Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 20, 2006
not a true representation of the fierceness of a Honey badger (Ratel) in the wild. Even leopards don't mess with them; neither will a lion. Badgers are fierce animals, loyal to their families, and great hunters on their own. Honey is just a treat; a dessert, though it is true a Ratel will work with a Pilot bird to find the honey caches.

That said, this story is based on an African tale and teaches a lesson in sharing. Not only is the coloring and look of an African badger correct, the trees, plants, and other animals are, too. (I know having been to Africa)

So, as a story, moral tale, and example of elaborate illustrations, this book is quite excellent. It's up there with Wind in the Willows, the Foxwood series, Percy the Parkkeeper stories, and many, many more that feature the badger for a juvenile audience.

If you want more accurate information about badgers, there are many other factual books available for children and adults.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2005
Honey...Honey...Lion is this year's perfect book for young animal and nature lovers. Although the animals' interactions are not, of course, accurate, the background habitat is immediately recognizable to those who love this part of Africa. Needless to say, the illustrations are beautifully drawn by the amazing Ms. Brett. The book slowly presents the story, the surroundings, and pictures of the animals involved, then reinforces this new knowledge in reverse order. The names of each animal are then given on a last summary page. The manner of presentation will make the information highly accessible to children of this age, and the story line will appeal to their strong interest in fairness.
on February 24, 2006
The book takes place in Africa. It is a great book because the Honey Guide tricks the badger. The illustrations are beautiful and nice. We like the pictures of the African animals. We also like the clues that Jan Brett gave us on the sides.

Kindergarten Class

New Hampshire Estates, Silver Spring, MD
Not only do I enjoy the story this book offers, I do feel it is one of the best illustrated works out today. The accuracy of the drawings, the details and the general flow are a wonder to the eye. Each time you read this one, you spot something new. Of course the moral of the tale is great as most fold stories are and the author well makes his point. This is one of those books that is a lot of fun to read to your child or to a group of children, discussing the situatuion and discussing the illustrations. As to the fact that the honey badger may not have acted as true to his or her form in the wild, for goodness sakes folks, these creatures, badgers, birds and all don't talk either! This is a story, a delightful story, take it as such. Overall, recommend this one highly.
on August 21, 2014
Although we are Jan Brett fans, we felt this book fell short in terms of storyline. My son became a huge honey badger fan when he learned that they are the only beasts to stand their ground against a lion. You can imagine his disappointment, then, when reading that the honey badger not only did NOT try to fight, but rather got scared and hid in a hole. He never wants me to read this story again! Ha. We did have fun identifying the other animals in the illustrations, though. Just a disappointment from my son's perspective.
on April 21, 2009
This book is amazing. Well, maybe not amazing, but really, really great.

Jan Brett's artwork is fabulous. Full of detail. My kids spend hours looking through her books.

But this story is so fun and has such a great 'surprise' to it. My kids act it out for hours. Even the baby gets into it yelling "honey, honey, honey" as he runs up and down the hall.

Not only do we love to read this book, but we learned about various animals and it sparked a desire to learn more.

*taken from my review at goodreads
on August 9, 2013
The artwork is great, as per usual for Jan Brett. I raise guineas so this was what attracted me to this book, besides having almost all of her other books. The story is simple enough and she obviously got her information correct from the source. It is nice to see how she did research the information presented in the book. I would recommend this to anyone with younger children and those who appreciate art, especially that drawing animal life other than dogs and cats. Very accurate and full of detail.
on January 9, 2008
Yet another delightful and beautiful Jan Brett book. Every classroom that I have shared this book with loves it(PK THRU Second). Very easy to move to a disscussion about sharing and doing the right thing. Not to mention how fasinated with the illustrations each child is. If you like Jan Brett's style, this is another must have for your collection.
on October 8, 2011
My daughter received this as a gift, and LOVES it! I chose to buy this book for a friend's daughter. Great story, love the art!
on January 29, 2016
This is a beautifully illustrated book with a catchy story that will (in my opinion) lead to some interesting discussions for all age groups. For example, in the beginning of the book the question is posed: why did the badger keep the honey all to himself; why didn't he share it with the bird? Could it be because he forgot? Could it be because he thought he was more deserving? Also, was it a good idea for the bird to lead the badger to a lion, even if the badger had been not so nice? Was the lion just angry or was he hungry too?

I love the variety and diversity of animals portrayed and also the richness of sounds throughout the story "CLICKETY CLICK through the papyrus" and "BOOM BOOM over the hollow log" were some of my daughter's favorites. Despite the very obvious foreshadowing in the title, the reader is kept in suspense as the badger traverses through the African landscape behind the honeyguide bird. At the climax the reader is treated to a lift-the-flap surprise (producing squeals of delight from my toddler) I love the book not only because it's a great story, but its one that I haven't gotten tired of despite having to read it many times for my daughter. The illustrations are so rich that you have to go through it many times to take it all in.

I would also recommend getting the CD if you can find it. I got this book (in the paperback form) with the audio CD as a gift. I love the book but I love the audio CD even more; the story is narrated in an animated way with a very catchy soundtrack in the background. I put the CD on in the car when my 11 month old was crying in her carseat and wanted to get out; she was entranced with the storytelling and the pictures (don't worry, I wasn't the one driving so could flip through the pages:)). She's 13 months now and still not tired of it, despite it being played on almost every car trip. Furthermore, she's learned what a lion looks and sounds like and also loves the sounds from book (as mentioned above).

Highly recommended!