Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

VINE VOICEon January 9, 2008
I have other ionic air cleaners, as well as one that requires a filter. This air purifier is quiet and due to its compact size, can be placed off the floor on a bookcase, dresser top or top shelf which makes it optimal for space-saving and placement. I don't particularly like the noise from air filters and they have a tendency to keep me up.

After spending many dollars on replacement filters and new air cleaners when the filter is no longer made or easily available, this is a welcome addition with a permanent cleanable filter. I bought two of these, one for my bedroom and one for the living room. Set on low all of the time, it is great as it just sounds like a little white noise and is not noticable most of the time. The optional ionic on and off switch, night light, as well as the automated light indicating that the filter should be cleaned is a BONUS besides the low price. So far, I am enjoying cleaner air in an old dusty house with 3 cats and 2 dogs...

I have bought the Sharper Image ionic breeze for the bathroom and find it hard to clean and hope that when I have to clean this filter. Good value for the money.
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2008
This is my 2nd air purifier - the other was a comparable model by Holmes. I learned from my first air purifier that you really have to leave it on all the time or the revolving motor will collect dust, not work as well or as quietly. If I don't want it on constantly, I just put a clean towel over the top to prevent any dust/dirt from building up.

The noise level is acceptable to me, in an 8x10 room. I usually leave it on LOW, which sounds a bit like a fan on low speed, but MED is good too - it has a nice white noise effect. I only put it on HIGH if there's a bad smell or lots of dust floating around (for whatever reason). HIGH is a bit loud for my taste. This machine tends to rattle a bit as it sits on my bureau, but a small towel underneath it took care of that problem. Also, give it time to warm up when you put it on. It starts off slowly, but works at full speed within a few minutes.

I have allergies and noticed a difference immediately when I got this model. My symptoms have improved greatly, even with 3 cats in the house. I would recommend it to anyone who has a small space, doesn't want to buy new filters and is perhaps on a budget. Good machine at a decent price.
on February 24, 2009
When I first purchased this product I was excited at the thought of filtering dust, allergens and other contaminants from the air in my room. It tends to accumulate dust quickly so I bought this air purifier in hopes of alleviating the problem a bit.

For the first six months the purifier worked very effectively. I ran it 24 hours a day nonstop as recommended (if I ever had to turn it off for any reason I covered the exhaust vent with a microfiber cloth so as to not let dust seep into the unit). I set the fan speed to high when I left home, medium when I was home and low when I slept. I cleaned both the outer filter and inner HEPA filter several times a week. Dust would cluster into a lint-like texture and accumulate very quickly on the outer filter; this prevented a significant amount of dust from even making it through to the inner HEPA filter. I noticed somewhat of an improvement in the air quality of my room (11.5 ft. x 8 ft.) during this time span.

After about six months, the air being exhausted from the purifier started to smell strange. It's hard to describe the smell, but the best way I can put it is being a "dusty" smell; this description makes sense in context because the interior mechanical components of the purifier were now caked in dust (explained two paragraphs down).

The product listing claims that the HEPA filter never needs to be replaced, but I cannot believe this to be true. It either needs to be replaced after a period of time, or it is not as effective as it should be to begin with. When I first purchased the purifier, the filter was white; it is now a deep charcoal grey, although this is not unexpected. Perhaps this isn't the best comparison to make as they are constructed of different materials, but air filters for many other devices need to be replaced after a period of time (automobile engine, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner, etc.). Cleaning them will extend their lifespan, but repeated cleaning will only work for so long. That seems to be the case with the filter for this air purifier as well. As I said mentioned earlier, I cleaned both filters regularly and did not allow too thick a layer of dust to build up.

I read another customer review mentioning that their purifier became filled with dust and grime over time, and this is exactly what happened with mine. Looking down the exhaust vent I could see dust covering the interior surfaces, both on the purifier housing and the mechanical components. I tried blasting the dust out with compressed air, but even 185 PSI of air pressure would not move it. It had become caked down to all surfaces and had a grime-like appearance.

After opening the purifier to have a better look at things (it is held together by hex security screws) it was confirmed that every internal surface was covered in caked dust. This explained the "dusty" smell that the purifier was emitting. I unscrewed and pulled several components out (fans, motor) to get better access to every surface. Everything is very cramped inside of the purifier, and it's difficult to reach all surfaces, but I scrubbed out the majority of the dust using isopropyl alcohol. After reassembling the unit I ran it again--while the smell was less noticeable from a distance it did not completely go away.

