Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Price:$87.28 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 27, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this t-stat for our cabin after having a burst pipe and flooding issue because of the t-stat we had. I watched all of the video installation guides and went on a help forum so I knew what I was doing before starting the process. The installation was fairly easy once I ran the new t-stat wire. Setting up the wifi was a nightmare for me. Everything was fine as I walked through the steps but when I got to the point of connecting to the wifi via the thermostat it would come up with an error message E02 (wrong password). I entered the password correctly each time and tried probably 10 times with both my computer and smart phone. Finally I called support at honeywell. I had a very difficult time understanding what the person was saying because of the accent and after a half an hour of getting know where, decided to call my internet provider. Another half an hour an no closer to finding out what was wrong. Called honeywell again and got a different person this time, with no accent, and in 5 minutes had it figured out. I had to remove my password from my home wifi, disconnect both the home wifi and thermostat and reconnect. SUCCESS!!!

The t-stat is awesome and the iphone app is great. I can change temps whenever I want and get updates if things are amiss! I am giving this t-stat 5 stars because it does everything I want and it should actually be very easy to set-up. I am not sure why two different support personal at Honeywell can have two totally different answers. One who can fix the problem in very short order and one who has no idea what is wrong. I'm not going to take off stars for the support problems at Honeywell.

This is the first day of operation for the thermostat. If something changes and goes wrong I will update!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2013
Installation is pretty easy, as long as you have a "C" wire. This provides 24VAC to power the thermostat. I did 3 installations today . . . 1 hour (sorting out heat pump wiring differences), 20 minutes, and 15 minutes respectively.

The WiFi connection is very easy.
- When you first power the thermostat on, it creates its own WiFi network.
- You use a PC, laptop, or tablet (Kindle Fire in my case) browser to connect (192.168.1.1) to the thermostat.
- The thermostat then scans for other wireless networks, and shows you a list.
- You select your home network from that list and give the thermostat the password.

The thermostat then connects to your home network and "calls home" to the control website. Once it connects, it tells you to register the thermostat on the web site. You disconnect from the thermostat and then use the browser on any internet-connected computer device to complete the registration on the control website.

The website was fully functional for me using the Kindle Fire and any PC or laptop, so no "app" is necessary. I have not yet connected the thermostats to a smartphone.

In addition to monitoring and controlling the thermostats, you can now also program them using your browser. My programs are currently set for min and max temps when the house is unoccupied, allowing occupants to set temps as they please by placing the thermostats on "Hold". YMMV.

NOTE TO HEAT PUMP USERS:
There was some question about how the thermostat controls auxilliary heat. The question is raised in another review here, and frankly I saw similar problems myself.

Ideally, the aux heat electric strips should only be turned on when necessary. Some thermostats do not turn on aux heat until a 2-degree rise is necessary. This thermostat operates differently.

Near as I can tell after one day of use . . . the thermostat turns the heat pump on when the temperature is still at the set point shown on the thermostat . . . as if it has seen the temperature fall from , eg, 70.1 to 69.9 . . . both of which might show as "70" on the thermostat. If the temperature falls 1 degree below the set point, the thermostat turns on the auxilliary heat as reported in the other review.

At the moment I don't see this as an issue. Time will tell, and if it is an issue I will come back and note it in this review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2013
This Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7 Day Programmable Thermostat is the same as the higher-priced Honeywell wifi thermostats, but not touch screen. Installation and support from Honeywell were a little frustrating, but with perseverance and some trial/error it's working fine.

Pros
+ Each day programs individually or in groups
+ It informs you by email when the temp is above or below a user-defined threshold for a user-defined duration
+ Check and set your house temp remotely (warm your house up before you return from your week-long mid-winter vacation!)
+ The remote service informs you when it can't contact the thermostat, which can indicate a power outage or other problem
+ It learns your heating system's capabilities and starts warming up the house to achieve target temp at the target time

Cons
- Only two set points per day in program (infinite manual settings), which for hydronic heating systems is fine, but cooling systems or forced-air heat might be able to use 3 or 4 set points for families with erratic schedules.
- Connection to an old-style (the majority) of two-wire systems is not possible without external power, and Honeywell is no help
- The remote monitoring site requires you to enter your mailing address. I find this a bit creepy, but it does provide Honeywell with the info it needs to show the weather forecast in the app. I don't know if they also adjust your heating warm-up time based on outside temp, but it could.

