5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price
So I discovered that this is pretty much the exact same model as the more famous Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac with Clean Surge
It has the clean surge as well, which does great with pet urine.
I think the only difference is that it's packaged with a small bottle of the cleaner for Pets and some wipes. As far as I can tell.
I've been using it almost every...
Published on June 30, 2009 by Brooke Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars A SteamVac, but with no heat?
Published on December 22, 2011 by Eric Slay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, June 30, 2009
This review is from: Hoover SteamVac Pet Complete Carpet Washer with Clean Surge, F5918900 (Kitchen)
It has the clean surge as well, which does great with pet urine.
I've been using it almost every weekend. I get down and smell the spots afterwards and only a few times did I still smell it. I used the clean surge and it did the trick.
We also live where there's new home construction and I suspect we have a lot of 'construction dust' in our house. Apparently we do and for new carpet it's amazing how brown the water is! It picks up sand that I didn't know was there.
Still fairly new so we'll see how it ages, but so far so good. I bought a few extra gadgets for it online at [...] and they came fast. Even though I vacuum first, I still get dog hair caught up in the intake bit and the little removal tool only gets so much. I hope that I can keep it hair-free enough to make sure it doesn't become a problem. The fact that you can remove the brushes is great though, so you can wash them well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the Hoover SteamVac, You will LOVE it!!!, June 4, 2009
How do I love my Hoover SteamVac? Let me count the ways... This carpet cleaning machine is FANTASTIC. As soon as I got the SteamVac, I cleaned some incredibly filthy areas on beige carpet. One was a major stain in a high traffic area that someone trampled into the carpet, while bringing groceries in with wet and dirty shoes. The other was an old stain my daughter made from a spilled chocolate-soymilk smoothie that she didn't clean up properly because she was in a rush to go somewhere. The SteamVac cleaned both of these problem spots to such a respectable level that I won't be embarrased in front of company anymore. This is an older carpet, so it doesn't look brand new. But, that doesn't stop me from jumping for joy.

Incidentally, I don't use the expensive, petroleum-chemical-based carpet cleaning solutions. Instead, I use water and a little bit of the nontoxic 'Lemon' SimpleGreen in the solution tank. I also worked on problem spots with a toothbrush and a squirt bottle with a VERY diluted solution of dishsoap and water. Then, to eliminate soap residue, a final rinse over the whole shebang with a solution of plain vinegar and water. TIP: If you want to experiment with carpet-cleaning solutions yourself, just be sure you pick LOW-SUDSING products.

And, nobody beats AMAZON on price. Can I just say FREE SHIPPING? Incredible!

3.0 out of 5 stars A SteamVac, but with no heat?, December 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was very excited at the prospect of having a carpet cleaner that would steam clean and at least use hot water to clean the tough spots on my carpet. Unfortunately, the "SteamVac" doesn't do that. It doesn't heat the water that is being used on the carpet, nor does it produce any steam. It does blow hot air onto the carpet, though I'm not sure how that assists in cleaning the carpet.

I have a small front room, empty of furniture for the moment, but with several stains and high traffic dirt in the main walkway. I used this room as my test area to see how well this carpet cleaner worked. Below are my findings:

Pros:
* It is easy to use and set up based on the enclosed instructions.
* The machine is very sturdy and will withstand the test of time.
* The spin brushes seem to loosen the dirt and the suction does a good job extracting the water from the carpet. I could see a lot of dirt coming through the machine with each suction and when I dumped the used water it was filled with gunk.

Cons:
* The machine leaks water when it sits for a bit. I had been cleaning my carpet and stopped to answer the phone. When I returned from my phone call the machine was sitting in a puddle. What a mess!
* It isn't heated cleaning! When I returned from the phone call and started cleaning again I realized that it was just cold water going through the unit. It didn't heat or steam the water at all! If you want hot water with your cleaning, you have to put hot water in the unit initially and clean before the water cools down. This is tough because it takes a while to use.
* My spots remained on the carpet. If this would have been a true hot water/steam cleaner I think those tough spots would have been removed. Others have posted that they have gotten spots out of their carpets with this machine, but they are also doing some intensive spot treatments.
* The attachment is difficult to use on the stairs. This was a real struggle and didn't seem worth the effort.

All in all I was a bit disappointed in this machine. I was hoping it would have performed better on some of those trouble areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doglover, September 19, 2008
This is a great carpet cleaner. The scrubbing brushes is what sets it apart
and above all the other types. Easy to use. A bit heavy to push back and
forth but well worth the effort. This machine worked on spots that a
professional carpet cleaner couldn't budge. Fantastic for all stains and
great for those pets stains that happen when you least expect it. I use my
small SpotBot Pet for those little stains but this is the machine to use for
bigger stains and just to freshen and brighten up the carpet. Apparently
there is also an attachment that you can buy that will enable the machine
to clean floors too. I intend to get that but for now, it is well worth the
cost and effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, good performing cleaner, September 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off - this is exactly the same unit as the Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge except for some minor color changes in the plastic pieces and the inclusion of a package of pet wipes and a 16-oz bottle of Hoover Premium Pet Formula Detergent. That might help you choose between the two options, based on current prices. Personally, I like the cosmetic changes (but my SteamVac is six years old, so Hoover might have changed the look of that one, too - but the picture of it on Amazon still looks like mine). Also, the hand tool hose that came with this unit is black instead of the light gray shown in the Amazon photo, and I think the black looks better.

I've owned and used a Hoover SteamVac for six years and have been happy with it, so I was happy to have a chance to review this product (please note that my original SteamVac still works great after six years). Prior to that, I used a Bissell for about five years. They both have their pros and cons, but I like the Hoover best overall. The Hoover seems like a sturdier unit to me (I replaced the Bissell after it stopped pumping liquid, and the plastic seemed lighter and less sturdy on it). The Bissell was sleeker looking, as this Hoover is kind of commercial looking.

I have stain resistant carpets, so my experience could be different from others. I have cleaned up stains just with a cloth before, using Hoover cleaning solution and water. That said, this cleaner has worked excellently on pet stains that occur from time to time. Perhaps I benefit most from the ease of use. It's fairly lightweight, easy to fill with water, and easy to operate.

I've tried the included SpinScrub hand tool, and I didn't think that it worked any better than the regular hand tool. They both work fine, but I thought the spinning brushes might clean a bit better or faster. The hand tools work great for furniture, and the hose is plenty long for easy reach.

Things that I like:
- Separate tanks for the clean and dirty water. Also, no internal water bladder like on my older Bissell. The tanks are all hard plastic and easy to fill/empty.
- Very easy to use. Lightweight and easy to push around.
- Fairly quiet. My dog Niki really dislikes my vacuum cleaner, but she doesn't mind this machine too much.
- Dries the carpet pretty well when you go over the carpet without dispensing liquid.
- Because the hand tool isn't typically connected to the water line, you can remove the hose if you find it easier to use/store that way.
- The hose for the hand tool is plenty long and makes cleaning furniture easy.

Things that I'd change (and why I "like" it instead of "love" it):
- Switching to/from the hand tool. I'd like to have the hand tool be available by toggling a selector switch, like on a Bissell that I owned previously. Having to partially disassemble the unit (including removing the upper water tank) to switch between floor and hand tools is an inconvenience. While I like that I can take off the hose, I'd prefer to have to leave it on if it meant that I could quickly switch over to the hand tool.
- Being able to remove the dirty water tank without lowering the handle all the way to the floor. The clean water tank pops right out of the handle, and I wish that the dirty water tank was similarly easy to remove.
- I wish that it heated the water. Perhaps it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something that I'd like to have.

Overall, I'm happy with both designs and recommend this unit and the original SteamVac. Probably 4.5 stars for me, but I couldn't quite give it five. Paying extra for the pet formula isn't worth it to me, but I do like the slightly different cosmetics of this unit. They are good carpet cleaners, which I think is evidenced by the large number of positive reviews for both products.

5.0 out of 5 stars My carpets look good!, February 6, 2009
My husband purchased this as a Gold Box deal, it wasn't the one we were originally looking at, but for the price it would work. We had the Eureka Atlantis which leaked all over the place. I first used the Hoover in my daughter's nursery. I had shampooed the carpets in there about seven or eight months ago with the Atlantis. I used our Dyson sweeper first. When I was done shampooing the carpet the water was filthy! There was so much dirt settled on the bottom of the dirty water canister along with shipping styro foam beads! It was dry in no time and the carpet looked fantastic. It looks nice and clean. Today we did our living room floor and they look so great! Majority of the floor was dry in under 30 minutes. I can't believe the amount of dirt and animal fur it brought up. It was really worth the price and would suggest anyone buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Workhorse that Hasn't Changed Much Over the Years, January 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had one of these Hoover SteamVac units years ago, and I have long regretted getting rid of it (for an "upgrade" that wasn't). Now I'm happy to have one again. This model is essentially the same as the one I had. It is so similar that I didn't need to look at any documentation to get it up and running.

It does an excellent job of cleaning carpets, upholstery, and even vinyl floors. It doesn't over water the floor, so when it sucks the cleaner back up, the floor is pretty dry. Actually, carpet is pretty dry, vinyl is completely dry. Stains clean right up.

This is supposed to be a special model for pet owners, and while I don't see any special benefits for pet owners, this does an excellent job on the typical pet-related stains, as did my old one. I have a dog and three cats, and this actually cleans the spots and leaves them odor free. Even the dog's favorite "accident" spot.

There are only a couple of faults as far as I see them. First, it is LOUD. If you are working with this for more than a few minutes, I recommend ear protection. After five minutes in a small room my ears were ringing. Second, there is a plastic lip around the front of the vacuum that is necessary to provide even suction for the water. Unfortunately, as I know from experience with this model's predecessors, this plastic is prone to cracking. If it does, you lose most of your suction. Finally, the cleaning fluid sprays from behind the brushes, so while it does a great job of cleaning edges on its sides, it doesn't clean edges at the front. You'll need to turn a lot to get edges. It also doesn't fit well under most cabinet kicks, so you may have to do some scrubbing by hand.

Still, this is really worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pet stains, May 23, 2009
I bought this product to remove pet stains. It does a pretty good job cleaning them. The first treatment was not enough to remove the stains completely, we had to do two treatments. Now we run the cleaner about once a month for upkeep. Overall, I am very happy with this steamvac. It is also easy to clean after treating the carpets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoover Steam Vac if you have pets, May 20, 2009
I have an older pet and really needed something to help me out with his accidents in the house. My daughter has this same Hoover Steam Vac. She has two little girls with lots of spills and a standard Poodle. Needless to say, her Steam Vac is out full time. And I watched her one day use it. I was amazed at the job it did. So I came home and ordered one for myself.
It wasn't hard to put together. As long as you read the instructions. I used it the next day and just loved how easy it was. Yes I would recommend this.
I did have problems at first with it leaking when I was changing the recovery tank. That was my fault for not removing the Clean Solution Tank first. So the next time I was sure to remove the Clean Tank 1st and then the recovery tank. Then it didn't leak so much.
Now I just have to figure out how to clear debris in the nozzle that has lodged in there.
It's all about reading the instructions and caring for the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Owner of 2 Dogs, January 31, 2009
K. Velez (Fort Lauderdale, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I took advantage of this product during a gold box even though I have always had reservations about do it yourself carpet cleaners. I was happy with the performance of this machine. My living room carpet hasn't been professionally cleaned in years. We got a shih-tzu puppy over a year ago and she is fully grown at 5 pounds. Needless to say, her bladder is mighty tiny and she is always peeing on the carpet no matter how many times I take her out. I used to use a carpet spray with a rag to clean it up but it never really did the job right. While this carpet cleaner didn't make my carpet look new (I didn't expect it to), I am very happy with the results. I had to dump the dirty water tank 4 times before I was done and the water was black. I was shocked to see black water, I thought my Dyson vacuum did a better job of cleaning my carpet than that. I will have to see just how clean my carpet is deep down when I use the machine again and I see what the water looks like. I would recommend this product.

Rate and Discover Movies