on May 31, 2012
This is my second thermostat. I bought this unit to replace the exact same unit that had the touch screen fail. Honeywell will replace it for free under the 5 year warranty, but it needs to be returned by a certified Honeywell installer. The unit will cost $100 to have installed by an installer even though all that needs to be done now is pop into the same bracket on the wall, so I am doing this myself and keeping the original as a spare. It seems this is a common issue with the unit that Honeywell should honor as a return by the customer rather than a certified installer. It certainly is not the installation that has caused this failure but rather a part manufacturer quality defect. This is supposed to be one of the best thermostats they produce (and it was 3 years ago). I am a little disappointed that I had to fork over so much to fix a known issue. At the very least, Honeywell could offer a touchscreen replacement rather than forcing the sale of the complete thermostat. (other vendors offer such a solution at a far lower cost)
I like the thermostat, but not the overall quality; therefore I can only give this 3 stars.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2010
Honeywell thermostats are amongst the best available for the home. I got the 9421 thermostat as part of a new heat/air package installation and am very pleased with the choice my installer made. As with many programmable thermostats this thermostat has the ability for individual day settings and two or four periods during the day for wake, leave , return and sleep. Programmable thermostats save a considerable amount of energy vs those with only a single setting. The cost of this thermostat can be recouped several times over during a single cooling season.

One nice feature is the ability to have the thermostat automatically switch between heat and cool. Because of this feature heat and cool set points must be at least 3 degrees Fahrenheit apart. If you don't want this feature, you can opt to switch between heat and cool programs manually.

I have found that compared to other brands of thermostat the Honeywell is *so* much easier to program. One feature that is missing however is a 'cheat sheet' attached to the thermostat itself as one finds on some other thermostats. This means you better keep the manual safe for programming advanced features. Honeywell thermostats automatically change time as a result of daylight savings time. The need to re-program as often is therefore eliminated.

The control panel can be locked out from tampering. Especially nice is that lockout can be set to two different levels. Total lockout, or partial lockout where only current program cycle temperatures can be overridden. Temperatures revert back to program settings when new daytime period occurs.

There are many 'advanced features' available through a special 'hidden' menu option. One such feature I like is the ability to set the thermostat to display time as a 24-hour clock.

The 8000 and 9000 model thermostats share the same basic features and menu controls. Where the 9000 thermostat differs from 8000 models is the addition of extra features such as

Rechargeable lithium backup battery vs 3 AAA alkaline batteries in 8000.
Ventilation Control - Home ventilation from 20 minutes up to 180 minutes.
Back-light control - Ability to optionally keep back-light on at low light level at all times. 8000 series dim out with no option to leave on.
Ability to switch adaptive intelligent recovery off. 8000 series this feature is always active. (Potential energy savings).
Additional furnace filter reminder settings. There are extra run time set points plus the addition of calendar days.
Restore energy star schedule advanced function.
Outdoor temperature display.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
This is my second one. The first one lasted about 9 months, then the humidity sensor failed. I inspected the circuit board and it had quite a bit of corrosion. After cleaning some of the corrosion off, some of the functionality which hadn't been working came back to life (such as the backlight & temperature sensing). I could never restore the humidistat, so I bought another one. The new one worked well, except now it doesn't "come to life" on the first touch. You actually have to touch it several times before it lights up and starts responding. This is odd because the first one didn't do this.

One other complaint is that the detailed setting menu has a lot of features in the book which aren't actually in the menu on the device. Some of the settings are things you would expect to be there based on the features of the thermostat. I assume they aren't there because the manual covers more than just this model and other models have additional capability.

One final installation note is that I spent like 10 hours installing this and checking the wiring. I couldn't get the thing to power up and I thought it was a wiring issue. The real issue was that the screen wasn't positioned quite right in the case and I guess it wasn't grounding properly. It became a routine that every time I took it off the wall I had to slap it again my hand to "set" the screen and then put it back on. If I didn't slap it around the screen would not light. Weird, eh?

When working, it's a nice device. Recently I've been comparing the humidity reading to a portable humidistat and there is a 5% difference (the Honeywell is 5% higher). I actually trust the portable unit more than the Honeywell. It's still precise even if it's not acurate so it's ok for me (it is always a 5% difference).

