5.0 out of 5 stars Battery information
Published on October 15, 2010 by Tracy Guth

2.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 chance of getting a good one, poor CS from Hoover
In fact, I don't know if this battery was bad or the one that came with the vac was bad. In any case, someone else wrote here about a battery failure and Hoover replacing it, so bad batteries may be common. Here's my battery experience with two batteries.

Published on August 11, 2011 by Bowser B

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery information, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
Based on a phone call to Hoover: If you want your battery to last and work properly do not store the battery on the charger or in the vacuum. Fully charge the battery and use it in the vacuum. If the battery runs out, fully charge it again (3 hours and a light on the charger will pulse when ready) and then store it separately. If the battery has not run out you can choose to recharge it so it fully loaded (again, take it off the charger when the light pulses) and then store it separately. Since a full charge only takes 3 hours an overnight charge is not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must., April 10, 2011
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
I bought this for use with my Hoover Linx stick vac, which I LOVE. Cannot live without that thing. The battery lasts about 15-20 min and so I wanted an extra so that I'd always be able to finish a job. I was finding that I'd forget how much power was left in the battery, how much time I had on the battery. Sometimes I'd have 15 min, sometimes just 5. And since I use the vac so much, it made sense to have the back up battery. One thing I'd encourage everyone to do is get a timer switch for your wall outlet. I got the Belkin Conserve Socket F7C009q Energy Saving Outlet which was tendollars on Amazon. Basically, plug the charger into the Belkin outlet and you can push the 3-hr button when you put the battery in. It turns off power supply at 3 hours, just when the batt is fully charged. That way there's no risk of battery drain.

2.0 out of 5 stars 50/50 chance of getting a good one, poor CS from Hoover, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)

The vac has indicator lights showing charge status: 3 lights full or nearly full, 2 lights lower, 1 light lower still, 1 blinking light-almost dead. Hoover's official position on battery life: 12-15 minutes. My test results with vac only, no beater brush running:

Battery 1 goes from 3 lights to 2 in 5 minutes, 2 to 1 in 3 more minutes, and 1 to blinking in 4 more minutes. Total running time 12 minutes.

Battery 2 goes from 3 lights to 2 in 1 minute, 2 to 1 in 2.5 minutes, and 1 to blinking in 3 more minutes. Total running time 6.5 minutes.

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Hoover. The first CSR treated me like I was a moron, and then when I explained my tests, she said, "OK. Send it to us and we'll check it out." Gave me an address. Then put me on hold, came back, put me on hold, came back and said, "I'm transferring you to another department." (It was like that light company ad on TV.) After another 10 minutes on hold, a guy came on the phone with no knowledge of why I was calling, heard the story again, and then said, "Ship it to us, and we'll check it out." Frankly, I'll be surprised if I ever see that battery, much less a replacement battery, again.

Followup 8/22/2011: I just had a call from Hoover. The CSR says, "As a courtesy we're going to send you a new battery, but the battery you sent us was out of warranty. The Mfrs code says it is over two years old and not covered by warranty." I bought this in May, sent the bad battery in August. Hmmm.

My advice. Charge your new battery. See my test results above. If you can't duplicate the better results, send it back right away as defective. If it's the battery with the vac, send the whole thing back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the vac....not the battery, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
I just went to order a new battery for my vacuum and was surprised at the price. I went on Hoovers website and it is $69.99 on their website. Right before I went back to Amazon, I saw this response from Hoover to a review:

Merchant response: Thank you for your feedback! Please follow these steps to charge your LiNX battery

Remove the LiNX Battery from the charger. Unplug the charger from the wall outlet. Slowly count to 30 and then plug the charger back into the wall outlet. You should see a single blink of the blue light on the charger when you plug it back into the wall outlet. Then place the battery in to the charger and allow 2-3 hours for charging.

I would try this before ordering a new battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having the spare battery makes a good vacuum great, June 2, 2009
Woodsmithy (Green Bay, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
The thing about lithium batteries is that they run out of power without much warning. Sure there's a gauge/light on the vacuum, but if your not paying attention it can stop in the middle of vacuuming. Recharging a battery can put vacuuming on hold for an hour, but with a fully charged spare battery in the charger you can quickly swap batteries and resume vacuuming.

Added after more than a year:
I am not sure what all the battery/charger in/out discussion is about. During the last year,we have left the vacuum cleaner batteries in the charger and swap them as needed, without any negative affects. I treat these batteries the same as all my lithium rechargeable batteries in my phones and several cordless tools. When they're discharged I put them in the charger, and leave them there until I need them. Maybe the chargers have a different charging programs, or are smarter than others. I have not had to replace a lithium battery yet, and some of them are 5 years old. I think using a timer is a great idea to save energy, and I might use it, but it won't be because I have battery life problems.

PS The vacuum still runs like new. It's really handy for a quick clean-up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries with a limited lifespan, January 21, 2012
These lithium-ion batteries (like all li-ion batteries) are fantastic when they're relatively new, but unfortunately they're like organic things - they age and lose their stamina.

When new, they provide long-term FULL power until they're completely drained, with no diminishing performance until they're completely discharged. They recharge relatively quickly, too!

But as they age, their delivery time gets shorter and shorter, although they still recharge fairly quickly.

In sum, enjoy them while they're new, but plan on buying new ones in a couple of years or so in order to have enough power to finish the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Forget the Extra Battery for Your LINX, January 15, 2011
Tony Maxey (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
We got the LINX at the recommendation of a friend, who did a great demo and explained the merits of an extra battery. It's really simple: the LINX has a swap-able battery, so when the battery that's in the vacuum runs low on charge, you swap the run-down battery with a fresh one you grab out of the charger and--presto--you keep right on running the LINX until you vacuuming is done.

So, we got the extra battery with our LINX and swapping it the way our friend described works like a charm for my wife and I. It's a lithium-ion technology battery, so it charges pretty fast, and runs the vacuum a good while (15-20 minutes or so) before the light on the vacuum blinks indicating the charge is running down.

Bottom line: when you buy a LINX be sure to get an extra battery. It's that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoover Rechargable Battery, July 8, 2009
Danny Cannon "Sandman" (Fernandina Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
Love the battery bought an extra one so my wife could have a spare one charging at all times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick vac, September 7, 2009
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
I think this is a great initial idea for a rechargable vaccum. I use it daily.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it but I have to have it., October 24, 2012
This review is from: Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000 (Kitchen)
I love my Linx cordless vacuum cleaner. It is perfect for my needs. I am in a power chair and I can't stand for very long. This lightweight vacuum is just what I need. That being said, I HATE the lithium-ion battery that comes with it. It is an utter disappointment. I am about to purchase my second replacement battery. I didn't know that I had to remove the battery from the vacuum and store it elsewhere. I didn't know that I could kill it if it sat in the charger. So, reading the review here that explained it, I purchased a replacement battery. It hasn't lasted for more than a few months, with minimal usage. So, now, with the purchase I will make today for my second replacement battery, I will have over $100 in replacement batteries. I hope that Hoover will do something about these TERRIBLE BATTERIES. I am so frustrated with this. If this next replacement battery dies on me like the last two batteries have, then I will be forced to chuck vacuum, battery and all into the dumpster and say good riddance to bad rubbish. Can you tell I am frustrated? I am going to order my replacement battery and start searching Amazon for another lightweight vacuum.

Hoover LiNX Lithium Ion Battery, BH50000