4.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Around Comes Around
Published on January 3, 2011 by Donnica Carter

2.0 out of 5 stars Please put the Black's to bed
Published on April 1, 2011 by kslmbuggie

4.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Around Comes Around, January 3, 2011
The Blacks are back in LOVE, HONOR, AND BETRAYAL by Kimberla Lawson Roby. Only this time it is not Reverend Curtis Black that is doing all the dirt; it is his third wife, Charlotte. Curtis's mistress passes away and leaves their two-year old daughter, Curtina, for him to raise. Charlotte is NOT happy about becoming a step-mother to his illegitimate daughter. Who cares about the fact that she got pregnant outside of their marriage and tried to pass off that daughter as his?? Curtis thinks that they will go on living the perfect family life with this new addition, but Charlotte is not having it. And when she tells Curtis he must make a decision between her and his daughter, he chooses Curtina with no hesitation. This only sends Charlotte into the arms of another man. She finds an ex-boyfriend on Facebook and begins a whirlwind affair with him. Meanwhile, Charlotte is treating Curtina like she does not even exist and Curtis is not having it. With women constantly throwing themselves at him, he has to choose to stay faithful to Charlotte or turn back to his old ways.

Roby always seems to find a twist to this crazy Black family. Charlotte is more than unlikeable and you cannot even begin to sympathize with her. Although, you do kind of giggle inside that Curtis is getting what he used to dish out. It is a very fast read and definitely a page-turner. For all those still loving this Black saga, you will not be disappointed. And it does not appear that this will be the end either.

This book was provided courtesy of the author for review.

Donnica Copeland
APOOO BookClub
Sista Talk Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Old Habits Die Hard?, February 6, 2011
In "Love, Honor and Betray," the latest installment in the Black series, we revisit with world renowned pastor Curtis Black. Life is good in the Black household, for now. Things change quickly when Curtis's two-year-old daughter Curtina comes to live full-time with him and his family. Curtis's wife, Charlotte, is adamant about Curtina living in their household; Curtis is equally adamant that she remain with them. The longer Curtina lives in their household, the more Charlotte comes to resent, mistreat and dislike the child. Will Charlotte ever warm up to Curtina?

Tension in the Black household is at an all time high. Curtis has always been tempted by the beautiful women in the congregation, but, as of late, he has been staying true to his wedding vows by remaining faithful to Charlotte. With the daily pressure Curtis is faced with, will he revert back to old habits? Or has he completely changed his colors, keeping his selfish wants in check?

Charlotte is not so innocent herself. She's committed several indiscretions in their marriage as well. Will the problems that begin to occur daily in the household make Charlotte return to her old tricks?

A sense of déjà vu begins to overtake the Black household.

I was so pleased to be able to read and review "Love, Honor, and Betray." I have followed the Black series from the first novel in the series, "Casting the First Stone." Each installment is better, with more drama than the previous book. Each book always leaves the reader wanting more. It's so exciting to see how Curtis and Charlotte have grown and matured. In every novel Kimberla Lawson Roby pens, she gives her very best and it's evident when you read them. Filled with surprising twists and turns, "Love, Honor and Betray" will leave you breathless. By far, this is the best book in the series. Kudos, Kimberla!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, Honor, Betray, January 4, 2011
This is a book in a series, or not a series really, but many books that follow The Black Family. And I must say, I'm hooked. I plan to read the other books by Roby! I love the way the story flows and the atmosphere of the book. I kind of like the character Charlotte, though you also have to hate her. I'm not sure I like Curtis, though I might have to get to know him better in other books. This story gives you every emotion as you read and you'll not want to put it down until you are finished.

2.0 out of 5 stars Please put the Black's to bed, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Love, Honor, and Betray (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 8) (Kindle Edition)
I ordered this book January 25, 2011, and stopped reading it after struggling to get through it for a week. I finally started reading it again yesterday (March 31, 2011) and finished it. I love Kimberla Lawson Roby, but this subject matter and these characters have been beat to death! This is just the same book over and over again. How many times can this couple spend large sums of cash, cheat, and lie? The only difference in this book is that Curtis didn't cheat sexually (although he did in other ways) and he finally didn't have to step down from a church. I really think it is time to retire these characters. The way the story ended it seems like there will be yet another sequel, of which I definitely will not be purchasing.