I looked into getting this replaced under warranty and here is the story. You can get it replaced under warranty ONLY IF you have the warranty claimed by one of Honeywell's authorized installers. The unit will then be free to you, but the installer will charge you $100 - $150 to install it (if they didn't provide you the first one). So it's kind of a wash if it goes bad. I just bought a new one myself and slapped it on the wall. This isn't a complicated installation, but for a guy to drive out, risk a lot of trouble shooting, and order the part you for....well don't expect it to be free or cheap.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2010
What a splendid device! As an electrical engineer, I wholeheartedly endorse this product. In my house it now controls the humidifier, the whole-house ventilator -- and, more prosaically, the furnace and the air conditioner. That's all from one simple-looking package mounted in the hall, with adjustable backlighting even. I have it set so that it functions as a nightlight, but that's just a byproduct of my not wanting to squint or turn on the hall light to see what the LCD screen says. The menus are simple and natural, and the degree of system control is most gratifying. The homeowner (or his wife) can specify whether the ventilator is permitted to run during sleep time, for just one example.

The installation instructions are written so clearly that even a PhD engineer can do it! Nicely, they are separated into Installer and Homeowner levels, so that the homeowner (or his wife, in this case) can't accidentally screw up the installation's intimate details that don't need day-to-day attention. That's house things like square footage, number of bedrooms, etc. It's also technical items like number and types of heating and cooling units (e.g. fossil fuel, electric, heat pump), ventilator's capacity, whether an outside temperature module is included, at what intervals you want to be alerted that it's time to change the filter or humidifier pad, and a welter of other twiddle-knobs to keep a tech-type happy.

I bought this through Plumbing Planet with the decision based in part on their satisfaction scores with Amazon customers. I give them very high marks in that regard -- the package arrived on the stated schedule, and it was most professionally packaged. I liked that they included instructions for the thermostat's return, should I have wished to, and in marked difference to other suppliers, they do not require a RMA, or "return materials authorization". That speaks of confidence in their own products.

I like to shop locally rather than with distant suppliers, and I'll pay a premium to do so. It adds to my local economy, and significantly it keeps in business the folks whom I can go ask questions of and are more motivated to stand behind their product. For this purchase, however, they could not come within my range of $100 over the price I got from Plumbing Planet. PP sold me this unit for less than my local supplier can buy it direct from Honeywell. We are all puzzled, but it is true.

In summary: I am very pleased and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2014
We had this unit professionally installed with a 3 year in home warranty from the installer. Six months after the warranty period ended the touchscreen stopped working at all. At first I thought it might be "locked" which is a feature, but spent the better part of a Saturday afternoon trying to unlock it to no avail.

I'm loath to buy another unit to replace it as I've seen several people respond to the questions for this unit with the same problem... dead touchscreen.
VINE VOICEon April 11, 2014
The Honeywell IAQ is the very top-end of their non-luxury line ("non-luxury" in that it doesn't have a fancy color screen, you can't dial into it remotely, etc.) Like all Honeywell stats, it provides excellent comfort control.

This is a VERY versatile thermostat that can act as a "hub" for multiple zones, a humidifier, dehumidifier, and ventilation system, and it will control virtually very furnace that's not one of the new "communicating" types. Even if you don't have all those fancy accessories, the advantage it has over the VisionPro 8000 series is that it can slow down the blower in a variable speed furnace (if you have a variable speed furnace, and it has a low-speed fan terminal.)

If you do not have a variable speed furnace, and you do not have any equipment other than a Furnace, A/C, or Heat Pump, then this thermostat is overkill, and you'll be just find with the Vision Pro 8k series.

If you sit down and stare at the wiring diagrams and installation guide (and the install guide for your furnace) for a couple of hours, you can probably figure out how to physically install it, and if you have a conventional furnace / A/C you are probably good to go. If you have a heat pump, I recommend you have a pro do the installation; there are too many settings for which a DIY is simply not going to know the correct answer. An incorrect answer won't break your heat pump, but it may cause it to run inefficiently.

Also note that this unit will not have any warranty if purchased here; I don't blame Honeywell for this, as there are far too many configurations that this thermostat is designed for that are beyond the abilities of most homeowners.

I had one of these installed as part of a recent furnace installation, and it is something I could have done myself, but that won't apply to everybody.
on May 10, 2011
Great thermostat.

However, after 2 years the the right half of the screen froze. The AC repair guy said that this happens frequently. He recommended to be careful and don't use wet fingers. I don't know if that was the actual cause in my case.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2014
I'm giving this one star because I missed the fine print that: "Thermostat requires the Equipment Interface Module or EnviraZONE panel MFG#THM5421C1008 (not included)." Very upset that what looked like a cost effective model for controlling humidity is NOT. Same price as the Nest with the module . . .
on April 8, 2015
As others have pointed out, my touchscreen stopped working after about 6 years on the left side of the screen. I could not change fan or system settings and could not place a "permanent hold" on the room temperature.. I ordered the exact same model number with the hope that I could just replace it and be done. That is when I discovered that my HVAC system was much more sophisticated than the preset codes entered at the factory. If you have a heat pump, a two-stage compressor, an auxiliary furnace with a variable speed fan, a dehumidifier, a ventilation system or other unique features, you must change a number of the preset codes for the thermostat to operate your heating and cooling system properly.

I still had the Honeywell "Installation Guide" that came with the thermostat when it was professionally installed in 2008. The guide listed all the setup code numbers (approx. 70 which includes the 17 codes listed in the Operating Manual) along with their multiple choice settings and options (with the factory default settings in bold print). So I knew if I could bring up the code settings that had been entered by the professional installer in the old thermostat, I could then change the code settings in the new thermostat to the correct ones for my system. But the first step in bringing up the codes was to activate the "SYSTEM" window on the touchscreen which, of course, was not working. That's when my lovely wife came to my rescue. She suggested I try heating up the touchscreen with the warm air setting on her hair dryer. I thought "what"?????? IT WORKED!!!!!!

Once the "SYSTEM" window (left side of screen) is activated, seven (mostly blank) windows will appear at the bottom of the screen. By simultaneously placing one finger each on window number 3 and number 5 (counting from either end) and holding for 5 seconds, the first setup code (0110) appears on screen along with the setting number (right side of screen). Both the code number and the setting number have up and down arrows for scrolling. By using paper and pencil, one can write down the code number and its corresponding correct answer (setting). Then just scroll up to bring up the next code number (0120) and its setting and keep on going until you have recorded all 70 or so code settings (last one is 0710). After this has been completed, unplug the old thermostat and plug in the new one, bring up the codes as described above and go to each code and change any setting that needs to be corrected for your particular system. Most will remain unchanged. Keep your paperwork for future reference.

Hope the above works as well for you as it did for me. Later, DickC
on December 19, 2011
I had (I think this is the model) installed with my Aprilaire humidifier. I had an old portable Honeywell twin tank humidifier I bought from Montgomery Wards ... yeah, I know ... lol Long gone but hey I got like 15+ years from that! Well, it all shot craps and here I am looking for a new one and nothing has good or even decent reviews. ARGH! So I decide to go with a furnace set up but I need a (well, recommended)that I get this thermostate. It rocks! I hope I do as well with this set up. haha I love the humidity in the winter, my sinuses and hard wood floors need it ... food for thought if you have any wood that you care for, your furnace dries out the air! It's easy to program, lots of choices, everyday ... program it the way you live! I am sure it will do more once I get the manual out and actually read it .. the display for now is dimmly lit all the time and a bit annoying at first outside my bedroom, but I notice that hey its enough light to make it to the bathroom if nature calls and not have to turn on additional lights. I hope it lasts, I had an old "chronotherm" and it worked, just not all the options and features this unit has. If you are thinking of getting a humidifier or have one ... this is it. A must have for hardwood floors! I only wish that the humidity was in single degrees and not 5's, 40% is OK and 45% too much ... my windows start frosting up :) I have had it a month and so far like it. I will have to see if it lowers my utility bills. I'll try to come back and say what there is to say. I am soooo enjoying not having to fill two gallon and a half containers for the humifier every other day or so ... Sweet!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations