4.0 out of 5 stars Great Vac
Published on October 10, 2004 by A. Haley

2.0 out of 5 stars MAKES A GREAT BOAT ANCHOR!
I write this review only by chance, because my real reason for visiting Amazon.com today is to replace this very product.
I have always trusted Consumer Reports, finding their reviews pretty much on the money, but despite their glowing report on this product, (quoted here by another reviewer) reality has proved far less luminous.
I have struggled with this vac...
Published on December 31, 2003 by Martee Crosson

2.0 out of 5 stars MAKES A GREAT BOAT ANCHOR!, December 31, 2003
Martee Crosson (LAKE IN THE HILLS, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoover U6439-900 Self-Propelled WindTunnel Ultra Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
I have struggled with this vac for over a year now, and honestly, I wish I had never bought it! If it hadn't cost so darn much, I'd have tossed it out long ago.
On the positive side, this machine has plenty of suction - but unless you have miles of unobstructed wall-to-wall carpet and a single level home, it simply sucks! The self-propelled feature is quite helpful: more on that farther down.
The vac is too bulky to fit under/between most of my furniture. Even if the head gets under, the body does not lay flat enough to follow. I spend WAY too much time on my hands and knees struggling with the poorly placed hose, extensions and powered brush attachment to get under normal items like chairs. In addition, its wimpy "powered" brush (which spins only by suction with no motor of its own) only picks up light surface dirt anyway. Push down harder and it just stops turning. BAH!
As another reviewer mentioned, beware when using the tools on this vac. Mine also falls over all the time (timber!) and because it weighs a freaking ton, beware of falling over yourself if you have to carry it upstairs! GADS! And forget cleaning those stairs on the way up, too. I had to purchase another small, hand-held vac for that.
Other complaints: The adjusters for bare floor/carpet are very hard to move and break easily. It does not clean close to walls at all (get out that hose again!). The bags are not all that easy to change, and quite pricey. It eats belts. And why, oh WHY, does the cord (which you have to wind up yourself - no cord reel) come out on the bottom?
Did I mention it's HEAVY?? If it weren't self-propelled, it would be immobile. The vac cannot be rolled at all when turned off, making storage difficult.
In summary, unless your home resembles a hotel lobby - pass this one up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Vac, October 10, 2004
I bought that after having an old Eureka for about 10 years. I thought the Eureka was okay, until I brought this home. The Eureka had missed so much dirt and dog hair! I practically filled the entire bag on my first use! As a response to some of the bad reviews here...first of all, all vacuums with good suction are heavy. All of the vacs in the top 10 or 20 on Consumer Reports are about 20 pounds. If you can't lift 20 pounds, you shouldn't buy this. But you should have figured that out if you tried it out at the store. Attachments are super easy to take on and off and work well. The mini vac can get clogged with dog hair if you use it for stairs, I use the furniture attachment. I like it, I think it was a good investment. I'm unsure about some other reviewers expectations...it's going to be heavy, it's going to be loud, it's a vaccum cleaner. All I care about is that it works well and lasts a long time-- which for me, it has.

1.0 out of 5 stars THUMBS DOWN- HOOVER CUSTOMER SERVICE/HOOVER DEALERS/HOOVER U6439-900, February 12, 2006
I was forced to enter "1 star" above - it is a required field.

I bought a Hoover U6439-900 Self Propelled Vacuum approximately 6 months ago and, like some of you, gave it the 5 star salute for the first couple of months.

Then the stars started falling - Turn the vacuum on, push it around a few times and this ear-splitting squeal would force me to turn it off- sometimes fearing possible harm to my hearing. First couple of times I checked the rollers, checked the Hoover bag, cleaned off a little bit of lint on the rollers, plugged it back in and after no more than 30 seconds- the screeching was back- louder than ever.

