Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Price:$92.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 15, 2013
I picked up this thermostat at Lowes. I had expected to pay $150 for Honeywell's touchscreen wifi thermostat or as much as $180 for last year's nest. I was pleasantly surprised to see a wifi thermostat option for around $120.

I got the thing home, took down my old thermostat (which had 4 wires R, G, Y and W) and installed this one. I turned my furnace back on and... nothing. It turns out I didn't have a "c" wire. There were 6 wires coming from the furnace but only 4 of them were used. I removed the cover from my furnace and took a look. Sure enough there was a "C" spot with nothing hooked up to it so I stripped the (unused) blue wire going to my thermostat and connected it to "C", then went back upstairs and hooked up blue to "C". I turned on the furnace and the thermostat woke up. I thought I was done. I was wrong.

I now had to connect to an adhoc network called "new_thermostat_somethingorother" and the only way to force my iPhone to believe it was the real internet was to go into airplane mode before choosing it. I got to the wifi setup page, picked my home wifi ssid and entered my password. I thought I was done. I was wrong.

I went to honeywell's web site, created an account, entered my thermostat's mac address and checksum. I then got a very nice user interface for entering on times and off times. I was impressed. I thought I was done. I was wrong. The thermostat had to download a software update. I grow sick of buying stuff new and the first thing it has to do when it gets on the internet is send me away for up to half an hour while it updates its firmware. When the firmware update was over I thought I was done. I was wrong.

It turns out that in my haste to get this thing on the 'net, I skipped setting the date and apparently it doesn't figure out what day it is over the INTERNET?!? When I turned on the heat, based on the time of day it went to 62 degrees. But it's Saturday, not Monday right? So I called Honeywell tech support and they had me hold UP and FAN for 30 seconds to get into a diagnostic mode. I then had to scroll to page 39 and change the one to a zero (to delete wifi settings). I could now get to a screen to verify my thermostat knew what day it was. Whew. Now I had to go back and program the wifi settings one last time. This was dumb. Just plain dumb. Hopefully Honeywell fixes this in a future software update to allow date and time to be set through the web interface or make it simpler to set on the thermostat without having to forget wifi settings. Dumb.

This was painful. Painful, but mercifully brief. So why do I give this thing 5 stars? Because it works and works well. I don't mind an extra half hour or so of monkeying around and I'm pretty sure I'd have almost as much monkeying around if I paid twice as much for a Nest. Since my thermostat lives in a corner behind a grandfather clock, I cannot believe the nest can "just figure out" when I'm home and I'd rather have a wifi-ready, plain and simple, non-touchscreen thermostat than a Nest, because the Honeywell web site is well laid out and easy to use and there is an iOS app that allows me to get in and change settings from anywhere. Another plus for this thermostat is its shape, I don't have the paint I used in the living room and a small round Nest is going to leave an ugly white square where my old Honeywell manual thermostat used to be for people to see when they walk by the grandfather clock. In short if I bought the Nest, I had to spend up to twice as much AND worrying about matching a paint color from 10 years ago.

I think Honeywell is on the right track with this thing only I say go a little further. Honeywell needs to come up with an even more manual-looking thermostat with only 3 buttons on the thing and have ALL the programming done via wifi. I kept stumbling into programming screens when I was looking for a way to find out what day this thing thought it was. The user interface for this thermostat is just awful. The user interface on the web is great. So why not scrap those extra 4 buttons and give us nothing but up/down and hold? Let us handle the rest over the air. I already own a wonderful touchscreen. It's called an iPhone. I don't need another expensive touchscreen attached to my living room wall.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 10, 2013
This thermstat is outstanding. You can monitor and control the temperature, heat vs cool, and the fan auto vs on from your cell phone from anywhere. Right now there is no monthly charge for this capability.