If this is your first book by this author then you may enjoy it, but if you start at the beginning of the series you will certainly see what I am talking about. As a fan I am really disappointed, and hope for something new and better the next time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rev. Black is back!!, January 10, 2011
LOVE2READ "TJ" (HOME OF THE CRABS, MARYLAND) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Black family is still of the hook. Charlotte is up to her old tricks, however, this time she blames her actions on her 2 yr. old step-daughter. Charlotte is so jealous of Curtina that she blantly ignores the child to the point that Curtis gives his wife an option she can deal with it or not because Curtina isn't going anywhere. Charlotte is not happy and she lands herself in a terrible situation that Curtis is not willing to forget or forgive. A must read. Keep on writing about the Black family. Never a dull moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Page Turner!!!!!, January 9, 2011
Mrs. Roby has done it again in Love, Honor, and Betray. You will not be able to put this book down! I started reading this book at the local bookstore and could not stop reading it so I purchased it and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to complete it. I read this book in a day. There are so many twist and turns your head will be spinning. A true lesson I learned from this novel is a need to trust God in all circumstances. Often times we stray from His will but what would happen if we ALLOWED ourselves to be led by God in the first place in everything we do and not self? Whew!

Great job Mrs. Roby and continued success.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 11, 2011
I'm a huge fan of Kimberla Lawson Roby. I've read ALL of her books. I'm generally amazed and pleased with her work. Unfortunately I was really disappointed with the Love, Honor and Betray storyline. Having an adult show such hatred for a toddler was very unsettling, having a mother's teenage son catch her having an affair at a cheap hotel added no value (tasteless). This book had several disconnects that did not encourage the reader to want more. I think it's time to retire the Rev. Curtis Black series. I've noticed a recent trend with well-known African American authors releasing multiple books per year to keep up with the competition. In some cases the quality has suffered. I would love to see a new cast of characters from Mrs. Lawson Roby.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed - 3.5 Stars, January 18, 2011
Charlotte continues her trifling ways in the story of marriage woes. Curtis is being a stand up man by caring for his love affair child, Curtina. The family drama spills outside the home when Charlotte refuses to accept the baby & one night out drinking turns her life upside down. Curtis isn't a saint but time will only tell if he steps out on his marriage. The supporting characters add to the richness of the story - Matthew, Alicia, Agnes, Michael, Tom, Janine, Raven & Sharon. The side stories didn't always make since & parts of the storyline was very predictable. I would have loved to see more developed story with Sharon & I wanted Janine to be a real friend & call Charlotte out. The ending was rushed while the beginning was slow to develop. I was a little disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Old, Same Old., March 10, 2011
It's obvious that this series needs to be put to bed. "Love, Honor and Betray" is superfluous; it's just the same recyled plot as the other novels featuring Curtis Black and his family: illegitimate children and extra-marital affairs, the latter in which there's *always* a lover who blackmails the adulterer. Worse yet, Charlotte has not demonstrated any growth. She's the same immature and selfish woman she's been since she was eighteen. And while Curtis has seemed to change a little, he has the same problem with women who throw themselves at him (and usually have an agenda for doing so.) The result makes this novel - and her others - read like a soap opera.

Also, if this novel had explored new territory, I would have been able to overlook the amateurish writing. For example, there's a scene where Charlotte visits a friend. Instead of just saying she parked her car, Ms. Roby describes her taking the key out of the ignition, opening the car door, getting out, and closing the door. Minute, mundane details such as these just slow down the narrative. The author needs to have more faith in the intelligence of her readers and therefore leave stuff like this to the imagination.

I will admit that I didn't expect the ending, which obviously leaves room for yet another sequel. If this is the case I hope it offers something fresh and new to this saga. Otherwise, what's the point?

1.0 out of 5 stars Really?!, February 6, 2014
Joy Brooks (Newport News, VA, US) - See all my reviews
This selection was chosen by the book club in which I participate. I must admit that I would not have read past the first few pages on my own. The visceral hatred the main character Charlotte expresses repeatedly for her 2 year old step daughter and the couple's (a prominent Minister and First Lady) sordid assortment of adulterous affairs were nauseating to read about. Are we supposed to be so enamoured by the family's material wealth that we lose sight of their corrupt character? Come on people, is this the best we can do for reading entertainment!? Then again, my bad...what else should I have expected with this title?!