last night. This one is the deal maker-breaker. So many people seem to like this series, for many reasons, and that's good, because they have found characters and stories that they enjoy -- but I am just not convinced. So far, they just aren't intriguing or illuminating (and, sorry, some things are just very badly represented and/or researched). Except for his all-inclusively bigoted, and sometimes descriptively salacious mouth, especially when around his pals, sleazy contacts, and co-workers, the Decker character is ok for a LA detective, works hard at his job, and he shows promise of growing into an interesting character. The one-dimensional Rina character, however, bores me to stupification. Aside from her oft-mentioned physical beauty (far too oft), what the heck does he see in her? So, three 'test' books down, and one to go- - to see if I get any further with the series or if the box goes to Goodwill with best wishes. That's just my personal reaction. You might love them -- lots of people have!

Update: Too bad, since I have an entire box full of them. Not for me. Struggled to get halfway through #4 and am giving up. Off they go to Goodwill. Much the same problems as with the first three books. The constant racial slurs of every kind, way too much empty conversational 'noise' from side-characters, and so many grammatical and editorial errors in this one that the mind spins, and the boring Rina character who just keeps saying "I'm sorry." And should be. Perhaps the later ones improve -- but by now I just don't care.
on May 30, 2013
I've read two books by Faye Kellerman and really liked them, so I thought I'd give this one a go. It was just OK for me. The storyline itself was a tad monotonous and seemed a bit dragged out. I did, however, like that I got to know Decker and Rina better in their early relationship since the two books I previously read had them farther along as a couple. One of the things that bothered me in this story was Decker's friendship with Abel after his unforgivable confrontation with Rina. I don't believe most men would have just pushed that situation aside as easily as the author chose to do it. I will look for other books from this author, especially her later ones.
on November 20, 2013
Third book in the Decker/Lazarus series. The love grows between the characters. Rina grows in her Jewish faith, and Decker is learning about her religion. Kellerman is at her best in this thriller. I like the way she weaves the romance, religion, and murder mystery together. Kept my interest start to finish. Would recommend this book to a wide audience.
on April 12, 2014
This was an excellent book, with lots of twists and turns. A real page turner. The charters and the story were great. It kept me reading long into the wee hours of the morning. As you read one chapter it keeps you pushing to read a little more and before you know it it 5 am.
on June 7, 2013
This book read like an exercise in a Freshman English class. How much description can you get into one paragraph?? It seemed to me like the author was instructed to write a 500+ page book, so she described Everything --- ad nauseum. There were too many characters to keep up with and I really didn't care about all of those people. This was a book club pick, and it appears to me from the other reviews that perhaps we should have read one of the other Decker/Lazarus books as those seem to have gotten better marks. I was REALLY READY to get the end of this book. That said, one of my favorite quotes is "No GOOD book is EVER too long." THIS book WAS too long.