4.0 out of 5 stars A good value for a lightweight, powerful vacuum
Usually I won't buy a product on Amazon without seeing at least one customer review...but at $100 I thought I'd take a chance. I wanted a lightweight vacuum with good power, one that was bagless, able to pick up animal hair, and wouldn't cost me a fortune long-term with replacement filters. So far, this vacuum fits all those criteria.

PROS
- Easy to put...
Published on December 29, 2009 by Noelle

1.0 out of 5 stars Inoperable more than operable. So bummed!
Published on May 27, 2011 by K. Sailor

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value for a lightweight, powerful vacuum, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)

PROS
- Easy to put together. It took me about 4 minutes once the pieces are out of the box. A Philips screwdriver is required to secure the handle. There's nothing complicated here.
- Long cord. Plus, there's a little cord clip up near the handle to secure the cord.
- Power. I was surprised to see how quickly this cleaned up and how much it got out of my carpet, even after my Roomba had taken a turn just before. Very good at getting fine cat hair out of a medium-pile carpet.
- Lightweight. You sacrifice a motor (i.e. it's not self-propelled), but the darn thing is so light it hardly matters. I had no trouble pushing this thing around; in fact, I found it easier to push without the motor than my bigger, heavier Bissell bagless vacuum (which weight about 10 pounds more but was self-propelled). It weighs about 15 pounds. Plus, the top of the canister serves as an additional handle for the entire vacuum, so you can pick it up in two different places.
- Easy to empty. The bottom of the canister is hinged. Push the button to unlock the canister from the vacuum, bring the canister to your garbage, and push the latch (easy to do) on the front of the canister. The darn thing just empties right out. (Just be sure you've got it over the garbage when you do!)
- Filters. The packaging says you never need to replace the HEPA filter (located at the top of the canister), and the canister's cone filter is apparently rinsable. I haven't had to deal with either yet.

CONS
One star off because of the little noises associated with operation. First, there was this weird chirping sound for about 5 minutes after using it the first time. It did, however, go away - looks like it was literally a squeaky wheel. And second, once you get something of weight in the canister, like a tiny piece of gravel, it whirls around and around and around...and you hear it whirl around and around...it's pretty loud. But overall, neither of these would keep me from purchasing again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best I've had., June 19, 2010
Amazon Customer "Marie" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I'm quite surprised at negative reviews. Of course, I'm not sure how high my expectations are as I have not owned that many vacuums. However, I do find that this does its job really well, vacuuming every last bit of pet hair out of my carpet - and that never happened to me before ! I chose it mainly because I was interested in something bagless, so I would not have to purchase bags, and the washable filters were a huge plus - no filters to buy either, you just clean them yourself. I've done so several times already with no problem whatsoever - easy and efficient. If you're a neatfreak, you're in control without having to spend more on clean bags and filters. I used to have a Eureka Boss with allergy filters. I liked it fine, I thought it did a good job, but when I got this one I realized how much I was missing. We are in a small carpeted apartment with a dog (half chow half shepherd) who sheds a lot, and never before was I able to get rid of all the hair so completely (I got down to the floor and checked!). This makes me happy to vacuum and I do it every 2 days now! I will admit it is louder than the previous one I owned, but it's worth it. It's pretty light, and its design is more aesthetic and smarter too - sure the parts themselves are a bit cheaply made, as expected. The cord is long enough for my taste, and I didn't get the model with retractable as I figure this breaks fast anyway and it only saves a couple seconds. Overall, it's the best I've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum for the Price, May 19, 2010
T. Panzek (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I was looking for a new vacuum because the Dirt Devil vacuum I had was terrible. I bought it 3 years ago when I moved into my new house and it just never worked well. I like the Hoover brand-- my mom has had her Hoover vacuum for over 30 years without major issues. I don't have pets or kids, I live alone and vacuum once a week. With that in mind, I really wasn't looking for a heavy duty or fancy vacuum. I really couldn't see paying more than $150 for a vacuum. I bought this vacuum at Best Buy for $99 after researching many differnt Hoovers. I had gift cards or I would have bought it here cheaper.

This vacuum is simple. It's lightweight, has basic attachments and works really well. When I got it home it took 5 minutes to unpack and attach the handle. I was excited to use it and see how it did. It worked great. It sucked everything up. I couldn't believe how much dust and dirt was in my carpet. I live in AZ so it does get dirty but I never really noticed since my carpet hides a lot of the dirt. This vacuum actually made my carpets look alomost brand new. It raised the nap of the carpets and when I walk on them in bare feet they actually feel clean. I used it on my tile floor too and you could actually see the dust on the floor vibrate towards the suction.

Overall, It's a good basic vacuum. It's very light-weight and easy to push. (I had to push my Dirt Devil with 2 hands it was so heavy.) The cord is long. It has different settings for different carpet types. On the lowest setting I also used it on my tile floors. The canister is easy to empty. Just make sure it's over the trash can when you push the release to empty it.

It doesn't have the automatic cord rewind, but how hard is it and how much time does it take to wrap up the cord? I couldn't justify paying an extra $30 for the automatic cord rewind. Others have said it is loud. It sounds like a normal vacuum cleaner-- What do you expect? It did make a high pitched whine the first time I used it but that did go away and I haven't heard it since. The rollers on the bottom don't stop when the attachments are being used but that hasn't affected my carpets at all. Because it is so lightweight, I can hold the handle and tilt it back so the rollers aren't touching the carpet when I use the attachments.

I've only had the vacuum a month. I haven't had any issues with the filters. It does have an idicator that turns red when the filter needs to be cleaned but it hasn't turned red yet.

I really like this vacuum cleaner and would definitely recommend it to others who are looking for a basic vacuum without all of the fancy options.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inoperable more than operable. So bummed!, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I thought I found such a deal by getting a bagless Hoover for under $100. We were replacing a very old, but surprisingly trusty Dirt Devil that was such an eye sore we thought an upgrade was really in order. This vacuum worked so well the first few times I was humming with delight as I cleaned, and actually looked forward to my chores! But within the first month, the belt broke. Hoover sent a new belt, so no huge deal, though they told us the belt isn't under warranty. Then the belt broke again a few weeks later, so we bought a new belt ourselves. I noticed it wasn't sucking as well as those first few glorious times, either. Then the motor started really smelling if I used it longer than ten minutes, and the unit was quite hot to the touch, too. So I had to be quick with my chores. Finally, the belt broke *again*. Now the vacuum is on our floor, dead and ready for burial, with dirt falling out of the bottom as it waits for me to put it out of its misery. I feel shammed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful vaccum cleaner from Amazon.com, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I purchased this Hoover bagless vaccum cleaner model UH70105 T-series from Amazon.com about a month ago. The product arrived in good shape via Fed Ex. I have been using it since and have no complaints so far. During the past 30 years I have owned three Hoover vaccum cleaners (one canister and two uprights) that are still working but they are not as powerful as this one. Besides, I wanted to try one which is bagless.

One advantage that is worth mentioning about this bagless type is that you can see the dirt, the fir balls etc. that it picks up in the plastic container. In my previous bagged vaccum cleaners I could not see all that stuff. This feature gives you some idea that how dirty your carpet was by looking at the contents in the plastic container. This machine is rated at 12 amps and has a good suction power.

Cleaning the plastic container is fairly easy but make sure you empty the contents in a wide mouth waste can/bin so that the fine particles from the container do not fall outside the can/bin.

This model dose not have light but it does not matter to me because I usually vaccum during day time and all the rooms are well lighted. This model also does not come with self winding chord. Fisrt of all it takes only few seconds to wind the chord mannually and secondly I have read some reviews where models equipped with retracting chords have become warm or cought fire or people's leg or feet get entangled with the chord or the retracting mechanism does not work altogather.