I am unsure of whether the HEPA filter was letting contaminants get through the entire time, or if it eventually let them get through as it became less effective. The bottom line is that the purifier seemed to be working great in the beginning, but after six months it began to make my air quality worse.

Edit (March 3, 2011):

I bought another unit several months ago. When the first purifier functioned properly it worked wonderfully, so I wanted to give it another go. I thought perhaps I'd have better luck if I were to clean the filters even more frequently than I had already been doing, which was multiple times per week. This time I cleaned them almost every night. Sadly, and strangely, this purifier began emitting the same funny smell as my first one, but after an even shorter period of time.

I opened up the unit and saw that the interior had been caked in dust in the same manner as my first purifier. This time I was even more thorough with the isopropyl alcohol cleaning. I removed every internal component and took them completely apart in order to be able to get almost 100% of the dust cleaned out. Unfortunately I was left with the same result as the first time around and the purifier continued to emit the same smell.

Edit (July 7, 2013):

I cleaned up and rewrote much of the review for readability and to add more details of my experience with the product. I also wanted to note that I purchased the Hamilton Beach 04383 air purifier in October of 2012 and it has worked well for me.

Many people seem to have great experiences with this Honeywell air purifier, but I just cannot recommend it at all. I initially had my rating at three stars since my first unit worked very well for six months, but I have to drop it to one star as the overall experience between my two purchases is completely unacceptable. I went beyond the recommended cleaning parameters for both units and they still went bad on me.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2008
I just returned this item and amazon took $12 off for restocking fee. So I decided to write a review now to share my experience. The unit is small, which is good because I could put it on a table. One small thing that annoyed me was that the unit actually moved little by little when it was on because it was vibrating. So I had to put it on a more rugged surface to keep it from moving.

The purifier worked perfectly fine for the first several days. It produced a humming sound, and it wasn't loud. I could definitely have it turned on while reading without being distracted. The high setting was quite noisy, but still it was within reasonable range of noise. Bottom line: if it were like that all the time, I would've kept it.

Unfortunately, after several days, the unit became extremely noisy and produced a noise like popping popcorn in a microwave, even when I set it only on low. Then the noise became intolerable and I decided to return the item.

Perhaps it was because I got a defective unit or what, I don't know. But before buying it, I read some reviews on amazon indicating that the unit is indeed very noisy. Some reviews, however, suggested otherwise, that the product is excellent. Given the mixed reviews, probably the risk of getting a very noisy purifier like mine is not extremely small. Hope this is helpful.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2007
I brought this one recently to replace the sharper image's ionizer purifier, since I want something to shut off the ionizer -- the air has some smell from those ions.

This unit has three speeds. Another switch to turn on or off the ionizer.

The lowest speed can push enough air comparable to Sharper Image's high speed, without much noise. If no one talks in the room, you can still notice the sound. But if anyone talks or the TV is on, then you would not noticed the sound, even in a 8x10 room. Middle and high speed push 20-50 times more air than a Sharper Images ionizer purifiers. I wish it has a feature to push a button to boost the air flow to high speed for 15 minutes, then fall back to slowest speed...

For the price of a tank of gasoline, and free shipping from Amazon, buying this is no brainer....
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2010
I bought the Honeywell HHT-011 through At first all was well and I was very pleased with the air quality produced by the Air Purifier. I'm currently deployed as a U.S. Army Soldier in Iraq and the air outside is normally filled with dust, dirt, and smoke from Iraqis burning stuff. I live in a Containerized Housing Unit (CHU) and bought the Honeywell HHT-011 for my 12' X 8' room room. I tend to have sinus issues when the air quality is poor. The fan was a little loud, but tolerable - I just had to crank up the TV or IPOD. The front grill did not fit snuggly on the unit and reflects on how the unit is cheaply made.

However after about one month of use, the Honeywell HEPA Clean started to get louder and louder. It appears that the fan wheels are off center and have created a rattling noise. Now the Air Purifier is much louder and rumbles, rattles, and rolls. I've cleaned the filters (pre-filter and HEPA Filter) and the noise persists.

This purchase was very disappointing since it's a quality of life issue. But, you get what you pay for. Reading other similar reviews, this sounds like a quality control issue with Honeywell. Be prepared to spend more for a quality unit. Thanks.
on March 28, 2008
Last Friday we made the mistake of going to the Humane Society to "look" and came home with a kitten. We already had an adult cat, and I am only mildly allergic to him.
Well she sheds like crazy, and I woke up Saturday with my face swollen, congested and just plain miserable. I ordered this last Saturday, it arrived on Tuesday and it's been doing a great job so far.
There is already an air quality difference between the bedroom (where this Honeywell is) and the living room. Our bedroom had a musty winter odor before, now it's smells super clean. I already noticed that there is less cat hair on my comforter.
My husband is also a smoker, I never realized how bad the smell was until I woke up this morning and walked out into the living room. I almost gagged. I walked back into the bedroom to make sure I wasn't loosing it, and sure enough there was a major difference between the two rooms.
It is a bit noisy, but we keep it on medium. However I am one of those people who has a hard time sleeping without the tv, not anymore. The minute I am in bed, I am out.
My husband who told me today that he hasn't slept with the fan on since we bought the Honeywell (he likes the white noise).
Another thing is that we noticed a temperature difference in that room, it's much cooler. This might be a problem for other folks, but we also like a cooler bedroom.
I think it's very likely we will buy one of these for every room!
on May 13, 2008
While sketching, reading, or just kicking back there are few activities I enjoy doing more in a room dedicated just for the purpose. Smoking is one of them.

I purchased this Honeywell air purifier to help tackle the rather strong and unpleasant smell of my enjoyable, yet unhealthy and publicly scorned, habit.

How it works:

+ Air circulation is pleasant
+ On high the unit will get rid of the scent in about a half-hour.
+ On medium the unit will mostly get rid of the smell within about a half-hour.
+ On low the unit will mostly get rid of the smell of the last cigarette about two hours after I put it out.
+ Operation on medium produces tolerable levels of background noise.
+ Operation on low produces barely audible noise.

- Operation on high is as loud as a hand-held Dust Vac or hair dryer.
- Despite the increase in noise, there is no discernible difference in performance (I am a smoker so it could be the ol' tobacco)
- I don't know what the lightbulb button does other than wasting electricity by turning on a seemingly pointless LED which shines dully beneath the plastic cover.
- Ionizer makes an irritating electric popping sound.

Conclusion: The negatives are minor compared to the benefits and low cost of the unit which is why I rate 4/5
on June 1, 2010
Arrived in a sweet box! I have had it running almost since I received it. The filters are easy to clean and static! I can really feel the air moving in the room even with the setting on low.

After two years or so . . and a different state I must say that the little thing still works, but yeah it does get a little noisey.
review image review image review image
on October 23, 2011
One word: WOW. I bought this for odors and it really does work it's little heart out.

I foster cats, so you can imagine the litter box is quite terrifying. While I love animals, I most certainly do not want my home to smell like the SPCA! I plugged this in in the basement in the same room as the litter boxes. It is actually cleaning the air! I've always been careful about the smell of cats in my house but cleaning the litter box twice a day and plug-in air fresheners still didn't take that "smell" away when you walked by the stairs to the basement. Amazingly, I no longer catch the whiff of litter boxes when I walk by the basement steps!

I read A LOT of reviews before settling on this air purifier. I didn't need something that was for a giant room and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Especially since these purifiers tend to get mixed reviews. I didn't need one for allergies or airborne particles. I just wanted something that would cleanse the air and this works. I can't tell you if this works for allergies, but it works amazingly well on odors. Five cats, people! Two litter boxes! And you can't tell when you walk into my house. :)

Now this is NOT a quiet purifier. I don't know how anyone could sleep with this on or keep it in a public space, even on the low setting. It's definitely noticeable. Like having a fan on high -- even when the purifier is on low. When the purifier is on high (I keep it on medium), it's very loud. But it doesn't bounce around or make odd sounds as others have mentioned. It's just a very loud fan.

I have the ionizer on. Not sure what smell people say that gives off. It seems benign to me. I can't really tell of any difference.

The nightlight is absolutely useless. I have no idea what the glow is supposed to be. It's just a green LED. It doesn't give off any sort of ambient lighting, which is a bummer since I wanted to use this to light this area of the basement for the cats, rather than leaving on a light (a low-watt, energy efficient bulb, of course).

I'm very happy with this purchase. Neither I nor the cats mind the fan sound since this is in the basement where I do laundry and the cats do their business.

PS -- For any cat owners looking to work on that smell, I highly recommend paper litter. Yesterday's News Original Cat Litter This is one brand that I use, but I find that the paper litter from PetSmart/Petco to be cheaper (about $10/25 lbs). Paper litter works much better than clay litter in masking smells and as bonus, it's much better for the environment and it's generally cheaper than clumping litter. Def more expensive than clay per pound, but clay is gross, smelly, and bad for the earth!
review image