You must have two-wire 24vac power available at the thermostat location to power the thermostat (R or Rc and a C wire). Most existing thermostats act as a simple switch and only have one hot wire (R or Rc)available. If you don't have the other hot wire "C" available, you will have to run one. The instructions don't tell you the thermostat receives its power through the Rc and C connections--my heating and A/C systems are separate systems, so I had to modify the wiring to get everything to work--it would have been very helpful to know Rc is used for power and not R.

Once I figured out how to make it work for my system, it worked great for three days. Twelve hours after I left on vacation, the thermostat wifi failed. When I got back from vacation, I determined that my home network was working fine and the thermostat wifi was the problem. Honeywell phone support was very good--I did not have to wait to talk to someone and the guy had me reset and try to reconnect it to the network. He quickly determined that I needed to take it back to Lowe's and get a replacement. I had no problem exchanging it at Lowe's and the replacement thermostat has been working great for two weeks now.

The wifi connection goes through a third party website and there is no charge for the service; however, the user agreement states that they can charge for the service in the future. If they start charging, knock off a couple stars.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2013
I am NOT even close to the home improvement type. So if things go south I'm in trouble. I looked over the Honeywell box and Honeywell wisely stated your HVAC wiring to the thermostat MUST have a "C wire" or the new thermostat would not receive power and would not function. So being the cautious person I am I asked three wandering separate Home Depot guys "If there was anyway I could "tell" if I had a C wire. The first guy said, "oh if you have AC you have to have a C wire." I continued reading the box and another walked by and asked if I needed help. I asked him the same question. He said, "If your home is new you definitely have one". I then asked #3 and he said, "you should". And then gave me the "you could always return it".

So I took the shot and bought it. I followed the directions carefully. I saw plenty of wires going to the existing thermostat so I assumed I was safe as I saw more than 4. I disconnected the old thermostat and began to affix Honeywell's supplied wire stickers -with a lot of different letters in the alphabet that matched all the letters on the existing and figured I was safe and this would be a simple "swap out". Well guess what? My new, state of the art home had everything but a C wire. Nervousness sets in. I rip through the quick setup guide and read about "alternative wiring options for those without C wires. It was a very nicely done YouTube video that tells me I will have to use the "G" wire in place of the missing "C" wire. And by doing that I would lose the ability to only run the fan manually. No biggie. Then the video sends me down to the furnace to do the same G to C move on the main panel and then jump the "Y" to "C" with an 18 gauge wire. Yeah I have tons of those laying around my house. Now panic begins to set in. Putting the old thermostat back or worse having no heat in Northern Utah over night in end of Winter or worse, having to call an H VAC guy on a Sunday for "after hours" home service that "costs the same" while I listened to a lecture about not being trained to do this and getting a $300.00 bill did not appeal to me. To finish this long story my neighbor is an electrician. He speaks mostly Spanish but after reading the Spanish enclosed instructions and watching the YouTube video like 4 time he got it to work.

Otherwise an excellent WiFi thermostat system -which I can do and fully understand. It will help a good deal while I am traveling. I am an empty nester. So word from the now wiser, if you aren't comfortable with this stuff leave it to those that are.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2013
I am really pleased with the function of this thermostat, but there were a few problems that had to be worked through before it functioned perfectly.

First, you need to know if you have a "c wire." Before buying a new thermostat, you should remove your old thermostat and inspect your wires to see if you have a "c wire." Our old thermostat did not use a c wire, but there was an unused wire wrapped around the wire bundle. We unwrapped the wire and labeled it "c" as stated in the alternate wiring video on the Honeywell website. Our heating and cooling system's terminal block already had a wire in the "c" position, so we just added the new c wire so that both wires were connected and it has worked fine.

Second, check the security settings on your wireless router. This thermostat does not function properly with mixed security mode (WPA/WPA2). If you experience intermittent connectivity problems, switch to WPA2-only mode.