My brand new boiler has an old-style two-wire connection, and the instructions do not provide you with any options for connecting this type of thermostat. A response to a Honeywell support inquiry was, "Call a professional." Well, I did call my boiler installer, and he said that he fried one of these while trying to figure it out. The solution is actually simple and elegant. I used a door-bell transformer (19.8VAC) to send a separate power connection to the thermostat. What's best about this connection is that I can separately connect the transformer to a UPS so that I can monitor the house temp even in the event of a power outage (my cable modem and other network equipment are also on UPS). Remove the jumper between R and Rc connections on the thermostat. Connect one of the low-voltage transformer wires (doesn't matter which) to the "C" wire connection, and the other to the "Rc" connection. Connect the thermostat control wire according to instructions (R and W). Follow the rest of the Honeywell instructions for setting up the thermostat on wifi and with the remote monitoring web site.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2014
I bought this from Lowes and installed it. Installation was on par with another Wifi Thermostat we have in the 1st floor.

I had it up and running on Wifi within 10 minutes or so. I was initially bummed that it doesn't have the "Set Away" feature that our other thermostat has (Filtrete brand) as that means that I have to reset the temp and "lock Hold" everytime we leave the lake house. Nonetheless, it was working and I could now control both zones from my phone.

I setup the schedule and all the settings where the website would alert me for high/low temps, etc. One setting I set was to have the website email me if the thermostat loses connectivity and then again every 6 hours until it reconnects.

We drove home from the lake house on New Years day.

On Jan 2, I got an email on my phone that the thermostat lost connectivity. But the other thermostat was reporting fine, as were all of our wifi webcams. It's now the 14th and it still hasn't reconnected. I'm a bit disappointed that all I got out of it was 1 day. The whole point of wi-fi for us is to monitor the house when we are *away*, thus resetting anything is kind of pointless.
on January 7, 2013
I was hoping I could write some apps, or even host a page at home with the thermostat details. Unfortunately, it only talks to their server and you can only make changes over the network through their website. Before creating an account, they say "We reserve the right to charge for access to this site in the future". So at anytime, they could block access to your account unless you pay.

It works, but Im not happy that thermostat administration over the network must go through their site.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
Verified Purchase
If you enjoy having to reset the wifi connection frequently and working with a customer service that just leaves you hanging with no resolve or response back than look no further, the Honeywell RTH6580WF is the stat for you. In fact I'll be happy just to give you mine. Check out the Venstar thermostat as a better choice. the write ups and the customer service seems better. I Have not bought one yet but I have emailed Venstars' customer service for just general questions and I received replays back;both times, in under 15 minutes.
on October 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
I am very pleased with the unit and it is performing exactly like I hoped, after a month of usage. Its very cool to be able to modify and monitor the temperature setting of my home on my iPhone or laptop from anywhere. Since installing it I have not yet taken a long trip away from home but I know that when I do its going to bring some piece of mind to be able to check in and make sure the house is warm and not freezing up.

Scheduling: I really like the ability to set the daily/weekly schedule from the web interface. If you've ever tried setting schedules on thermostats with only a few buttons on the face plate you can probably relate to how frustrating it can be. For this unit however, the web interface through Honeywell Total Connect makes it quick and easy to make schedule changes. The app for iOS works well for this also though I prefer the regular web interface.

Reliability: Once the unit was connected and happy, which took a little bit of work (see below), to date I have had no disconnects or some of the other issues reported by some reviewers.

Wiring Setup: This took some head scratching but it in the end wasn't too bad. Upon removing my old thermostat, of course I found I had no "C" wire, and the labels on the old thermostat did not match the Wifi thermostat (the old thermostat had "G", "W", and and "RH/RC" wire, with only "G" matching). However I found that the instructions that came with the Wifi unit had decent enough cross-correlation for what to do with non-matching labels ("RH" was actually "R" for example). To deal with the missing "C" wire I was lucky to find a number of unused wires in the wire bundle running to the furnace with the existing wires -- I chose one and it became the "C" wire, hooking up to the Wifi thermostat on one end and my furnace (a York Diamond 90) on the other.

Wifi Setup: This was surprisingly more painful then the physical installation, but once finally connected I had no issues. I had repeated "Connection Failure", error code "E02" which according to the manual means I was entering an incorrect Wifi network password -- but I was not. Through a lot of internet searching I found out my problem was I had a space in my Wifi network (SSID) name, which the Wifi thermostat does not tolerate. Removing the space from my network name solved the problem, however only after also changing my network security from "WPA TKIP PSK" to "WPA2 AES PSK" (the former is supposed to work however it would not work for me, at least with my particular router-Wifi thermostat combo -- oh well it was time to start using the better wifi security setting anyway!)

Switching Wifi Networks: I replaced my old router with a new router recently (with a new Wifi network name) and tried to go through the network setup again. Not sure how to have it join the new network, I tried resetting the unit by removing the face plate from the wall, waiting a few minutes, and putting back in place -- well this only resulted in having to set the clock again and it was still looking for the old Wifi network. Tried this a few times with no luck. If I had read the instructions again I would have seen there is a section called "Disconnecting Wifi" with a particular set of key presses to have it forget the previous network and start the Wifi search again (hold down up and fan keys for three seconds, then change setting #39 to "0"). Did this and quickly had it on the new Wifi network. This is good to know how to do as I imagine you would need to do this if you changed your Wifi network password as well.