A big waste of time was spent attempting to get a human at the big Hoover in the sky to answer the phone, call me back and/or respond to my email. Finally someone must have mistakenly answered the phone because I did speak to a person and asked what I should do as the machine was less than 6 months old. I was immediately advised to take it to a Hoover dealer. What about a warranty? HUH?? HELLo??? Must have gotten disconnected. I even felt like I was overstepping the boundaries by calling Hoover about their product. Maybe $400 isn't enough to warrant a warranty - even if it is a "Hoover Limited" no warranty.

So off I go to the "registered" Hoover dealer (Atlanta, GA - big shop - big Hoover logo splashed across the store windows) Picked it up three hours later-(he's a very busy Hoover dealer) He had given it a $76 "tune Up" (4 months old and in need of a tune up?) He also advised that the belts had to be replaced because they had burned up.

I mean, What do I know - maybe this is a normal thing for a $400 vacuum cleaner to burn up after minimal use in a one occupant home?

So $76 dollars later, back at home, I turn on my Hoover and enjoy almost 15 minutes of vacuuming before the ear-splitter starts up again. And again the Roller brush stops turning.

Back to the Hoover dealer we go. Like magic -without even opening up the machine (Hoover must really train their dealers to develop such skills) he is able to diagnose the problem as "burned up belts". He adds that it happens all the time with this model. How, I asked, could this be? A Hoover dealer certified "tune up", belt replacement, and $76 only got me 15 minutes of vacuuming my living room carpet - absolutely normal carpet, not shag, plush, berber or any kind of fancy?

The roller guard was skillfully removed so that the burned up belts could be viewed. But wait - there they were - BRAND NEW, NO NICKS OR ANY MELTING VISIBLE, IN PRISTINE CONDITION, TWO CLEAN BELTS SHOWING THE HOOVER PART NUMBERS IN CRYSTAL CLEAR IN WHITE LETTERS ON THE SHINY BLACK BELTS -

IT WAS PRETTY OBVIOUS TO ME THAT THIS HOOVER HADN'T SPENT MUCH TIME ON THE JOB AFTER THE $75 TUNE UP. BUT THEN WHAT DO I KNOW?

So the skilled and "registered" Hoover dealer said "the only thing I can tell you is to change the belts again - sometimes that fixes the problem- but I don't have time to do it today."

Then I thoughtI heard him say "you better buy 4 belts because this happens a lot and you will need some spares."

It must be real because there is a new Hoover receipt for $36 on my kitchen counter, four plastic Hoover bags, each containing a brand new Hoover belt, and on the floor in the dining room is a useless, almost new, Hoover U6439-900 vacuum cleaner with two brand new Hoover belts recently installed by a skilled Hoover dealer AND I STILL CANNOT VACUUM MY CARPET.

I solved the problem today by ordering a Kenmore Progressive 35922. The interesting difference I've noted in past and recent experiences with Hoover and Sears - is that Sears will actually talk to you and resolve your issue without passing the buck and sending you off to a "registered dealer" who will take your money and apparently does not have to show Hoover proof that he gave good service to a Hoover customer.

I REGRET THAT I BOUGHT THE HOOVER U6439-900 SELF PROPELLED WINDTUNNEL. MY EXPERIENCE HAS AMOUNTED TO A WASTE OF VALUABLE TIME AND MONEY. A LOT OF MONEY AND A LOT OF TIME.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please heed the negative reviews - I didn't!!, December 14, 2004
When it comes to vacuums, Hoover is all I know. I have one that's five years old and have never had a problem. But we wanted one with a HEPA filter. Purchasing this item was a slam-dunk, especially after Consumer Reports rated it no. 1.

I read the negative reviews, but chose to ignore them - those folks must have had isolated bad experience. I WAS WRONG.

Today I am returning the 2nd of these machines I received from amazon in the past 3 weeks. The first one sparked and smoke poured out after I first turned it on. After the smoke a burning smell remained and the dirt finder and headlight would not work. No big deal, I let amazon know, boxed it up and UPS took it away.

