Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on September 5, 2006
I purchased this unit to replace an old rotary-style thermostat. This works very well with our central-air system. Setup allows you two programs: M-F and Sat-Sun

For each program, you can specify Four Temperatures and their respective times:

1. Temp at wakeup (wake)

2. Temp during the day (leave)

3. Temp in evening (return)

4. Temp for overnight (sleep)

This was fairly easy to install as a replacement for our old unit- fasten wall plate onto wall, insert wire leads into well labeled connectors, insert included backup battery, snap main unit into wall plate, viola!
on December 28, 2010
After changing the batteries on the unit, the unit stopped working correctly . After trouble shooting on my own and reading up online, it was very clear it was the motherboard. I called honeywell, and they said the installing plumbing contractor would have to be called ( 80$ service call NOT to be covered under the 5 year warranty) in order for the licensed contractor who originally purchased the unit would have to be the one to file a claim. What if they are no longer in business! I told them I would happily pay for the replacement cost, but they said they could do nothing without the contractor calling and the contractor can't call unless they come out for a 80$ service call. Now that I know this "racket" , I would like everyone to know to ask their heating contractor to put in a "non-professional" thermostat that can be purchased at home depot , lowes , etc. That way i can serviced by you without the expensive service calls. I think Honeywell could have given me a chance to just get a new faceplate. They were unfriendly about it as well. Stay away from any models that start in TH and go for the PTH and save a lot of time and money.
on April 11, 2010
I bought this to replace a previous Honeywell thermostat:
[...]
that went flaky on me after about 4 years.

I was initially reluctant to buy another Honeywell, but after reading reviews decided that maybe this was the best choice for me. The convincing factor for me is that this is from the "Pro" line, so it comes with a 5 year warranty. Although I have no clue if that means that it's built any better or with any better quality components or not.

I'm not really sure what makes it a "Pro". They don't actually intend for it to be sold to anyone but contractors, which is somewhat absurd imho. There are a lot of settings that I don't necessarily care about, and going through them requires a somewhat non-intuitive setup phase (that you probably won't be able to figure out without a manual). So maybe that's the reason. But once you have it set up, the basic operation (including changing program values) is reasonable simple and intuitive and just like any other programmable digital thermostat that I've used.

I was a bit wary of the AIR (Adaptive Intelligent Recovery) feature, where the thermostat doesn't turn on when you set it, but instead tries to predict when it ought to turn on to be at the selected temperature at the selected time. Sounds like something that sounds great in theory, but might be flaky in practice. Esp. since one of the reviewers complained about it, as well as getting no help from customer service in trying to disable the feature. I decided that I was only going to buy the thermostat if this could be disabled. But the owner's manual gave no info about how to do that.

So I called customer service. I got a reasonably helpful person who was not an idiot and could speak English. (And when I asked a question he didn't know the answer to, he didn't just make something up -- he put me on hold and found someone else that knew the answer.) Anyway, the bottom line is that yes you *can* disable this. While the owner's manual doesn't cover this, the installation guide does. While these both come with the thermostat, they are also both available online. The owner's manual is here:
[...]
Fwiw, selection 0 in setup function 13 turns AIR off.
I can't speak to how well the AIR does or does not work, since I just disabled it during setup.

So far it seems to work, although I don't really have too many things I'm looking for in a thermostat. (Although it does improve upon my previous model in various respects, like having a backlight, and having a more informative display, and not requiring removing the panel to program it, and actually doing the right thing when you set a temporary temperature by keeping that valid until the next program change.)

I do have a few minor complaints about the physical design. I would like to see a few more holes in the backing plastic piece to give you some more options wrt where to mount the thermostat and where to run the wires. I had a few constraints relative to my existing installation, so I ended up using the existing left mount hole as is; ignoring the hole for running the wires; using the right mount hole for running the wires; and drilling a new hole for the second mount hole. Not a huge deal, but I could understand if some people would be nervous about drilling into the plastic. Also, I was able to run my wires through the small mount hole b/c I only have a 2 wire system. For a more complicated system, that might not have worked and I might have had to drill a larger hole.

Also, it's a bit of an effort to remove the main unit from the base, which is necessary to change the batteries. I'm nervous that that will put excessive stress where the unit is mounted into the plaster. I guess I'll just have to try to be as gentle as possible.
on December 12, 2010
The value is excellent, and it's fairly easy to install. We have one of these for our upstairs unit and it works well. Configuration is intuitive and the backlight automatically turns off after a fairly short timer. It allows 4 time slots for M-F and 4 time slots for S-S. This does not auto-switch between heat and cool, but otherwise, its' great.

The "Adaptive Intelligent Recovery" is kind of annoying. To turn it off, hold both up and down arrows to go into config mode. Cursor UP to get to function 13, and cursor DOWN to change it to ZERO for off. Then hold both buttons again to exit and save.

This unit uses a couple of AA batteries, or it can use the C (common) line from your AC's transformer. Batteries last 9-12 months in this.

The manual is decent, but this version forgets to have you label the old thermostat wires before you disconnect the old thermostat. This model isn't directly listed anymore, and seems to be replaced by RTH4300B; however, Honeywell still has its manuals online. I'm not sure if Amazon will scrub URLs or not, so here they are expanded and linky:

Installation manual:

Operating manual:

Sales Slick:
[...]
55 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2015
We used to have an old thermostat that worked with a little tube of mercury. When the house got too hot, we would turn the thermostat down one degree and the air conditioner would run, and run, until it got chilly. Then we would turn the thermostat up one degree and start the cycle over.

I couldn’t believe the improvement when we got this Honeywell thermostat. It was as if we had no thermostat or air conditioner at all — the house simply stayed at the same temperature, effortlessly.

One of the great features of this thermostat is what they call “Adaptive Intelligent Recovery.” You can turn this feature off if you don’t want it, but that would be a mistake. It works like this. Suppose you want to turn the temperature low at night, but you want it to be 70 degrees at 6:30 a.m. In the fall, when it’s not too cold, you might set the program for 70 degrees at 6:15, figuring that fifteen minutes is long enough to reach that temperature. But in December, fifteen minutes would not be enough and you would have to change your program to be comfortable at 6:30 a.m. With the “Adaptive Intelligent Recovery” you don’t have to change the program several times a year because the thermostat learns from experience how much time it needs to reach a certain temperature, and it gives itself lead time accordingly. When it’s really cold, the heat might come on 60 or even 90 minutes beforehand to reach the right temperature at the time you set, and this is automatic, without having to change the settings.

You will do yourself a big favor by getting one of these thermostats, if you don’t already have one.
on October 8, 2015
This device should be great for a typical household, even though it's next to useless for us (I think).

Pros:
* If you have a Honeywell unit already -- and they're so common -- installing this takes less than 2 minutes. It comes in 2 parts, front and back. Normally, you'd thread the wires through a hole in the back part, and screw it onto the wall. If you have a Honeywell thermostat already, you may find that the back part of your old thermostat is the same as the new one. I didn't need to screw anything. I know that I should have turned off the power at the circuit breaker, but I didn't touch any wires, and just plugged it in. It worked, immediately. The longest part of installing was putting the back-up batteries in.

If you do need installation instructions, they're here: [...]
* Programming it is easy. You can do it without looking at the manual, but if you want it, it's online: [...]
* There are even EZ instructions that you can print. There's a slot in the thermostat where you can insert them, and slide them out when you want. See: [...]
* It includes two AA batteries, which work either to power the unit, or if you're going to use the power from the house, serve as battery backup in case of outage, so your settings don't disappear.

Cons:
* It assumes a pretty simple schedule. If your people have different sleeping or working schedules, then you won't be able to program all that. This device is too simplistic.

What it does allow for are 4 time periods per day: Wake, Leave, Return and Sleep. Those 4 time periods must be identical Monday through Friday. Weekends can be different, but you're still limited to those 4 periods, and Saturday & Sunday must be your weekend (or you'll need to remember that each day shown on screen is really a different day, if your weekend begins on Wednesday, as mine does). Saturday's schedule is the same as Sunday's. So this is a 5-2 programmable, not a 5-1-1.

Do most people have a Friday schedule the same as Thursday? Or Sunday night the same as Saturday night? What if you go to some regular event on Wednesdays? Probably I need a Raspberry Pi thermostat that I can design myself. Or a Nest.
on March 5, 2015
Works well with a basic 2-wire, steam boiler system, and has a nice display and buttons. But it appeared to have a long lag to register temperature changes, and doesn't have certain customization options such as temperature swing. These factors resulted in larger high/low temperature swings that I did not experience with my previous Lux, so I exchanged this for the Lux TX500Uc, which is about the same price but has a couple additional customization options, and seems to more quickly register and display the actual temperature.
on November 25, 2015
Replaced a smaller Carrier unit. The Carrier was overly complex, overloading too much function on too many buttons. This traditional thermostat is more intuitive, with simple sliders for fan and mode, and enough buttons to make programming straightforward.

If I were shopping again, I would look for one just like this, but with some sort of lockout feature. Some young males in my house (ahem, Dale and Jesse) don't understand that it is not good to turn off the program and call for ridiculously low temperatures during Houston summers...
on December 1, 2014
This thermostat was purchased for my 93 year old mother who has difficulty seeing the old lever type thermostat. When she was cold she would crank it up and then too warm - shut it off - not knowing what setting it was actually at. If she went away from home for a few hours walking she would shut it off (trying to save another dime). When returning turn it on - making no sense. Against her wishes, when I proposed this purchase, (she doesn't want to spend a dime) I ordered this thermostat and told her to give it a month and if she doesn't like it I will put the old one back. She loves it ! ! Now the house is heated in a uniform way and is much more comfortable when I come to visit - not too hot. I explained to her that this was a much more energy efficient (less expensive which she is all for, lol) way to manage her heat.
The thermostat was easy to program and easy to hook up the two wires necessary (in this case). If you look at the letter designations on the old thermostat and hook the wires to the same letter designated (place on the new one) you won't go wrong
on May 26, 2014
I'll be honest -- I consider myself a high tech person. I work in the tech industry as a developer and I love buying new gadgets. But one of the things I don't consider needed is the trend we have with "smart" thermostat.
I happened to need to upgrade my thermostat from an old one with my current house recently, and I thought about getting Nest or one of the competitor products (even one from Honeywell themselves). I just found the idea of a thermostat adjusting its temperatures by predicting what I want not necessary and not reliable. (mostly since the scheduling of my life is so unpredictable even to myself)
There is really only one thing I need in my thermostat (aside from being able to turn it on) -- to schedule it to turn on in the morning when I go to sleep at night. I live in the SF bay area where it could be 70F the evening before and 55F the next morning and it's a regular thing. Having the heater turn on itself in the morning is a godsend. And I hate turning on the heater when I am sleeping -- it wakes me up. (which makes it perfect as an alarm clock for the morning)
This thermostat, can do exactly this reliably, and only costs literally a fraction of the price of Nest or any other smart thermostat. I will choose this any day.