5.0 out of 5 stars Nice thermostat
Published on March 29, 2006 by Luigi Semenzato

3.0 out of 5 stars Honeywell thermostats
Published on January 17, 2008 by Sumer Pek

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice thermostat, March 29, 2006
This model has a number of good features for the price, including the ability to optionally get its power externally (and use the battery only for back-up), the backlit display, easy battery replacement, and the so-called "adaptive intelligent recovery", which means that the thermostat learns how long it takes to raise the temperature by a certain amount, and will start the heater earlier than specified to ensure that the requested temperature is reached at the requested time (this feature may be turned off). The manuals are good and installation is easy.

This thermostat's main flaw, which is common to many thermostats, is that it clicks whenever it turns heat (or cool) on or off. It is aesthetically pleasing, although I wish it were a bit thinner (it's slightly over 1.5" thick). Be aware that although the thermostat is truly 5-1-1 (weekday, Sat, Sun programs), it comes from the factory in 5-2 mode (weekday and week-end programs), which is what most people will want anyhow. The installation manual explains how to change between 5-2 and 5-1-1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have done it earlier, January 3, 2007
Daniel Pappalardo "Dan" (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted a programmable for a long time, and moving to a new house was just the push I needed. Installation took me less than an hour, even at my relaxed pace. Operation is simpler than older (>4 years) models I've seen.

Not sure if this is clear in the specs here, but you get 4 "phases" per day. WAKE, LEAVE, RETURN, NIGHT (I made those names up but you get the idea). Also the way these things work is if you set WAKE at 7 AM to be 70F, then the unit will do what it takes to make it 70F by 7 AM, so it starts maybe 15 minutes before the time setpoint and it learns how long it took and adapts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice thermostat, annoying clicking, October 13, 2006
Stefan Strahlberg (Toronto, Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
The FocusPro 6000 is a good thermostat, very easy to program, and with an attractive design. It could be slightly thinner, though - at almost 1-1/2" it protrudes a bit too much from the wall.

At any time a programmed temperature can be manually overidden - temporarily until the next program phase (e.g. Sleep) kicks in, or permanently - until the override is released.

I am, however, annoyed by the clicking sound the thermostat makes when it switches on and off. I replaced an old manual plain vanilla Honeywell thermostat and that didn't use to click. I'll see if I get used to the clicking, I don't rule out looking for a different thermostat just because of this clicking. I've seen some soundproof models on the market.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honeywell thermostats, January 17, 2008
It is a fine programmable thermostat. However, the thermostat depends solely on the batteries it comes with; It is unable to receive power from the heating/cooling system's 24V transformer, unless the existing system has 5 wires rather than the standard 4 wires. So, if batteries run out without the owner noticing it, and the house is left vacant for a length of time in the middle of winter, a crisis may result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, November 8, 2007
I wanted a unit that had a backlight so I could see what the story was without shining a little flashlight on it. The large display is great also.
I only got this for heating so it was just 2 wires. One of my wires was spliced using a different color but it didn't hurt anything when I initially put it in the wrong slot.
I was surprised to see that you program this unit because it seems to cover all the heating/cooling/fan variations that exist. Easy to do.
Another nice tech advancement is it learning your environment so that it does not short cycle to keep a constant temperature.
Controls are intuitive and you can learn it all in a minute by just playing with it.
We don't sit by the unit so the click other people complain about is not a problem. I don't think it's so loud and I like knowing when it turns on and off. If I know it just turned off and I want to feel warmer, I know to get up and override the schedule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'stat but be careful where you buy, March 16, 2008
Honeywell TH6110D1021 FocusPro 6000 5-1-1 large display prog digital thermostat heating cooling

I replaced my c. 1995 Honeywell mercury switch with this model and can only praise it for its functionality, appearance, ease-of-use, and easy change out. Indeed, the I used the same screws used for my other 'stat and the wiring was a snap. I believe that mine is powered by the furnace's 24v transformer with a battery back-up. Operation and programming are simple, and intuitive programming is a snap. I particularly like the ability to fine tune 4 periods/day with separate times and temperatures. A small gripe is that I don't know where to put the supplied reference card although I don't really need it.

