Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on July 7, 2012
I bought this book for my 3 y.o almost 4 y.o. daughter after her pre-school teacher recommended that I do some kindergarten work books with her over the summer. DD goes to a Montessori and they usually provide homework and reading instruction to 4 year olds. The teacher expressed that DD was racing through the 3 y.o. curriculum but it was May and school year end was fast approaching. Furthermore, the school would not allow her to receive a homework folder until she was officially 4 (though teacher said she was now ready). DD turns 4 in August. So I bought this book along with some others a couple of weeks ago as she was ready for the challenge. I have only rave reviews. I love that the book has so much practice in counting and writing. Sometimes it seems like so much counting but it is worth it to drill it into child's head and understand quantity (i.e. 100 is a big number because it takes a long time to count 100 aliens). And the pictures they are counting are fun so child doesn't realize she's learning. At school DD would count to 100 daily as part of the morning routine. But she would often in counting skip 15. She would also have difficulty with transitions such as 29 to 30, 49 to 50, etc. Within two weeks she no longer has the issue with 15 and can recognize numbers up to 100. Furthermore, she has had ample practice writing the numbers as well. She is racing through the book and refuses breaks when offered. My only issue with the book is after learning to write and count to 100 the book then introduces skip counting (counting by 2s and counting by 5s). While this is good I don't think DD is quite ready yet for this concept. And the book doesn't in my opinion really teach this concept it just assumes the child knows how to do this. We may have to put it away for a little while until I teach her skip counting from other sources (or she learns it in school). All in all I think the workbook is great and more importantly my DD thinks it's great. It is a great resource and will give your child confidence and a head start in early math skills.
on November 26, 2012
I purchased this for my 4 year old daughter for two reasons. I'm preparing her for Kindergarten, and it is very important to get your children interested in math at a young age.

First of all, my daughter loves all types of workbooks and anything that she feels is related to school and learning. It is easy to engage her in these books, so bear that in mind during this review.

She was immediately very interested in this workbook because it was all about numbers! The activities are very basic, especially at the beginning. Simple numbers and counting exericises prepare your child for progressively more difficult basic math activities later.

Pros:
The book starts out very simple, ensuring your child has a foundation before progressing to more engaging basic math pages
The activities vary, so your child will not be bored with too much of the same thing
There is a reward system in the book. Everytime your child completes a page, you place a sticker (included in the back of the book) on that page. Never underestimate the power of stickers to motivate children! My daughter was so proud everytime I placed that sticker on the page!

Cons:
I did not find any!
on January 9, 2007
I've been quite disappointed with this HOP book. We have the HOP phonics program and I really like it so I thought I'd give this a shot. I homeschool and I have a 4 year old preschooler who is bored to tears with this book. Sorry! We also purchase the Sadlier Oxford Kindergarten math book and it's about a zillion times better. Much more what we were after.
0Comment13 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2014
I bought this when my daughter turned four. At that time, she could count to about 20. This book taught her to count to 100! Now she can actually see a number and know what it is (most of the time). Kids are like sponges and learn so quickly if we are willing to give them just a few minutes of our time, a few times a week. This workbook is fantastic!
on June 14, 2014
My son is going into Kindergarten and I wanted us to have some workbooks for the summer. This is his favorite. It teaching counting to 100 (as well a writing the numbers) counting by 2's , 5's and 10's. Very simple workbook, but very good.
on January 28, 2013
my son LOVES math - and loves activity books. This is a great book - created by a well know phonics company! I love how he has the confidence of doing it on his own
on May 27, 2014
My 3 year old absolutely loves these, I plan to keep buying again! Super cute! I used to work in preschool and this is exactly what I was looking for
on January 3, 2015
My 5 year old/Kindergartener got this as a gift at my suggestion. I am so very disappointed. This should not be marked as a kindergarten level book. I think this might be ok for a preschooler but even then I think it lacks enough content to be worth the $5. It has pages to trace/practice writing numbers (a preschool skill). It has the child count in 2s/5s/10s (which might be a kindergarten skill) but it has them lined up where the interval they are counting in are all in the same column which seems to take away the challenge of it. It has very basic counting. Overall I would not buy this again nor would I recommend it to a friend.
on April 5, 2015
I'm not sure why, but I thought this workbook would have simple math problems (addition and subtraction). I guess I just assumed it would since it's an early math workbook, but now that I have received it I see that it doesn't have anything like that.

If you want a book just to help your child with counting/recognition to 100 then this book is probably a great choice for you. If you want a more complete early math workbook I suggest finding something else.
on August 28, 2015
My daughter just turned five will be entering into kindergarten. We've been working on ELA and math all summer and she started to get a little bored. Once this book came she was right back into it again. It comes with a sticker chart to complete as you complete each page. There are also family fun activities included in the book which encouraged her to work through it. Would definitely recommend.