Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Honeywell 5105 Low Profile Steel Security Safe, 1.0 Cubic Feet
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 8, 2014
I got mine from COSTCO, free shipping. It's a lot more robust than I imagined and very spacious inside. I was looking all over for a decent safe I could keep in my cabinet/closet. I really like the Fort Knox CAB, but didn't like the simplex buttons. I'm not a fan of the biometric as there are too many moving parts. The Honeywell 5105 is a bigger version of the hotel safes you see and it did the job for me.

PROS:
-It is heavy and thick enough gauge to be a decent gun safe (my purpose).
-There is no flex at all..very sturdy. Quite possible stack them on top to increase your safe size.
-Very spacious on the inside, 14(D) X 19(W) X 6.5(H) - internal dimensions. Be aware though the initial opening at the front is 16 X 6.
-It can easily accommodate 4 guns in their own plastic cases and room enough for ammo, mags, knives.
-It comes with anchor bolts. I anchored mine to the wall. There are four pre-cut holes on the back (diamond configuration) and three on the floor. I used plastic anchors in the wall and then bolted from the inside.
-The master keys are solid. (Do not place these inside the safe)
-You can turn the "beeps" and numbers OFF (or vice versa). You can set codes from 3-6 numbers.
-There is NO RESET button on the inside..nothing to slim-jim to manually reset anything. If you enter the code incorrectly 3 times, the safe will shutdown for 5 minutes each time.

CONS:
-Seems to forget the current code..happened twice now! I swapped out the cheapo batteries with some fresh Duracells..I'll update to see if that was the problem.
-The battery compartment door is hard to open. (I accidently snapped the locking tab on mine..just rigged it with same tape for the time being). The arrow indicates to push in that direction, but the door would not release. BE GENTLE (not like a caveman..me)
-The upper left corner of the door and the safe was rubbing/stuck. Hopefully overtime it will break loose, but needed some pulling pressure to break free.
** Be carefully using the same code to lock the safe. It is designed to lock with any "new" combination EVERY TIME. I don't agree with this process as if you accidently lock it with the wrong code and don't realize it, you will not be able to open it - you will have to do the override master-key function AGAIN.
-I wish the handle/security code open handle was metal and not plastic.

There seems there are 2 version..the 5105 and 5105DS. The one I got was the 5105DS (COSTCO). The 5105DS says it's 1.1 cubic feet and the 5105 is 1.0 cubic feet..I think this is a typo as they both weight the same and same dimensions. The one I have has the red Honeywell emblem on the upper right corner, the one on this page has the bigger Honeywell emblem in the upper right hand corner. They look the same to me.. The 5105DS has a 1-star review here, but mine came with everything as advertised. I would venture out to say the 5105DS is the "newer" version..?

I highly recommend this safe if you are looking for decent guns safe from the kids and general overall simple security. It is hefty and does the job.
on July 11, 2013
What a great item!!! I was in no rush to buy a safe so I had all the time to research, read reviews etc., etc., etc. Considered Barskas, Vikings, Sentries, Gunvaults, Stack-ons, First Alerts and others. I decided that thumbprint technology can be unreliable, not to mention that being older, it might not work for me for too long. Was also not in the mood to "program" 20 scans of each finger just to get it right. Rotary locks seemed to taked too long to open during crisis situations. Fireproof vaults can retain moisture and cause rusting. Then of course there's the price thing.....did not want to pay more than I needed to. This safe fits the bill. Staightforward, no motion detectors or unnecessary doodads. Metal is thick enough...no flexing. Big enough. Beeps and combinations can be suppressed as needed. Finish and alignment seems as perfect as can be. Made in the USA! Bought from a third party seller (Trendology) with no drama (nor tax or shipping)....received item 5 days early, well packed, at the best price on and off Amazon. I highly recommend it.
on April 19, 2013
So I just received this safe yesterday and took it out of the box. Unfortunately, the safe was locked (the directions clearly stated that it should have been unlocked), and the factory code will not unlock it. I used the back up key to unlock it but cannot get the keypad to program. I called the company and the safe specialist was unavailable and has to call me back...To be continued

Update: I hadn't heard back yet from the company but decided to play around with it a bit to fix it. I tried holding the key in the open position and holding "clear" to reset the code, and it worked. Now I have successfully reset the code and am happy with my purchase so far.
on March 15, 2013
I purchased this to hold some valuables and a handgun. Keep in mind that safes like this are a deterrent - they will not keep out a determined thief. I have this hidden under a large printer stand, being secured with this cable lock Master Lock 8419DPF Python Adjustable Locking Cable, Braided Steel, Yellow and Black Contractor Color, 6-Feet x 5/16-Inch. It should be enough of a PITA to keep out all but the most determined crooks.