When we purchased the thermostat we were using a router that used WEP security, and we had no problems using the thermostat's wifi. About three weeks after we bought it we changed internet service. To change the settings on the thermostat, you have to press up and fan for three seconds to get into the menu. Then you have to go to setting 39 and change it to 0 in order to set up the new wifi. Be careful in the menu settings. While trying to deal with the intermittent wifi issues, I accidentally changed the system type to Heat Pump. That caused the heater to come on at the same time as the AC and then a fuse blew on the circuit board. So we didn't have AC for a day. In July. In Texas. Honeywell does not make the menus user friendly, so make sure you are looking at your user manual and you have all of the numbers set correctly anytime you access the menus.

Once we set up the wifi for the new router, it worked for several hours, but then it would no longer connect with our PC or iphone app. This went on for several days. It would lose connectivity, then I would enter the menus to turn off wifi and then turn it on again to get it to connect to the internet. A few hours later the wifi would disconnect again. Then I called Honeywell. As I was explaining the problem, I was trying to explain what solutions I had already tried, when "Daniel" interrupted me with "NO NO NO, don't do that." It was apparent that he did not understand what solutions actually work (at least temporarily) with this problem. I told him that I had already tried the solution he offered several times. Then he told me that the problem was my new router. He said I should replace it. The router works perfectly with 12 other wireless devices. I was sure he was wrong. He was. I then googled "intermittent connectivity wifi thermostat." I got a hit on the Nest website. Here's what Nest says, "In some rare cases, Nest can experience intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity if the security on your Wi-Fi router is set to a mixed security mode (WPA/WPA2). Refer to your Wi-Fi router documentation to learn how to update your security to WPA2-only mode. Once the security has been updated on your Wi-Fi router, reconnect Nest to your home network." Nest was spot on. I changed to WPA2-only mode on my router and my thermostat has worked perfectly ever since. Honeywell doesn't know the solution to this problem, but Nest does.

After finding solutions to the problems I encountered I am overall pleased with thermostat. It is far less expensive than the Nest, but I'm sure Nest must have better customer service. I hope you learn from my mistakes and don't experience the same issues.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2013
I purchased a RTH6580WF from Homedepot in Feb. The first problem I had was the wifi disconnecting within a couple of hours. This repeated and the router had to be re-booted to re-establish connection each time. Honeywell tech support was of little help, first telling me I had a weak signal and needed a wireless booster. I have been using wireless devices within 2 feet of that exact spot (and further from the router) for years without any problems. My laptops, iphone, ipad, & smart tv wireless all work fine. Honeywell tech support then said my Linksys wireless router was too old and needed to be replaced with a new router. Because I wanted the thermostat to work, I did replace my Linksys WRT54gs with a new Netgear router and the disconnect problems did go away.

Next problem was the temperature control. After sensing an obvious temperature fluctuation with each furnace cycle, I started checking with a fluke meter/thermocouple module with type K thermocouple, and also verifying with the 20 year old White-Rodgers programmable thermostat I was replacing. The Fluke and the old thermostat always matched within 1 degree. According to those devices, the RTH6580WF always displayed 3 to 5 degrees high. Further, during each furnace cycle, the RTH6580WF would remain steady or possibly show a 1 degree change while the other two always showed a 3 degree change. I had the sensitivity set to the most sensitive for a newer energy efficient house with 90+% efficient furnace which I have. I contacted Honeywell support and was told there was no adjustment or calibration for this. I re-installed my 20 year old White-Rodgers and verified that the actual temperature fluctuation during each furnace cycle was less than 1 degree. At this point, I returned the thermostat and exchanged it for another. The second thermostat was possibly 1 degree better than the first, but still was off by 2 to 4 degrees. I do not consider a 4 to 5 degree temperature error acceptable and I returned the second.

I missed the fine print about possibly being charged for the wireless access in the future. Had I been aware of that, I would have declined the terms and returned the thermostat for that reason alone. Something about not knowing the actual cost of a product when you purchase it does not sit well with me.

My final complaint was that the screen lighting and contrast is rather dim making it more difficult to read compared to the screens on other manufacturers thermostats that are available today (ie White-Rodgers blue screen thermostats). I would have also expected that as long as the RTH6580WF required the common for get the 24vac power that they would have provided an option to have the backlit screen stay on so that you do not have to touch it to turn the light on.

I really like the idea of a wireless thermostat, but it has to control temperature better than the two I tried. I also do not wish to let myself get trapped into having to pay some unknown future cost to use someone's proprietary interface system.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2014
I installed three Honeywell (RTH6580WF) WiFi thermostats in my ski house (in Tahoe) and one at home. I'm very happy. Honeywell makes fancier touchscreen models but touchscreen control is completely useless overkill to me because it's so easy (and so much easier) to program and control the thermostat(s) from a web browser or smartphone app. Heck, the only buttons that I use (and only occasionally) are the up/down arrows for a temporary temperature adjustment and the "hold" button for when I leave the vacation house. Most of the time (by far) I control the thermostat from my smartphone or PC/Mac/tablet web browser.

The Amazon photo shows the unit lit up with an ugly bright-green screen, but normally the screen isn't lit up and is a nice, innocuous, moss-green.

I did a lot of research into the various brands of WiFi thermostats on the market and I found the Honeywell units to be the best-- especially in price-performance and reliability. I'd recommend avoiding the trendy "Nest" thermostats because (especially for cold-weather regions) the Nests have had home-damaging (pipe-freezing/bursting) reliability problems. (The Nest was designed by ex-Apple engineers, not HVAC engineers. Honeywell as been making thermostats since 1905.) Also, the Nest tries to predict your heating needs which is typically impossible for a vacation home and mostly worthless otherwise. (If you maintain a regular schedule, then program a 7-day-programmable thermostat (like the Honeywell RTH6580WF). If you have an unpredictable schedule, then the Nest can't predict it either-- though it typically screws up by trying to be too clever. Many Nest owners turn off that prediction-mode despite paying twice as much for that signature feature.)

Things I love about the Honeywell thermostats:
* You can save money and the environment by putting the thermostats in vacation mode (e.g. 50 degrees in the winter or 85 degrees in the summer), and remotely warm/cool the house before you arrive.
* No subscription fees.
* No need for a gateway hub and therefore no need to get locked into one brand of home automation equipment.
* VERY easily programmable and controllable from Honeywell's (free) iPhone/Android apps or any web browser from anywhere in the world-- even your couch.
* Easy to install, if you follow the instruction manual.
* Each thermostat has a unique ID number, so you can assign multiple thermostats to your account (and name them things like "Living Room"), and you can even create multiple "houses" (optionally with different passwords).
* You can optionally set up email/text alerts in case the temperature exceeds your desired min/max criteria and/or if the thermostat loses touch with the Internet. (Alerts are sent from Honeywell's web servers.)
* If your WiFi router fails, the thermostats keep working according to plan (i.e. whatever mode they were in when the WiFi went down) and they automatically reconnect to the WiFi network when it becomes available.
* If the house's power temporarily goes down, the thermostats wake up afterwards, automatically reconnect to the WiFi network, and automatically resume working in whatever mode they were in when the power went down.
* You can remotely check the temperature & heat setting to make sure that you, your housemates, or renters didn't screw up.
* It lights up (without changing anything) when you FIRST touch any button so that you can see it (without changing anything) in the dark. Subsequent button pushes change the settings.

