2,080 Reviews

1,303 of 1,324 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars It sucks - which is a good thing
Like most "dudes", vacuuming is way low on stuff I like to do but wallowing in my own entropic filth is even lower on the list so this puppy seems to fit the bill quite well.

The goods:

1. Good suction power. Some stuff like threads that tend to get entangled in the rug fibers don't get sucked in by the brush (which is not surprising) but easy enough...
Published on May 14, 2011 by ScotchyScotchScotch

1.0 out of 5 stars First Impression: Excellent. After one month: Poor
I received my Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet Rewind yesterday and have used it exactly twice, including a whole-house cleaning on hardwood and low-pile carpet today. So obviously this brief review is a first impression. My impression is that this is very good, powerful, feature-rich machine --- especially considering the low-cost.

And it seems quite sturdy,...
Published on March 16, 2012 by Don

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great. Poor Dirt Container Design ., November 16, 2010
This vacuum does do a good job in picking up pet hair. However, the design of the dirt container is quite poor. The dirt container is extremely small, so you will be stopping in the middle of your cleaning to empty it often. Not only is the container small, but the container has a center cylindar that has a curved lip on the bottom of it preventing any clumped pet hair and dirt to fall out into the garbage when the container bottom is opened. I had to routinely stick my hand into the dirt container and pull out the dirt and pet hair in order to empty it. That is not pleasant or a clean feeling.
The vacuum does have positives though, it did work well and I loved the pet hair attachments. The attachments worked very well - so well that the small dirt container couldn't keep up. Also, the cord rewind is awesome! Another plus: I did like the idea that the filters could be cleaned at home and never had to be replaced, but that was not enough for me to keep this vacuum over the dirt container's design flaws. Hoover, you disappointed me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoover vs. Dyson, January 31, 2012
Bjr "bjr" (Omaha, Nebraska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Bagless Upright Vaccum, UH70210 (Kitchen)
I have both a dyson and this hoover T-Series that I just purchased. Without a doubt the dyson does a much better job than the Hoover. However the Dyson was $400 more than the Hoover. The Hoover is a much lighter vacuum and if you go over the same area once or twice it picks up as much as the Dyson. I like the retractable cord alot. On the Dyson you have to wrap it around and getting the cord off ususally ends up in a tangle. The hoover was purchased for the upstairs of our house as it is much easier to have one upstairs and one down so you need not carry one up and down the stairs. We have a long haired dog (border collie/retriever mix) that sheds alot. Both vacuums picked up the hair wonderfully the dyson doing it just a little faster. The cannister on the hoover is slightly smaller than the dyson and needs to be emptied more but that is okay since it is doing its job picking up the dog hair. Emptying the dyson cannister is also easier being able to do it one handed. All of that being said I would rate the dyson a 5 and the hoover a 4.5 and would certainly purchase another one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Down, April 22, 2010
I purchased this as a replacement for a failing Hoover Windtunnel that was about ten years old. Since it was an emergency purchase, the price was very attractive and reasonable. Because of the durability of my previous model as well as Consumer Reports ratings I had to have another Hoover. I have mixed feelings about this model. First I'll say that what it can clean it cleans very well. It is lighter than my other vacuum and easy to use. Since I have all the parts from my old vacuum and they are compatible I am able to adapt and deal with the limitations of this model. However, if you don't have Hoover extras lying around or this is your first vacuum purchase, be aware of some things.

The power tool is ok, but inferior to the power hand tool on my previous model that has bristles. I am finding it takes more effort and time to achieve the same cleaning results with this power tool. It does eventually get the job done. As others have noted, the stretch hose is unmanageable with the vacuum turned on. Since only one extension wand is included I have to use the ones from my old vacuum to be able to clean without breaking my back. There is no dusting tool, dirt sensor or edge cleaning on this model. Considering this is supposed to be their latest product I find this disappointing.You would think their latest offering would include at least one model with all the bells and whistles some of us have come to rely on. The pet hair tool is ok, but doesn't seem to work any better than the upholstery tool on my old vac. Love the cord rewind! It is fabulous.

