5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says
This thing is really cool. I wanted something that I could use to put my porch light on a timer with a CFL bulb, and this works perfectly.

Published on October 8, 2011 by James Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 10 months, warranty service stinks
Published on December 17, 2011 by Jonathan A. Titus

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, October 8, 2011
This review is from: Honeywell 7-Day Programmable Timer (Tools & Home Improvement)

Some other available products (light sensors and other timers, including a Honeywell timer similar to this one) only work with incandescent bulbs, which defeats the purpose of putting lights on a timer to save energy. I could leave my 26-watt CFL (100w equivalent) on all day and still use less electricity than a 100-watt incandescent on an 8-hour timer.

With this model, you can program either a single on/off cycle to repeat every day, or up to 7 separate on/off cycles for each individual day of the week. I think you can also set an every-day cycle and combine it with 6 additional day-specific cycles if you choose. The cover for the programming buttons also functions as the manual on/off button, and using it does not interfere with your programs.

There is another model that works with CFLs -and- can be set to vary its on/off times to match your local daylight calendar (Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B 7-Day Solar Time Table Programmable Switch) but for the extra cost, I didn't need that feature.

I had some trouble figuring out that you have to slide a toggle under the button cover to "ON" before the switch itself will work AT ALL. I thought that was a bit confusing in the instructions, so now you'll know. Programming is not very difficult but it took me a few tries to figure it out. When you are finished programming, just close the cover and press it once (as if you're turning the light on) to exit programming mode.

To use this timer, you need to have a light switch where the power enters at the switch rather than at the light fixture. That's because the timer itself needs to have electricity constantly, in order to operate while the light is turned off. If your power enters at the light fixture instead, shutting off the light would also kill the power to the timer. Most houses are wired the correct way, which typically means at least 1 pair of black/white wires entering the switch box. If instead there is no white wire at the switch, only two black wires or a black and a red, you won't be able to use this timer.

As a side note, this switch has some sort of capacitor inside that saves your programs during power outages. It isn't a battery, so you would never need to replace it. It has worked fine through a couple of brief outages so far.

Edit: Lost power for over a week from some nasty storms this summer (July 2012), but the timer remembered all of my programs and the clock was still correct. Awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 12, 2012
As an electrical engineer, I say that this timer is good for what it was meant for. Installation is easy with the pre-existing wires, just twist the corresponding wires together and use wire nuts. There is no need to juggle with wires under the screws as with a light switch.
Set up was easy and I like the feature that lets you program all days of the week in a single operation, because this is what most people will use it for. It was installed on my backyard light and now I don't forget to turn it on or off either.
I took off one star for two reasons. First the display is not back lit and if you are not a teenager you will need a flash light to see the displayed information. Second it has no cover even though you can see one in the picture, but it came out to be a pictured cover on the package that fouled me. I ended up buying a GE rocker cover from Walmart at $0.57.
After buying this timer, I came across a different one on Amazon, it's a Stanley 30419 which at $17.95 is cheaper that the Honeywell, has a cover included and most importantly the LCD is back lit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 10 months, warranty service stinks, December 17, 2011
This switch looks good and works well (see added information below). Other reviews have commented on its operation. I would recommend it, too, but not until Honeywell includes a backlight or other illumination for the display. I installed the switch in a dark hallway and had to use a flashlight to see the display when I programmed it. I found the timer easy to program, though, and easy to install. Someone else noted you need three (3) wires--power (black), neutral (white), and connection to your lamps or lights (probably black). That's correct. To find out if you have the required wires, turn off power, take your old timer or switch out of its electrical box, and ensure you have these wires. DO NOT connect the neutral wire from the timer to the bare ground wire in the electrical box.

Addendum 17 October 2012: This timer worked well for about 10 months and then died. I went through hell to get the Honeywell warranty-service people (call center in south Asia) to respond to my requests for a new timer under warranty. All they wanted to tell me is what they could not do. After three calls, I talked with an Amazon person who called Honeywell and got things squared away. I still had to make a final call to the warranty phone number and email an image of my Amazon receipt. Honeywell's customer-service treats customers poorly and I will not buy another Honeywell product unless absolutely necessary.

I was surprised the warranty-service person did not ask me to return the dead timer. I thought the company's quality-control people might want to determine why it failed. Maybe they don't care.

1.0 out of 5 stars EDITED: I originally thought this was a great timer, but that didn't last very long., July 20, 2014
I purchased 2 timers to use with aquarium lights. I had one fail within the first two weeks, but would still recommend the timer.

About a week after setting up two timers connected to outlets for my aquarium lights I noticed the clock on one unit was running slow. After two weeks the clock was an hour slow.

I opted to go through Amazon for the return, which is always a quick and easy process.

The timer is very easy to setup and the fact that it works with everything an aquarist might encounter (pumps, compact fluorescents, LEDs, metal halides, heaters etc.), is huge. I love being able to use the timer manually without interrupting the settings.

EDIT: A week after the first timer stopped working, the second one has followed suit. Down to 3 stars now. One more failure and I'm done.

EDIT2: The replacements arrived and one was DOA and the other worked fine. The DOA unit worked manually, but the LCD screen was blank and could not be programmed. This time I returned the bad unit and will replace it with another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted six months., July 5, 2014
Minkfield (Canaan, NH USA) - See all my reviews
Lasted six months. I bought this in January 2014 because my old one died after three years. This one cost more and only lasted six months. From now on I will only by the cheapest ones available because I consider them "disposable."

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, February 18, 2014
I bought 6 of these to control 4 LED bulbs each. I set the timers to turn on @ 6pm and off and 6am daily. On month passes I replaced one with another brand timer. 4 months later 4 of have died, I bought 5 new timers from a different brand and installed them and they are running great. I did not try calling the warranty service I rather not have this product waste more of my time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Programming instructions are terrible !, June 5, 2013
I'm technically inclined and can usually figure out instructions, no matter how badly they are written. But, I confess, the instructions for RPLS730B have me stumped. I have made over a dozen attempts to program ON/OFF times and can't get the unit to work properly. Main reason: each of multiple lines of instruction can be understood to mean a different set of two, three or more actions. So, you try one action and it doesn't. You try another and IT doesn't work either. You try a third and, you guessed it, it doesn't work either! Unfortunately, you don't find out it doesn't work until you've completed (individually) all the lines of instruction. So you never know EXACTLY where you went wrong and have to start from the beginning again, hoping that THIS time you'll make EVERY choice correctly.

What's needed in these instructions are multiple "hints" along the way. As one simple example: The instructions say:" ensure that PM appears on the screen" etc. What it doesn't say is HOW to get "PM" on the screen if it ISN'T there. Muliply this illustrative point by 12 to understand how bad the instructions are !

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't last long enough, December 9, 2013
anon "anon" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought three in Febuary of 2012. Installed two. First one quit working (nothing showing in display) within 8 months Replaced with spare. Second one lasted 20 months, then it also quit working in same fashion as first one. They just don't last long enough for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intimidating to install at first, but works great., February 5, 2012
Bought this to control 2 lights on my garage, to replace the normal switch inside the house. When I opened up the wall recepticle, was very intimidating because I have 3 light switches in that light switch box. Was just a ton of wires in there! I'm not an electrician, but I have replaced light switches and installed ceiling fans before, so I have some idea of what the wires are. You just have to figure out which black wires go outside to the light fixtures you are controlling. The black wire that goes outside, thats the one you connect to blue wire on the new switch. Connect the Black from the switch to the other bundle of black wires and White to White, and its done. Programming it took about 10 minutes, its not intuitive, you need to read the instructions. Now that its in, its all good! Did not have to change the cover plate, the existing one worked. I would have given it perfect rating but the instructions were not that great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Light Switch Timer, January 28, 2012
It was easy to install. Yes, you need the neutral wire, but you should have a neutral wire running through the box. Any device like this (that uses electricity) will require the neutral wire. You can turn the light on and off manually by pressing the switch. It's also easy to turn the auto control on and off (hold the button for three seconds).

Honeywell 7-Day Programmable Timer