The red display above the buttons shows the numbers being pushed - which can be a big help in the dark. You choose a code between 3-6 digits. You can also choose not to display the numbers by depressing the CLEAR button prior to entering the digits. The manual does not state this - but the CLEAR button is also used to turn the beeps on and off. A bit tricky - but press the CLEAR button 2x and it will show BP-ON or BP-OFF.

I like the raised floor - which gets rid of the sharp overhang around the door found in many other safes which tends to snag and scratch the contents when lifting them out. This feature provides a nice level floor from the opening all the way to the back. The interior has a thin carpet that provides padding and protection. I added a magnetic, battery powered LED motion light which comes on when the safe is opened - lighting up the interior.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the quality and functionality of the safe. It meets my needs to deter and keep out curious hands.
on April 17, 2012
I was looking for a steel security box for keeping items away from children and securely locked.
This steel security safe was exactly what I needed and for the right price.
The electronic lock can be programmed to either display or hide the code.
The construction and build quality seems to be very good.
I am very happy with the purchase.
on April 9, 2016
The 8, 9 and 0 keys stopped working in less than one month. Exchanging for another of the same model. Otherwise it's nice and heavy duty and I like it. Hopefully mine was just defective.

6/11/2016 Update
Traded it in and the new one they sent me doesn't lock with the keypad. It can only be locked with the key. I left my rating as 2/5 because it's still usable.
on January 14, 2014
This is pretty well made for the price, mostly steel construction, plastic face plate is reasonably solid, but won't stop a really determined thief. Having said that, behind the face plate is a solid steel plate that houses the electronics and locks so they won't get your stuff.

Works just like a hotel safe where you set the code each time you close it, rather than set it just once. So remember what you set it to each time!

I have a problem when it arrived, but customer support was so helpful I gave it five stars anyways. My problem was that the display had the characters "NANUAL" which given the limited character set I assume it meant MANUAL. The issue was that somehow the locking mechanism had got out of alignment so I was sent the following steps to fix it within 5 mins of my call.

1. Locate the three screws on the back part of the door on your safe. They should be located on the top left, bottom left, and one right in between the bolts. Use your Philips screw driver to remove those screws. The back part of the casing should come off. Just remove it but DO NOT detach the wire.

2. Manually adjust the solenoid pin on the top and rotate it to make it look like a reverse L. The bolts should stick out once your done adjusting the solenoid pin.

3. From there reinsert the key and turn it to the right. Press and hold the clear button for 3 seconds. Once done please turn the key back to the left and remove it from the key lock.

The rest is as per the manual.
on December 4, 2015
Bought this to mount in our motorhome. Others were took bulky, too expensive, or just not big enough. Looked at similar ones at the RV center and for twice the price they didn't perform as well. I was able to mount this in a closet without much problem but recommend that if mounting on surface that is thin (1/8" plywood) you use a wood spacer on the bottom when installing. I had to take the safe out and add 3 wooden blocks of 3/4" wood to prevent the plywood from deforming when tightening the screws.

Love the open feature. No problems as noted in other reviews. Instructions were simple to follow. We will be taking this with us to our next motorhome. Very roomy. You could put several jewelry cases in this safe and have room for paperwork.

Highly recommend. Low profile works well too.
on March 22, 2015
It fits laptops, tablets and other valuables that we want to leave in the minivan. I use a hardened (and expensive) bike chain and lock to secure it to the body of the van. Could someone get into this with power tools? Yes, but there is little chance of that happening in the locations we would use this - mostly grab and run types of theft is what is we worry about. We had to drill additional holes in the back to attach the lock. The lock's rectangular "handle" comes completely off, and we stick the two prongs of that through the chain, and then through two holes drilled in the back. The lock body attaches to the two stems on the inside of the safe, so thieves can't pick the lock. Need to pad the inside with foam if you will be driving with fragile equipment inside it.
on February 10, 2014
I purchased for our daughter while living in the dorms at University. We bought it to keep her highly desirable prescription drugs under lock and key, but she used it for everything of value, Her laptop, purse, camera and all fit nicely. I anchored it with the four holes through the back in a closet up on a shelf where it would be very difficult to rip out, if you could get it out. But it is not light weight, and a student would look funny carrying it out the dorms with cameras. Surely, they would get caught.