Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

This is a fast USB 3.0 hub that is powered by your computer's USB port. It is ideal for a laptop computer to multiply your USB ports and take one port to 4 ports. The hub is USB 3.0 compatible but it is also downward compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1.

The hub is plug_and_play with my Windows 7 Professional Operating System and no additional drivers were required. This installation took 2 seconds on my computer. I did the tests on a large tower computer and the 12 inch long USB cable is too short for that type of computer. You have to leave the hub hanging either on the front or the back of your computer as the cord is too short to allow you to set the hub on top of your tower. The short cable is good for desktop and laptop computers and it is portable to fit into your laptop case or briefcase.

Remember that since the hub is powered by only a USB port on your computer that the power to the hub is split to power the 4 ports and to power the hub itself. That means if you are using a USB 3.0 port you only have 900 mA of current and if you are using a USB 2.0 port you only have 500 mA of current available. If you use AC powered device like a printer, scanner or some external hard drives they get their energy from their own power supply.

In addition the data communication bandwidth is split between the four devices that are plugged into the hub. You will never get the theoretical USB 3.0 speed but the data communication can still be fast. I did some bench marking of the hub using a very high speed USB thumb drive that is 128 GIG of space and has SSD quality speeds. I plugged in four items and all of them were recognized and worked on my computer. The devices were:
* A high speed USB thumb drive 128 GIG
* A medium speed USB thumb drive 64 GIG
* A 32 GIG SD camera flash memory card
* And a USB powered laptop computer drive in an external case that draws over 600 mA.

I used all four devices and I plugged the hub into a USB 3.0 port on my computer to see if all of the devices would be seen. I have tested many of these hubs and in many cases the devices would not work in the same USB 3.0 port on my computer with a 4 port hub plugged in. This is because the hub circuitry would draw too much current and not enough power was left to power all four of these devices. This HooToo model worked fine and all the devices worked and could transfer data.

In my speed test the hub had a write speed of 48.366 MB/s and a max read speed of 158.837 MB/s. I use a bench marking software to run these tests. I liked this 4 port hub as it was able to power all four of the devices I tested and the data speed tests were pretty good. I rate this hub as a 5 star item.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2014
With the new Mac Pro and only 4 USB 3.0 ports, use of powered hubs is a necessity for large systems. I've had poor experience with powered hubs having adequate power for multi-bay enclosures, charging & syncing iPhones and iPads and other devices. I daisy chained two of these hubs to a Mac Pro USB 3.0 port and they drive all 14 devices I've attached.
on September 17, 2014
Very good product, absolutely the rest in its class and it does have enough power to run all ports at full load which other similar devices can not. Just remember that eact USB 3.0 port needs .9 amps to run meaning 5 watts of power roughly per port times 7, or a total of 35 watts just for the data ports. Then add 15 watts for the charge ports and you need 50 watts to run the Boo Too 7 port at full power and you have that with this unit. Very few devices can do full power, some even have 10 ports and only about 25 watts to power it. So in short this device rocks 100% of what it needs and o have verified it on my gaming laptop. Amazing device and I have already bought more.
on May 19, 2014
I've had this for about two weeks. For me it works ok but with a quirk I had to troubleshoot for. My main issue was that as soon as I would plug in a USB HDD 3.0 drive that didn't have its own power source, my wireless USB mouse and keyboard would lockup. The wireless mouse and KB were not even plugged into the HOOTOO USB brick, they were plugged directly into my DELL XPS 2720. There seems to be some sort of conflict going on with this combination. I tried it with two different portable HDDs and the same occurred. What solved the issue was plugging the USB KB and mouse dongle directly into the HOOTOO instead of into the XPS 2720.

******UPDATE*******
After posting my review I was contacted by Frankie from Sunnyvalleytek. Since they've seen this issue before he offered to send me a replacement after having it tested to make sure the same issue wasn't present. I received the replacement after a few days of communicating with him and the new unit does not have the same issue! He didn't even need me to send back the faulty unit so literally ZERO hassle for me. This is an example of great customer service. If only all companies would operate this way. So now that I have a fully functioning USB hub, I can say it serves all my needs perfectly and leaves nothing to be desired.

Thanks!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2014
I've tested both on linux and on OS X, and they both are great performers. Only complaint would be that the driver included for OS X was on a mini dvd. I've yet to see a mac that can read one of those. Ended up downloading it off their website. Linux 3.13 included the kernel mod, so no need to use theirs.

user$ iperf3 -c remotemachine
[ 5] 0.00-10.10 sec 1.08 GBytes 923 Mbits/sec sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.10 sec 1.08 GBytes 923 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an amazing package for its size. It adds two USB 3.0 ports to your computer that are downward compatible to USB 2.0 and 1.1. it also adds four USB 2.0 ports to your computer that are downward compatible to USB 1.1 and it features a 7th port that is a USB charging port with an output of 5 VDC and 2 amps to charge your high powered tablets. That 7th port will not exchange data. In my attached video I tested 3 different USB thumb drives and a SATA I USB powered Hard Disk Drive and the hub performed very well in speed tests. I also posted in the video some graphic data analysis of the data transfer speeds as well as photos of the graphical speed test data.

The port comes with:
* A USB 3.0 cable to connect it to your computer. If you want USB 3.0 data transfer speed then you have to use a USB 3.0 port on your computer. The cable is 32 inches long.
* An AC wall power supply that will power the hub and furnish power to the USB ports. The power adapter can use 100 to 240 VAC at 50/60 Hertz so it is compatible for overseas use as long as you take your AC wall plug adapters. The output is 5 VDC at 4 Amps and that along with the power out of your computer's USB 3.0 port provides the power for the operation of this powerful accessory. Each USB 3.0 port needs to be able to supply 900 mADC and the USB 2.0 ports can supply 500 mADC. The cable length for the power adapter is 5 feet,
* An instruction manual

In my video I plugged in a high speed, medium speed and slower speed USB thumb drive as well as a USB powered SATA I Hard Disk Drive. I did some speed testing and the speed results were very good. Just remember that you have to share one computer USB 3.0 port with the six data ports on the hub so if multiple ports are reading or writing at that same time then the speeds are not capable of reaching 5 Gbps. The graphs are in the video but here are the fastest speeds that I saw in my testing.

Fast speed USB thumb drive:

* Max read speed at 37,342 MB/s

USB powered SATA I Hard Disk Drive:
* Max write speed at 33,309 MB/s
* Max read speed at 33,057 MB/s

The UBS ports allow you to add any type of accessory that needs a USB port. This means that you can add in a printer, scanner, external hard drive or whatever accessory you may need. The hub is compatible with many operating systems and I tested it on Vista 64 Bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit operating systems. No drivers are required to install this device. Just remember that if you need high speed data transfer or a higher current to operate a device then make sure to use one of the USB 3.0 ports

This is a good product and deserves a 5 star rating for it size, capabilities and good performance. I was supplied a sample unit for testing and I promised a fair and honest review.
review image review image review image
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2013
I was fortunate enough to receive HT-UD01 from the HooToo, free of charge, for review. My review on this product is solely based on my honest experience with this product, not the fact that I received it free of charge.

A docking station's main purpose is to provide an easy, quick and central method to connect peripherals (monitors, keyboard, mouse, monitor(s), external harddrives, printers, etc.) to your laptop or desktop computer. HT-UD01 also doubles as a USB hub and can be used as a standalone charging station. Did you ever want to use a monitor, full keyboard and mouse with your laptop but hated having to attach each device, one at a time, to your laptop? Did you want to use a TV as monitor but your laptop does not have an HDMI port? Then you should give this product a good hard look.

Although docking stations are primarily used for laptops, I tested this product using both a desktop (Core i5/8GB RAM/USB 3.0/Windows 7 64bit) and a laptop (Core i3/4GB RAM/USB 2.0/Windows 7 64bit).

Setup
-------

It is crucial that the DisplayLink drivers are installed on your laptop/desktop PRIOR to connecting the docking station to your device. The latest drivers can be found here ([...]

One thing to note is that DisplayLink does not support SiS, Matrox or multiple graphic cards setup, such as CrossFire and SLI. Follow this link for more details ([...]

The docking station consists of 3 main components: power adapter, docking station and USB 3.0 cable. The USB cable (3.3' long) attaches to your computer while all other peripherals are attached to the docking station. This allows you to attach your computer to a variety of peripherals using one connection. In order to take full advantage of the USB 3.0 throughput, you will need to attach the device to a USB 3.0 port on your computer, but I had no issues with functionality attaching it to a USB 2.0 port on the laptop.

The majority of my review focuses on the video connections of the docking station as this is the feature that sets it apart from USB hubs.

Video (USB, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI)
-----------------------------------

The docking station was able to recognize and display, at full native resolution, all 3 of the monitors/TV I connected it to.

HP S2231 = 1920x1080 (DVI, VGA using supplied DVI to VGA adapter)
Dell 2005FPW = 1680x1050 (DVI, VGA using supplied DVI to VGA adapter)
Samsung T200HD = 1680x1050(HDMI, DVI, VGA using supplied DVI to VGA adapter)

The DisplayLink driver offers different options to customize each display. You can choose the different resolutions that your monitor/TV supports. The orientation of the video (landscape or portrait) of each monitor. It also allows you to extend the display to any of the external monitors or duplicate the display.

The DisplayLink technology works in conjunction with the graphic card installed in your laptop/desktop. However, I did notice a slight increase (~5%) when playing a 1080p video using the docking station versus the monitor being directly connected to the laptop/desktop. The attached displays did not exhibit any significant latency in relaying the movement of input devices, such as mouse and keyboard (wireless keyboard and mouse combo - Logitech MK320 - used for testing).

Another thing to note, there is only one HDMI and one DVI connection. So if you have two monitors, one that requires a DVI and another a VGA then you will need an additional adapter (either USB to DVI/VGA or a HDMI to DVI/VGA). Same goes if you have two HDMI monitors.

USB 6 USB (4 2.0 ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports)
----------------------------------------------------

The HT-UD01 has a total of 6 USB ports: 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Both USB 3.0 ports can be used to charge portable devices. A welcomed feature is the docking station can be used as a standalone charger (only has to have power connected in order to use the charging ports). I was able to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) within 2-3 hours. Unfortunately, it refused to charge my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet (GT-P5113). In terms of data transfer and charging, the USB ports on the docking station is on par with the performance of Hootoo 7 USB port hub (HT-UH010).

USB 3.0 flash drive (Adata 16GB UV128) - Sequential read: 42.65 MB/s, Sequential write: 19.79 MB/s
USB 2.0 flash drive (SanDisk 1GB Cruzer Micro) - Sequential read: 9.62 MB/s, Sequential write: 4.904

The discrepancy in performance between the two drive can be attributed to the different USB specs (2.0 vs. 3.0).

Network (1 10/100MB RJ45 )
------------------------------------

Note that the docking station has it's own 10/100MB ethernet adapter (active), which means it has it's own MAC address. If you assignned a static ip based on your laptop or desktop computer's MAC address then you will need to use the docking station's MAC address instead of the laptop/desktop's MAC address.

Audio and Microphones (1 3.5mm audio jack, 1 3.5mm microphone jack)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very simple and straightforward, just plug in your 3.5mm plug into the jack and your device is ready for use.

I was able to attach my Altec Langsing VS2321 (2.1 speakers) using the supplied 3.5mm audio jack and received clear stereo sound while playing items in my music or video library.