There is one potential catch to installing any brand of WiFi thermostat. WiFi is too power hungry to run on batteries, so all WiFi thermostats need to get power from the industry-standard 24-volt AC power that furnaces supply. However, many older houses only have 2 wires going to the thermostat and so there is not a third "C" ("common") wire needed to carry the 24V AC from the furnace to the thermostat. That was the case at my home and my vacation (ski) home. If you don't have a volt-ohm meter to measure the voltage of your thermostat's wiring, there are some easy ways to determine if you have a "C" wire.
* If your thermostat requires batteries and stops working when the batteries are removed, then there is probably no "C" wire. If there are no batteries or it keeps working when the batteries are removed, then there is a "C" wire.
* If you pop the front cover off of your thermostat you'll see some wires from the wall attached to it. (Or depending on your thermostat model, if you pop the thermostat off its wall mount, you'll see wires attached to the wall mount.) Is there a wire connected to the "C" terminal? If so, it's easy to swap.
* Even if there's not a wire connected to the "C" terminal, are there any unused wires in the wiring bundle that pops out of the wall? If so, then an unused wire could possibly be attached to the "C" terminals of the furnace and the thermostat.

Even if there isn't a "C" wire available, (just red "R" & white "W" wires) you can add a "C" wire by adding a 24V AC plug-in, screw-on transformer (like the MGT-2440) to a nearby electrical outlet or by adding a small 24V AC transformer (like the Veris X020AAA) hidden behind a nearby light switch--possibly even concealing (fishing) the wires behind the wall if you want a nicer appearance. That's what I had to do at my vacation house. At my single-story home I ran an extra wire from the thermostat to the "C" terminal of the nearby furnace.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2015
[See update at bottom] I have three of the color touch screen Honeywells at one location (four zones but I only need to monitor three) and one of this more economical model (RTH6580WF) at a different location.

I was not going to write a review until I read one of the very long negative reviews touting Nest. Basically, that reviewer either cannot read the manual or is trolling for Nest . . . almost none of the claims are true.

My three color screen units have worked flawlessly for a full year. I control them from my Galaxy S5 or my iPad. It is faster and easier than using a PC to access the system or walking to the individual thermostats. When the Internet goes down, these units reconnect within 30 seconds and you are back online. Remote access is a great comfort to me when i travel and the technology fully controls my multi-stage high-efficiency HVAC systems. If you live in a cold climate, you will appreciate the adaptive technology. It only takes a few days for it to learn to hit the exact temperature at the time you tell the thermostat you want it.

There are a few features I would add to this low price Wi-Fi thermostat but it is half the price of the top-line units and gives 90% of the functionality.

Some of the other "problems" I see here are due to the fact that many of us are not wireless experts or may not know how to get 24 VAC to terminal 'C'. Honeywell has a suite of functionality algorithms and video guides to address most of the problems you are likely to have and great tech support if the videos still leave you scratching your head.

My one recommendation to every person having trouble is "Read the entire manual first." The number of variations in HVAC systems is too great to make this Plug & Play, at least with today's technology. By the way, Nest is no better and it a *lot* more expensive. Their pricing model is based on selling aesthetic mystery. Honeywell is the nation's oldest temperature regulation company and by far the best.

UPDATE ON LOADING SCHEDULE REMOTELY (02/06/15): I am adding this update because some of us have been trying to help each other solve the schedule uploading problem and the most frequent solution I am seeing here did not work for me.

Tech Support came up with a different solution that works quickly and does not involve erasing and reconfiguring the wireless configuration. Try this first if you cannot see the "Schedule" function via remote access:

1. Enter the System Setup function (hold Fan and the Up Arrow simultaneously).
2. Tap 'Next' until you get to Function 16 (Schedule Options).
3. Set Schedule to '0' (Scheduling Off).
4. Hit 'Done' and exit the System Setup function.
5. Wait a full four minutes (I tried three minutes the first time and it did not work).
6. Enter the System Setup function again and set Function 16 back to '1'.
7. Exit the System Setup function and wait several minutes.
8. Pull up your browser or smart phone app and you should see your schedule now.

