5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Great, Great!
Published on August 16, 2001 by Priscilla Stafford

1.0 out of 5 stars COLLECTORS BEWARE
This DVD presents the film in full frame, not widescreen. Why Disney did not include a widescreen transfer on the other side of the disc or as a separate release is beyond my reasoning capabilities. I had to return mine unopened once I realized this. Same for HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID.
Published on October 16, 2002 by Nick Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Great, Great!, August 16, 2001
The story is about an inventor Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) who is trying to perfect his machine which, when working, will shrink matter. The problem is, nothing he does seems to make it work. But somehow, his kids Amy and Nicky (Amy O'Neill and Robert Oliveri), and his next door neighbor's kids, Russell and Ron Thompson (Thomas Wilson Brown and Jared Rushton) are shrunk! Being only a few inches tall, they end up in the garbage bag and are taken outside. They get out but the only way back to the house is through the Szalinski's front yard. They meet up with a friendly ant, a killer scorpion, the danger of being chopped up by a lawnmower, and being drowned by a water sprinkler. Will they make it home so they can be made back to their normal size?
This movie is just GREAT! Even though it's a kids movie, it's great for adults, too. I love to watch this movie with my parents. I especially love Robert Oliveri and Jared Rushton. They did a very good job acting in it. Anybody who wants to enjoy a good movie with the family, watch "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorite movies, July 6, 2001
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Wayne Szalinski is convinced he has figured out a way to shrink the size of matter. It works great on paper, but he can't make it work in real life. While he's at a conference presenting his ideas, the machine accidentally shrinks his and his neighbor's kids. When they get thrown out with the trash, they must journey across the backyard, avoiding bugs, sprinklers, and lawnmowers. Meanwhile, Wayne and his wife try to fix the machine and find the kids. Will they find them before it's too late? Can Wayne figure out how to make the machine work to reverse the process?
This is one of my favorite movies. It combines a great story and great characters with great special effects. All the characters grow because of their experiences, even both sets of parents. The special effects still hold up today, and are there to tell the story, not the other way around. The story moves effortlessly from comedy to drama and back again.
It's a shame that there aren't more movies like this. Gather the entire family together and enjoy a great family film.

1.0 out of 5 stars COLLECTORS BEWARE, October 16, 2002
Nick Preston (Baldwinsville, NY United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CLASSIC, May 7, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (DVD)
Man I love this movie. It has lots of humour and more. I can't wait to buy this on DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER BAD TRANSFER, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (DVD)
fun flick....released 1:85 format in theaters.....this release 1:33...if you don't care if you miss some of the movie this is a good buy for you. if you want to see the movie the way the director wanted you to see it then skip this release

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible to USA DVD player., November 30, 2012
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (DVD)
I love this movie but It will not work in my DVD player. It says it's not compatible with USA DVD player.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Movie kept cutting out and "loading", January 11, 2013
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk The Kids (Amazon Instant Video)
The movie is a great movie as I saw it when it first came out, but playing it for my kids through Amazon was horrible. I started and restarted more than I got to watch it. I tried other shows and movies after getting so frustrated with this download and they were all fine, so it was not my connection speed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Special Effects Galore, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (DVD)
I have no idea how long ago I watched this on The Disney Channel, and taped it onto a video and watched it umpteen times. Just recently, I was able to afford it on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Inventor Wayne is having trouble with his shrinking machien that seems to blow things up until a neighbor boy hits a bseball through the attic wiindow, which lands in an area where the machine's beam pierces it, and suddenly objects become tiny, including both familes' sons and daughters. Thus begins a wild trek across the backyard encountering huge butterflies, bees, an ant and a scorpion. Both sets of parents fantically search for their children, unaware until later what has happened to them. Now Wayne, who had smashed his shrinking machine before knowing what it had accomplished, now has to put it back together so he can return the children to full size. The four kids try out a number of ways to get home, such as trying to hitch a ride on the family dog. I felt the kids looked very real to me in their tiny size, and found the large-scale objects they were filmed with very convincing. I had great fun watching it and know others will as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Disney classic., August 11, 2001
Rebecca (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS is one of the better Disney, live-action films out there. It's original and unique - followed by two [HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID and HONEY, WE SHRUNK OURSELVES] just as good sequels. This film is about a wacky scientist named Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) who knows all about science and nothing about family or the "real world". When Wayne creates a shrinking machine, in hopes that it will shrink matter, it actually ends up shrinking his kids, Amy and Nicky (Amy O'Neill and Robert Oliveri), and his next door neighbor's kids, Russell and Ron Thompson (Thomas Wilson Brown and Jared Rushton). They escape from the trash bag and end up entering what appears to be a jungle but is actually the Szalinskis' own backyard! Now, just a few inches tall, the kids must find a way to get to the house and get their parents' attention so they can deshrink them and turn them back to their normal sizes.
This is a very funny comedy, and there are some excellent visual effects, too. Everything from the shrunk kids to riding on a flying bee - there is some truly amazing special effects. The plot is solid and so is the acting. This is one Disney comedy I recommend for every family!

3.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly the world just got a whole lot bigger....., August 21, 2010
Eric S. Kim (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (DVD)
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids doesn't exactly hold up, but it's still pretty fun. The special effects, which are the strongest elements in the film, are stunning to watch and they really help with the story (which is pretty weak at times). There are plenty of silly moments and some impressive sets and effects shots. The music is also good. However, there are two problems I have with this movie. One is that the kid characters are terribly dull. They was nothing distinctive or interesting about them. The other flaw I find in this movie is that the journeys that the kids take when they're tiny aren't very adventurous. I mean, the adventures aren't very imaginative. It's not really exciting to see this kids wandering around in the grass. It would have been better if they had taken a journey outside of the neighborhood.

Still, HISTK is fun, and it has some swell special effects. It's not a great movie, but it certainly isn't a bad one, either.

Grade: 5/10