Published on March 5, 2007 by doctor_beth

1.0 out of 5 stars a waste of money.
I had a Hoover Windtunnel Supreme bagged upright vacuum in 2000. It worked very well until sometime in 2003, when I replaced it. I have a dog and two cats, so I need a good vacuum. I replaced it with highly rated vacuum, that also worked well for three years until it started going downhill. So I got another Hoover Windtunnel Supreme Bagged Upright.

This new...
Published on February 21, 2007 by Tracie

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing miraculous here, just a solid perfomer and a good overall value, March 5, 2007
This review is from: Hoover U5468-900 WindTunnel Supreme Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
When my husband and I decided to replace our 12-year old Hoover, we did hours of internet research on vacuums. Eventually, we decided to stick with a bag model, as dealing with canisters and filters sounded like too much trouble (plus, we don't have pets, so we didn't really see the need). After weighing various factors, from special features to ease of use to price, we decided to go with this Hoover Windtunnel model.

We got a great price using Amazon's discount offer, and the vacuum shipped very quickly despite our choice of Super Saver shipping. The unit required only simple assembly, although I should note that our package was missing a required bolt, so we had to contact Hoover for a replacement and wait another week or so before we were able to complete assembly and use the vacuum. Finally, we had the opportunity to try our new product. The first thing we noticed was the sound, as this vacuum, while still loud, is noticeably quieter than our old Hoover. Second, the cord is significantly longer (about 30 feet), which is very convenient for maneuvering around our home. My husband also appreciated the convenience of the headlight, although to be fair, most newer models include this feature.

As far as cleaning ability goes, this vacuum does a good job. It doesn't necessarily out-perform our old vacuum, but it does seem to stir up less dust. Also, the larger vacuum head speeds up the chore time a bit (although it also makes it harder to fit in tight places). The dirt indicator light did seem to be consistent with areas that required a bit more attention, which was nice. Another feature of this vacuum is the build-in handle at the unit's base for cleaning stairs; this was a nice idea, but my husband (who does the majority of the vacuuming in our house--lucky me!) found it to be a bit cumbersome and uncomfortable to use.

Overall, we are happy with our choice of this vacuum, a solid performer that can be purchased via Amazon at a very reasonable price. If you are living in a home with no pets and looking for a good basic vacuum, this would be an excellent choice.

UPDATE JULY 2008: Unfortunately, I need to downgrade my review of this vacuum, as its performance has deteriorated over time, and we are currently in the market to purchase a new one. My husband, who is the main user of the vacuum, compiled the following list of complaints:

1. The on/off switch ceased working shortly after the one-year warranty period expired. Currently, the vacuum can only be turned on or off by plugging and unplugging the unit from an electrical outlet.

2. The height adjuster failed, also shortly after the one-year warranty period expired; the vacuum now leaves an odd-looking wave pattern on the carpet unless it is used at the highest setting (which is the least effective).

3. The natural forward momentum of the vacuum stopped after only a few months of use, making the unit more difficult to push.

4. The dirt indicator light seems arbitrary and thus virtually useless.

5. The vacuum is awkward to use on stairs: the place to grab is not a handle--rather, it is just an indentation in the plastic, which becomes painful to hold after only a few seconds.

6. The cord does not remain attached to the clamps on vacuum during use: when the cord is fully extended, it pulls loose of the clamps, causing it to constantly get underfoot.

7. The vacuum's motor "revs" loudly at random times and for no apparent reason.

8. The dirt bags are difficult both to attach and to remove.

9. The vacuum does not perform well on hard floors: it blows dirt around, necessitating several passes.

10. The vacuum feels heavy and has a wide head, making cleaning in tight spaces difficult.

1.0 out of 5 stars a waste of money., February 21, 2007
Tracie "tracieknits" (Saratoga Springs, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

This new on is a piece of junk. I've had it two months, gone through 2 belts, and I'm ready to throw it in the garbage. It's lighter weight than the last one, and doesn't seem to work as well. It doesn't even hold together well - for example, the end keeps coming off of the handle as I vacuum.

Did I mention it just doesn't work very well? Because it really doesn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as my last Hoover!, February 23, 2006
I had the original to this which was eight years old. It worked absolutely great. We put it to rest recently and purchased this as the replacement model. This model is almost identical to the one I had eight years ago with a few nice improvements.

I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good suction with some design flaws, June 23, 2006
I agree wholeheartedly with Tammy's review -- the hose is too short and when you tug on it just a little, the whole vacuum tips over on you. Tammy is right again: the attachments don't stay on very well (need a tighter fit). But the suction of both the vacuum and the hose is powerful. The hose is so easy to use; pull out and re-attach without any fiddling. I also like the fact that it uses a bag that is easy to change without having dust billowing everywhere. Putting on a new bag is also a cinch. For that, I am buying another one for use in my basement alone as it's rather heavy to haul this vacuum up and down stairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best vacuum I've ever owned., December 13, 2006
I've owned a few vacuums. The worst was Kenmore. I real horror, totally worthless. My Mother in law had this vacuum and we borrowed it when our Kenmore was broken and I fell in love. Yes, the hose is a little too short and can be annoying, but the VACUUM itself does an awesome job. We've had ours for about 4 years and it's just as good as the day we bought it. It's very powerful and I love the bag, because I don't like emptying the canister on the bagless ones. Seems unsanitary to me, like a dust storm!! This is a terrific value and terrific vacuum. You will not be disappointed. I will keep this as long as it works and buy another windtunnel when this one kicks the bucket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum!, September 4, 2006
Pam B (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This is my second Hoover Supreme; the first one finally died after 10+ years. This is the best vacuum I have ever owned, the only downside is that the hose for attachments is a bit too short and the vacuum topples over, but otherwise a great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow.. for me a big improvement, July 9, 2006
K. Biddle (Northwest Mississippi) - See all my reviews
of course, my first vacuum was a $45 bagless and it lasted about a year and a half with okay performance. this thing, even tho it's not "self propelled," to me felt like it was pulling and helping me out. and the edge cleaner is impressive. yes, it does tip over when you use the attachments. i figured out that if you pull the attachment hose out and hold it, it doesnt tip the vacuum over.

5.0 out of 5 stars (used to )Love this vacuum, January 19, 2007
I originally gave this vacuum a 5. However after 4 months of use it went downhill fast. My first Windtunnel that I bought this to replace now outperforms it's newer brethren. A defective model perhaps? Regardless I am sorely disappointed in Hoover this time around. And of course it is out of warranty..

--Original review below --This is a great vacuum. I bought my first windtunnel several years ago and just recently needed to replace it. The vacuum is still going strong but I've run over the cord a few too many times and the cord is starting to fray. Aside from that I'm sure it would be good for a few more years. Anyway I liked my windtunnel so much that after shopping around I decided to replace it with the exact same vacuum. It's powerful and reliable. The only negative I can think of is that the hose is a little short, the vacuum will tip over if you stretch it too far.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST VACUUM, August 6, 2006
I clean houses for a living and this vacuum has been WONDERFUL!! I have used MANY varities of vacuums, from very expensive to dirt cheap ones. This vacuum has the BEST quality of performance for the BEST price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Hoover, May 10, 2006
M. Wolfe (Tyler, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this Hoover after my old 10 years+ model died. I simply love the new one. It moves so smoothly over the carpet and and makes less noise than the old vacuum. I specifically want a bagged vacuum (I hate bagless) and couldn't be happier with this model. It is not self-propelled and that is not a problem with me. So far it has exceeded my expectations.

Rate and Discover Movies