Good luck and thanks to the Honeywell tech support team that experimented until they figured out an easy way.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2014
I had a minor problem with A/C wiring. Honeywell customer service was great with this. I had no problems with linking up the wifi, connecting with the internet or using the iPhone or iPad apps. The problem I had was keeping the wifi linked up. The wifi would drop off line and go back on line intermittently. It was very random and very annoying. Several calls to customer service yielded no results. I have an AT&T U-verse with a 2wire wifi router. I made several calls to ATT customer service and I still had the problem. I made one more call to Honeywell and this technician finally figured out the problem. The thermostat will not communicate properly with the wifi security setting WPA-PSK. I had my router set to WAP-PSK and WPA2-PSK. I switched the router to WPA2-PSK and haven't had any problem since. Now, it's VERY convenient and useful. I'm very happy even though it took quite an effort to figure the wifi issue out.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2013
I bought this t-stat for our cabin after having a burst pipe and flooding issue because of the t-stat we had. I watched all of the video installation guides and went on a help forum so I knew what I was doing before starting the process. The installation was fairly easy once I ran the new t-stat wire. Setting up the wifi was a nightmare for me. Everything was fine as I walked through the steps but when I got to the point of connecting to the wifi via the thermostat it would come up with an error message E02 (wrong password). I entered the password correctly each time and tried probably 10 times with both my computer and smart phone. Finally I called support at honeywell. I had a very difficult time understanding what the person was saying because of the accent and after a half an hour of getting know where, decided to call my internet provider. Another half an hour an no closer to finding out what was wrong. Called honeywell again and got a different person this time, with no accent, and in 5 minutes had it figured out. I had to remove my password from my home wifi, disconnect both the home wifi and thermostat and reconnect. SUCCESS!!!

The t-stat is awesome and the iphone app is great. I can change temps whenever I want and get updates if things are amiss! I am giving this t-stat 5 stars because it does everything I want and it should actually be very easy to set-up. I am not sure why two different support personal at Honeywell can have two totally different answers. One who can fix the problem in very short order and one who has no idea what is wrong. I'm not going to take off stars for the support problems at Honeywell.

This is the first day of operation for the thermostat. If something changes and goes wrong I will update!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2013
Installation is pretty easy, as long as you have a "C" wire. This provides 24VAC to power the thermostat. I did 3 installations today . . . 1 hour (sorting out heat pump wiring differences), 20 minutes, and 15 minutes respectively.

The WiFi connection is very easy.
- When you first power the thermostat on, it creates its own WiFi network.
- You use a PC, laptop, or tablet (Kindle Fire in my case) browser to connect (192.168.1.1) to the thermostat.
- The thermostat then scans for other wireless networks, and shows you a list.
- You select your home network from that list and give the thermostat the password.

The thermostat then connects to your home network and "calls home" to the control website. Once it connects, it tells you to register the thermostat on the web site. You disconnect from the thermostat and then use the browser on any internet-connected computer device to complete the registration on the control website.

The website was fully functional for me using the Kindle Fire and any PC or laptop, so no "app" is necessary. I have not yet connected the thermostats to a smartphone.

In addition to monitoring and controlling the thermostats, you can now also program them using your browser. My programs are currently set for min and max temps when the house is unoccupied, allowing occupants to set temps as they please by placing the thermostats on "Hold". YMMV.

NOTE TO HEAT PUMP USERS:
There was some question about how the thermostat controls auxilliary heat. The question is raised in another review here, and frankly I saw similar problems myself.

Ideally, the aux heat electric strips should only be turned on when necessary. Some thermostats do not turn on aux heat until a 2-degree rise is necessary. This thermostat operates differently.

Near as I can tell after one day of use . . . the thermostat turns the heat pump on when the temperature is still at the set point shown on the thermostat . . . as if it has seen the temperature fall from , eg, 70.1 to 69.9 . . . both of which might show as "70" on the thermostat. If the temperature falls 1 degree below the set point, the thermostat turns on the auxilliary heat as reported in the other review.

At the moment I don't see this as an issue. Time will tell, and if it is an issue I will come back and note it in this review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...