This model works equally good both on a carpet or hardwood floors. You can set the height of the brushes lower for the hardwood floor. Although the brushes will come in contact with the hardwood floor surface but I have not seen any visible scratches on my laminated hardwood floor. Besides, you can set the brushes up a notch for the hardwood floors and it will still pick up stuff. By the way I do not have any pets in my home.

When using extension hose for cleaning steps etc. the vaccum cleaner will sit completely in upright position in which case the brushes are elevated from the floor/carpet but they are still spinning. At least they are not rubbing the floor/carpet unneccessarily. There are models available where you can shut off the brushes but you also pay a little extra for that.

It is pretty quite and not very heavey and easy to use. Some of the on-board gadgets can be taken off and placed in a cabinet or some safe place. This will make the vaccum cleaner a little lighter. The filters can be take out very easily for cleaning.

One place where Hoover can show some improvement in this model will be by providing a longer flexible hose for cleaning steps etc. The power chord has adequate length for an average room. Over all I am satisfied with this product and I will certainly recommend this product to friends. Amazon.com have good deals from time to time. This is my second purchase from Amazon.com and I am happy with their service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Powerful Vacuum For A Seriously Good Price, April 11, 2011
Penelope White (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I couldn't maneuver my canister vacuum around my apartment anymore because of space resitrictions, so I decided to try one of those vacuums you get through an infomercial that's named after a mean sea creature. It SEEMED to be doing the job until I purchased my WindTunnel. More about that later.

Anyway, the vacuum is a snap to assemble. The only tool required is a Phillips screw driver. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Also, the accessories (extension wand, crevice tool, powered hand tool, upholstery tool) store neatly and out of the way and are easy to access. The cord is a whopping 30 feet, which can almost take me from one end to the other of my apartment, and the back of the vacuum handle has a clip to hold the cord out of the way when in use. The WindTunnel also offers a cord storage feature; the top prong rotates downward to make removal easy when you are ready to plug the cord in.

Two things I don't particulary like: No headlight and the noise. This is a loud vacuum, but hey, what the heck - it came at a good price and has enough good features to definitely outweigh these two trivial annoyances.

So, after assembling my WindTunnel, I took it on a test drive through about half the apartment, the main room being my combination living/dining room. I could immediately see that the WindTunnel was refreshing my carpet fibers and standing them up. After about twenty minutes of vacuuming I turned the WindTunnel off and saw that, unbelievably, the dirt cup was filled to the max. My skin started crawling as I realized that for the 9 months or so that I had owned my infomercial "Jaws" vacuum, it had been leaving all that dirt sitting in my carpet. No wonder my allergies had been so severe! Like another reviewer, since I have begun using my Hoover, I have been breathing easier. That was a lesson learned the hard way.

As to other attributes of the WindTunnel, for one it is very light and easy to maneuver. Carpet height adjustment is straightforward; it's right on the front and has a dial control. Emptying the dust cup is a piece of cake. The filters are washable and the vacuum will even tell you when you need to do any maintenance (wash filters, empty dust cup, etc.).

In conclusion, this is a well designed vacuum cleaner with powerful suction and great features at a fantastic price. Other than a couple of VERY minor (at least to me) annoyances, I would say that the WindTunnel is an extremely good value and I recommend it highely to anyone who's tired of dealing with bags and wants powerful cleaning of their carpets and rugs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but lacks an extension hose., March 20, 2011
PapaK (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
It suits my needs without having to spend many hundreds on Dyson and the like. It is quite easy to operate and provides very powerful suction. It collected a lot of material from a room that was regularly vacuumed before with a different vac. I have a suspicion that some of the stuff that it pulls out are the fibers from the carpet, so I wonder how it affects carpet's longevity. I deliberately chose the model without rewinding cord, because of the many problems associated with the rewinding mechanism. So far, the cord is manageable. Cleaning the bin is not too difficult: I open the bin while holding it inside a plastic bag. What I definitely hate about this models is the lack of a decent extension hose. The one that comes attached is too short and the little extension wand is jut pathetic. There is an official extension hose for this model, but its cost is comparable to that of the vacuum. Selling a product missing an essential part and then charging for it exuberantly seems like a dirty trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I purchased this vacuum after seeing it in action at my parents house. They've had theirs for about 6 months now, and I've had mine for about 2. It is a fantastic vacuum. It's relatively basic, but it does have a good flexible hose, a power brush that rotates when attached to the hose, and a crevice tool. Suction is great, and I love the fact that the canister opens from the bottomto empty.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good, but basic, vacuum., December 2, 2012
Bucky Katt (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
After ten years of faithful service our old Eureka bagless vacuum finally died. I mention this as our experience with that vac plays into our choice for a replacement and upon our expectations of what the new vac would be like. The old vac was so powerful that we felt it was sucking dirt right through the concrete slab of our home. It had lots of accessories, great electric cord length, and was (for the most part) trouble free. Its downside was that it was _very_ heavy (so was to difficult for my wife to use), the accessories stopped working after a short time (or we didn't really use them), the Hepa filters were impossible to find locally, and emptying the dirt container was a messy business. With that in mind we wanted a good basic vacuum that was lighter weight but still powerful and had only the accessories we would actually use.

After much searching, both in local stores and on Amazon, we opted for the Hoover T-Series vac listed here. It seemed to have generally good reviews in Amazon and appeared to be just what we were looking for. We purchased it a month ago from a Kohls Department Store as it was on sale and we had additional discounts making it less expensive than what we could buy it here with Amazon Prime. We could also get it right away which was necessary since we had been without a vac for a week.

Once we got it home I found that the assembly was a breeze and I was using it without much delay. It was much easier to use and maneuver than our old vac (wife was quite pleased with this) and has lots of suction power. The height adjustment work well to set it perfectly for the floors we have and the beater bar did a nice job lifting the carpet pile. Everything was going great until I tried using the crevice tool to get into a corner. I found that the tool extensions (rather extension) was much shorter than our old vacuum. The hose was also short and had little give. In addition, when the handle is in the upright position the beater bar does NOT stop - it just keeps on rotating / beating its way across the floor. This last bit was something I had taken for granted as every other vac we have owned always turned the beater off when the handle was upright for use of the accessories.

Of course, I wasn't aware of this (as I would have been had I actually read the instructions before using the vac - note to self do this in the future) so as I reached forward with the all-to-short crevice tool / single extension attached to the short hose, the vac rolled forward onto a small area rug that had tassel-things along it edges. The madly rotating beater bar caught hold of the tassels and literally ripped them (and part of the rug) into the vac. I heard a screech and then smelled something was burning. I turned around to see smoke coming from the vac and a large chunk of missing rug. Yikes! I shut the vac off, which was still smoking, and found a neat feature of this vac - that it has a quick release to access the beater bar and belt. A quick flick of the tabs and everything dropped free including the smoldering pieces or rug and the semi-melted belt. After cleaning everything out, and checking over the parts, I found the only problem was that the belt had a problem and would need replacement. So on its very first use I managed to destroy a rug and almost our new vacuum - my fault for not reading the manual and seeing that things were different with this vac.

Whereas finding filters for our old vac was a real problem, finding belts would be an issue for this Hoover. I could not find any locally (at least as far as I was willing to drive) so ended-up ordering from a reseller on Amazon. It only took a few days so I was happy with that. The Hoover has a washable filter which I have not yet needed to clean so cannot comment. It also has a Hepa filter that is much easier to get to than our previous vacuum, but I don't know how difficult it will be to replace at this time.

