5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Just what I needed to replace my old ones.
Published 6 months ago by Kim

1.0 out of 5 stars 3rd part product- flimsy in comparison to original
Though I'd save money and buy these. They are about half as thick as the original charcoal prefilter, so I doubt they will do as an effective job or last as long as the originals.
Published on March 8, 2008 by Brian Whistler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars 3rd part product- flimsy in comparison to original, March 8, 2008
Brian Whistler (Forestville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Honeywell/Enviracaire Prefilters #34002 (2 per pack) (Kitchen)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised, January 3, 2009
W. Kerr (Kentwood, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Confirmed observation by previous reviewer - not the same as a Honeywell-branded filter - about half as thick. Advertising a little misleading which does imply a "Honeywell/Enviracaire" prefilter. I am anticipating my HEPA filter will now clog more quickly unless I replace these about twice as often as I'm used to. The ad should not say "Honeywell" in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs more activated carbon, generic or not, October 20, 2010
These generic brand(s) have the same in thickness as the available Honeywell version. Honeywell has changed to a "Universal Replacement" version for all it's prefilters, and yes, they are (all) not as thick as they once were. I have recently used both Honewell and other manufacturer's versions of this product, results seem the same for any maker. Thickness may not be the issue, read on to see why.

The key seems to be the activated carbon component or lack thereof. Some of these prefilters seem almost non-effective to the point I've considered they might be just sprayed/colored black, and could be lacking (or highly under utilizing) any activated carbon. I am concerned about quality control here. The original filters were, at first, terrific, giving a thrilling improvement in my breathing. However, this result dissipated quickly, I suspect because of the surface area of the activated carbon being "used up" in having done it's job.

The "Universal Replacement" prefilters are less thick than the original prefilters, but increased thickness may not be the solution. I have tried doubling them. After a point, a certain thickness of the mesh prefilters is sufficient to collect particulates (dust, pollen, lint etc). The prefilter stops larger stuff, the inner, HEPA filter takes out smaller (specs say to .03 microns). But the porosity of the mesh prefilter must be balanced to let air come in while allowing an efficient quantity of air to come into contact with the activated carbon surface. Once the carbon is "used up" it is no longer effective. At that point the machine may still be filtering particulates, but no longer effects VOC's and other things for which the activated carbon is useful.

My solution is to change these prefilters very, very frequently (twice a week!). The prefilters have 2 jobs, but they cease to be usfull as active carbon components long before they stop being useful as larger particulate filters. It's fairly easy to feel the results. New prefilter = better breathing. I have reduced household contaminants/exposure. It's unlikely that there is an unusual out-gassing problem in my home. I have had similar difficulties at multiple venues.

To clean the air, the air must contact the carbon (this is why the noisy fans, an entire review issue in itself, are be necessary). I'm now researching units containing much larger amounts of activated carbon (like Austin Air HealthMate). My concern is the surface area of the activated carbon. Despite having 17 pounds of carbon in them, once the surface area of the carbon becomes coated with the contaminantes it removes, new air just passes over. Will I need to have a truckload of the carbon beads/rocks in the garage? Could a stirring mechanism/some way to clean/recycle the carbon beads be added? I'd love constructive responses.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!! Not the same as a Honeywell-branded filter and not as advertised., April 1, 2014
Not the same as a Honeywell-branded filter
Why are these filters so thin compared to the ones that I used to buy and where are the Velcro fasteners that are shown in the picture?
I'll give them a try but will order elsewhere from now on.
I am concerned that that the lifespan of the expensive inner filter will be compromised by these junky looking things.

Once again I wonder why Amazon even carries this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, June 28, 2014
It seems to be working just as I would have expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 27, 2014
Just what I needed to replace my old ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow to deliver will not order again from amazon ,no tracking or estimated delivery, November 18, 2013
Took 2 1/2 weeks to show up was missing velcro strips
was the correct item , very unhappy, wont do this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 21, 2014
Pre-filter exactly as previously purchased but at much better price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as thick as the original, need to change more often, May 22, 2013
Just received in mail. Installation was very easy. Since this filter media was noticeably thinner than the original I did not even have to cut it to fit (it overlapped about 7inches, which I directed toward the wall our filter sits next to). I wrapped the hepa filter snuggly and used the plastic clips to hold the end in place. We have an old enviracaire 63500. I cleaned the outer shell and installed the new outer filter; Everything fit like a charm.

Our air quality noticeably improved immediately upon installing this filter. These filters are carbon treated and made the air seem "alpine" fresh. Having just installed it I do not yet know how long this filter will last.

Our HEPA filter has three settings, low, medium and high. The unit runs quite loud even on the low setting. We run our filter continously every day, turn it up to high at night, and only turn it off when we have company. I am planning on replacing the this newly installed filter in 60 days at which time I will assess its longevity. Ours is a harsh environment since the laudry room is a closet adjoining the room (LOT OF FINE LINT). If I get 60 days out of this filter I will be satisfied. If I am able to get longer life out these, even better.

Thus far I heartily recommend this filter as an economical replacement for an Enviracaire prefilter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 7, 2014
good product for dust free and clean air, helps with my COPD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›