Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on August 16, 2001
The story is about an inventor Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) who is trying to perfect his machine which, when working, will shrink matter. The problem is, nothing he does seems to make it work. But somehow, his kids Amy and Nicky (Amy O'Neill and Robert Oliveri), and his next door neighbor's kids, Russell and Ron Thompson (Thomas Wilson Brown and Jared Rushton) are shrunk! Being only a few inches tall, they end up in the garbage bag and are taken outside. They get out but the only way back to the house is through the Szalinski's front yard. They meet up with a friendly ant, a killer scorpion, the danger of being chopped up by a lawnmower, and being drowned by a water sprinkler. Will they make it home so they can be made back to their normal size?
This movie is just GREAT! Even though it's a kids movie, it's great for adults, too. I love to watch this movie with my parents. I especially love Robert Oliveri and Jared Rushton. They did a very good job acting in it. Anybody who wants to enjoy a good movie with the family, watch "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." You won't regret it!
on September 4, 2014
I used to love this movie as a kid, and kind of completely forgot about it until my wife said we should get it for our daughters. I immediately considered that a green-light spend money!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on blu-ray, but that would be more for me anyway. My kids don't care about resolution. Anyway, I settled on the DVD, but I was still excited about watching it again. And with the family.

The very day we got it we popped it in. The kids LOVED it. They thought it was so cool. Especially when the two boys are riding on the bee. There were a lot of cool spots that I didn't even remember.

It was pretty fun watching a good old family movie that wasn't either all or mostly done with computer animation. A cool blast-from-the-past for mom and dad!
on September 13, 2015
Wholesome family entertainment. Not good enough to warrant a second viewing, but you won't leave feeling ashamed that you sat through it.

However, this movie might teach your kids the wrong lessons about workplace safety: why did he have the tip of the shrink gun aimed at the door? If this were a shotgun, would he set it up aimed at the door? And shouldn't there have been a lock on the lab door, in addition to the "Do not enter" sign (which in childese means "Hey, cool stuff inside!")?
on March 31, 2013
this was our first experience using amazon prime to stream. the quality of the movie was not good, skipping, and so far twice no picture and only sound. We have great internet service, 15 Mbps, and have no problems streaming from netflix or other sources. Hopefully this is not indicative of quality of other movies on Amazon prime! (movie itself is great, just amazon streaming not so much!)
on June 18, 2016
My 6 year old daughter loved it. She didn't mind that it looked really 80's. Couple times during the movie she made some funny remarks. The first one regarding the "home phone" with the extra long cord. I don't think she has ever seen a home phone. The second, regarding the record player playing a vinyl... She was wondering what it was.
My wife and I also enjoyed watching it with her. Good times!

If your kid gets easily spoked by movies (scary scene for him/her), skip through the fight between the scorpion and the friendly ant. You won't miss a thing and your little one will thank you.
on December 10, 2009
I have no idea how long ago I watched this on The Disney Channel, and taped it onto a video and watched it umpteen times. Just recently, I was able to afford it on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Inventor Wayne is having trouble with his shrinking machien that seems to blow things up until a neighbor boy hits a bseball through the attic wiindow, which lands in an area where the machine's beam pierces it, and suddenly objects become tiny, including both familes' sons and daughters. Thus begins a wild trek across the backyard encountering huge butterflies, bees, an ant and a scorpion. Both sets of parents fantically search for their children, unaware until later what has happened to them. Now Wayne, who had smashed his shrinking machine before knowing what it had accomplished, now has to put it back together so he can return the children to full size. The four kids try out a number of ways to get home, such as trying to hitch a ride on the family dog. I felt the kids looked very real to me in their tiny size, and found the large-scale objects they were filmed with very convincing. I had great fun watching it and know others will as well.
on January 9, 2007
I have both full-screen (Zone 1) and wide-screen (UK) versions and have found that it(Zone 2) seems to be a fake widescreen. The black bars seem to crop upper and lower parts of the screen, on which left and right sides are not added at all.

Trust me, buy this one...
on May 28, 2016
Such a fun and adventurous movie! And if you think about it, all these special effects (the giant "baby" ant, the tiny kids, etc) were all done without the digital video editing we have today, and it was still a fantastic movie that was well put together. I loved it as a kid, and now all my kids love it too. I'm so glad we can get movies from our own childhood on Amazon. It's a nice way to relax with the family!
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2012
Not sure if the audio problem came from streaming the movie on the internet through Amazon, but it was a huge bummer. It would get really loud during action parts and when dialogue came up, it was barely audible.This movie is fun for the whole family, it has some incredible special effects that for that time were stunners, just know that kids nowadays have seen better cinematographic advances so they might think its cheesy. Anyhow, my kids loved the movie, its funny, quirky, perfect for family night.
on June 17, 2016
I put this on the tablet during our camping trip when it rained. It's old so my kids had never seen or heard of it. My daughter is 5 and son is 11 (but special needs), they LOVED it. Great adventure type movie, humor, action, and kids "gross" stuff that they like. I'm so glad I downloaded it.