Last night the replacement arrived. I got it all set to go, plugged it in and carefully turned it on. IT WORKED GREAT! No smoke, no smell, all of the lights worked, including a very powerful headlight. BUT after 5 minutes of vacuuming this awful growling noise started coming from the self propelled feature. When I turned self propelled off, no noise. I was furious. I called Hoover this morning, figuring I would give them a shot before returning to the vac to amazon. Hoover told me to take it to a service dealer 30 miles from my home - for a brand new product this is unacceptable.

I decided to return it to amazon and ask for a 3rd replacement. Stupid, huh? Well, amazon saved me from my stupidity. They will not send another and will refund my money.

Today I purchased the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 - no. 2 on Consumer's list and half the price of the Hoover. I'll post my review on it upon receipt. Want to bet it'll be better than this one? I should have read the Eureka reviews there before purchasing this one. I will stay away from Hoovers until I hear that they've resolved their quality issues.

BOTTOM LINE - DO NOT BUY THIS VACUUM.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Consumer Reports, December 29, 2004
H. Thome "MrsT" (Tustin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVED the review from Bookslave it made me laugh! Unfortunately I have to echo most of her review. I too did my research on Consumer Reports to find the best vacuum and thought this was it. In terms of suction it is pretty good, although for hard surfaces like my tile floors, it doesn't seem to do that great of a job. In fact, it works better on floors with the carpet setting than the hard setting. It is a bit heavy but that doesn't bother me, only when you stretch the hose and it teeters over and clobbers you in the head is it a nuisance. The self propel function does work well (good thing for mine because I can't turn it off) and gives more ease to vacuuming. I've always had a Hoover and for the money I spent, won't be buying a new one right away, but the next time, I will seriously look into other brands.

Good Luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just bought, September 19, 2005
I just bought this vacuum without reading any reviews. So, I may write back in a few months having changed my mind. After the reviews on this website, I think it important to state a few things. Full size upright vacuums are heavier than smaller vacuums and less maneuverable, but they have more power and clean better. The self-propelled option increases the weight but makes it easier to push. To maneuver it after it is turned off, tip it onto the back wheels and it will maneuver quite easily. To change the carpet height and carpet/floor adjustment levers, it is very important that the handle be pushed all the way forward so that the levers release. They will then move quite easily. This should be done with your hands, not your feet. All upright vacuum cleaners clog more easily than cannister vacuums because the dirt must go around the brush roller and into the hose. Toothpicks, paper clips, small papers (even the size of gum wrappers), bottle caps, toys, nails, screws and coins, etc. must be picked up, not vacuumed up. If you vacuum them up, they will either clog the hose (and reduce suction) or jam in the roller bar and the belt will smoke. You must turn off the vacuum and clear the jam. If you don't, the belt will break and/or the vacuuum will overheat. If it overheats, the vacuum has (thankfully) an overheat sensor that shuts it off until the temperature cools off or it would catch fire. You must clear the jam before resuming vacuuming. When winding the cord, it is important to wind gently because the plastic on the outside of the cord is more stretchy than the wires inside. If you wind the cord fast and/or hard, the wires on the inside will break or detach. These are upright vacuum basics. So far, this vacuum performs quite well as did the previous model that I owned for ten years. The Hepa bags are more expensive, but they work better. After all, the whole purpose is to clean. If a person wants a vacuum to pick up toothpicks, pieces of paper, and other debris, they need to buy a shop vac with a very large hose (and extra heavy duty cord) not an upright vacuum cleaner. I'll let you know how I like it in the months to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum, June 20, 2005
Clean Freak "Erik" (Oklahoma City, OK.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this vacuum about 2 weeks ago and have used it extensively throughout the house. It works great. My ancient Eureka vacuum was broken and we had been comparison shopping and researching for the past few months. Our friends had purchased the Dyson DC14 pet vacuum and raved about how it picked up so much. So, we had them bring it to our house to test it out. It picked up a bunch of hair and dirt and we commented about how well it worked. However, my wife inspected and there was still some (not much) pet hair on the floor.

We were set to buy a Dyson and dish out a great deal of money because of how well we saw it work. I researched Consumer Reports thinking the Dyson would get a rave review. That is when we discovered the Hoover U6439-900. We decided we would buy it and if it didn't work well, return it for the Dyson. Two days after our friends used the Dyson at the home, we used the Hoover. The pets had not been in the house, so there was no new pet hair. The vacuum picked up a lot of pet hair, but more importantly TONS of dirt and dust that was embedded in our carpet.

For the first time in years, the carpet pile is up and not crushed down. We again inspected and couldn't find a single pet hair in the areas I vacuumed. We compared that to the areas last cleaned by the Dyson and found several hairs on the carpet. The pile also wasn't plush in the areas not vacuumed by the Hoover. It is a great vacuum.

However, the hand tools are not the greatest. Dyson's idea of the hose attachment actually being a part of the vacuum and not an accessory is billiant. The Hoover attachments lack significantly when compared to the power of the vacuum itself. It is heavy, but we have a single story home and the self propell feature makes it very easy for my wife to use. Overall, I think it is a great vacuum and a good value. I know there are a lot of Dyson lovers out there and they are a good vacuum. However for another $300 above this one, they should do a perfect job. I can bear witness that they don't do as great as many claim. For those who want a great vacuum at a price more of us can afford, I would recommend this one.

My best advised is go somewhere and try out the vacuums side by side or have a friend bring theirs over. You can decide which one is right for you.

Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Disappointment, April 30, 2006
Wendy Wallace "W. Wallace" (Bainbridge Island, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I had to add my two cents here after seeing some of the positive reviews. I, too, would have written praise for this machine early on. However, perhaps a year and a half or two years after my husband bought this machine, we have had all kinds of problems. The great suction is gone. There are burning smells sometimes, the hose gets clogged, the belt falls off and/or stretches out, and something is wrong with the self-propel feature which makes this very heavy machine impossible to push! I thought vacuums were supposed to last for years and years, and this thing is about to get tossed. I'd give it 0 stars actually. Truly disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 years with biweekly use, December 30, 2004
Onmyohn3 (Roselle, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I've owned the sister model(6425-900) of this Vac since October of 2000, but I'm a lousy housekeeper and probably only used it 10 times over the first 2 years. One year it was only used on hardwood floors. However, once I bought my own place in 2002, bi-weekly vacuuming became the standard.

The good news:

1)The belts on this vacuum are still in pristine condition. So, the "cheapest" item to replace was NOT what broke on this model.

2) I got great suction the first two years.

The bad news:

1) The Self Propelled mechanism stopped working 2 months ago.

2) The bag level indicator stopped working about a year ago

3) As most reviewers pointed out, it is incredibly heavy.

4) Also, it's too big to fit under my kitchen baseboards. We recently had cream colored cabinets installed and now I've seeing marks where the green paint on the vacuum tansferred to the cabinets. Time to break out the attachments.

5) The suction power has degraded significantly. I vacuumed a 10 foot by 8 foot room tonight TWICE and then shampooed the carpet. My rug steamer picked up 3 times more pet hair than the vacuum did.

I guess it's time for my to check out a Dyson.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible build quality, September 1, 2005
Yes, I too went by Consumer Reports. I had a Walmart Hoover Windtunnel that was $130 and still works well. When moving to a new house last year I purchased this one. It is currently in the shop for the third time. So far the self-propel mechanism has broken once and never fixed properly; belts go frequently (which Consumer Reports doesn't count as a repair - see small print in Oct05 ratings). Also the carpet/floor and carpet height adjusters keep breaking and finally the roller has twice stopped working. I've gone to three different repair shops and the repairmen all say the same thing - this machine is poorly engineered with way too many parts and too much cheap plastic. It does clean well when it works but it is too unreliable. Will not buy Hoover again.