Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on December 14, 2011
I knew for the price I wasn't going to get bells and whistles. I have 2 cats that do what cats do, hairballs, some easy to clean and some not. So over 5 years at our house, there were memories everywhere that if you looked really close you could see slight spots in the carpet.
The machine was easy to use, easy to assemble, and easy to clean up after. The results were very good. We have a short pile type carpet and it looks much better after cleaning. Spots I couldn't get out by hand are gone.
The downsides: Apparently there was a document/documents in the discharge tank I was unaware of because when I went to empty the tank it was full of paper debris. Lots of paper debris, big pieces of paper! The lid on the discharge tank is easy to put on wrong, no seal, no suction. And if you forget to put the measuring cup back in the fresh water tank, you have more issues :( My issues seemed to be self inflicted so I didn't hold it against the carpet cleaner.
Finally, the day after I cleaned all my carpets, one of my cats spit up in four places. I got the biggest part with paper towels. I filled the carpet cleaner tank 1/4 full with water and detergent and 5 minutes later there were no signs of the accident. Very plussed as it is usually a real pain to clean up their messes!
on December 13, 2011
This worked extremely well on my two area rugs downstairs. They look almost as good as new with bright colors and they look refreshed. The dirty water tank was pitch black after cleaning the entryway and living room rugs. The carpet upstairs looks good as well. The machine is easy to assemble and simple to operate. My only regret is that I did not buy a model with an attachment. I'm not able to clean the stairs with this. If you do not have stairs, I would recommend this.
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're going to buy a Carpet Cleaner, you might as well throw down the extra $20-$30 for the Upgraded Model of your carpet cleaner. That said, the Hoover SteamVac Spinscrub is a solid machine, but lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that the Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge possesses. The Spinscrub has the same brushes and general cleaning power that the SteamVac with Clean Surge has, but lacks the Clean Surge (For more stubborn stains or for high-traffic areas, this SteamVac also has a Clean Surge feature, which sends an extra blast of cleaning solution into the stain by simply pressing a button on the handle), the 8 foot hose attachment with stair/upholstery nozzle for cleaning stairs or upholstery, and the many tools that you can use to clean other things besides just the carpet. If you don't have pets or young children, have leather couches, and don't anticipate ever living in a two story house with carpeted stairs, this SteamVac will serve you well.

That said, we love our SteamVac. It does a stellar job getting our carpets clean, getting all those random spots out, and because it sucks all liquid off the carpet, it allows for fast dry time. A very minor gripe is that the machine blasts through the water/detergent mix very fast, and doesn't heat the water for you. This isn't a huge problem for us, as we usually have some water heating on the stove while we're cleaning, so by the time we run out of water, the next batch is ready to go. It can also be a hassle to clean out the cleaner, but in comparison to having to rent a carpet cleaning machine, it's well worth the time and hassle. Recommended.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Spinscrub 50 is built off of the same platform as the other Spinscrubs, such as the Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge. The two main differences are that it does not have either the hand tools or the "clean surge" feature. It's not just that it doesn't come with the hand tools - it lacks the internal plumbing for the tools and therefore cannot ever use them. If you don't want hand tools, then this is a nice addition to the Spinscrub line up. The lack of "clean surge" isn't very important, IMO, because that feature can be replicated by simply making another pass or two over an area while dispensing cleanser (this is because the detergent is already mixed in with the cleaning water).

I've owned and used a Hoover SteamVac for six years, and I recently was given the opportunity to try out the Hoover SteamVac Pet Complete. Both are great units and are basically the same. so I was happy to have a chance to review this product (please note that my original SteamVac still works great after six years). If you read my review for the Pet Complete, you'll see that the clumsiness of attaching the hose prior to using the hand tools was one thing that I'm not fond of. So, being able to try out this new version without hand tools was a great opportunity for me. Prior to my first SteamVac, I used a Bissell for about five years. They both have their pros and cons, but I like the Hoover best overall. The Hoover seems like a sturdier unit to me (I replaced the Bissell after it stopped pumping liquid, and the plastic seemed lighter and less sturdy on it). The Bissell was sleeker looking, as this Hoover is kind of commercial looking.

I have stain resistant carpets, so my experience could be different from others. I have cleaned up stains just with a cloth before, using Hoover cleaning solution and water. That said, this cleaner has worked excellently on pet stains that occur from time to time. Perhaps I benefit most from the ease of use. It's fairly lightweight, easy to fill with water, and easy to operate.

Something unexpectedly nice about this model is that the lack of hand tools, and hence the holders for the hose that are on the handles of the other models, allows the handle to lay flat on the ground when you lower it to remove the dirty water tank. The other two models that I have wobble a bit because the hoses are on the carpet. It's a small thing, but I like it a lot.