One caveat is that several vendors sell the same unit. I would search using the exact model # in order to find all of the vendors available. Since Amazon does not sell this one itself, it pays to check each vendor's return policy, which can vary greatly. Some charge a high restocking fee and some appear to discourage returns. I ordered mine from Apex Controls which was a "sponsored link". It cost $50 as opposed to ~$65 on the major vendors. They sent mine in 2 days in perfect condition, plus they appear to have a fair return policy. I also didn't like to adaptive option since it assumes that it always starts from the same temperature, which is not our case. I just programmed it to switch on 15' prior to when we needed it.

Honeywell also sells a unit that is identical except for a smaller screen. The big screen model is useful if you wear glasses and need to see the readout.

I have read complaints about some models that make a loud click. This one clicks but it is inaudible more than 2-3 feet away, unless your house is completely silent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 22, 2007
Easy to use, easy to install.

Nice features: different weekday and Sat-Sun settings, easy
to program, easy to read.

I bought this model because it can optionally be powered
from the low-voltage feed from the heater/A/C unit, so
the batteries are only for backup.
Also, I had an old programmable Honeywell, and this
one fit right in place - same screw holes worked fine.

Only (minor) negative - the clock runs a little fast, but that's
not important. So the heat comes on at 8:15 one month and 8:16
two months later... I have to reset the clock every 6 months anyway.
(I have similar problems with lots of clocks. More accuracy could
be had for a small additional cost.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect., December 28, 2007
I like this thermostat, but it's not the perfect one for warmer climates like here in Florida. Reason? One, you cannot set it for automatic switching between cooling and heating unless the heating temp. is at least three degrees above the cooling temp. We like to have the overnight heating temp. two degrees BELOW the daytime cooling temp., and in the winter, when it's cool at night and hot during the day, it must switch to heat mode at least three deg. HIGHER than where you have set the cooling temperature during the day. Bummer. The thermostat does keep the temp. at a very narrow one degree or less difference, but 77 degrees when cooling feels colder than 77 degrees when heating. (humidity) Therefore, I must switch from cooling during the day to heating at night, and change the temperature setting each time (it automatically sets the three degrees difference even when on HOLD). If you live in a colder climate though, it would work very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consumer Reports Correctly Rated This Excellent!, December 25, 2008
This review is from: Honeywell TH6110D1021 FocusPro Programmable Digital Thermostat (Tools & Home Improvement)
I consult Consumer Reports on any major purchase and electronics. They have a strong track record with me. I bought this thermostat after reading their report. It performs flawlessly. As other reviews said, there is a 3 degree "dead zone" between heat and cool if you use the "Auto Changeover" setting (which I use). It does not impact my comfort at all. If you prefer the manual change over from heat to cool, the 3 degree does not apply. Highly recommend this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, November 12, 2012
ZeroCool (Si Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
I started looking online for thermostats after being disappointed in the collection available in local stores. I ended up selecting this product because:

1) It can be run off the common power wire (which I recently installed myself specifically for this reason) so I never need to worry about replacing batteries ever. It also backs up the programmed schedule in memory, so on a power-cut you will only need to enter the day/time again. The thermostat also goes into OFF mode (no heating or cooling) after a power-cut which might be a problem for some people living in freeze prone areas.
2) The interface is more intuitive and easier to use than most others. Only thing you need to know is that pressing a button does what the text written above it says, if you have used an ATM you should already know that. The arrow keys and the hold button similarly should also make sense to most people. This makes it better than other similar looking cheaper non-FocusPro Honeywell models.
3) The backlight is just the right amount of brightness (see customer product photo for example)
4) The three modes it runs in match my needs perfectly: a)run schedule, b)temporary override till the next schedule change, c)hold setting overriding schedule change.
5) The clicking sound of the relays inside the thermostat is normal in a thermostat and does not bother me. The relays in my furnace are much louder anyway so this is a non issue.

The only reason I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is because the keycaps on the button tend to stick when pressing them. I am hoping that goes away with use but I notice it every time I use the thermostat and it feels as if the keys are old and worn out.