Having reviewed several vacuums and being a Dyson guy, by no means am I biased. There are people who need vacuums to fit their budget, their living space and those who need something that will be a workhorse in the longrun.

Published on July 8, 2012 by Dennis A. Amith (kndy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Best one I have had in this price range.
1) First...It cost $70
2) has a nice feel, light but solid
3) cord could be 5 feet longer
4) noise level is acceptable
5) canister is easy to clean
6) skeptical about all the plastic buttons that are used to lock tools together, release and open the canister. As soon as one of these fails, out comes the duct tape, and none of us wants that...
Published on June 25, 2011 by T. Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars For those living in a small home, apt. studio...the Sprint Quick works great!, July 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I truly believe that with other vacuum companies now using multi-cyclonic technology, as much as I love my Dyson vacuum, the truth is that there are other vacuums that are performing just as good. But what it comes down to is how long these cheaper vacuums last in the long run. While my Dyson continues to due exceptionally well over 8-years-later, other vacuum makers have done well in the short run but disappointed me in the long run and the usual "you get what you pay for", tends to come in mind.

But like I said, things have changed as many vacuum companies are now using multi-cyclonic technology and also utilizing rinsable filters for consumers to save money.

My review is for the Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum.

Immediately from removing it out of the box, this vacuum is ready go. Just hook on the handle to the vacuum and that's it!

It's important to know that the canister is small and with smaller canisters, you will be emptying out more frequently if you have a bigger room. With that being said, this is a perfect vacuum for the apartment, studio, single room, automobile, etc. Otherwise, there are other multi-cyclonic vacuums for under $80 that can store more dirt, etc. than this vacuum.

I. What does it come with? and First Impressions!

The Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum comes with a cleaning wand for easy floor-to-ceiling cleaning. The vacuum also includes a 2-in-1 tool...which is a dusting brush and crevice tool. So, no need to worry about accessories that can get lost!

My first impression of the vacuum was that it is for smaller rooms because of the size of the canister. During my first vacuum, I went over a rug and suction was so good that vacuuming a 5x7 rug, the canister was full (not with dirt but threads). So, I started using this is various rooms especially where our dogs like roam and it did a good job picking up dog hair and the vacuum worked wonderfully, but it took repeated emptying. Depending on the individual, if you are impatient, I would go for a vacuum with a larger canister.

I do like the fact that it comes with a five foot cleaning hose. So, for those accidental vacuuming of little things such as pennies or paperclips or things like that, no worries. The hose is thick enough to pick those small objects up.

I have a major pet peeve with vacuums and that is... a short cord. The Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum comes with a 23-foot power cord. Another positive! Although, winding it the cord back up, may not be perfect (note: This is not an automatic winding cord).

Also, the vacuum is lightweight as mentioned. But it's a small vacuum, so that is to be expected. As for the handle, some people tend to break off their handles for cheaper vacuums but since this is lightweight, as long as you hold the vacuum from the main grip and not the thin plastic under the grip, you should be fine.

II. Suction & Vacuuming

I took my time with this review because usually vacuums do great in the beginning and some, you just have to test if the multi-cyclonic portion of the vacuum continues to be strong after weeks of use. In the case of using the Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum, suction continued to be strong a month after use. And I like how easy the canister is to empty out dirt and for the most part, how the filter is rinsable. So, this is a major positive for those considering this vacuum.

The vacuum does have a three position height adjustment. Low for floors, medium and high.

Also, included is a system check indicator. Green if good, red means rinse filter is full.

JUDGMENT CALL:

So, is this Hoover vacuum recommended. First, Hoover is a major company and they have a pretty solid reputation in making vacuums.

During my tests, I did not have any problems with this vacuum whatsoever. In fact, it worked perfectly and it's a lot cheaper than a Dyson DC25.

But I recommend this vacuum only if you are living or using it in a very small space. This is also comparable to the cheaper Dirt Devil Extreme Quick Vac Cyclone Bagless, but if I had to choose between this or the Dirt Devil, the Hoover Sprint Quick works so much better!

Otherwise, the Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum is a great first vacuum or vacuum for basic needs. This is not meant to be a powerhouse vacuum but should suit people who use it in small rooms or on floors. It's important to note that the Spring Quick is a major improvement over Hoover's Nano Cyclonic Compact Bagless Upright Vacuum (which is nearly the same price). This one has a 23 ft. cord.

Alternatives that I do recommend are the Dirt Devil UD70095 Power Reach Multi Cyclonic Pet Bagless Upright wich is third dollars more but it has a bigger canister and definitely designed for those with pets and the similarly priced Dirt Devil UD40275 Power Path Dual Stage Cyclonic Bagless Upright. Bissell also has the BISSELL OptiClean Cyclonic Canister Vacuum, Bagless, 66T61 for five bucks more. Unfortunately, the next step up for Hoover is the Upright Turbo Cyclonic but as you can see from reviews, people have given not-so-favorable reviews.

Overall, I really like this vacuum for being light, having a longer cord, so far-so good with suction and its system check indicator and of course, the rinsable filter. But I do emphasize that this vacuum is for those with smaller rooms, preferably no pets and the canister is small (so one with medium to larger sized can expect repeated trips to the garbage can to empty the canister out).

It's important to also note that I have not used this vacuum for more than a year. I don't know if this vacuum is one of those "you get what you pay for?" type of vacuums. But I will update this review, if anything does go wrong!

Otherwise, the Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum is great for its price, features and what anyone would definitely want for a smaller cannister-based multi-cyclonic vacuum.

For now...I give the "the Hoover Sprint Quick Vac Bagless Upright Vacuum" my recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright - UH20040 is a Bargain !, October 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I (especially my wife) are very pleased with this lightweight Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright - UH20040.

We own several vacuum cleaners; our main ones are Eureka THE BOSS SmartVac Model 4870 Type GZ of which we've owned two units for a couple of years now. They are excellent vacuum cleaners and work very well indeed. Maintenance on them is minimal. They are, however, very heavy and that is the reason we bought two of them: one is for downstairs and one is for upstairs. (They were highly rated in "Consumer Reports" and cost about half - $150.00 - of what other comparably highly-rated machines did at the time.)

We also own a couple of lightweight 'stick' vacuums: a Eureka Lightweight Easy Clean Upright Vacuum Cleaner and a Bissell FeatherWeight Vacuum, Bagless, 3106B (my wife slightly prefers the Bissell to the Eureka). We use these for light touch-up vacuuming and they are excellent for that purpose.

But this new Hoover model almost combines the best of both worlds: it is lightweight (of course not as lightweight as the 'sticks') yet comparable in performance to our 'heavy-weight' Eureka 4870s.

It is so easy to put together right out of the box (no instructions are necessary for assembly) and its use is straightforward. It is helpful and desirable, of course, to read the owner's manual but figuring out this unit is almost (but not quite) a 'no-brainer.'

There is only one tool included with this machine and that's all you'll need. It is a most ingenious tool, combining a crevice tool and an upholstery tool in one compact unit. It has to be seen to be believed.

Everything snaps in place and the machine exudes an air of confidence and of high quality. It has an unusual carry handle which can be used when moving the machine (rather than carrying it awkwardly with the 'main' handle, as is the necessary case with most vacuums).

Using it on stairs is very easy, almost as easy as using a cannister vacuum.

The power cord has to be wound carefully onto its nesting place otherwise it won't fit properly. But that is easy to do. The power cord's length is adequate for our house, as long or longer than all the other vacuums we own.

My wife especially likes the foot-operated on/off switch.

On first use, she exclaimed that the suction was amazing. She said she could not believe it. After she finished vacuuming our entire upstairs with it, she asked me what it sold for. I replied that currently Amazon was charging $70.00 and it listed for $80.00. She then stated very firmly, "That's a bargain!"

Obviously, with it being so new for us, I cannot comment at this time on its longevity or ease of maintenance. Should anything untoward develop, I shall report it here.

But there is one comment I can make: at least one reviewer here states that, to access the belt, one must remove seven (7) screws. That is, in fact, what the owner's manual states.

But, if you look at the bottom of the vacuum, you will see a little chart showing the location of just six (6) screws; that is all that really need be removed. (Not that that makes a whole lot of difference.) I do recommend that you do as we do: remove the screws and put them in an egg carton. That way you are sure not to lose any of them. You will need a moderately long and thin Phillips-head ("crosshead") screwdriver to remove the screws but this should be easy. Such screwdrivers are readily available (if you don't already have one) at any hardware store (or even a dollar-store). (I have not tried removing the screws: it 'ain't' broke so why should I fix it?)

I cannot say, at this time, if this machine will replace our 'big' Eurekas as my wife's main vacuum cleaner, but, so far, she is really enamored of it. (She does most of the vacuuming and she is 'in charge' of what we buy and use in such machines.)

As I said at the beginning of this review, both I and my wife are very pleased with this vacuum cleaner. It's offers heavy-duty suction without the 'heavy-duty price' or 'heavy-duty weight.' If you buy one, I believe you will be pleased too.

Thank you for reading this review and for considering my opinions.

==================================================================================================================================

Update: November 11, 2011

We've had this vacuum cleaner for a month now and, if anything, my wife likes it even more than when we first received it. Since it arrived, she has used our 'big' Eurekas only once, much preferring to use this Hoover model which she regards as being lighter in weight, easier to maneuver, and superior in deep cleaning our rugs.

Plus she says that, of all the vacuum cleaners we have ever owned, bag or bagless, this is by far the easiest and most convenient to clean.

And its price is 'right.'

3.0 out of 5 stars Best one I have had in this price range., June 25, 2011
T. Cooper (Midland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
1) First...It cost $70
2) has a nice feel, light but solid
3) cord could be 5 feet longer
4) noise level is acceptable
5) canister is easy to clean
7) I do like the foot switch for "on" & "off"
8) And finally...The suction seems good. I pull the hose off the power head and the suction is strong. After vacuuming 1 room and seeing what is in the canister, the suction appears to be adequate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works all right, but feel very cheap, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040 (Misc.)
I bought this to replace a Dirt Devil Breeze Bagless Upright Vacuum, M088160RED that was ruined by someone who borrowed it and used it to suck up a bunch of liquid. I was only moderately happy with that vacuum and looking forward to finding something better.

DESIGN
This is where this vacuum got its favorable rating on Amazon. It's logically designed, and it's easy to switch from hose to floor. It can also adjust for various carpet heights, and it has an indicator that warns you that you need to clean it out. It even has a separate HEPA filter, so it doesn't clog up as badly as other vacuums I've owned.

CONSTRUCTION
The QuickVac feels far flimsier than the Dirt Devil I used to own, even though the QuickVac is quite a bit pricier. It's all plastic, and the plastic feels thin, like a child's toy vacuum. Does that matter? I really don't know. It honestly hasn't had any effect on my ability to vacuum so far, as you can read below.

CLEANING
This is where a star gets knocked off. Even though it performs fairly well, I often have to re-vacuum a single spot to get everything out of the carpet. I have fairly thick carpet without much space between the fibers, but it's still annoying to have to do this. On short carpet and rugs, it works great, though. It also picks up and stores dog hair really well without getting clogged and losing suction.

All in all, I'd recommend you buy this, but maybe not from Amazon. Check it out in a store and decide if it's too flimsy for you to feel comfortable buying. And if you have a large home with lots of rooms, get something heavier-duty and larger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent lightweight vacuum, October 13, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Dyson and unlike most Dyson users, I hate mine. It is way too big and heavy to be carrying up and down stairs all the time. I was so excited to try this model. For a lightweight vacuum I'm happy with it. For the price, it's definitely a bargain.

I vacuumed three rooms with the Hoover Sprint. After I was done I went back over it with my Dyson and there was very, very little that the Dyson was able to pick up that the Sprint didn't.

Pros:
Small and compact. It doesn't take up nearly as much room in my closet. It's light enough to carry up and down the stairs.
Decent suction. I find it works better on low pile carpets. The brushes don't seem to get into the higher pile carpets as much as the Dyson does. It hasn't left any stray threads or lint that my Dyson always seems to skip right over that makes me crazy.
The foot on/off switch is convenient.

Cons:
The hose attachment is awkward. It might extend 7 ft but not easily. Maybe the hose will become more flexible with time but if I try to extend it more than 2 feet the vacuum tips over.
The canister is small so it needs to be emptied frequently.
The attachments feel cheap and are annoying to pull apart to use. I much prefer if they were all stored on the machine separately like the Dyson but since the machine is smaller there just isn't room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, January 10, 2012
Amazon Customer (New Lenox, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040 (Misc.)
I wanted to get a bagless "cyclone" type vac for a while now to replace my old bag vac. I was going to buy a Dyson but could not justify 500 bucks for a vacuum cleaner. This hoover did a great job. After vacuuming with my old vac and then this one, I was amazed by the suction and the dirt my old one left behind. Is it as good as a Dyson...I have no idea, but for $75 bucks, you could buy 5 of these vacs for the price of a Dyson...so if it lasts even a few years, I am happy. I use it on wood floors, wool rugs, and short carpet. Works very well and is quiet and VERY light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for an apartment!, September 20, 2011
Patricia Gray (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This put together in under 5 minutes from the time the UPS guy knocked on the door. Simple, click together pieces with very easy to follow directions.

The width of the vacuum is smaller than I expected at just under 12", but it does a great job, none the less. This vacuum is small and can easily fit into a water heater closet or can even be stored without the handle on it for easy storage in a clothes or hall closet.

One of my main dislikes about this vacuum is the cord storage. The normal L shaped pegs that you wrap the cord around are pretty small and the bottom one is very close to the attachments and the intake valves, making it a tight fit to get the whole thing wrapped up. I've also had the cord come loose from the bottom because of this issue, as well.

My other dislike is the hose attachment. You're supposed to disconnect the handle and then attach the hose to it and this is your cleaning wand. However, it was pretty hard to get the handle off and I actually hit myself in the face with it the first time. No harm done, but I did get a few laughs from the peanut gallery. The hose itself is pretty short and if I want to vacuum the ceiling / wall corner (I'm 5'8") I have to hold the vacuum off the floor in one hand and the hose in the other, and it just barely reaches. The vacuum is very light (I'd guess under 10 lbs) weight, so this is not a big deal to hold it for a while.

I like how quiet this vacuum is and would feel comfortable vacuuming at a late hour here in my apartment with neighbors on two sides of me. The suction is great, but the hair seemed to clump up and clog easily, even on the first go round with the vacuum in a recently (2 days ago) room. Giving the vacuum it's credit, we do have a circus of animals with three cats and an Angora rabbit. Adding my long hair to the mix and we have a vacuum proving ground around here.

This vacuum held it's own and performed well. Emptying the canister is easy and the small size of the canister allowed me to empty it in my bathroom trash can rather than the kitchen - a plus in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sprint QuickVac ROCKS, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040 (Misc.)
As a senior citizen, I need a backache like I need a man. I can clean my house painlessly. Thanks4asking

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a vacuum for apartment-living.. UPDATE: BROKEN, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040 (Misc.)
Preface: I did not look at or expect a $200-$300 vacuum--- I am rating this product within the price range and not comparing it to other higher cost items.

This vacuum is perfect for my small, city apartment. It is small enough to get into all the tiny spaces and light enough for me to carry around. It also has a long cord that allows me to vacuum most of my apartment without moving outlets. It also came in an unmarked box (I was fearful of it being stolen in my building) and was a 1 step set up.

Since I have all carpet and a cat I needed a high power, yet affordable, vacuum. This does the job perfectly. My only complaint is that I had to empty the container several times.. but that may be a sign of my carpet more than the vacuum. It has a nice indicator for when the compartment is getting full.

You are not going to find a better deal for a HEPA filter vacuum.

Now if only my cat will not hiss at it..

UPDATE: Almost three months later and it just stopped working. It had already lost suction and made a weird noise. Of course, I have visitors coming into town and couldn't drive the 45 minutes to the closest service station as directed by customer service (there was also a service cost to have it fixed). I ended up going out and getting a Shark --- and I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars small compact surprise, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040 (Misc.)
I purchased this vacuum on sale at Target. While it looks small and compact and like a toy, it did a surprising job! It has great suction and took out dirt from rugs and floors quickly. I tried the brush attachment and the dust on the baseboard just got sucked in! Great to have everything in one place without having to attach attachments and change them. You only have to re adjust the hose for extension and slip on the crevis tool or brush. To tilt the vacuum you do have to put your foot and hold it down while pushing the handle away from the unit. That takes a bit of getting use to. The unit does not fit under furniture due to the round casing. The vacuum has a low sound and that is good compared to others which are deafening. One con at this point is that the dirt cup does not hold a lot. I did not know this when using is and it got so packed with dirt after a short time. There is a light indicator to let you know of this. I let the dirt fall from the bottom of the cup as directed when cleaning it out. However, I had to take the canaster out completely as directed and there was a lot of stuff still there. Check out the fill line when using. The filter is easy enough to clean. Another con I think is that to change the belt, one has to unscrew 7 screws to get to the bottom of the unit. That could lead to losing screws at some point. Too bad the bottom just does not snap off as other models do. And perhaps the cord could be a bit longer but for the size of this unit, it might be just right. I have always bought Hoover vacuums and never been disappointed. This is a lighweight product good, easy to use and the first bagless unit I have purchased. There may be bigger units so check those out too. The unit does not take up much space when storing it away. This one does the job for now and the price was right.

Hoover Sprint QuickVac Bagless Upright, UH20040