Emptying the dust collector is quite easy on this vac as you remove the entire unit from the vac to take to your trash can. Once there you push down on a tab on the outside of the canister and its bottom drops away to empty most of the dirt. I say most as there always seems to be something stuck inside the canister owing to its design with the "whirlwind turbo-flux" thing the vac uses on the inside. I did improve that problem as I found a sharp sprue on a piece of plastic inside the canister that was catching some of the carpet fibers which, in turn, caught everything into a big solid mass inside the canister. I removed the sprue with a file and that made a big difference in the amount of debris that got caught inside when you vacuumed or tried emptying the container.

One last thing to mention is that it comes with an "air-powered hand tool" for upholstery and stairs. It does a decent job but I don't think it is something that will last (this was one of the first things to break on our old vac).

To recap...

Pro:

1. Suction power.

2. Light-weight and maneuverable.

3. Easy to maintain.

4. Easy to empty / clean.

Cons:

1. Short electric cord.

2. Short vacuum hose.

3. Needs at least one more tool extension.

4. Beater bar does not stop when the handle is upright.

In all it is a good basic vacuum. We have used it for about a month now and have gotten used to its quirks. We can live with it for what we paid for it but I doubt we would buy another of this model. We will certainly do a better job in looking at the specs of vacs in the future and not take so much for granted. I hope this review will be of some help in making your vacuum purchasing decision.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I needed to replace a Eureka bagless refurb I bought over 10 years ago. The Eureka still worked fine but my daughter discarded the motor pre-filter. Eureka no longer makes the pre-filter and the vacuum doesn't work properly without it. I wanted a bagless upright with a washable HEPA filter. I decided to give the Hoover brand a try because they have been around a long time and got similar reviews to the Eureka. I also didn't like Eureka's discontinuation of supplying something basic like a filter.

I selected the 12 amp T-series with no cord rewind or "headlight" because I wanted strong suction and few "features" to break and no bags or filters to buy.

The vacuum arrived quickly and was easy to set up. All you need to do is attach the handle with one screw. I should have checked the belt but I wanted to test the suction so I plugged it in and pressed the power switch. The suction was not impressive and I noticed a smell so I tried to switch off the power without success. I unplugged it and tried to wiggle the switch to make it turn off but it stayed in the on position. I disassembled the arm and removed the plastic switch cover so I could operate the switch by putting my finger in the hole in the arm where the switch cover used to be.

The belt was halfway torn through and off the motor shaft. I remounted it and turned it on again. The belt broke completely in seconds but my modified switch worked well. My wife wanted to send it back but I am the World's Best Customer and I decided to give Hoover customer service a call. They sent me a belt which will arrive in a week or ten days. Meanwhile I tried it out without the powered brushroller. The suction is ok and I filled the canister about 20% in a few minutes. The vacuum-powered "upholstery" brush works ok if you don't press it down much. I have a Bissel carpet washer with a motor-powered upholstery tool and it works a lot better but you can't expect much from a vacuum-powered brush like the Hoover.

The other tools are an extension wand, a crevice tool and a dust brush. The crevice tool has a tip about 1 square inch in area. This is the maximum suction and it sucks well but only in a tiny area. I have never found much use for a brush tool. It works but I would have preferred a hard plastic rug nozzle. The single extension wand is also disappointing. The specifications say the hose extends 8 feet. Maybe so, but the vac is so light that when I tried cleaning my window frames I lifted the vac off the ground. Of course light-weight is a feature.

Overall I gave it 3 out of 5 for being satisfactory but not superior. I think the poorly-designed switch will result in many of these being offered as 'refurb' units after less-tolerant shoppers than I start returning them. I was wanting the washable HEPA filter so I'm giving this unit the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps I will change my mind and update this review after I have used it a while.

Update: The replacement belt from Hoover arrived and works well. The belt was fairly easy to install once I pulled the whole brush roller out and examined how it fit back in.

Female members of the family like this vacuum a lot. Cleaning performance is very good and it's light enough for my 10 year old daughter to push around. Everyone commented on the short hose but for carpets or rugs it doesn't matter. I believe Hoover should include an extra belt with the purchase and redesign the sticky power switch.

Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright