2,157 Reviews

Published on March 16, 2010 by Lolo G

2.0 out of 5 stars A Change for the Worse, March 16, 2010
Lolo G (Sherman Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
There used to be a model of this fan that was near perfect. It was the HT-800 and I have three of them because I love having them in multiple rooms in the summer. That awesome model seems to have been replaced with this model which is less powerful. The less powerful part is OK, I can just turn the speed up on it (I always used the first setting on the HT-800--that sucker was strong!l). The part they really screwed up, though, is the base. They inexplicably cut away parts of it in the front and the back so now, instead of being solid and sturdy feeling, it's flimsy feeling and top heavy and falls over or points upward every time you touch it. Why oh why do so many companies take a product that's fantastic just the way it is and then change it so it sucks?

By the way, I put this same review on the manufacturer's website (Kaz) and noticed that they change all customer reviews to 5 stars, no matter how many you choose. Real honest of them. After years of buying this brand, I guess I'll be looking for a different one the next time I need a new fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to the Chillout Fan, June 14, 2012
Sam (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
Are you in the market for a $16 smallish fan? Then you are probably trying to decide between the Honeywell Chillout and the Honeywell TurboForce. I have both and like both, but both are suited for slightly different settings. In a nutshell, the Chillout pushes less air but has quieter operation (and a more pleasing tone, but that is subjective); and, the Honeywell has more options (tilt, 3 speed settings) and a more stable base (and as you can guess pushes more air with it's larger fan blades and is louder). So in the end you need to decide which fan will work better for you.

Air Flow: Winner = Tie
- (+1 Honeywell) Based upon my observations the Honeywell low setting produces airflow in between the low and high setting on the Chillout. The medium setting on the Honeywell gives more airflow than the high setting on the Chillout. The high setting on the Honeywell give more airflow than can be achieved by the Chillout.
- (+1 Chillout) As a consequence of this, however, the Chillout allows you to have a truly low setting for those instances you just want a touch of airflow. The Honeywell is still pretty powerful at its lowest setting. For us, this comes in handy in our daughter's room. This way our baby monitor (audio only) is not overpowered by the strong gust/sound from the Honeywell. Now my daughter is allowed to use a fan overnight - with the Honeywell, we would shut it off before going to bed.

Sound: Winner = Chillout
- Chillout: 80 decibels (dB) directly in front of the fan, 70 dB about three feet in front of the fan, 45 dB about three feet to the side of the fan.
- Honeywell: 80 dB directly in front of the fan, 75 dB about three feet in front of the fan, 50 dB about three feet to the side of the fan.
- As I mentioned above, I fell the tone of the sound from the Chillout is closer to white noise, whereas the Honeywell motor overpowers the sound and is higher pitched. The Honeywell sound is not annoying, just louder and less pleasing (for those that like white noise).

Stability: Winner = Honeywell
- The Honeywell has a solid base that allows uniform distribution of weight across the entire base. It sits well in window sills with extended platforms in front.
- The Chillout has a pair of feet in the front that is connected by a cross bar. The back is a fin similar to the front feet, but pointing backwards. The depth of the Chillout is slightly less than the Honeywell. I thought this might add to stability when used in a window sill or the platform in front of a window if you have one; however, I did not find this to be the case. I found that with the feet design, the Chillout has a more concentrated distribution of weight and therefore has a tendency to slip and fall to the side when used in situations that are not perfectly stable.
- Case in point - our windows have platforms that sit in front of the window. They run about four and a half inches wide. The Honeywell sits on these with not problem despite extending about an inch or so beyond the platform. The Chillout, despite being only about a half inch beyond the platform, want to fall forward and off the platform because of the shape and position of the front feet and lack of other contact points. We have to use something underneath the fan to extend the effective platform width to keep the fan in place.

This review is re-posted as a Chillout review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival: air flow and noise masking!, April 3, 2012
I cannot do without this little fan. I have 2 of them now. They serve 2 vital purposes: air flow and noise control. The swivel feature is magnifique, so that the fan can be pointed at the ceiling, which gets the air going all around the space, not just right at you. Also, in chilly weather, the warm air which has risen to the upper levels of your room will be moved around, thanks to this little wonder. Perhaps even more important for a crazy city dweller like myself, this fan makes a really nice white noise, a windy whooooshing sound, which drowns out the footsteps of my upstairs neighbour, who refuses to lay down thicker carpet padding! I will never be without these fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as powerful as HT800, May 10, 2009
Abhinav Bhatnagar (Hackensack, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
Pros:
1. nice cool breeze
2. quieter than HT800 [Honeywell HT800 Super Turbo High Performance Fan, Black]
Cons:
1.not as powerful as HT800
2. Costlier than HT800
3. Do not remain in lowest position.. flipping upwards again and again

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Irritating Problems, September 12, 2009
F. W. King (Canton, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this fan knowing that other reviewers had a problem with the pivoting fan head holding the selected position. I hoped that this condition had either been fixed, as it is a Honeywell, or it was not as bad as indicated by other reviewers. It has not been fixed and it is every bit as bad as indicated by others. Additionally, as I had the fan on a GFI outlet, I found that, when opeating the ON/OFF fan speed switch from one position to another, it opened the GFI outlet shutting off the fan. The fan has been returned to Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars one complaint, May 12, 2009
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
It moves air quite well and is not too noisy considering how powerful it is, but the angle adjustment on it is quite frustrating sometimes. I try to set it on my desk and blow it straight horizontal, and it naturally is most stable when blowing upward, so sometimes it will suddenly slip. There should be some kind of angle locking mechanism or something on it. Other than that, it was cheap, free shipping, and generally gets the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small fan! It really blows., May 6, 2009
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
I am very impressed with this extra small desk sized fan. It creates a nice strong breeze that can be felt from several feet away. Even the lowest setting creates quite a breeze, so if you have papers around or need an extra quiet fan this is probably not a good choice. For me though, I like the white noise it creates and in the hot, humid Florida summers, this is a nice way to cool off without having astronomical power bills.

I purchased one fan for each of the bedrooms and can now raise the temp on my A/C by two degrees and yet it feels cooler than it did before.

The fan can also be wall-mounted and the fan's angle clicks into secure settings so you don't have to worry about it rotating up or down. The power cord appears to be around six feet long.

I highly recommend these little fans for portability, space, and effectiveness. Those wanting an oscillating fan rather than a fan that only blows in one direction should consider Honeywell HFT114B Oscillating Super-Turbo High-Performance 3-Speed Fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine for me, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900 (Kitchen)
I've only had it for about 2 months but so far it hasn't given me any problems. It moves a decent amount of air and it's not too loud, and for the price it's a very good buy. I get annoyed when I see reviews from people who complain about the smallest imperfections of a product. THE FAN IS ONLY 15 FREAKING DOLLARS!!! If you want a futuristic super fan that's small, quiet AND moves 1,000,000 cfm then you should invest your 15 bucks in experimental military grade tech and stop ruining a good company's reputation with your stupid reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, August 30, 2009
While this fan is a nice bright white, light-weight and quiet it is not well-designed. The weight of the motor does not allow you to keep the air direction perpendicular or even slightly angled. It will "lose its grip" and slip to straight toward the ceiling while running and sometimes even just sitting on the table.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the fan but no removable grill., June 8, 2012
This fan has good air flow with 3 settings. High, medium and low. I have no trouble with the fan staying in the position I put it. I use it to dry hand laundry. I can place the fan under the drying rack and position the fan so it blows up. I was looking for a fan that would do that. The clothes dry fast and look as good as they would drying in a dryer.

CON: Description says it has a removable grill for cleaning. This model does NOT have a removable grill. A Swiffer duster can be used to clean the front and back grooves but you must take it apart to clean the blades. You can take it apart using a long skinny, small head, Phillips screwdriver. A bit of a hassle but possible. See the photos I uploaded.

Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900