Honour Thy Father
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on December 28, 2009
Format: Paperback
This is quite a short book but it doesn't feel any the less because of it. I really enjoyed it and would put it amongst the best books I've read this year.

The story is about 4 elderly sisters who still live together in their family home. The time period covers a 24 hour period in the present day, but interspersed with flash-backs to memories of their childhoods. Right from the start there is a feeling of unease. Something is not right... I certainly don't want to spoil the story, but as the childhood memories progress and the events in the 24 hour present day progress, things are slowly unravelled and while I guessed some of things that were revealed there were plenty of surprises too. Glaister is highly skilled at giving this sense of unease and dread while slowing revealing why you are feeling that way.

One tip: My copy is a slighly different cover than this version, but don't read any reviews or summaries on the back cover. One on my copy gives away part of the story. Luckily I didn't read it till afterwards.

I've already ordered another book by the same author because I enjoyed reading this book so much.
Format: Kindle Edition
This is another welcome reissue, by the Murder Room, of an out of print, or hard to find, novels by some classic crime writers – in this case Lesley Glaister, who was ‘discovered’ by no less an author than Hilary Mantel in 1989. This is her first novel, which won both the Somerset Maugham and the Betty Trask Awards.

Honour Thy Father is a dark and unsettling book about four sisters – Agatha, the eldest, Milly, our narrator and the twins Ellen and Esther, who exist very much in a private and enclosed world of their own devising. When we are introduced to the sisters they are elderly and living in squalor in the family home, once ruled over by their father, now long dead. Gradually, we discover that things are not as they should be. Why is Milly so keen to count the knives before she puts them away and who, precisely, is George who is locked in the cellar?

Using both conversations between Agatha and Milly, plus flashbacks to the past, we gradually come to understand how the sisters have been left in their current situation – unmarried, dissatisfied, resentful and harbouring the darkest of secrets. This is an assured and well crafted debut and it is the first, but certainly not the last, novel I will read by Lesley Glaister.

Lastly, I received a copy of this book from the publishers, via NetGalley, for review.
on May 9, 1999
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Lesley Lesley Lesley! What can I say - Lesley Lesley Lesley.
The ramifications of the underlining sub-text lay your soul bare. read read read everything this woman has to offer.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations