Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: USB 3.0 Hub, HooToo 3 Port Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Converter for Windows XP Vista 7 8/8.1 PC Mac Linux laptop ultrabook High Performance Interface for Personal Business Gaming Black
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on August 25, 2014
I bought this mainly for the ethernet for my macbook air and the USB port is just a bonus. The quality is ok. You dont want to bend the wire too much or too often though. It can transfer files at a relatively high speed considering it is a 3.0 usb port but when I plug my wireless mouse/keyboard (logitech) I found it is not usable. There is simply to much latency for my mouse and keyboard to function normally. I tried a wireless mouse from another brand (Microsoft), still no luck. Strangely, it works ok when the mouse or keyboard is wired. Could have been a 4 star product if not for this. Still debating if I should just return this and get a mini wireless router instead.

Update:

After read the seller's reply, I did some research and I think he/she is right about the usb3 and 2.4 GHz device. So I did a little bit more research and found the following solution. To put it simple, you need to keep the receiver close to your device. Once that is achieved, the latency is gone. But my macbook air and lenovo Y410p both have usb3.0 and they have no problem handling the wireless mouse/keyboard I have. Like I said in my review, the USB is a bonus but comes with a price. I could have bought a cheaper one with ethernet port only. The only thing I will change here is that I will keep it but considering the quality, price and trouble it gave me, it is still a 3 star product to me.

on April 28, 2014
I've tested both on linux and on OS X, and they both are great performers. Only complaint would be that the driver included for OS X was on a mini dvd. I've yet to see a mac that can read one of those. Ended up downloading it off their website. Linux 3.13 included the kernel mod, so no need to use theirs.

user$ iperf3 -c remotemachine
[ 5] 0.00-10.10 sec 1.08 GBytes 923 Mbits/sec sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.10 sec 1.08 GBytes 923 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.
on November 9, 2014
I'm not sure if I received a bad item or a bad product, but there were a few problems with the unit I purchased a month ago.

First of all, there was something off about the Ethernet port. I found myself having to disconnect and reconnect the actual ethernet cable, and/or jiggle it around and hold it in place till connection was established. The connection was always quite finicky; if I moved my laptop around the room, it would sputter in and out. (The ethernet cable I used was a standard Amazon Ethernet cable: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7GVE/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1 )

Secondly, I found that after a few weeks of usage, my laptop would give me a "Installing new driver software" notification every time it was plugged in. Not sure what was going on there, but I was able to use the hub sans message for a while when I first received.

Lastly, and most disappointingly, THE ACTUAL USB CONNECTOR SNAPPED OFF OF THE HUB ITSELF. And this was after only 5 weeks of usage. I was shocked to learn that a product from such a reputable company was so poorly constructed to have broken so easily. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement of the matter. If I could return it, I would, but I don't think HooToo would accept the junk that they send out.

EDIT: 3/30/2015
HooToo expedited me a new unit! Great customer service! Will test the unit to see if this is anything like the last.
on January 2, 2014
The HooTOO Hub USB 3.09 with Ethernet, is a great gadget to throw to my backpack along with my Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
While I'm working I attached to the hub the ethernet cable, a USB 2.0 memory drive (4 GB) and a USB 2.0 external hard drive (650 GB). It worked flawlessly.

However when I tried to connect a USB 3.0 external hard drive (500 GB), as the only device attached to the HooToo HT-UE01, it didn't worked. I think it is because it shares the energy between the Eth adapter and the USB ports. That means that you cannot use any USB 3.0 device with the HUB, unless it is powered up by an external energy source. Still, a godd gadget to increase USB ports and ETH port to the Surface Pro.
on October 23, 2015
I was using this and loved it BUT then it stopped working. I'm pretty sure it was when I upgraded to El Capitan.

I would have given it 5 stars previously, but now that it needs drivers, it's not as friendly (us Apple people aren't used to needing drivers!). I don't think it's HooToo's fault, Apple probably made changes.

HooToo lists drivers on their support site, but they're not the most recent (they had version 2.4.0 on 10/22/2015).
I found version 2.6.0 here http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=131
It's possible the 2.4.0 drivers may work, but they're from Dec 2014 which is WAY before El Capitan came out, so I didn't even try them (I hate adding drivers so I thought I'd check, since removing them is actually harder!).
It's a pretty simple process, the instructions are VERY step-by-step so they look harder than they are (it'll take you longer to read it than do it).

If you do "About this Mac" under that Apple menu (choose USB) you can clear see the chipset for this hub is AX88179 and that ASIX makes it.
Also, if you download the 2.4.0 you can see the chipset information match the ASIX site chipset (they both contain identical instructions).
on January 19, 2014
Plugged into Ubuntu 1310, and worked perfectly right away. No additional drivers or installation necessary. The network interface configured automatically and the 3 ports work as expected.

I like the small size of the unit, given I've been moving to a smaller sized computer it's perfect: small and light, easy to haul around.

I suppose it would be better if there was an option for external power so that the three ports can be used for charging devices.
on April 13, 2014
I use this with my Surface Pro with windows pro 8.1. did not have to download driver, it worked as soon as I plugged it in. I regularly plug a 2TB WD passport external drive and smaller capacity flash drives when needed. Everything works well.
on April 30, 2014
I have no idea how I can find out if it's working at a Gigabit level on a Chromebook, but it seems zippy. (For the record, when I installed Ubuntu on another partition, the Ethernet connection reported a 100Mbps connection instead of a 1000Mbps. This may be due to my inferior knowledge on how to load drivers in linux, however).
on May 9, 2014
My new laptop (Dell XPS 12) does not come with an ethernet port and has only two USB ports. Some hotels have ethernet ports in the room but no wireless. This adapter provides three extra USB 3 ports for card reader, thumb drive, external HD etc. The ethernet port provides a (relatively) more secure connection via a hard wire.
This cost about $10 more than just a USB-Ethernet adapter and it is worth it.
My external slotted DVD drive cannot take the mini disk with the drivers which came with the unit. Download the driver (in RAR), unpacked it with 7-zip and then installation was straight forward. Works fine from then on.
This and a Targus retractable ethernet cable make a good combination.
on April 26, 2014
Updated on 5/7/2014:
Shortly after my original review, Frankie, from the seller, contacted me about the problem. He offered to send me another unit to see if it would work better. Less than a week later a new one came in the mail. Much to my joy, the USB connector fits much more snugly and my wireless dongle no longer wiggles and lose contact. This is that first time that ANY company has been this proactive about their customer service based on feedback from Amazon. I didn't even contact them first. I'm very impressed. Frankie, I'm sure you're reading this. Thanks again.

Original 2-star review:
It's passable, usable, works nicely with my Surface Pro 2 (which only has a single USB 3 port and no Ethernet) so this is a nice addition to my briefcase. My wireless mouse dongle doesn't seat well in this (wobbly) so sometimes the mouse stops working and I have to wiggle the dongle a bit to get it working again. Wished the electrical contacts had a tighter fit.