Hooked: The Pitfalls of Media, Technology and Social Networking
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 25, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
A book of sanity in a world that is slowly being taken over by electronics. It is not preachy. It is more factual and interesting.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on May 25, 2012
Format: Paperback
Imagine waking up in a world without any media. No internet. No texting. No iPods, iPads, or iPhones. Not one television show. No media whatsoever. Although a world where we had no media could possibly be a more peaceable and beneficial world, most of us would start freaking out if we couldn't check our Facebook. I know I would. In this alternately angled book, Gregory shows the pitfalls of media today, and how we as a culture are more reliant on faux communication than real, live, face to face conversation. He show how we can use media to our advantage, while simultaneously living in a real reality, not a virtual one.

I liked:

The mind blowing facts. Did you know that a drunk driver is actually safer than a texting driver? I sure didn't.

The non-judgmental outlook. I loved that he understood how addicting technology is, and he wasn't condemning about it. He simply showed how much better it could be used.

The hope. He made it seem semi-doable to do a media fast. It was awesome.

I didn't love:

The lack of Christianity in it. Not that it was bad, but I usually expect Christian books to mention God in more than one chapter.

Overall:

I enjoyed this book, and although I was slightly afraid it could be boring, it was not. It was a great book, and I would definitely recommend it to you!

Libbi H.

Thanks to Charisma House publishers for giving me this book in exchange for this honest review.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again