The documentation is good, especially regarding installation and the wire hookups. They could add more Wifi troubleshooting hints -- it was frustrating when it was giving me an error suggesting an incorrect Wifi password when that wasn't the trouble at all.

If I experience any major issues I will revisit this review but so far I am happy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2013
Picked up this unit on sale from Home Depot but came on Amazon for opinions and suggestions on installing and setting up. Looked like a good buy. I replaced a battery powered unit - had all five wires needed (yellow, white, green, red, and blue). My blue wire (acting as C wire) was not used with the previous unit and I couldn't find it so therefore I thought I wouldn't be able to use this one. But on a whim, I turned off the furnace at the circuit breaker, opened up the furnace, took off the old thermostat and low and behold, the blue wire was there - just not hooked up. I wired it correctly, installed the new wifi thermostat, and thought I was good to go.
The unit powered on, I set up the time and date, and right away it was blinking "connection failed." I looked over and over the quick start guide, and through and through the user's guide, and searched all I could online for something to fix this. I tried unhooking the unit, rebooting my modem, creating a new wireless network - many times. I thought it was going to be a lost cause and that I'd have to unhook it all and return it. But once again, on a whim, I went into the settings (holding the "Hold" button and second from the left button for three seconds) and I went to setting 39 - the wireless connection. There are two settings: 1 for on and 0 for off. I switched it to 0 to disconnect and the unit immediately went into "Wifi Setup." I followed the steps in the guides from there and was completely set up in ten minutes. I can now check on the heating/cooling status from a computer and/or iPhone. The programming of the thermostat was simple as well because you can do it right on the computer or phone app.

All in all, good investment....if it continues to stay connected. I'll try to update in the future.

UPDATE 1/04/14:
Still one of the best investments I've ever made for the house. The unit has never disconnected on me and we were able to check home temperature settings from as far away as the coast of Oregon (live in Wisconsin) while on a road trip. Now we're in the middle of a deep freeze here in the Midwest and it is awesome to be in bed and if feeling a little chilly, just step up the degrees and fall back asleep. Can't recommend enough.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2013
Once I got the Wi-Fi setup fixed, the thermostat (T-Stat) is working well. It is connected to my network with a Linksys E2500 router

Issues with Wi-Fi setup:
I followed the instructions that came with the T-Stat and was unable to connect to my network. The symptoms were:
- I had the T-Stat working manually
- I had a flashing Wi-Fi Setup on the T- Stat
- I was able to see my network.
- When I clicked on my network, the T-Stat display would change to solid "Wi-Fi Setup", blinking "Wait", on other data on the T-Stat
- T-Stat would never go from blinking "Wait to "Connection Success"

I worked with Honeywell tech support and Linksys Tech support for about 5 hours and finally it turned out to be a bad T-Stat. I swapped out the T-Stat and everything started to work.

Some notes during troubleshooting that may help you:
1) Make sure your router network password does not have any special characters, use only capital, small letters and numbers.
2) Make sure you do not have your router security set for MIXED. Make sure the router id set for WPA2 AES. Here is how to get into the router setup: [...]
3) You may have to open port 443 on your router. Here are directions: [...]
4) If you do not see your network to connect when enabling the Wi-Fi Setup, hit the rescan button at the bottom of the screen.
5) to Reset the Wi-Fi setup on the T-Stat, hold the FAN button (second button from the left) and the up arrow together. This will get you into the configuration of the T-Stat. Hit the next button until you get to 39 1. Use the arrow button and change the 1 to a 0. Then nit the done button. This will allow you to reconnect to the Wi-Fi Setup.

I hope some of this helps you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
I am not sure what all the problems are, but I would guess user error. I had to contact Honeywell CS 1 time prior to purchasing just to make sure my unit would support it without the loss of my manual fan option, they were super nice and told me exactly what to do with what wires so I could use the extra unused wire I had in my box as the C wire without losing my fan only option. It installed in about 5 mins after I reconnected the unused wire at the furnace unit. I connected right to the thermostat with my iPhone browser and did the wifi setup in about 2 mins. I have not had one connection problem yet and have not had to do anything with it except for one time the power was out for an extended time and when I got home it was not connected. I just snapped the plate off for a minute and then put it back on and it connected right away. The iPhone interface is super easy to use and very helpful. The web interface makes it very very easy to set up your schedule and i have not any complaints about it yet, except for if they start to charge for it like they say they do have the option to do in the future, we shall see in time. I had an old budget 7 day thermostat that you had to stand there and punch in all the daily sections and set start and stop times and set the temp for each one on the keypad, that was a total pain compared to this and I don't know how I have lived without this so far. I am a single guy and rarely here so this really helps me cut down on wasted heating and cooling. Feel free to respond to this if you want to know something about how this is working out for me!