4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job at a Nice Price
My decision to purchase this was mostly on price and gauging its ease of use.

Since renting one from the market is around $50 including shampoo, my thinking was this was an appropriate price to pay for this since after three cleanings, it's yours plus you don't have to return anything.

The other factor is ease of use. This is pretty straightforward...
Published on August 2, 2006 by KC

3.0 out of 5 stars great for about 1.5 years
This is great for about a year and a half, then it needs a lot of TLC.

Published on July 30, 2007 by C. Bare

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job at a Nice Price, August 2, 2006
This review is from: Hoover SteamVac Spin Scrub TurboPower Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge, F5912900 (Kitchen)
My decision to purchase this was mostly on price and gauging its ease of use.

The other factor is ease of use. This is pretty straightforward. The top container holds the clean water and shampoo. After using, the "sucked up" dirty water is in the container at the bottom.

The Hoover here is nice in that both snap in and out pretty easily.

There are some things to keep in mind.

Try to use near boiling hot water (or a mixture of near boiling water and hot water from the faucet) - you will get a more efficent clean. Pour in the shampoo AFTER you put the water in the container - otherwise you'll get a slew of foam instead of being able to fill it with water to its highest level.

Afterwards, the things always leak some (maybe if you pay $400, it's not a problem) so as soon as you finish, take it outside and start to disassemble the thing. Then dump out the dirty water and hose off the dirty water container. If you can leave it outside for a while to let it dry as it will still drip a little.

This model will do about a 50' by 40' room or so before you need to refill with clean water and empty out the dirty water so if you have many huge rooms, this might not be for you ... or your help will grumble as you have to repeat :-)

If there are specific spots, you still need to spray it with one of those carpet cleaner sprays.

The hose attachment is nice for carpeted stairs but the main unit is pretty bulky so plan carefully so it doesn't tip over (water).

The only real con is that it be nice if the power cord was retractable but other than that, it does what it says it does and the two containers are easy to fill & remove.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INVESTMENT!, August 22, 2006
Scarlett (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I was hesitant that this would be a worthwile purchase because hoover makes some pretty junky vacuums, however, after reading reviews decided to buy it! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! I have had this cleaner for approximately 8 months and have used it several times already, and it is truly amazing for a few reasons.

1) It doesn't truly "steam" carpet - BUT if you put some boiling water in reservoir with detergent it does improve cleaning, but I have cleaned with regular hot tap water with good results too.

2) You will be disgusted, amazed, and pleased at how much dirt this thing gets out of your carpets. Secondly, it really fluffs it up with the 5 rotating brushes.

3) Works great on removing stains quickly (I have an almost 2 year old) so, juice, milk, throwup, you name it! etc. It cleans it out completely. Clean surge also helps.

4) In a couple of hours (or less) the carpet is really DRY!!!

5) Finished carpet "feels" clean. You can get down on it and you just know it is clean like a line dried towel.

I haven't tried it on upholstery or car but will eventually. I am sure that it will do an equally fantastic job!

It is really addicting to use. I have used it probably 4 or 5 times already, no problems. It is true that it will leak a little after you are done with it, but it can easily be wiped up. Can't really complain that much about it. Results are amazing! I hope it lasts a long time. It is definitely worth the money considering what it costs to have it professionally done and also cost of renting a machine (which doesn't do half the job).

3.0 out of 5 stars great for about 1.5 years, July 30, 2007
This is great for about a year and a half, then it needs a lot of TLC.

First, you need to COMPLETELY clean out the collection chamber or it gets smelly. There are a lot of small corners, nooks and cranies that hold sediment in the collection chamber. They can't be reached with a toothbrush; you need a coat hanger with a rag wound around it. Also, if you have any pet hair or fluffy lint associated with your carpets, you'll need to disassemble the front part to get rid of the accumulation.

Suction is great until there is a year's worth of wear and tear. After about a year, the hose inside tore away from the fitting because there is insufficient 'slack' in the hose. THank goodness for duct tape. I'm now tired of retaping and am looking to purchase a new machine. (Not this one). Also, the accumulation as mentioned before seriously affects suction and its a nasty wet mess to take it all apart mid-cleaning.

The cap on the tank too is likely to lose its little rubber plug and you cannot use it any more to measure soap without dribbling all over the place.

The hand tool is only fair. You're better off squirting your steps and scrubbing them with a brush. It's good for sucking up the water.

I do like the brush configuration. THe round rotary brushes are much better than a single bar brush. These require a belt to drive them and the belts break easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SteamVac, July 17, 2006
I have three dogs and have had a lot of traffic on my carpets. This steamvac cleaned the carpet areas very well. I was very impressed with the amount of dirt that it pulled up versus other steamvacs that I have used on the carpets in the past. It definatley works much better than the kind you can rent from the grocery store. The only issues that I had with it was that it took a long time to clean the carpets (had to go really slowly for it to clean well), but that could have been because the carpets were so dirty. The handheld cleaner for upholstery was a little bulky for small jobs.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. Hoover offers an excellent warranty also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in USA, October 26, 2006
Can you believe it - made in Canton, Ohio instead of China. I owned one of the $300 top of the line Hoovers purchased from a department store. Twice the upper clear acrylic tank had to be replaced - $55 a piece and then the bottom clear tank would not seal and the motor was going out according to the vacum shop mechanic. After reading many reviews of the top of the line models, I concluded that they are prone to break down and basically cheaply constructed. I asked the vacum store guy about it and he said that the expensive models in the department stores are made in China out of Chinese parts and he considered them junk. He recommended this basic model by Hoover which he claimed is rock solid, made of heavy duty parts in Canton, Ohio. The tanks are an opaque polymer which he said you can bounce on the floor and they won't leak. When I got it, the first thing I did was look at the label. Sure enough - "Made in the USA". Amazing. Cleans great. As far as the rinse feature on higher models, it means another tank and fittings and one more thing to go wrong. You control the exact amount of detergent being used - low tech but accurate and dependable. Since the directions said to let it dry before running a rinse I don't rinse anymore anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Carpet Cleaner, March 21, 2008
I've been researching a carpet cleaner for over a month now and the one I actually decided to buy has recently been discontinued (Hoover Agility). My research was done to find the best, most reliable carpet cleaner one can reasonably buy, regardless of price. Although I do want to point out that I was buying a cleaner using my Discover Card points and was willing to "spend" upwards of $300. My research yielded no good cleaners at that price point based on mostly customer reviews here on Amazon as well as other online review websites. My silver medalist was the Hoover SteamVac 5912-900, purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond using their 20% coupon bringing the total just around $150. The 5914-900 was not available locally.

First Impressions:
I have to admit I was a little taken aback at how cheap the unit looked. I actually passed it over when doing hands on research at stores in my area because I was certain it couldn't be one of the better rated cleaners. I'm glad I did the extra research though and came back to this unit. When I got it home, it was fairly easy to assemble, taking less than 15 minutes. Many users have commented on the plastic look and feel of the 5914-900 - and I have to say when you get it put together and roll it around your room, you may feel as if you made a bad purchase. It's definitely not a sexy machine. I've borrowed one of the higher end Bissell carpet cleaners from my sister-in-law about 6 months ago and the initial difference is night and day. The high end units are much nicer looking, and have much wider cleaning paths. They "feel" more significant. The long term reviews on those more expensive units, however, are poor, so I guess looks and price can be deceiving.

Carpet Cleaning:
Surprisingly, it cleans very well. I would put it right up there with the more expensive units, or maybe slighty below, but it does the job. Again, the reviews on longevity for those other units steered me away. If it were a one time cleaning project, I'd go with the $300 units but, of course, we are all buying these to last - and do a great job.

We have light beige carpets that are at least 15 years old. We have two kids and a dog. Carpets aren't in that good of a shape. Our first cleaning - following the directions - yielded a very dark brown water in our living room. We did another cleaning later that night which produced a lighter shade of brown which made me think one of three things:

1) our carpets were disgusting
2) lucky we are doing more than one pass with the cleaner
3) why didn't the cleaner do a better job of cleaning the first time around?

The third point about doing a better job the first time around - I probably can't answer that. Especially since I can't compare it to other machines. I'm assuming there is only so much these consumer grade cleaners can do. I can't imagine, though, even the $300 versions would have done that much better.

We followed up shortly afterward with just a hot water rinse (just didn't add soap) and the carpets felt a little more natural. The water was still a light shade of brown, but I was confident that the carpet was getting clean (or was clean enough for us).

Pushing/pulling the unit was easy. Yes the tanks are small and you have to change them a lot, but that is almost the fun of it really. You WANT to see that brown water pour down your drain. Bottom collection bin is easy to take out and pour...the top is a little difficult to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you will be fine. Also, I know some reviews here have said to use boiling water. I don't know if I want to be trying to pour scalding hot water into a little container, although the extra temperature probably does help. At your own risk!

The upholstery attachment works ok. It does spray the cleaner all over the place but I was surprised at how well it did suck up the water from the attachment. The water pulled from the couch and chairs was a light brown, so it did work...but I wish it wasn't so messy.

Bottom Line:
I wish the only feature it had was a hot water heater, but then again it's probably why the unit is under $200. The built in heater it claims that applies heat directly to the floor...worthless. Other than style and better plastic, it is a solid unit. Time will tell on longevity. I'd consider it a success if it lasts 3 years plus. I would also keep an eye out for any Amazon deals on the cleaner as they just so happened to have a deal where you buy 3, get the 4th free on their 128 oz bottles. Much bigger than what you get locally at stores and priced the same or cheaper per ounce - and that's without getting that 4th bottle free. We used up 3/4 of the 16 oz bottle it came with in our living room.

A solid buy for a solid price!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product WORKS GREAT, October 29, 2006
this is the best steam cleaner it really gets your carpets looking like new again and I was very surprised that it worked great on old stains as well. I love the attachments for the furniture as a pet owner the attachments and the cleaner work wonders. I especially like the turbo surge button this works for the high traffic areas and I have 2 dogs that like to roll around the carpet to itch there backs and these spots get dirter,so this feature works GREAT for cleaning the deep down areas, makes my carpet's look new again!This is also easy to use to fill the water and empty it too, I am VERY mechianically not smart but this is soooo easy to figure and and use it is a breeze! I LOVE MY cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Deal, October 14, 2006
Book Worm (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
I read many reviews online and decided to go with Hoover instead of Bissell or other brands, and I am glad I did. My carpets looked like new after using the steamvac. Like everyone else says, it is amazing how much dirt and grime you actually have in your carpets. I haven't tried the clean surge yet, but I highly recommend this machine for basic cleaning of carpets. It sucks up an amazing amount of water, which means that your carpets will be dry in no time. Well worth the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars So close, and yet so far, July 11, 2009
S.A. "bham" (Southeastern MI USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Overall I am happy I bought this carpet shampooer. I have three kids and a dog and light carpet, and I don't know how I ever did without it. When I am done with a room, I am always amazed at the difference.

However, I have had this machine for 10 months now, and the honeymoon is definitely over. The little annoyances just add up. The tools are - to me- so counter-intuitive that I have to focus the entire time I am using it. The pedal to turn it off and on (lower usage) is right next to your foot, and the pedal to lower the handle (for me, much higher usage) is awkwardly on the opposite side of the big old upright tank. So you have to straddle a tank full of hot water every time you want to lower the handle. I don't have to "think" the whole time I use my dyson vacuum, that's for sure.

Like other reviewers, the uneven tank changing thing strikes me as very ill-planned. Why not give a little extra room in the collection tank, so that when you run out of cleaning solution, you just stop and refill and empty at the same time, rather than having the collection tank so small you almost always have a quarter tank of hot solution ready to go and so you have to stop twice as much.

The attachment thing is so difficult and cumbersome to be nearly worthless to me. As a result, I rarely do the upholstery, and HATE when I have to do the stairs. So difficult to set up, and constant problems with the suction and solution feed. I have tried all the suggestions on "priming" the solution, etc. and finally I have given up and just get an empty spray bottle and fill it with hot water and dump it on the stairs.

Dumping the dirty water tank is not much fun either (although I do enjoy seeing the filth I have collected!). A handle would be nice, and so would some kind of pouring spout on the thing. I can't tell you how many time I have dumped icky water all over my counters or bathroom floor while I was trying to empty it. Even full it is not that heavy - but it hurts my back anyway because I have to carry it awkwardly away from my body.
I agree with everyone - the carpets come way cleaner if you use hot water. Most of the time that's all I use.

I know I have whined a lot about a product that I actually think is an excellent buy. Amazon delivered it like lightning to my house, and it has transformed the bulk of my carpets. I love it for the wide open spaces. For stairs and upholstery, not so much. I hope Hoover is paying attention to the reviews of this carpet cleaner, because they could hit one out of the park in the next generation with very few changes if they are listening!

***UPDATE*** I still use this carpet cleaner once or twice a month and would never go back to renting the big machine from the home improvement store. However, the attachments don't work anymore. The sprayer stopped spraying and just drools down my arm. So now I just dump hot water onto my stairs or onto the upholstry. The suction still works so I can suck it up, but it is less than ideal. Also, it is a good idea to invest in some carpet protection if you are shampooing your carpets often. After several sessions, the original protection the carpet came with is totally gone. I started to notice my carpets getting dirty at a much faster rate after I got the Hoover. Then I bought a heavy duty sprayer and a huge jug of carpet protector and after I shampoo I let them dry a bit and then spray protector over the area I have cleaned. Much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but problems with leaking, April 5, 2007
I found that this product does a good job cleaning the carpet. It doesn't soak it through, and I couldn't believe the amount of dirt that it removed from the carpet. However, it has a serious leaking problem, so bad that I am considering calling the manufacturer for a new product. When using the hand tool the device still leaks from the base. Also unless you use the entire cleaning solution or remove the compartment completely after you turn it off it will leak all over the floor. Overall, it's aggravating but still effective at cleaning.

Rate and Discover Movies