Since I use a wireless headset (Logitech H800) for Skype, I was unable to test the microphone feature of the docking station. The wireless headset worked well with the docking station and retained all functionality of the headset (mute, play, answer, etc buttons)

Conclusion
---------------

There are couple of features/improvements that I wish the docking station had such as a 1GB Ethernet port, a way to spoof the MAC address, more charging ports and a way to charge the laptop it is being used with. Overall, the HT-UD01 delivers a wide variety of functionality and supports all major video interfaces. It provides a simple and easy way to connect several devices through a single USB connection and retain functionality of those devices. It's a time saver (no need to individually connect each device every time you want to use it on your laptop) and de-clutters the mess of open ended cables (centralizes the device cable).
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2014
I bought this mainly for the ethernet for my macbook air and the USB port is just a bonus. The quality is ok. You dont want to bend the wire too much or too often though. It can transfer files at a relatively high speed considering it is a 3.0 usb port but when I plug my wireless mouse/keyboard (logitech) I found it is not usable. There is simply to much latency for my mouse and keyboard to function normally. I tried a wireless mouse from another brand (Microsoft), still no luck. Strangely, it works ok when the mouse or keyboard is wired. Could have been a 4 star product if not for this. Still debating if I should just return this and get a mini wireless router instead.

Update:

After read the seller's reply, I did some research and I think he/she is right about the usb3 and 2.4 GHz device. So I did a little bit more research and found the following solution. To put it simple, you need to keep the receiver close to your device. Once that is achieved, the latency is gone. But my macbook air and lenovo Y410p both have usb3.0 and they have no problem handling the wireless mouse/keyboard I have. Like I said in my review, the USB is a bonus but comes with a price. I could have bought a cheaper one with ethernet port only. The only thing I will change here is that I will keep it but considering the quality, price and trouble it gave me, it is still a 3 star product to me.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon July 30, 2013
I was provided a HooToo HT-UH007 USB 3.0 4 Port Hub for testing and review and was asked only to give my honest review, so this is what I found.

Look: The product came in a professional looking box with product information and instructions (as opposed to some products that come in a plain hanging bag). It is a travel or small desk size hub with a longer 1 foot cable. The plug end is a little larger than normal, but long, not wide, so no issue fitting it in a computer USB port. It seems to have a nice, solid build. The four ports are stacked instead of next to each other and spaced apart nicely, making it easy to insert and remove USB plugs. It also has a blue light that makes the ports easy to see in a dark area or room. The quality seems great and it is compact for travel or desk use without taking up much space.

Use and Performance: I tested this Hub out with several peripherals on multiple computers and laptops. The USB 3.0 speeds were great on all ports. All ports were also backwards compatible with all USB 2.0 peripherals that I had. Transfer speeds were very fast for everything I tried. I also plugged in my iPhone 5 to charge and sync and everything worked perfectly. I was happy with the performance in all situations.

Conclusion: Overall, this is a nice USB Hub for increasing the number of USB 3.0 ports you have available on your computer. The orientation of the ports makes it easy to use and the light is a little bonus. The price is competitive with other USB 3.0 Hubs on Amazon and the Hub looks to be a high quality piece of equipment. I would recommend this product to anyone looking to utilize more USB 3.0 ports on their computer. Highly Recommended!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The HooTOO Hub USB 3.09 with Ethernet, is a great gadget to throw to my backpack along with my Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
While I'm working I attached to the hub the ethernet cable, a USB 2.0 memory drive (4 GB) and a USB 2.0 external hard drive (650 GB). It worked flawlessly.

However when I tried to connect a USB 3.0 external hard drive (500 GB), as the only device attached to the HooToo HT-UE01, it didn't worked. I think it is because it shares the energy between the Eth adapter and the USB ports. That means that you cannot use any USB 3.0 device with the HUB, unless it is powered up by an external energy source. Still, a godd gadget to increase USB ports and ETH port to the Surface Pro.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...