5.0 out of 5 stars Portable Air Cleaner with HEPA Filter is Whisper Soft
As someone who is highly allergic to cigarette smoke and other air pollutants and irritants, I purchased a round Honeywell HEPA air filter when it first came on the market several years ago. It still works well in the living room, but it is quite noisy even on its lowest setting.
Published on March 17, 2001 by Michela

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but rather noisy
The Honeywell seems quite well made. The pre-filter and filter are easy to change. The carry handle on top is useful when you want to move it from room to room. The HEPA filter seems to work fine, as any other True HEPA model will, but my real concern is the noise level.

Published on May 18, 2005 by Richard J. Mcgrath

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable Air Cleaner with HEPA Filter is Whisper Soft, March 17, 2001
Michela (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honeywell Long-Life Pure HEPA QuietCare Air Purifier, 17000 (Kitchen)
This year I purchased another Honeywell air cleaner with a HEPA filter (Model 17400) for my bedroom because I had contacted bacterial pneumonia last year and wanted to make sure I did not get it again. Next, I purchased this Honeywell 17000 Air Cleaner (with HEPA filter) for use in a smaller bedroom which has been turned into a home office and library.
These air cleaners really work! This winter I have not had a cold or flu. Also, this Honeywell Air Cleaner with HEPA filter is whisper soft, and I have had no problems with sleeping, working, reading, watching tv, or listening to music when it is running on the low and medium settings. I leave it on all the time, and I've found that it cleans the air best when the door is closed.
It has a convenient handle on the top, so I can move it to another room quite easily. Also, it is light enough that I can take it with me in the car if I want to use it away from home.
The prefilters last about 3-6 months, (and they can be vacuumed often if you have pets who shed). I change my HEPA filter every year, but you can wait 3 years to do so. These filters are easy to change. The Model 17000 is for a smaller room, and the Model 17400 is for a larger space.
Highly recommended for anyone who has pets, who lives with or entertains people who smoke, and who is allergic to dust, molds, or pollens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do people expect silence?, December 2, 2006
H. Nelson (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
If you want a silent, useless air cleaner, go buy an overpriced oreck or sharper image unit. It will reduce things like smoke and tiny, tiny particles, but forget it getting rid of dust. I know, I had one. If you want a unit that actually "Filters" the air, buy this. Sure on Medium or High this unit will add background noise, but on low, it is hardly noticable if it's not right next to you. We noticed an immediate "crisp feel" to the air and huge reduction in dust in the air. My cough of 3 weeks is gone overnight. Coincidence.. I think not.

Don't read into the reviews that bash the noise.. Noise means it's working.

4.0 out of 5 stars To All Those Who Complain About This Being Loud, November 16, 2012
Length:: 1:31 Mins

Note: If you can hear the button presses in the video... your video player volume is quite high... turn it down a bit! Also note, my recording equipment (my Razr Maxx) is quite sensitive to be able to pick up my breathing and the button presses...

This is just a video to record the different volumes coming from this unit at High, Medium, and Low.

I personally don't think that High is loud though I can understand that to some people it is loud. But come on, it's a blowing air from the top at high speeds!

It's like a fan, and it definitely cools the room so put on your sweater!

Also in the video is how Medium sounds... be sure to note the decrease in volume from High to Medium... big difference, yes?

Still, to me at least, not loud, bearable... do you know what is more annoying? Babies crying... or should I say... cry babies... *wink* just joking... again I understand that some are sensitive to noise... but gardeners and some sprinklers cause more ruckus than this trusty little unit!

It purifies your air!

Last but definitely something to note is the volume on Low. Be sure to notice the change from High, and from Medium... Low isn't loud at all!

My PC is louder than that! And under load, my PC is nearly as loud as High! (My PC has 6 fans not including CPU/GPU/PWR).

I'll have to come back to this review to comment on the unit's effectiveness and HOW I FEEL ... as of now it's been running constantly in my room ~ 160 square feet for about 2 hours... and I just took a deep breath... I can breathe again!

Ok this is an update, it's been running for over 9 hours now... I actually totally forgot about it because I was distracted watching movies, playing video games, and guitar...

I also forgot to add that it's light weight. It can easily be transported...

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but rather noisy, May 18, 2005

If all HEPA purifiers were like this, I would accept it, but I recently purchased the "Kenmore 295 CADR True HEPA Air Cleaner" from Sears. It is described as "America's quietest true HEPA high-efficiency air cleaner technology". The Kenmore is _quieter_ on its _highest_ setting, than the honeywell is on its _lowest_ setting, and if you put the Kenmore on its lowest setting, you can barely hear it. You'll have no problem sleeping or watching TV with it running. Note that even though the Kenmore is much quieter, it has a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) twice that of the Honeywell, and it handles a room twice the size. I paid $199 for the Kenmore, so yes, a little more expensive than the honeywell, but absolutely worth it.

So, the honeywell is fine, but you won't want to run it continuously or run it while you sleep because of the noise. There are better models out there. Look into the Kenmore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it is noisy, April 28, 2008
Just received Honeywell 17000N today. This is my 3rd air purifier in my house, the others are: Panasonic FP15HU, and Whirlpool Whispure AP250.

I will only talk about noise in this review, since I think most HEPA-type air purifier should almost equivalent to each other, in terms of cleaning the air.

At its lowest setting, the Honeywell 17000N is quite loud, although it does have higher air flow than my other two air purifiers at their lowest settings. The other review mentioned the noise level resemble hair dryer. I agree with this assessment, although more likely it sounds like hair dryer on its lowest setting.

Here is how noisy it is (at the lowest setting): I put it at about 4' from the door in a 11x11 size room. With the door closed, at 6' away I can still hear the whoosh sound of the air purifier.

I am still not sure whether to put this in my son's room, or just put it in a general area like the living room. Will see if he's able to tolerate the noise through the night.

UPDATE: I just used a power meter to check the power usage of my air purifiers. At the lowest setting, here's the power usage:
Honeywell 17000N - 58 watt
Panasonic FP15HU - 40 watt
Whirlpool AP250 - 26 watt

No wonder Honeywell is the loudest of the bunch, and it uses twice as much power as the Whirlpool AP250.

Here's the power usage at the highest setting:
Honeywell 17000N - 80 watt
Panasonic FP15HU - 96 watt
Whirlpool AP250 - 45 watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Positive (realistic) review, February 14, 2003
C. Hobbs (United States) - See all my reviews
I have never had an air cleaner, so I have no basis for comparison. I also have not had it for too long, so i can't advise on it's long term performance. That being said I am very happy so far with it. I recently, and for no aparent reason, developed mild asthma and allergies. I have two cats and, while I am not a pathological neat-freak, don't have small messes around the home, and I vacuum frequently. Both my asthma and allergies have gone away. The air is remarkably more crisp, and my sleep, while it was good to begin with, is better.
As for my experience with the noise level, and with deference to other reviews, I have no problems with the cleaner. This thing has moving parts, i.e., the consequences of thermodynamics and mechanics hold sway: there will be heat, friction, viscous drag over surfaces, etc... it sounds like a fan. On the lowest setting, which still filters a large volume of air (per time), sleeping or reading is very comfy in the same room. While the two higher settings may be too much to relax in the same room with, it will be slightly audible in another (close proximity) room.
The filters are easily accessed. They are concentric with one HEPA and a carbon prefilter, and are, at first glance, sealed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functionality Versus Quiet, October 2, 2006
I bought this unit to try and assist the whole house aircleaner that we have on our central air system. I was amazed at how much dirt that this unit removed from our bedroom. While it does the job it is supposed to do, it is still a bit on the loud side even when placed on the lowest setting. I am not sure that there is any way around this noise as it is caused by the amount of air that the unit moves through the filter.

In many respects, getting used to the noise level of this unit is like getting used to the sound of a Grandfather clock. At first it is extremely iritating, but with time it becomes less noticable. The important part is that it functions as advertised and it does remove a lot of material from the air. Since this is the function that I was after, it does what it was supposed to do. I can sleep again without all of the iritation that my allergies cause.

The secondary filter (carbon filter) really does need to be changed or vacuumed off every couple of months. This filter acts as a pre-filter for the main filter and will quickly fill with dust. As a suggestion, use a good vacuum with a hepa filter to clean it with or you will just be sending dust back into your room. The carbon filter pack that Amazon sells works well and each filter will actually give you two filters since you need to cut each one in half to fit this unit (there are perforations in the filter to allow you to do this easily).

I am happy enough with this unit that I have just ordered another one to place in my home office. Remember, that this filter will only do a medium size room and will not be effective for a large room or for a whole house application!

The reason that I gave this a 4 out of 5 rating is that while the unit claims to be very quiet, that would be a matter of opinion and I think it is a bit on the loud side. However, I can live with it and you become used to it after a bit of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but newer model available -- 6 yrs - still good --, January 21, 2007
Ben V Hoff (N Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I'm new at air purifiers. Bought an Orek and returned it 3 days later after also buying this model for $100 at Target. It cleaned up something in the air immediately that helped my allergies a lot and this is not wishful thinking. I ordered two of the newer models on Amazon, 17005, because it has a timer and remote. These machines are noisy but they pump a lot of air and with the timer we can set the two that we will be getting to turn on full blast while we are sleeping. Other air cleaners have higher ratings but cost 4-6 times more. I am going by my personal experience and think that two in our medium sized master bedroom will continue to do even better than the one we have now. (duh :-)

The 17005 is $120 on Amazon. Good luck.

P.S. It pulls cat hair out of the air quite well. I had to clean the pre-filter after one day. I would give it a 5 but I'm no expert and maybe there is even something better, but I don't think so.

Six years now and the air filters are still working. Not one of the six we bought has had any problem. I didn't realize it had been so long. Re-rated to 5 stars.

It's been over 6 yrs. and the filters are still working. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong but not that quiet..., April 29, 2005
They call it QuietCare... It's not all that quiet. I mean, it's throwing out a serious amount of air, and like any fan, it makes noise. Don't expect this to be silent, because it's not. Otherwise though, I find it to be quite nice as an air cleaner. Ultimately, it is easy to replace the filter. You simply twist a knob, remove the filter, add the new one, and tighten the knob. Even my grandma could do it.

You can also program the unit to operate at different speeds at different times. Not exactly revolutionary, but it's nice to know that you can set the thing and leave it alone, and it'll shut off, or switch to low speed when you aren't at home.

Overall, if you want a decent HEPA air filter, this is pretty cherry. This isn't some cheap air filter with a weak fan. You could dry your hair to this thing. Safe around kids and pets, easy to move from room to room, and the set and forget system makes it worth the money. The only reason I'd of bought something else is if I had a bigger room and needed even more power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does job well and does it quitely, January 15, 2007
jennifer247365 (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This air purifier does a great job of filtering the air in our apartment. I am asthmatic. I bought two of these units, one for the bedroom, and one for the home office where my boyfriend smokes when the weather is too hot or too cold to go outdoors. He can smoke in his home office without triggering my asthma if he runs this purifier on the medium setting. Because I have asthma, I needed an air purifer without an ionizer, and I'm happy with this product. Ionizers produce ozone, which is harmful to the respiratory system, especially if you are asthmatic. A lot of popular air purifers are just ionizers that don't do a good job of filtering allergins, and many of the HEPA purifiers have an ionizer that works in conjunction with the HEPA. This unit does not contain an ionizer, and the HEPA is permanent so it can be cleaned. The pre-filter has to be replaced every 3-4 months, and the replacement is about ten dollars. This unit is quiet in comparison to its counterparts, but don't expect silence. It contains a motor with a fan to pull air through the filter, so it makes some noise. It's "white noise" and we were used to it after two days.