Things that I like:
- Separate tanks for the clean and dirty water. Also, no internal water bladder like on my older Bissell. The tanks are all hard plastic and easy to fill/empty.
- Very easy to use. Lightweight and easy to push around.
- Fairly quiet. My dog Niki really dislikes my vacuum cleaner, but she doesn't mind this machine too much.
- Dries the carpet pretty well when you go over the carpet without dispensing liquid.
- Handle lies flat on the ground (unlike the models with the hand tools) when lowered to remove the dirty water tank.

Things that I'd change, but that aren't worth removing a star:
- Being able to remove the dirty water tank without lowering the handle all the way to the floor. The clean water tank pops right out of the handle, and I wish that the dirty water tank was similarly easy to remove.
- I wish that it heated the water. Perhaps it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something that I'd like to have.

Overall, I'm happy with both designs and recommend this unit and the original SteamVac. If you don't want hand tools, this is a great choice to save some money. If you do want hand tools, step up to the other models because you cannot simply add them to this model later on.
on January 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let me start out by saying I've not tried this class of steam vac before. My experience has been with the big store-rented type and the little spot-removal type.

But WOW. I was very impressed. For a modestly priced steam cleaner, this thing packs a punch, and it is very easy to use. Had a few stubborn stains on my light-colored rug, and was able to get it out after doing a quick spot treatment, then running this vac over it. Although the stains aren't completely gone (have no idea how they got there -- maybe I don't wanna know!), they have diminished so much that you can barely see them. A vast improvement.

There are three settings -- a super scrub (fast spinning brushes), gentle (slower spinning), and off (for picking up spills). I found the "off" setting to be great after using the brush setting, because it picked up a ton more moisture from the rug even when it felt pretty dry.

The water compartments are easy to fill and clean. Overall, a very simple vac, but effective and easy to maneuver. It will pay for itself in just a few uses, especially if you have pets. A very good buy.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Through the Amazon Vine review program, I recently received the Hoover SteamVac Spinscrub 50 Carpet Cleaner. It's a bit amusing, in that both my wife and sister-in-law laughed at me for selecting it, as "we already have a carpet cleaner". Fast forward about three weeks... the old one (emphasize "old") broke, and guess who wanted to try out the new one? There's less laughter now, and they really like the Spinscrub... even better than whatever we used to have.

It was easy to assemble out of the box and no one was stressed out before the carpet cleaning even began. They really thought this unit was much easier to use. The two separate tanks (one for dirty and one for clean water) was a better setup, and the spin brushes did a good job getting up spots. The suction left the carpet damp but not wet, and everything was dry within three hours. While this doesn't have all the on-board tools for upholstery and such, they liked the simplicity of set-up because they only were focused on the carpet cleaning. That meant there were no hoses and tools all over the place to trip them up. They much preferred the Hoover Spinscrub to the old Bissell steam cleaner, and they were able to clean two+ rooms before having to empty and refill the tanks (as compared to just one with the Bissell. To top it all off, they found it came apart easier for cleaning brushes and the clear front suction panel.

All in all, the Spinscrub is a basic carpet cleaning unit that performs perfectly on what it's designed to do... clean carpets deeply and easily.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using the Hoover SteamVac Spin Scrub TurboPower Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge, F5912900 for some time, but had to leave it behind in our recent move. So I was very happy to have a chance to review this through the vine program, it was like getting an old friend back.

Since I do not have stairs, I am not frustrated by not having the attachments. But I do miss them for furniture cleaning. This is a basic model, so if these are important to you, I recommend that you find another cleaner.

There are three settings on this, power, gentle and spill pickup. Since there are no attachments, you can use spill pickup for any action where you do not need the scrubbers. Other than that, it is a matter of fill, clean, and empty.

Good points: VERY EASY assembly! Two screws/bolts, two nuts, and you are done. They simply go straight through the handle! I had one slight problem, when the second screw wouldn't go through, and I realized there was a tiny piece pf plastic in the hole. I used the screwdriver to poke it through, and a few seconds later I was done.

I love having the top/bottom, with the top for the clean water and the bottom for the grey water.

Finally, my last Hoover was very long-lasting, so I am looking forward to this one being just as sturdy.

On the down side
First of all, the instructions included are for two different models of the spin scrub, and are very confusing when you can't find the part they are discussing, or when they discuss the scrub settings and yours are completely different from the instructions.

This model comes with a piece of cardboard inside of the nozzle. It is not obvious, since it is the same color as the vac, and the start up instructions don't mention it. My first realization that it even existed was after I had been using it when the soggy cardboard showed up in my tank! The remaining portion of the cardboard is still in my nozzle. I have been able to remove some of it using the flat tool called "nozzle cleaner," but the rest will have to work its way out.

FYI, if you see a flat piece of funny looking plastic, don't throw it away, look at it closely. It is the Nozzle Clean Out Tool and let's you clean out the nozzle on the top of the vac. It got part of the cardboard out, but it is awkward to use.

Finally, the top tank of this one is tighter than my old one, and you really have to push hard to pop it in.

I am glad to have an "old friend" back, but wish my first experience with it had gone better so that I could give it five stars.

The machine comes with a 16 oz bottle of Hoover Deep Cleansing Detergent, 48 Ounces, AH30110, but having used it before, I prefer Hoover OXY Detergent, 48 Ounces, AH30140. They also have one specifically for pets, but I find the Oxy one works well with our dogs.
on June 16, 2014
This does a good job at cleaning when it's working right, but it eventually it leaks solution onto the floor when standing. I own one, my son owns one and my daughter owns one. After one to two years, all three leaked. I isolated the leak to the trigger. It looks pretty well built, except for the trigger mechanism, which breaks. I took it apart and a flimsy plastic part of the trigger was broken. The trigger didn't even work. It just slowly dribbled cleaning solution onto the carpet. My next carpet cleaner will NOT be a Hoover.
on January 5, 2013
A few months ago I wrote a review for the Hoover Max, one of the newest products put out by Hoover's carpet-cleaning team. Rarely do I write reviews where I trash a product, because most things I buy do what they are purported to do. The Hoover Max, on the other hand, sucked but did not suck. Irony? Yes. I had purchased the Max when our old Steam Vac was out of service because we were stupid enough to loan it to neighbors (insert insult here; I understand). Finally, last week, I said "screw it" and went out to Wal-Mart and bought the lower-priced--and less sensationalized--Hoover Steam Vac, for 129 dollars plus tax, because our newest addition to the household, Molly, an Olde English Bulldogge, had horked up all over the living room after being spayed. Yuck. Poor Molly. Poor carpets.

Thank you, Hoover, for continuing to make this wonderful machine. Let me tell you about it:

This machine competes very well in reviews against Bissell and the Rug Doctor's machines. With the exception of cleaning in a somewhat strip-like pattern due to the five brushes on the underside of the carriage, this machine cleaned more thoroughly and sucked up more water than the competitors. You can easily go over the same area once in a different direction or one inch over to alleviate the pattern, and who doesn't go over dirty areas more than once anyway?

This machine now also come with the most excellent of little tools -- a little scraping wand that fits right up into the uptake section of the front of the machine. Most of we old-schoolers who have had older versions of this machine would use a screwdriver to take the front plastic hood off to clean the intake portion of the machine. Now all you have to do is shove this little genius piece of plastic up and scrape down. Then you can use some clean water on the floor in order to clean out the front of the machine.

The suction ability of this machine is the freaking bomb. I had become used to the half-assed suckery of the Max; when I used this machine last week on bulldog hork, I exclaimed "yes!" and continued to work it like a mad housewife, because I forgotten how great this little machine sucks the cleaner and water back up.

Now there is a more consistent congruency between the top tank--the cleaner--and the dump tank--the bottom portion where all the dirty water goes. It used to be that I had to dump the dirty water before the cleaning solution was finished ... and just only before the cleaning product was used up. Now they both empty at around the same time.

The cleaning of this machine is excellently easy. There is a visible screen you can access with a slight *pop* of a flat-head screwdriver near the front of the machine in order to clean off stuff that might cause the brushes to not spin. On the Max, there are two screens, and one is near inaccessible. Argh.

The price is wonderful. Let me think: 129 dollars plus tax for a machine that leaves my carpets almost completely dry after kicking their dirty butts, or 229 dollars for a new machine that leaves my carpets to full of water that I end up walking on wetness the next day? The Steam Vac wins again.

The quality of this machine has not been compromised. It still is built to last.

I would recommend this machine, regardless of the cheap price, over any steam cleaner on the market again and again, and I have raised kids, rescued pets, and hosted more parties than you could shake a barf bucket at. I have used the Rug Doctor at work, a Bissell from a neighbor, and used three versions of this machine and one version of the Hoover Max. This machine is worth the money.

Just take care of it.

Thank you for reading my review!
on December 23, 2011
Bought this while it was a lightning deal on Amazon for $99. My sister also has a Hoover carpet cleaner and I was tired of borrowing hers. I have 2 dogs so I decided to make the investment. I cleaned the carpet last night and I must say that this carpet cleaner works great for the price. It is missing some of the accessories of the more expensive carpet cleaner (hose attachment, handle on the dirty water bucket, longer cord), but it is well worth the price.