Then there is the dust bin. Bagged or bagless? It's a hard choice to make. Each has it's benefits and disadvantages. I tried my best, but would often forget to change the bag on my previous model until it was overfilled. Even with bagged models there is some dust when changing the bags. That is why I said the heck with it and decided to try the bagless model. I do think the bagless vacuum is helping me clean better because I can see the dirt. I think the dirt cup has much less capacity than a bag, but having to empty it several times just to complete one house cleaning has made me realize I didn't empty the bag nearly enough before. I'm still perfecting the bin dump technique but do have some suggestions. If possible do the emptying outside. The dust plume is unavoidable. Use a bag or can that has a wide opening you don't have to hold to avoid spills. Wear disposable gloves because you will have to pull the dirt out by hand. That is especially true if you have pets. I am considering purchasing an extra dust bin and filter to make maintenance easier. Also be aware that the filter needs to be changed about every two years.

I would plan to purchase extra accessories not included with this model in order to achieve thorough cleaning unless you already have extras. The cleaning is excellent. The vacuum is good overall not great. I would like to see a full featured version in the future and would choose to buy it. For the money I think it is a very good buy. Make sure to read the instruction manual. Some of the problems other reviewers had are addressed in the manual. I followed all the instructions and did not have problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, November 14, 2010
I have three dogs. This is the best thing I ever bought for myself. It has amazing suction, and I even got one of the doctors I work with to ditch his Dyson to get one of these and he is glad he did. He says it works better then the Dyson. I love the feature of turning off the floor brush, its so quick and easy to go straight from carpet to hardwood. The hose attachment looks very short but it stretches a lot. The small attachments have rubber instead of brushes which makes it work very well on the pet hair, because it gets picked up and sucked up instead of just getting tangled in the brushes. Every now and then I wish I had a brush attachment, but the pluses of this vacuum more than forgive that problem. Oh and the emptying mechanism is great because it has a long switch so you can put it in the very bottom or your trash can before opening it. I have yet to spill anything so far. If you have pets, buy this vacuum, you will not regret it I promise!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, May 30, 2012
I am the owner of 2 basset hounds, 1 cat, and 1 very messy Marine husband. We live in a 2400 square foot house that was built in 1939. Before this vacuum, I was using a shop vac to suck up all of the pet hair in my house (Yes, a shop vac. It's the only thing that had good enough suction power...).

So, after almost two years of using the shop vac, my husband told me he couldn't stand it any longer. Thus, we bought this beauty :) I wasn't expecting much. I was excited to test out the retractable cord, and eager to prove to my husband that no vacuum can suck up pet hair as good as a shop vac. He proved me wrong, BIG time. So, here are all the good things about this vacuum:

1. Rubber wheels. I have houseful of hardwood floors and previous vacuums had the plastic wheels that are noisy against bare floors. These wheels are made of rubber, which provides for a nice, quiet, easily maneuverable vacuum.

2. Suction. Man this thing has power! it does a better job that our shop vac did, and I was not expecting this at all. This vacuum gets everything from little gritty dirt bits (which I still don't know how they mysteriously appear) to the whopping balls of fur and shredded pet toys.

3. Hose power. The hose attachment has great suction too. I read several reviews about the hose being too short, but I disagree. I am used to extra long hoses on our shop vac, but the hose (with attachments) can reach the cobwebs on our 9-ft ceilings.

4. Retractable cord. Yes, it's as cool as it sounds. Here's a little tip: There's a little piece of yellow tape approximately 1 foot before you reach the end of the cord. This tape indicates that you should stop pulling. It's there to prevent you from pulling to hard and damaging the retractable mechanism.

5. Front handle. There's a handle that is on the front side of the vacuum which makes it really easy to carry up and down stairs. I also wasn't expecting this feature.

6. Consumer-friendly. Because our house is so old, I am surprised how well this vacuum has fit our needs. We have tons of little nooks and ornate structures in the house, and I have had no problem with this vacuum being able to reach any part of the house.

Now for the not-so-good:

1. The cord gets warm to the touch after approximately 30 minutes of non-stop use. However, it's not warm enough to be harmful to children or pets. I suspect it's because the vacuum uses so much power.

2. It's a little heavier than I expected. (This tends to mean it is built better than cheaper, flimsier vacuums, but I would not suggest this vacuum for an elderly person or someone who can't put out the extra muscle to carry it up and down stairs.)

Just remember that vacuums don't work on their own. There were several reviews of users that weren't happy that they had to move the hose attachments around on upholstery in order to gather all the pet hair. Well, yes, you do have to put forth some effort in order to get the results that you want! Overall, I love this vacuum. I am so impressed that I will stick to the Hoover brand for a very long time. I may even be guilty of spending more time with my vacuum than my husband ;) Not really, but it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this vacuum cleaner, July 6, 2011
Audrey (Powder Springs, GA) - See all my reviews
I have a 90lb mixed shephard dog who sheds like crazy. Her hair was driving me so crazy that, besides my many swiffer products, I bought the vacuum broom, the electric swiffer product that vacuums on one side and cleans on the other, I have two carpet cleaners and two bag vacuum cleaners, yet still, I was just going to throw out my runner (rug). When I bought this vacuum (I got it for a steal at Kohl's with a 30% off coupon and on sale) that rug was my first challenge. I had it on the back deck for a long time before brining it back in and deciding it was going to have to go. It is a fairly dark rug and my dog is light brown. This cleaner COMPLETELY cleared my rug of that dog hair. As a matter of fact, I was disgusted by the amount of hair in my upstairs carpet. My first floor is hardwood so I was always able to clean those, but it was just a never ending task. I went nuts when I first bought this cleaner and I still love using it. I have only had it for about a month, so I take heed to the comments on parts, etc.. Hopefully, I will not find such issues but if I do, I'll let you know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rewind Broke, Hose Short, but it does vacuum, March 16, 2012
I'm putting this on top since the review is daunting now: COOLEST FEATURE EVER ON A VACUUM, ability to turn off the brush head. Why? To clean a bare floor? That is a stupid excuse Hoover: ITS FOR WHEN YOU USE THE HOSE ATTACHMENT, IT DIRECTS ALL POWER TO THE SUCTION SYSTEM and ITS SAFER because you're not paying attention to where the spinning brush is pointed, like eating your window treatments or biting your dogs face off. I am keen to this because every time I used an attachment tool on other vacuums, I locked the vacuum head so I could tilt the brush head off the carpet, so I could get MAX rpm therefore MAX suction; then I stress about the brush head being exposed, it was a catch 22.

Rewind does not affect the performance of vacuuming. Here is what happened with the rewind gimmick, I am very mechanically inclined, as I thought was the issue with some other clowns on here. I unwound it about 60%, got done vacuuming, then the thing wouldn't rewind; I had to keep jerking it out inch-by-inch trying to get it to release. Several failed attempts, banging the rewind unit, jostling the vacuum around, putting it upsidown...inch-by-inch, I could see the yellow warning stripe....inch-by-inch, I get to the red warning stripe...I start sweating profusely, "No, please, No" I keep thinking to my self...End of the Line for the GIMMICK. Who freaking cares about the useless rewind, NOT A DEAL BREAKER, for over a decade (when I moved out LOL), I always coiled the cord up by hand and flopped it over the handle.

Okay, minus 1-star for the stiff hose. The hose, on paper, is long. The hose, in reality, doesn't want to be that long, lots of resistance as you're fighting it. Its worse with that cool spinning tool, because of the low-pressure caused by restriction of that tool. I am guessing the hose needs to be broken in. I periodically put the attachment tool on the end, stretch it out all the way, and jam the tool under the couch or hook it on the elliptical machine. I leave it there all day. Over time it should loosen up, but this shouldn't have to be done by the customer.

Tools: The spinning tool only works well on certain surfaces, you're going to have to test it out. The spinning tool will also bog down, so you need to do short strokes to allow it to spin up faster when you lift off.

The static attachment (non-spinning) is the GO-TO tool for removing pet hair. I use it on various clothing, including my suit. I have a fleece lined jacket filled with my dogs hair (shes an Airedale uncut) and other light polyester like threads, this tool will work out all of that visible hair, pushing all of the stuff in one direction. Prior to this, I used one of those sticky pet hair rollers, it didn't pick up any hair.

The CYCLONE filter branded WindTunnel: Holy crap this thing picks up some fine particles; its like moon dust. The more moon dust in the container, the less dust is in the air filters, I like that.

I figured out the way to empty the hair/dirt filled container with out touching junk:

1) Press the long grey button to release the bottom flap
2) Turn the top housing counter-clockwise about the clear container
3) Lift up 1-2 inches and hold, start jiggling
4) Set the top housing onto the container and twist back counter-clockwise

There is no issue with "reaching in" to pull out hair all the time. When I do have to get in to clear up the tiny junk, I use a paper-towel over my fingers and gently wipe away debris.

Update: October 7, 2012
Still works great, loves the pet hair, DOES NOT STINK. I've cleaned the top foam filter a couple times. Nothing else has broken so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to WindTunnel Rewind UH70120, June 9, 2011
Jan (Brookings, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I picked up the Hoover WindTunnel Rewind first, returned it and got this model. I am coming from a canister vac. Our floors are 100% hardwood and tile, with three area rugs and a couple of doormats. I will refer to Hoovers as WTR for the WindTunnel Rewind UH70120, and WTP for this model, the Pet Rewind.

Both models pick up well on bare floor. Unfortunately the WTR has no switch to turn off the roller brush and it seemed to be scouring the finish on my wood floor (no obvious damage, but I only ran it very briefly as this seemed to be a forceful and rapid action), and was very noisy on bare floors. I judged the WTR model to be unsuitable for wood floors, and poorly suited for tile. The WTR performed very well on the carpet and was quiet. The tool kit and accessory hose were great, with plenty of reach and easy to use. Edge cleaning was excellent.

The WTP has the switch to turn off the roller brush for bare floors and when using the accessory hose. It does a fine job of picking up dirt from the middle of the room, and is reasonably quiet on bare floor. Unfortunately, apparently due to the incorporation of the fold down handle, the hose design differs from the WTR. I found the hose to be shorter and require too much effort to keep extended. This makes using the tool kit and hose impractical for significant work. I should point out that I am a 200+ pound male capable of lifting an 80 lbs bag of concrete no problem. The hose spring is so strong that it pulls the unit around excessively, and limits reach to the ceiling (our low 7' ceilings, I might add), even with the extension tube and crevice tool both attached. It is difficult to control well. I should mention, that it seemed ok in the store when the unit wasn't running, but part of the problem is that actual suction adds to the effective load. The problem was only apparent in actually trying to use the unit to work around the cabinet tops in my kitchen. Additionally, the pet tools are usable, but not as nice as the standard tools, if you don't have a pet.

I also found the WTP unit to be significantly poorer at edge cleaning than the WTR. This is important because whereas with my canister I could readily vacuum at right angles to the counter (so the front of the brush head contacted the baseboard/kickplate parallel), with the two Hoover uprights I found that impractical due the size and maneuverability limitations. So, while the WTR did a fine job just running the edge along the base board, the WTP left a lot of stuff and required that I run it front on, which I felt was impractical.

Both units have great cord length, and perfectly usable rewind unit, and solid build. I didn't run either long enough to need to empty the dirt bucket, so no comment on that. I didn't use the WTR long on the carpet, but it seemed fine, and was quiet. The WTP was difficult to use on carpet (area rug). It wouldn't run straight, and didn't seem to pick up as well as I would have liked.

The manufacturers all seem to be pushing how wide their cleaning path is. Yes, it certainly seems like a wider path would mean less effort and a faster job. But I found that the old canister, with it's 9" cleaning head, was much more efficient in bathrooms, and elsewhere if space is limited. These uprights require that you stop and use the accessory hose to clean in such areas. On the other side of the same coin, it is so nice to be able to switch from bare floors to carpet, to accessory hose without stopping and making a project of it, as the canister required. Each has their advantages.

The conclusion that I have reached is that the WTR is a superb unit if you have wall to wall carpet, or very small tile or linoleum areas. It is not suited to wood floors. The WTP incorporates too many compromises. Frankly without usable accessories it becomes a big, heavy, ungainly stick vacuum. The advantages of a full upright vs a stick are largely lost in the WTP and it becomes less useful than a good stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought a Hoover, August 13, 2010
I was so pleased with it!! It picks up hair like crazy!! I had bought a Shark vac for pet hair since I have three dogs and it picked up hair and then stopped working. I was disgusted. So I cam eacross this one with no loss of suction and it works well and still pulls upthe dogs' hair! I would recommend this to anyone with dogs. Mine is a windtunnel "P.A.W.S" series. I am thinking of buying another one so that I will have it for the inevitable day it just breaks down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very inconvenient product for busy housewife, August 3, 2011
Let me start by pointing out the good things about this- Light weight. Great suction. Retractable cord is awesome. The top flipping down for easy carry is a huge asset. It is nice to be able to pull the whole canister off and dump the dirt into the trash can.

BUT! This product is a hassle. I vacuum every day and if I try and do my house all at once it shuts down every other room to cool off? I have emailed Hoover and waiting on a response and explanation. Filter clogs easily and doesn't empty easily so the only option is to rinse off. This is not something anyone who wants to vacuum has time to do and wait for it to dry. I do have a big house, mostly carpet but there are only three of us living here with two dogs and we are not nasty people. We don't wear shoes in the house, eat food around the house etc... Our carpet is not a real thick grade so it just makes no sense that this product would continuously shut off. I will keep this for our upstairs but going to have to invest in something else for downstairs in order to do the whole house on a daily basis without so much hassle.

Rate and Discover Movies