5.0 out of 5 stars Works great
I bought this to replace a White-Rodgers non-programmable thermostat (it looks like this one: [...] This product is a fine replacement.

Published 14 months ago by Brian A. Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't have instructions that applied to my situation
I had a really basic thermostat that I was replacing. One of the round ones with the mercury switch inside. (Made by Honeywell, I might add). Once removed, just two wires came out of the wall. When you touch the two wires together, the furnace comes on, and when you keep them apart the furnace is off. Couldn't be simpler.

But can you imagine that this...
Published 20 months ago by Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Honeywell RTH2300B1012/A 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat (Tools & Home Improvement)

I bought my house with an 80% efficiency gas heater installed (Trane, around 7 years old), but no air conditioning. Around a month ago, I had air conditioning installed (Carrier). The non-programmable thermostat became a bit annoying because it got too hot during the day and too cold at night, depending which direction I changed the temperature.

I took a look at the old White-Rodgers thermostat and had the following connections: white to W, red to RH, a red jumper from RH to RC, blue to C, green to G, and yellow to Y. (A very good reference for what those all mean is [...]

The Honeywell unit does not have an RH terminal, only an R and an RC. I assume R, RH, and RC are all the same (at least in this situation), but not wanting to start a fire or something, I called the customer support number and was incredibly surprised to find that the person I spoke with was actually able to help me.

Turns out--and please don't blame me if it breaks your system--that red goes to R on the new unit and the jumper between R and RC (there by default) remains in place.

Minor annoyance: the Honeywell *requires* batteries. The White-Rodgers unit operated without batteries (the person I spoke to told me the blue wire, C, supplies power). Since the Honeywell doesn't take a C connection, it must run on batteries. (Hopefully they last a couple of months at least.)

My final connections: white to W, red to R, jumper from R to RC, green to G, and yellow to Y.

One more minor annoyance: you'll need an incredibly tiny flathead screwdriver to tighten the terminal connections. If you have an eyeglass screwdriver or similar (and know where it is), you'll be fine.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the unit and Honeywell's phone support.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't have instructions that applied to my situation, January 24, 2013

But can you imagine that this thermostat doesn't have instructions for that scenario? I was able to Google instructions eventually, but it is ridiculous that it describes what to do if you have 5 different colored wires but not what to do if you have only two. By the way, what you had to do was remove a jumper and attach your two wires to the CORRECT two posts, which I no longer recall. After that the thermostat works fine, but it was unnecessarily complicated for such a simple use case.

I did end up buying a second one, for the upstairs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Sensitive Control, January 29, 2014
I bought this model to replace my old, hard-to-program thermostat. Very simple. Easy to install. Easy to program. Did it all in lessthan a half hour. Very precise temperature control. Maintains temperature to 1 degree. Wherein, there is the rub.
When they say maintains temperature to +/- 1 degree, they mean 1 degree. At whatever temperature you set, if your room temperature changes by 1 degree, your furnace goes on. When it recovers that 1 degree, it shuts off. I have seen my furnace go on and run for three minutes and shut off. Three minutes later, it goes on again and repeats the cycle. It does this continuously until the next set-back.
My electric bill has gone up 50% due to the frequent cycling, and my gas bill went up 30%. All due to the frequent cycling of the system.
I suggest you opt for a thermostat that has a 2-3 degree cycle range. It will still maintain a comfortable temperature without running as frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job as advertised, April 21, 2013
Easy to install and program. Apparently I need to add more words to satisfy amazons requirements so I've done that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thermostat - But follow the directions, October 7, 2012
I bought this as a replacement for an older model honeywell programmable thermostat that had batteries that expired that made the unit become temperamental (worked most of the time but the readings on the screen kept indicating batteries needing replacement even though new batteries had been installed). This new thermostat was smaller than the unit it was replacing. The new thermostat had more features. When I first installed this unit the old tags on the wires fell off as I removed each wire from the old thermostat so I could not be certain which wire went into which position on the new one. Being a little flustered by losing the wire tags, I skimmed the directions and dig not pay close attention to where the wires connected with the thermostat. I plugged the wires into the back of the unit instead of on the top of the back of the unit. The front of the unit could not be snapped into place because the wires were where the prongs were supposed to be engaged. The wires were larger in diameter than the prongs, enlarging the holes for the prongs to connect. After moving the wires where they were supposed to go and connecting the faceplate in position I could not get the system to turn on. I was not sure whether the wires were in the wrong position or if the prongs were not making contact. After several adjustments, everything started working. The unit works great and was easy to program. We have used it for both air conditioning and heating. Just take time to mark your wires with the tags provided and follow the directions for how they connect to unit as part of the installation and you will have a great programmable thermostat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install & use., April 23, 2013
I purchased one of these locally and the price was much higher. However, I was so impressed I purchased this one as a gift for a friend. She installed it herself without any difficulty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fonts too small, December 4, 2013
Price is right and programming the 5/2 day wake-leave-return-sleep data is not too hard. But, and this is a big but, the display fonts are way too small for easy reading. Unless you are eagle-eyed pass this model up and find one with a larger display.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 units bought, minor issues with two of them, but they work okay, January 28, 2013
We purchased three identical Honewell 5-2 day programmable thermostats to replace some old mercury-balance switch thermostats which operate area under-floor radiant heating in our house. (Two of the five zones already had electronic thermostats.)

One of the three, when I opened it up to begin installation, had a bent ground pin, which I was able to fix with some needle-nose pliers. And another unit has a minor display issue in the lower right corner such that if you press the down temperature button with much force, it shows compression blackness; obviously the plastic case is pressing on the LCD panel.

Otherwise the units work well, and once programmed, we don't need to mess with the settings much. Plus the price wasn't bad. Still, from what other reviewers have been saying, it sounds like Honeywell has some manufacturing quality issues they need to address.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, July 22, 2014
Wow, didn't know how bad my previous high-end thermostat was until I installed this unit. Install instructions could be a bit clearer with electric heat-pumps, but not bad enough to impact my 5-star rating.

PROS:
Optional 5 minute minimum run time (to protect against short run times)
Programming is easy
Backlit Display - clear

Cons:
Audible click when target temp is reached

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great and easy to install, June 20, 2014
Koogan (Athens, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This was reasonably priced and I found it easy to install. I suggest watching the installation video on YouTube. That's a little simpler than the instructions that come with the product.

Honeywell RTH2300B1012/A 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat